Metal Storm logo
Quotes In Songs

29.11.2006 - 18:42
ASiema113
At one point or another you've probably heard a song start with someone(who is not part of the band) voicing a part of a movie or where ever the band found the quote.

Here you can discuss a quote you find particularly interesting, would like to figure out where a quote originated from, or a quote you've recently seen used in a movie, tv, etc that's also in a song you've heard.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
30.11.2006 - 21:11
Destryphior
Well Ensiferum quotes J.L. Runeberg, the writer of the Finnsih National Anthem, in their song Old Man.
30.11.2006 - 23:42
ASiema113
I've recently heard the same quote used from 2 different bands.
The Quote is from The Exorcist II and Children of Bodom and Gorgoroth.

Also I watched The Chronicles Of Riddick and I recognized the quote "Get my armada off the ground" and not only about half an hour before the quote did I think to myself this is something KOK would be writing about. So I guess my insticts served me well.
----

01.12.2006 - 02:01
Xaphiris
Almost every song form The Berzerker starts with some dude saying some weird stuff. This one guy talks about some band, on tour, that played really loud music to cover up shots while thousands were being executed. I like the idea...

There's also a quote in "The Quiet Room - Your Hate". Its form the movie American History X, I was kind of psyched when they said it in the movie...
----
01.12.2006 - 08:07
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I like how Flea from the chili peppers put it at the end of the song "Deep Kick." He said "It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." I think that it's a very good saying and should be taken to heart, you don't want to spend your life wondering what could have been, you have to take risks, and if it backfires, oh well, at least you tried.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.12.2006 - 08:43
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
I'm not sure what film the voice is from, but Moonspell's cover of Mr. Crowley and a God Dethroned Song both contain the same quote in the same voice.

There's also a Pungent Stench song called Fear the Grand Inquisitor, which has another quote from another movie, which I do not know either and it pains me to not know these, someone, please tell me where they are from!:cry:
01.12.2006 - 10:30
KryptoN
imperceptible
Well in Rotten Sound's "Slay" there are two Finnish sayings/phrases spoken in the background with a quiet voice, I think they fit pretty well:
- "Joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa, se itse siihen lankeaa." = "He who digs a hole for another will fall into it himself."
- "Joka kiveä vyöryttää, jää itse sen alle." = "He who rolls a stone will be crushed under it."

Then there's the quote from American Psycho (spoken by Christian Bale) in the end of Children of Bodom's "Bodom Beach Terror" (and a part of it is in the beginning of "Angels Don't Kill." I'm sure this quote is used in a shitload of songs. I've heard it in at least one other song but cannot remember what it was.
- "My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."

There is a quote from some movie I think in Vital Remains' "Let the Killing Begin." I seriously don't know if it's a joke or something but I find it so damn funny. The quote goes something like this:
- "His name is Jesus." "He comes from Nazareth in Galilee. He is here now charged with the crimes of sedition, sorcery, and blasphemy." "Jesus of Nazareth, I abjure you... by the living God, by the Almighty that you tell us if you be the Christ! The son of God! Are you the Christ? Are you the son of God?" "I am." "What shall I do with this man?" "To the cross, with a prisoner!"
It's spoken in such a cheesy and stupid way (so it's probably from a bad movie) and there's Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" playing in the background . And above all that there's a second of silence in the end and then the vocalists growls "LET THE KILLING BEGIN!" It's just, hahahaha.
01.12.2006 - 11:11
FOOCK Nam
The Book Of Heavy Metal of Dream Evil has a quote of Shakespears: To be or not be, but it become invovled in the song make me confused the meaning of some part of its lyric
01.12.2006 - 14:45
Damnated
Churchburner
Peste Noire use a lot of Baudelaire quotes in their songs
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.12.2006 - 16:16
Nightmare^
I think that Anaal Nathrakh's cover of Mayhem's "Carnage" has a quote from the "Platoon" film at the end...
it says "Holy Shit! Did You See The Fuckin' Head Come Apart Man?"
----
02.12.2006 - 11:30
Syrack
Account deleted
There is the same voice at the end of Arkhon Infaustus - Narcotic Angels Terminal Apost and God Dethroned - The Iconoclast Deathride, it is probably from a movie,..Anyone familiar?
02.12.2006 - 12:07
RavenLord
On the 'Death on the Road' live CD by Iron Maiden, a short quotation from Hamlet is played through the speakers (accompanied by crickets chirruping) before Dance of Death:

'There are more things in heaven and on earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy'

Also, before Paschendale Bruce Dickinson recites some of Wilfred Owen's 'Anthem for Doomed Youth'

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells...
----
03.12.2006 - 15:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
In the first song of "awake" a dream theater album, "6:00" there is a quote of the James Joice's short story "The Dead", i know it because I read it last year. And I find it interesting because there is also a movie with the same name and the theme is death so it makes total sence.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.12.2006 - 21:35
Daru Jericho
In some Dimmu Borgir song, I can't remember which, the follow quotation appears:

"Satan was there,
Satan was real to me,
Satan called himself God."

