Metal Storm logo
Your favorite song to play on guitar (and why!)

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 16.11.2006 - 16:58
the title says it all
in my case it's phantom of the opera by maiden(the best song out of the ones i know to play on guitar,it's just breathtaking), eramaarjavi by nightwish(fantastic melody), breaking the law by priest(:banger:), el mariachi(melancholic and catchy), and seasons in the abyss by slayer(recomended for guys who wanna become shredders)
so....what do you like to play on the guitar?
14.07.2008 - 18:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by RockeRoy on 11.12.2007 at 12:33

also Gary moore-still got the blues because it's cool to improvise over the verse parts!

imo Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust is also a great song to improvise to.
16.07.2008 - 04:11
bass line to black label, it just sounds so fucking good
22.07.2008 - 00:31
NECURATU
I believe it's the Moonlight Sonata right now, sounds so deep and spooky on bass.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
22.07.2008 - 17:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Jack the Riffer on 16.07.2008 at 04:11

bass line to black label, it just sounds so fucking good

Written by NECURATU on 22.07.2008 at 00:31

I believe it's the Moonlight Sonata right now, sounds so deep and spooky on bass.

heh... pesky bassists! get your own thread
22.07.2008 - 21:58
NECURATU
well on gitarrr i've been strumming turn the page for the last couple of days, to be on topic
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
09.02.2009 - 21:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Right now it's Saxon- Princess of the Night, the main riff is so well balanced: easy enough to bang my head and shake my ass like a maniac when i play it but fast enough to keep me on my feet lol

i seem to get some kind of spasm every time i play it maybe it's the SG shape which makes me go like Angus Young(well not really that extreme)

anyway extremely kickass tune, reccomend it to anyone who likes nwobhm/80s metal.
07.03.2009 - 21:51
Saitenhexerin
Iron Maiden - The Trooper - because it is so much fun and such a great song. The rhythm guitar is great, all that gallooping!
Iron Maiden - Fear Of the Dark - all these changes from slow to fast and the variations really provide a base for a highly entertaining song!

Led Zeppelin - Livin Lovin Maid it has such a great rhythm guitar!

Deep Purple - Highway Star - one of my alltime favourites, due to its dynamic drive.

Guns N' Roses - Don't Cry (solo), November Rain [...] I love all the Slash-solos, and they are really great to play and you can put a lot of you own feeling in and they still sound good!

Machine Head - Halo, Davidian, Clenching the Fists of Dissent, Beautiful MOurning (and a lot more) I love all those harmonics and fast rhythm guitars and their melodic interludes!

Saxon - allmost all songs! Pure heavy metal, fun to play!

Metallica - Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, Battery [aso] their songs are just great!

Skid Row - Youth gone Wild, Wasted Time, Big Guns Skid Row's hooklines pretty kick ass and they are quite easy to play!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
10.03.2009 - 00:20
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
Because it's sounds so much harder than it actually is.
10.03.2009 - 18:54
Yossarian
"For the Love of God" by Steve Vai.
It is the most spectacular and skilled song I have ever met.
Of course, I can't play it perfect or completely, because otherwise I would not be working as an administrative.
I did not realise it was so hard while listening to it. I did just when I saw a live video and later tried to play it my own while watching it...fucking impossible. That man was clearly born on the 6 of the sixth month of 1966

The introduction for "Troops of Doom" by Sepultura. I have played it with a couple of bands and it kinda makes me melancholic for old times when I play it now. The riff is great and the drum power of this song is fantastic. We used to have it as intro to our concerts back in 1990 with "Lepracore". I never got out of my province with any band except two concerts in the neighbouring province. We were only known in our city mainly. I had another 3 bands but never achieved or recorded anything with them.
17.03.2009 - 05:45
ToMegaTherion
Battery - Metallica

Its easy and it the only song that I can play properly.
20.03.2009 - 17:08
terrorist
Megadeth - 99 ways to die,very interesting to play.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
30.03.2009 - 23:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 10.03.2009 at 00:20

lol amen to that.. also Judas Priest- Hellbent for Leather is one of those songs
31.03.2009 - 03:48
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2009 at 23:33

lol amen to that.. also Judas Priest- Hellbent for Leather is one of those songs

I need to try that.
31.03.2009 - 09:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 31.03.2009 at 03:48

Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2009 at 23:33

I need to try that.

the tapping part in "hellbent" is the real finisher
04.04.2009 - 08:09
His Eminence
Account deleted
War Pigs by Black Sabbath. It's one of the few songs I can actually play the solo in it.
04.04.2009 - 09:17
tulkas
el parcero
If i were a guitarist, which sadly i am not as you might have guessed already, i'd sure like to play led zeppelin's black dog, i just love the guitar on that song. also, foo fighter's everlong, that song always gets me going, it's amazing. but, overall, i'd like to be a guitarist worthy of a progressve band, be just like petrucci!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
08.04.2009 - 18:47
-Soulreaper-
That would be Death-Spirit Crusher. Just a fun damn song to play.
15.04.2009 - 02:17
Wyrd
Mind Traveler by Falconer, What a Killer riff!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
06.05.2009 - 21:49
El condor pasa the easiest one...
08.05.2009 - 15:27
Saitenhexerin
My new favourite: Trapped under Ice by Metallica
this really rocks^^

And I can do now vocals and guitar on halo an clenching the fists of dissent by Machine Head^^
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
16.06.2009 - 15:07
Warlock84
'Burnt Offerings' by Iced Earth. That is just a great tune with a lot of hooks, time changes, and hand technique. 'Breaking The Law' by Judas Priest... just a great classic. 'Gettysburg 1863' in it's entirety by Iced Earth... one of the best pieces of music I have ever heard, and it was a challenge learning those 32 minutes of kick-ass epic metal note for note. Finally 'Pinball Map' by In Flames... just a very high energy song with some great riffs and hooks.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
19.06.2009 - 05:36
Diclonius
Account deleted
Some of my favorites:
Sepultura- Inquisition Symphony (I just love that tapping solo)
Metallica- Master Of Puppets, For Whom The Bell Tolls (both of them kickass)
Slayer- Angel Of Death, Raining Blood, War Ensemble, Chemical Warfare (cuz I like to improvise the solos)
Terrorizer- Dead Shall Rise (simple and killer)
Kreator- Enemy Of God (good for impressing chicks )
19.06.2009 - 22:33
Bobby_Loggins
Account deleted
I love to play Technical Difficulties by Racer X. Sure I dont play it anywhere near as good as the godly Paul Gilbert but the song sounds totaly awesome and was not as difficult to learn as I thought it would (I cant play all the solos though!) .
24.06.2009 - 23:03
ANGEL REAPER
At the moment DIMMU BORGIR -Broderskapets Ring-------Man thats the first song that i learned to play and to growl......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.09.2009 - 01:07
Carcass - Corporeal Jigsaw Quandry. Sounds good even without downtuning to B and sounds good when improving solos, which I barely ever bother to learn these days... too much hassle, am I right?
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
11.10.2009 - 15:39
Archetype
Buckethead - Welcome to Bucketheadland
Racer X - Technical Difficulties

Great for warm-ups, they've both got a bit of speed to them so they really get the hands moving. Oh and Welcome to Bucketheadland was one of the first full songs I ever learned to play so I always go back to it.
25.10.2009 - 14:27
proglamer
I think it's Embody The Invisible by In Flames. Actually I even don't know why
10.11.2009 - 20:09
dEAthB3D
Of course always with me always with you by Professor Satch
it's easy and relaxing
and Spheres of Madness by decapitated... it's for warming up before i play gig
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
21.01.2010 - 01:16
..ExoTeaR..
Lamb Of God - 11th hour, Ruin, Laid to rest. its just easy as fuck to play and i can move around a bit
Slayer - Spirit in black, good warm up for my arm << got alot of down picking

otherwise its just alot of my own material to practise skills with.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
19.02.2010 - 04:29
whatsacow
Its not metal, but ocean - john butler trio: fucking fast as
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?