Metal Storm logo
Best Death Metal Debut?

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 19.11.2006 - 08:33
Now That I pretty much own all the key essential death metal debuts,and I have had the time to enjoy and decide which had the greatest effect on me,I was curious to what you thought?It may be a very difficult decision,being all of the albums are magnificent in their own way,but what comes to mind as the most groundbreaking?I believe all of these albums played a part in defining the genre,but what album was more important than "Scream Bloody Gore"?It gave birth to the extreme gore lyrical themes,and intense gutteral vocals,that all death bands would use.So that is the reason behind my choice for best debut,Chuck you where and are an innovative genius.Yeah I might've left out some personal favs.,but I cant please everyone.

Poll

which?

Morbid Angel-Altars Of Madness
Death-Scream Bloody Gore
Posessed-Seven Churches
Cannibal Corpse-Eaten Back To Life
Entombed-Left Hand Path
Obituary-Slowly We Rot
Deicide-Self Titled
Suffocation-Effigy Of The Forgotten
Immolation-Dawn Of Possession

Total votes: 140
15.06.2007 - 22:36
Stigmatized
Written by Mega-Slayer on 15.06.2007 at 22:34

Written by Stigmatized on 15.06.2007 at 22:28

I'm really surprised that CC doesn't have a single vote.

Well their debut has many classic death metal songs, "Skull Full Of Maggots","Put Them To Death","Shredded Humans","Born In A Casket", and "Mangled", but there are alot of filler songs imo.

Well, not only that, but I figured they would have at least one vote due to their popularity.
16.06.2007 - 08:52
graywolf87
Account deleted
Scream Bloody Gore
16.06.2007 - 21:08
Infurnace
I like all the cd's in the list, above. But the cd I listen to the most, is "Altars Of Madness", by Morbid Angel. And my second choice would be "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death
20.06.2007 - 06:46
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Slowly We Rot by Obituary is one of those timeless metal classics that people can still throw on today and say "It's Heavy!" because as the interview in the rerelease discribes... "It's like being hit by a Rino on speed!" Its a catchy, memorable album with a great atmosphere.
20.06.2007 - 10:03
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Well it was a toughie between Altars, Scream Bloody Gore and Seven Churches. But I think I enjoy that Morbid Angel debut the most so my vote went for them.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
20.06.2007 - 10:46
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.06.2007 at 08:52

Scream Bloody Gore

I'm surprised the mods have not picked up on this yet, for the obvious reason.

I would personally say "Altars Of Madness" would be my favourite, though it is a tough choice, since I also like Death's and Obituary's debuts, but probably not to the extent that I like Morbid Angel's debut, it's always a solid listen for me and I can't see that changing anytime soon. What also separated it from the other two choices would be that it brings back memories of when I delved further into metal during my early teen years and is also an epitome for other bands in the scene (As were the others, though it's arguably greater in this case).
23.06.2007 - 22:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
it was har for me to choose between DEATH and CANNIBAL CORPSE in this list ... finaly, i chose CANNIBAL CORPSE.
however i beleave that best death metal debut is HUNTED of SIX FEET UNDER
23.09.2007 - 06:10
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Death's Scream Bloody Gore - an absolutely awesome ?DM? album - rips all the tohers!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
23.09.2007 - 07:08
selken
Irreligious
I don't have a strong reason for voting for CC's EBTL, but that one is which I listen the most
----
23.09.2007 - 11:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Just a little note
Altars Of Madness technically speaking ISN'T MA's debut since they had already recorded Abominations of Desolation and that one was somehow shelved and replaced by Altars as debut.

this is a toughy since the following four albums are my absolute favourites out of this list

Death - Scream loody Gore
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Entombed - Left Hand Path

then followed closely by:

and then:
Posessed-Seven Churches
this album never did much for me when it was initially released and only started growing on me years later.

but the other two:
Deicide-Self Titled
I am not going to waste my time on since I still consider them to be crap at best.