Anyone know where it's from?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

04.12.2006 - 07:14
nana.MD
Star-Queen
DT's song "the mirror" has several quotes...i'll post them with the lyrics:

Temptation-
Why won't you leave me alone?
Lurking Every Corner, everywhere I go

Self Control-
Don't turn your back on me now
When I need you the most

Constant pressure tests my will
My will or my won't
My Self Control escapes from me still...

Hypocrite-
How could you be so cruel
and expect my faith in return?

Resistance-
Is not as hard as it seems
When you close the door

I spent so long trusting in you
I trust you forgot
Just when I thought I believed in you...

[Sample is Meryl Streep from the film "Falling In Love".]
"What're you doing?
What're you doing?"

It's time for me to deal
Becoming all too real
living in fear-
Why did you lie and pretend?
This has come to an end
I'll never trust you again
It's time you made your amends
Look in the mirror my friend

[Sample is Jeremy Irons from the film "Damage".]
"That I haven't behaved as I should"
[Sample is Mary Beth Hurt from the film "Light Sleeper".]
"Everything you need is around you. The only danger is inside you."
[Sample is Jeremy Irons from the film "Damage".]
"I thought you could control life, but it's not like that. There are things you can't control."

Let's stare the problem right in the eye
It's plagued me from coast to coast
Racing the clock to please everyone
All but the one who matters the most

Reflections of reality
are slowly coming into view
How in the hell could you possibly forgive me?
After all the hell I put you through

It's time for me to deal
Becoming all too real
living in fear-
Why'd I betray my friend?
Lying until the end
Living life so pretend
It's time to make my amends
I'll never hurt you again
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
04.12.2006 - 07:27
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...also in DT´s "space dye vest" there are some quotes...although some of them aren't from movies, they r from some tv shows, series or even news comments...again, i'll post them with the lyrics so it can make sense...it's a really depressing song...

Falling through pages of Martens on angels
Feeling my heart pull west
I saw the future dressed as a stranger
love in a space-dye vest

Love is an act of blood and I'm bleeding
a pool in the shape of a heart
Beauty projection in the reflection
Always the worst way to start

[Sample is Julian Sands from the film "A Room With A View".]
"But he's the sort who can't know
anyone intimately, least of all a
woman. He doesn't know what a woman
is. He wants you for a possession,
something to look at like a painting or an ivory box.
Something to own and to display. He doesn't want you to be real,
or to think or to live. He doesn't love you, but I love you.
I want you to have your own thoughts and ideas and
feelings, even when
I hold you in my arms. It's our last chance... It's our
last chance..."

Now that you're gone I'm trying to take it
Learning to swallow the rage
Found a new girl I think we can make it
as long as she stays on the page

This is not how I want it to end
And I'll never be open again

[Sample from "The Trouble With Evan", from the Canadian series "The Fifth Estate".]
"...I was gonna move out...ummm...get,
get a job, get my own place, ummm,
but... I go into the mall where I
want to work and they tell me, I'm,
I was too young..."

[Sample is Jim Hill from a news commentary about the OJ Simpson freeway chase.]
"Some people, gave advice before,
about facing the facts, about
facing reality. And this is, this
without a doubt, is his biggest
challenge ever. He's going to have to face it.
You're gonna have to try, he's gonna to have to try and,
uh, and, and, and get some help here. I mean no one can
say they know how he feels."

[Sample from the Conan O'Brien show.]
"That, so they say that, in ya know
like, Houston or something, you'd
say it's a hundred and eighty degrees,
but it's a dry heat.
In Houston they say that?
Oh, maybe not. I'm all mixed up.
Dry until they hit the swimming pool."

[Sample from "The Trouble With Evan", from the Canadian series "The Fifth Estate".]
"...I get up with the sun... Listen.
You have your own room to sleep in,
I don't care what you do. I don't
care when. That door gets locked,
that door gets locked at night by nine o'clock.
If you're not in this house by nine o'clock, then you'd
better find some
place to sleep. Because you're not going to be a bum in
this house.
Supper is ready..."

