Metal Storm logo
Quotes In Songs

Original post

Posted by ASiema113, 29.11.2006 - 18:42
At one point or another you've probably heard a song start with someone(who is not part of the band) voicing a part of a movie or where ever the band found the quote.

Here you can discuss a quote you find particularly interesting, would like to figure out where a quote originated from, or a quote you've recently seen used in a movie, tv, etc that's also in a song you've heard.
05.02.2007 - 16:50
Graveheart
The "Latin" parts in Dante's Inferno aren't Latin or actually any language at all. According to Jon Schaffer himself he wanted to throw in some Latin-sounding words not because they mean something, but because they sound demonic. I must admit it's really effective, even though it bugs me a little that it's impossible to find out what it means, because the language doesn't exist.

Ironically enough, I'm currently listening to "Words Mean Nothing" by Evergrey and I noticed that the song title summarizes what I just said about the phrase in Dante's Inferno
Speaking of Evergrey, some of their songs (including this one) contain samples that speak of alien abduction and other paranormal activity. In Search of Truth is a concept album that is filled with these samples. I don't believe they are from movies though, probably they're written (and performed) for this record alone by the head of the band, Tom Englund. Their other concept album the Inner Circle concerns religious issues and there are sermons from priests all over it. There has been some speculation if they're from a movie, or from Englund's imagination, but the most interesting theory is that they are actual recordings of real sermons. Imagine hearing the "live" version of for example, "When the Walls Go Down". The story just strikes me even harder thinking there's a chance that it has actually happened to this man... that he's not just acting because the words come from his heart.

This is what he says in the song:

"Lord, if you don't help me I can't get through this
I can't
Lord, I'm too old for games, foolishness
and I'm tired of rhetoric
meaningless rhetoric that never changes things
Lord, just help me
just help me

I was feeling God's pain
and I've never had anything that's been any worth to God in my fifty years that wasn't born in agony
never, never
dead, empty
and I know that sermons won't do it
I know that Revelation won't do it, Covenant won't do it
I know now, oh my God do I know it
until I'm in agony
until I have been angry, stubborn
I'm preaching sermons... oh God

I broke down and I wept and I mourned
does it matter to you at all?
I can't handle this
I can barely make it into here

Little by little you're losing it
the love of God, the love of Christ
people I know that were my friends and I've seen them go one by one
some of my closest friends

You're changing
you know what you were
you're changing
little by little something's happening to you

Will it bring you to your knees?
that's all the Devil wants to do
take the fight out of you and kill it
so you won't labour in prayer anymore
you won't weep before God anymore

Go to Hell!
no weeping, not one prayer, it's all ruined
you're laughing
this is life and death
and the walls go down and the ruin sets in

Where's the tears?
where's the mourning?
where's the confessing?
the love of Christ?
the agony of God's heart
we have sinned!"

@ Angina:
Thanks for the information and correction... Likely I would have asked next how the dialogue was supposed to go, but luckily you already fixed it so I'm spared the trouble
28.05.2007 - 21:44
RavenLord
Not sure where this comes from, but there's a quotation in the middle of 'Unholy Prophecies' by Necrophobic that goes something like this;

'I am a Satanist. I believe in the Dark Lord. His time is coming very soon. Christ's worshippers will be slaughtered. Babies will be sacrificed on the altars of temples to the dark prince, and fire will consume [can't make out]'

There are also lots of quiet spoken sections after songs on the same album ('The Nocturnal Silence')...I've found ones on 'Awakening...', 'Unholy Prophecies' and 'Father of Creation'. Any ideas?
----
28.05.2007 - 22:34
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Aesma Daeva's first album "Here Lies One Whose Name Was Written In Water" is on large scale based upon the works of the English poet John Keats....the albums title is actually the scripture written on the gravestone of the poet...the gravestone doesn't bear the poet's name...only this line....An important song on this album "When I have fears that I may cease to be" is a quote from Keats.....
05.06.2007 - 08:22
ASiema113
I found that along with Bucketheads vast variety of random voices & sounds there is a quote from A Clockwork Orange which goes "WELL, WELL, WELL, WELL, WELL..." I find both to be quite entertaining.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
15.12.2008 - 11:16
combaticus12
Account deleted
Well, it wasn't a quote from a celebrity, but in the Static-X song "I'm With Stupid" there's a quote from some woman in South Carolina saying "So I grabbed my shovel, and I beat him in the skull and took him down. Then I grabbed my rope and I hogtied him." Wayne Static took the sound byte from a news broadcast he saw about this woman who basically annihilated some poor robber's skull when she caught him breaking into her neighbor's house. Pretty brutal.
15.12.2008 - 16:15
tulkas
el parcero
Like some have said in previous posts, dream theater uses this a lot, specially in the awake album. practically all songs have spoken parts from different sources. i found once a site with the lyrics to the album that included the quotes that were in each song and also said where they came from.