So now I'll have to choose between my top 4 of those and they did make a HUGE impact on me when they were released...

mmm, I think I'll have to go with Altars Of Madness (although in reality this is of course not Morbid Angel's debut technically speaking since they had already recorded Abominations of Desolation and that one was somehow shelved and replaced by Altars as debut)
because of the four tops this is the one I played most often.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2007 - 11:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bad English on 19.11.2006 at 10:30

Interesting pool and I never had thinking about those things

I never had hear Immolation-''Dawn Of Possession'' and Suffocation-''Effigy Of The Forgotten' never had hear those bands

Entombed album are good, werry good, but it goe sout of this pool because its Europa not USA and lil difeernt death metal sound

I woud vote for

Posessed-''Seven Churches' because I realy love this album and its so great and its lil thrash mix there too simmilar album are Slaughter - ''Strappado'' and also Monstrocity - ''Imperial Doom'' shood be here and band Nocturnus - ''Tyhe Key'' are good and hmm Sepultura - ''Morbid Visions'' are good deaatrh metal clasic

IMO it shood eb US Death metal best debaut album Its easyer

so my vote goes for Possessed

Nex band what I like

Obituary-''Slowly We Rot'' then Death-Scream Bloody Gore then Morbid Angel-Altars Of Madness and last what I like Cannibal Corpse-Eaten Back To Life

Entombet I love it, but it goes out of list and I never had liked Decide and alst 2 bands I dunno

I quote my self and forgot mention EoS 'Nothing But Death Remains' good album, werry long since I lsitend it but I shood mention it in firt post
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.09.2007 - 21:18
Mega-Slayer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2007 at 11:25

Just a little note
Altars Of Madness technically speaking ISN'T MA's debut since they had already recorded Abominations of Desolation and that one was somehow shelved and replaced by Altars as debut.

this is a toughy since the following four albums are my absolute favourites out of this list

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

and then:
Posessed-Seven Churches
this album never did much for me when it was initially released and only started growing on me years later.

but the other two:
Deicide-Self Titled
I am not going to waste my time on since I still consider them to be crap at best.

So now I'll have to choose between my top 4 of those and they did make a HUGE impact on me when they were released...

mmm, I think I'll have to go with Altars Of Madness (although in reality this is of course not Morbid Angel's debut technically speaking since they had already recorded Abominations of Desolation and that one was somehow shelved and replaced by Altars as debut)

I thought "Abominations" was technically a demo, and was bootlegged? Then it was officially released in 90'?
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
25.09.2007 - 10:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mega-Slayer on 23.09.2007 at 21:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2007 at 11:25

Just a little note

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

and then:
Posessed-Seven Churches

but the other two:
Deicide-Self Titled

I thought "Abominations" was technically a demo, and was bootlegged? Then it was officially released in 90'?

It was originally supposed to be their debut, but then somehow released as demo (I think because of line-up changes they decided not to go with Abominations as debut), then bootlegged and later on officially released
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.03.2008 - 04:10
ABUSOR
Account deleted
It goes without saying that Possessed - Seven Churches is THE Death Metal debut band of all time.. I've seen interviews with Chuck and when asked "How does it feel to be the father of Death Metal?" He tries to avoid the subject, I've seen this in several interviews. He tries to drift off into another subject. He knew Jeff Becerra and Possessed were the gods of Death Metal. HAIL POSSESSED!!
15.03.2008 - 04:40
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Opeth - Orchid

but from the list i choose Scream Bloody gore

chuck made some creepy riffs there
----
Stay Metal !!!
12.04.2008 - 16:39
Nazgal
Account deleted
Definitely "Altars Of Madness". It's one of my favorite albums of all-time, and it certainly is the best Death Metal debut album, IMO. It contains some of Morbid Angels' classic songs, such as "Maze Of Torment" and "Immortal Rites".
12.04.2008 - 16:43
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Dances from Left by Mordicus, one of my all-time fav. death metal albums in general. From that list I've gotta pick Slowly We Rot, even though I liked Cause Of Death a lot more, the atmosphere on that release is just out of this world.
26.09.2008 - 06:21
Metal_Militia
//To me, this is a pretty easy decision to make because unfortunately I haven't heard Alters Of Madness yet I've been told by many people thought that its an absolute masterpiece. I am also a huge Death fan but don't care for scream bloody gore a whole lot so i have to chose Deicides self entitled debut. I love every song on this album. Very brutal and to me, what Death Metal is suppose to sound like. Deicide hands down//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