There's no one to take my blame
if they wanted to
There's nothing to keep me sane
and it's all the same to you
There's nowhere to set my aim
so I'm everywhere
Never come near me again
do you really think I need you

I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.
I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.

And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend
And I'll have no more dreams to defend
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
04.12.2006 - 17:27
ASiema113
Written by KryptoN on 01.12.2006 at 10:30

Well in Rotten Sound's "Slay" there are two Finnish sayings/phrases spoken in the background with a quiet voice, I think they fit pretty well:
- "Joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa, se itse siihen lankeaa." = "He who digs a hole for another will fall into it himself."
- "Joka kiveä vyöryttää, jää itse sen alle." = "He who rolls a stone will be crushed under it."

Then there's the quote from American Psycho (spoken by Christian Bale) in the end of Children of Bodom's "Bodom Beach Terror" (and a part of it is in the beginning of "Angels Don't Kill." I'm sure this quote is used in a shitload of songs. I've heard it in at least one other song but cannot remember what it was.
- "My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."

There is a quote from some movie I think in Vital Remains' "Let the Killing Begin." I seriously don't know if it's a joke or something but I find it so damn funny. The quote goes something like this:
- "His name is Jesus." "He comes from Nazareth in Galilee. He is here now charged with the crimes of sedition, sorcery, and blasphemy." "Jesus of Nazareth, I abjure you... by the living God, by the Almighty that you tell us if you be the Christ! The son of God! Are you the Christ? Are you the son of God?" "I am." "What shall I do with this man?" "To the cross, with a prisoner!"
It's spoken in such a cheesy and stupid way (so it's probably from a bad movie) and there's Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" playing in the background . And above all that there's a second of silence in the end and then the vocalists growls "LET THE KILLING BEGIN!" It's just, hahahaha.

Yes I know what you mean, that whole intro for Dechristianize was in one way hilarious. But I also find it as a build for the album, it's almost like a ritual before complete chaos reigns over you with it's brutality!

Another band that uses lenghty quotes would have to be Mortician.
They use alot of old-school slasher films such as Hellraiser, Leatherface/The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(The Original) and etc.
My favorite that I've heard would have to be from the first Hellraiser film.

Right now finding the whole scene seems almost impossible. I'll edit this message with the quote in it later.
----

06.12.2006 - 22:49
Graveheart
Some years ago I watched a Dracula movie. Not an old one, it was made in the early 90s and starring Gary Oldman in the name role. Anyway, halfway into the film Dracula said this line in his demonic voice... "I was betrayed. Look what your god has done to me." That sounded really familiar, but I couldn't remember where I had heard it before. Then some weeks after that I listened to Burnt Offerings by Iced Earth, and... bingo. The line from the movie was sampled in the introduction, and knowing Schaffer is a horror movie fan it was not hard to believe why it was there. I always thought maybe Barlow or someone said it in an evil demon voice from Hell or something, but it was actually Gary Oldman all the time.

Does anyone know where this dialogue is from? It's a sample in a Theatre of Tragedy song called "And When He Falleth"
Man: "That cross you wear around your neck... is it only a decoration, or are you a true Christian believer?"
Woman: "Yes, I believe. Truly."
Man: "Then I want you to remove it at once and never to wear it within this castle again!" (he continues on about how her eyes are blinded by her religion but I can't remember all of it)
Woman, furiously: "You want me to take off my cross because it offended --!"
Man, interrupting: "It offended no one. No, it simply appears to me to be discourteous to wear a symbol of a deity lord." (goes on about how his ancestors tried to find God by opening doors)
Woman: "You need no doors to find God! If you believe --"
Man: "Believe!? If you believe in your... god, and you look around this world and believe in the goodness of a god who rules it - famine, pestilence, war, disease and death! They rule this world."
Woman: "There is also love and life and hope."
Man: "There is little hope, I am sure. But if the god of love and life didn't exist, he's long since dead. Someone - something - rules in his place."
14.12.2006 - 14:42
TLZ
Account deleted
Some of these might rather be monolouges than quotes, but I guess they fit in ok in this thread:

At the start of Lamb of God - Omerta:
"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honour."
05.01.2007 - 20:57
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Graveheart on 06.12.2006 at 22:49

Man: "That cross you wear around your neck... is it only a decoration, or are you a true Christian believer?"
Woman: "Yes, I believe. Truly."
Man: "Then I want you to remove it at once and never to wear it within this castle again! Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses.''
Woman, furiously: "You had me take off my cross because it offended --!"
Man, interrupting: "It offended no one. No, it simply appears to me to be discourteous to... to wear a symbol of a deity long dead. My ancestors tried to find it. And to open the door that seperates us from our Creator.
Woman: "You need no doors to find God! If you believe --"
Man: "Believe!? If you believe you are... gullible. , and you look around this world and believe in the goodness of a god who rules it - famine, pestilence, war, disease and death! They rule this world."
Woman: "There is also love and life and hope."
Man: "There is little hope, I am sure. But if the god of love and life ever did exist, he's long since dead. Someone - something - rules in his place."