from the same band, in the song a change of seasons they put in the part from 'dead poets society' when they recite: 'gather ye roseboulds while ye may, old time is still flying, and the same flower that smiles today, tomorrow will be dying". don't remember now from which poem and author this is, but it's very proper considering the 'carpe diem' theme of the song.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
28.12.2008 - 20:36
sq_xeper
I've found two bands that have used the same quote, its a phrase from The Omen movie:
"And a comet rips the sky...then you and I must die. From the eternal sea he rises, creating armies on either shore, turning man against his brother, 'til man exists no more."

The first band (that I know) that has quoted that phrase its Deeds of Flesh in the song Reduced to Ashes from the same album title

And the second one its Lord Belial from their latest release The Black Curse, the song its Antichrist Reborn
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
29.12.2008 - 01:22
Graveheart
Written by sq_xeper on 28.12.2008 at 20:36

I've found two bands that have used the same quote, its a phrase from The Omen movie:
"And a comet rips the sky...then you and I must die. From the eternal sea he rises, creating armies on either shore, turning man against his brother, 'til man exists no more."

The first band (that I know) that has quoted that phrase its Deeds of Flesh in the song Reduced to Ashes from the same album title

And the second one its Lord Belial from their latest release The Black Curse, the song its Antichrist Reborn

Ever heard Damien by Iced Earth? That makes it three.
29.12.2008 - 01:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Graveheart on 29.12.2008 at 01:22

Add Lurker Of Chalice to that. Isn't that quote a bible passage? I thought it was but haven't been able to find it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.12.2008 - 06:58
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Lucas on 29.12.2008 at 01:31

Written by Graveheart on 29.12.2008 at 01:22

Add Lurker Of Chalice to that. Isn't that quote a bible passage? I thought it was but haven't been able to find it.

and i thought that was written by iced earth themselves... i'll look up and see if it's a passage from the bible or where it may come from. it's still a really cool passage, lyrics, or whatever it may be
----
29.12.2008 - 16:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by tulkas on 29.12.2008 at 06:58

and i thought that was written by iced earth themselves... i'll look up and see if it's a passage from the bible or where it may come from. it's still a really cool passage, lyrics, or whatever it may be

If you find it, let me know ok? Thanks.

By the way, the entire fragment goes like this:

When the Jews return to zion,
And a comet rips the sky,
the holy roman empire rises,
and you and I must die.

From the eternal sea he rises,
creating armies on either shore,
turning man against his brother,
till man exists no more.

At least, that's the sample LoC uses.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.12.2008 - 22:27
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Lucas on 29.12.2008 at 16:10

Written by tulkas on 29.12.2008 at 06:58

If you find it, let me know ok? Thanks.

By the way, the entire fragment goes like this:

When the Jews return to zion,
And a comet rips the sky,
the holy roman empire rises,
and you and I must die.

From the eternal sea he rises,
creating armies on either shore,
turning man against his brother,
till man exists no more.

At least, that's the sample LoC uses.

apparently it's a passage from the book of revelations, or so it said on some dude's blog. but still i couldn't find it either, i don't really know how to handle a bible, hehe
----
29.12.2008 - 23:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by tulkas on 29.12.2008 at 22:27

apparently it's a passage from the book of revelations, or so it said on some dude's blog. but still i couldn't find it either, i don't really know how to handle a bible, hehe

oh yeah, that's right. i forgot that it was in the Book of Revelations. couldn't ever find it there.
----

30.12.2008 - 13:08
Elio
Red Nightmare
Reading Lovecraft's The Nameless City I found two verse which I remember I have found in a song...but I don't remember which. Any help?

"That is not dead which can eternally lie
And with strange eons even death may die"

Damn, it's so familiar.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.01.2009 - 07:37
Fhuesc
The chorus from Drawn to Black it's a poem from Francis William Bourdillon

The night has a thousand eyes,
And the day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun.

The mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one:
Yet the light of a whole life dies
When love is done.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
15.01.2009 - 15:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Elio on 30.12.2008 at 13:08

Reading Lovecraft's The Nameless City I found two verse which I remember I have found in a song...but I don't remember which. Any help?

Damn, it's so familiar.

That is familiar indeed. Now, I'm wondering what song it is too!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.01.2009 - 16:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I remembered another band who uses quotes, Portuguese band Shadowsphere. On their first album "Darklands" they quote the 1992 movie "Dracula". It works pretty well because the whole album revolves around that movie. It's a conceptual album.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.01.2009 - 16:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Damn, it's so familiar.

Vader's "Breath Of Centuries", from the "The Ultimate Incantations" album?
----

15.01.2009 - 16:17
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BloodTears on 15.01.2009 at 15:59

Damn, it's so familiar.

That is familiar indeed. Now, I'm wondering what song it is too!

when I saw you quoted me in this thread I really hoped you had an asnwer
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.01.2009 - 16:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Lucas on 15.01.2009 at 16:13

Damn, it's so familiar.

I don't know this song
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.01.2009 - 16:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Elio on 15.01.2009 at 16:18

I don't know this song

Haha me neither. I searched for those lyrics on darklyrics.com, and ran into that song.
----

15.01.2009 - 21:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Damn, it's so familiar.

I don't know this song

Its also whats written on Eddies tombstone on Iron Maidens "Live After Death" album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.01.2009 - 21:53
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 15.01.2009 at 21:47

Damn, it's so familiar.

I don't know this song

Its also whats written on Eddies tombstone on Iron Maidens "Live After Death" album.

Mmmh...yup, it could be
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.01.2009 - 23:20
rageing atheist
Account deleted

Damn, it's so familiar.

Metallica in The Thing Thing That Should Not Be used a variation of these lines:

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger eons Death may die

Maybe you were thinking of that?

Also, Lovecraft was a fucking mastermind. At least as a writer, that is.
15.01.2009 - 23:37
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 15.01.2009 at 23:20

Damn, it's so familiar.

Metallica in The Thing Thing That Should Not Be used a variation of these lines:

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger eons Death may die

Maybe you were thinking of that?

Also, Lovecraft was a fucking mastermind. At least as a writer, that is.

Ahah yeah, caus I remembered the quote was a bit different!Guess I don't listen Metallica from a bit! thanks dude
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.03.2009 - 12:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Iron Maiden - Alexander The Great

Helonism he spread far and wide
The Macedonian learned mind
Their culture was a western way of life
He paved the way for Christianity

What did Bruce ment by this part? specely last line
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.04.2009 - 20:50
RockeRoy
Mastodon uses alot of quotes from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" on their live shows, i like that a lot
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
03.04.2009 - 23:14
totaliteraliter
Thy Catafalque uses quite a few on Microcosmos, including Shakespeare and Yeats. But I like this one from "Panta Rhei" the best:

It is as if lines have to be drawn in a continually flowing stream, figures drawn which hold fast. Between this reality of life and the scientific intellect there appears to be no possibility of comprehension, for the concept sunders what is to be unified in the flow of life. The concept represents something which is universally and eternally valid, independent of the mind which propounds it. But the flow of life is at all points unique, every wave in it arises and passes.
- Wilhelm Dilthey
04.04.2009 - 01:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Ahab uses a lot of quotes and even lyrics that are entirely taken from the book "Moby Dick"

My favorite is from the song "The Sermon" all the lyrics are from the chapter 9 of the book Moby Dick:

The ribs and terrors in the whale
Arched over me a dismal doom
While all God's sun-lit waves rolled by
And lift me deepening down to doom

I saw the opening maw of hell
With endless pains and sorrows there
Elich none but they that feel can tell
Oh I was plunging to despair

In black distress
I called my God
When I could scarce believe him mine
He bowed his ears to my complaint
No more the whale did me confine

With speed he flew to my relief
As on a radiant dolphin borne
Awful, yet bright, as lightning shone
The face of my deliverer God

My song forever shall record
That terrible, that joyful hour
I give the glory to my God
His all the mercy and the power

Really powerful lyrics imo. They suit perfectly in the song.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2009 - 09:12
hermosotrozo
Account deleted
This is really a normal scenario now a days, the lyrics genreally are written in a way and heavy words or phrases are used not because they mean something, but because they sound demonic.
so i like to enjoy a song, but not really get into the meaning!