26.09.2008 - 15:50
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I went for Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten, when i saw it on the poll list there was no competition anymore . Though Immolation and Morbid Angel's debuts are not far behind. I'm one of those people that think Suffo's sound revolutionized death metal, which is very true.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.09.2008 - 19:15
Neon Dreamer
Account deleted
Death - Scream Bloody Gore

I was between this and Seven Churches, I voted for this one because Death are one of my favorite bands.
Both albums are awesome though, and both Death and Possessed were pioneers of death metal.
01.10.2008 - 23:12
Branzig
This was way hard for me. I went ahead and went with Deicide though because their first album had so much raw energy and aggression. It was a total kick in the mouth.
----
In Grind We Crust
02.10.2008 - 02:03
totaliteraliter
I'm also going with Deicide, it's just so over the top savage, kind of takes Seven Churches to an extreme and has no bloat or breaks on the whole record. Altars Of Madness probably the 'greatest' on the list, but I find the absolutely unfiltered aggression of Deicide more appealing.

Nice poll, I think this is the first one I've seen where I actually liked all of the options. A European band like Entombed seems a bit out of place though, maybe Incantation would have fit the theme better?
02.10.2008 - 17:52
Sunioj
Written by totaliteraliter on 02.10.2008 at 02:03

Nice poll, I think this is the first one I've seen where I actually liked all of the options. A European band like Entombed seems a bit out of place though, maybe Incantation would have fit the theme better?

Incantation rules as well and I prefer them over Entombed. But why do you think their debut is out of place here?
02.10.2008 - 20:27
Branzig
Maybe he's only heard their "Death N' Roll" stuff, and not their debut album. In my opinion Entombed only released one brutally-grinding-swede death metal album, and that is Left Hand Path.

P.S. sorry for not quoting, I forgot
----
In Grind We Crust
02.10.2008 - 20:44
Sunioj
Written by Branzig on 02.10.2008 at 20:27

Maybe he's only heard their "Death N' Roll" stuff, and not their debut album. In my opinion Entombed only released one brutally-grinding-swede death metal album, and that is Left Hand Path.

P.S. sorry for not quoting, I forgot

Left Hand Path is pretty sweet, but I also like Clandestine. Wolverine Blues is the only good album in their death'n'roll era as far as I'm concerned.
02.10.2008 - 20:51
totaliteraliter
Written by Sunioj on 02.10.2008 at 17:52
Incantation rules as well and I prefer them over Entombed. But why do you think their debut is out of place here?

Well without Incantation you're leaving out the other big NYDM act; Entombed would be more comparable to bands from a similar scene like At The Gates.
02.10.2008 - 21:13
Branzig
Quote:
Well without Incantation you're leaving out the other big NYDM act; Entombed would be more comparable to bands from a similar scene like At The Gates.

Aww, I see what you're saying. The majority of these bands are from the USDM camp, particularly New York and Bay area. I don't think the original poster's intention was to go by place of origin though, just the overall best debut by a death metal group.

That does make me think though, there should be more swedes on here lol. Particularly Grave's "Into the Grave" and Vomitory's "Raped in Their Own Blood."
----
In Grind We Crust
04.10.2008 - 01:47
Gigginova
Account deleted
"Altars Of Madness" is the only album from that list that I like.
So I'll vote that
08.10.2008 - 04:22
Metal_Militia
//What makes Altars Of Madness better than Deicide's debut for you guys? I've tried listening to both back to back and think Deicide's debut blows Altars of Madness away. I'm not saying that Altars is bad, it's still very good, but i don't see any reason to call it better than Deicide's debut//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

08.10.2008 - 15:22
Sunioj
Written by Metal_Militia on 08.10.2008 at 04:22

//What makes Altars Of Madness better than Deicide's debut for you guys? I've tried listening to both back to back and think Deicide's debut blows Altars of Madness away. I'm not saying that Altars is bad, it's still very good, but i don't see any reason to call it better than Deicide's debut//

Idk, I feel a more evil atmosphere in Altars... not to mention that imo the musicianship is a lot tighter on Altars making for very focused brutality. I also find Altars a lot more memorable.