Yes indeed, I was about to write that one down. My favourite quote and it fills the song, which is amazing by itself already, with passion and darkness. I took the privillege to also correct some mistakes you've put down. (I know this dialogue by heart because I acted in when I was in 3rd grade of my high school when I was applying for a lead role in some drama.)

Anyway, to answer your question, this dialogue is taken from the movie based on a novel by Edgar Allan Poe, entitled The Masque of The Red Death.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
05.01.2007 - 22:45
Torelli
I'm not so good with latin, but isn't the phrase "ut te postremo donarem munere mortis" (So that I might bestow you with the final gift of death) in Tristania's song Angina? If so, they are quoteing the roman poet Gaius Valerius Catullus. The phrase is taken from the poem "Catullus 101" that deals with the death of his brother.
06.01.2007 - 12:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
1.what does the demon/sinner choir say in dante's inferno by iced earth? in the book, plutos says "pape satan, pape satan, alepe", but the line is obviously not present in the song
2.and there was this CoB song( i think) that had a intro something like "where is number 3? ah, there he is, number 2?" or something like this.
3.who said "can you put your price on peace?" from megadeth's peace sells song and is the "i say we straitjacket the sonofabitch, lock him in a room.." part from another megadeth song, breakpoint a quote?
06.01.2007 - 13:40
Basso
Account deleted
Written by KryptoN on 01.12.2006 at 10:30

Shining uses the whole monologue as outro on "The Eerie Cold".
06.01.2007 - 13:58
RavenLord
Written by Valentin B on 06.01.2007 at 12:42

1.what does the demon/sinner choir say in dante's inferno by iced earth? in the book, plutos says "pape satan, pape satan, alepe", but the line is obviously not present in the song
2.and there was this CoB song( i think) that had a intro something like "where is number 3? ah, there he is, number 2?" or something like this.
3.who said "can you put your price on peace?" from megadeth's peace sells song and is the "i say we straitjacket the sonofabitch, lock him in a room.." part from another megadeth song, breakpoint a quote?

1. I can't tell what the choir is chanting in Dante's Inferno, but it's certainly not anything that is mentioned in the Inferno, unless it's the original Italian (which I doubt)
2. You may be thinking of the intro to 'The Nail', which quotes 'Ben Hur';
"Your eyes are full of hate, 41. That's good...hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength!"
3. Mustaine says the line 'Can you put a price on peace?'. I'm not sure about the other line, though.
----
06.01.2007 - 18:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
mustaine:yeah i know he says the line, but i wondered if it was a quote or something.
CoB:man i heard that thing somewhere but i just can't reach it...
07.01.2007 - 13:46
hey, there is a quote in Behemoth's "Anti-christian Phenomenon" that says: "We feel that the human race should be eliminated because it is unworthy...it is unworthy of the gift of life".......any clue where this one is from?
----
||SPACE FOR RENT||
07.01.2007 - 16:48
Hyvaarin
Written by ASiema113 on 30.11.2006 at 23:42

Also I watched The Chronicles Of Riddick and I recognized the quote "Get my armada off the ground" and not only about half an hour before the quote did I think to myself this is something KOK would be writing about. So I guess my insticts served me well.

So THAT's what it's from .

My favourite quote in a metal song is definitely in Turisas' 'Prologue to R.R.R.'. I can't remember the exact source, but I think it was from a historical essay. The incredible writing with the stirring backing music makes it easily my favourite song/track of theirs.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
23.01.2007 - 18:54
Sunioj
Off Dismembers Like an everflowing stream, Ive wondered if their quote "from dream to dream, we've always been like an everflowing stream" was an actual quote from someone else, if not, thats one of the best saying Ive ever heard.
28.01.2007 - 23:26
necrovamp
the crap at the end of gallowmere by sinergy (daddy says the bibles a load of bunkum, but wrer all going to heaven, im not, im going to the fourth world) is from some 70's /80's film/program not sure what its called though, if anyones id be gratefull for you to share your everknowing knoledge
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
29.01.2007 - 16:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
(megadeth-five magics ending)
He who lives by the sword, he who lives by the sword
Will surely also die, will surely also die
He who lives in sin, he who lives in sin
Will surely live the lie
is it from the bible or what?