Metal Storm logo
Most influential crossover thrash band

Poll

What has been the most influential crossover thrash band?

Suicidal Tendencies
D.R.I.
Nuclear Assault
other
S.O.D.
Corrosion Of Conformity
Carnivore
M.O.D.
Prong

Total votes: 45
26.02.2013 - 20:11
Aristarchos
When I was doing my list, which eventually turned out to be an attempt to an top 150 most influential metal bands of all time, someone pointed out that I had left out the crossover thrash bands. I did that because I hadn't so much knowledge of crossover thrash. I'm very initiated in the history of most of the more traditional metal genres, but thrash has always been my least favourite of them (heavy, power, prog, doom, thrash, death and black). Personally I prefer music that is darker, or sometimes more melodic when the melodies are too good to resist, but pure thrash is for me too much only about aggression, I mostly like thrash on the border to death metal like early Pestilence, Deceased and German Poison, and also Metallica who has melodies that are too good to resist. When it comes to hardcore, that is even more about pure aggression, so I never thought the mix between hardcore and thrash would be anything for me, so I had never really checked out those bands. When I checked out them I found a pair albums I liked like Carnivore's Retaliation and Suicidal Tendencies's Lights... Camera... Revolution! (there are always some albums you like even in the genres that are not yours).

But now this thread is about the most influential crossover thrash band. Since I didn't have enough knowledge of the genre, and didn't find any good history page about the genre (the wikipedia page wasn't much of help) I didn't know how high I would place the different crossover thrash bands in my list, so I asked in my most influential metal bands of all time list for a useful link or somebody's thoughts, but didn't receive any answer, so I instead start this thread.

As I already have pointed out I have not enough knowledges to give a personal opinion about the question, so now I ask for yours.
26.02.2013 - 22:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I would say non of bands make big influence to others who is not following genre, all those bands are more for ''isniders''
I would say it is between Suicide Tendencies vs Prong what get more media attention and gor more promotion.
I know those 2 since old MTV days before I know what was crossover thrash ... Agnostic Front also can be , b t I would say to me it is ST more than a Prong but for others .,... IMO Prong played bigger role in media , so .... I vote for ST since it is to me what influenced me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.02.2013 - 23:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well seriously... Its between ''Suicidal Tendencies'' and ''Discharge'' which is not in your choices (curious enough) lol
those would be the INFLUENTIAL bands... for sure

Anyways, my opinion.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.02.2013 - 23:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guib on 26.02.2013 at 23:10

Well seriously... Its between ''Suicidal Tendencies'' and ''Discharge'' which is not in your choices (curious enough) lol

Anyways, my opinion.

I forgot Discharge, but more band is famose because Metallica made cover song Free Speech To The Dumb...this isb how I get know this band
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2013 - 23:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Bad English on 26.02.2013 at 23:31

Anyways, my opinion.

I forgot Discharge, but more band is famose because Metallica made cover song Free Speech To The Dumb...this isb how I get know this band

Yeah but we're talking about influences over the Crossover movement... nothing to do with Thrash like Metallica.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.02.2013 - 23:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guib on 26.02.2013 at 23:37

Written by Bad English on 26.02.2013 at 23:31

Anyways, my opinion.

Yeah but we're talking about influences over the Crossover movement... nothing to do with Thrash like Metallica.

well in thgat case might be, but if I understand wright that band was playing in 80's early 80's ?
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2013 - 23:43
Guib
Thrash Talker
Quote:
Quote:

well in thgat case might be, but if I understand wright that band was playing in 80's early 80's ?

Yeah they were, classic album ''Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing'' in 1982
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.02.2013 - 20:06
Aristarchos

Anyways, my opinion.

I have thought of Discharge more of pure hardcore than crossover. I know they have probably been more influential for metal than any of the bands in the list, but they started before the thrash movement, and influenced thrash metal. Perhaps they incorporated more thrash elements later, but I don't know how influential their later albums have been.
27.02.2013 - 20:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Discharge is more pure hardcore/punk indeed and almost no crossover. And only their earlier albums were of any influence. And actually more on Swedish Death Metal than on thrash. the word D-beat, the D there refers to Discharge.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2013 - 23:13
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 20:24

Discharge is more pure hardcore/punk indeed and almost no crossover. And only their earlier albums were of any influence. And actually more on Swedish Death Metal than on thrash. the word D-beat, the D there refers to Discharge.

Really ? D-beat for Discharge-beat O.o omg I just learned something.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.02.2013 - 04:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Prong? Crossover?
28.02.2013 - 04:53
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
While not the most popular, I know a lot of bands credit DRI as their influence. Plus e'rrybody loves Thrashzone.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.02.2013 - 11:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guib on 27.02.2013 at 23:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 20:24

Really ? D-beat for Discharge-beat O.o omg I just learned something.

Yes, indeed. Only learned that myself a couple of years ago
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2013 - 11:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 28.02.2013 at 04:27

Prong? Crossover?

My thoughts exactly
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2013 - 15:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2013 at 11:43
Yes, indeed. Only learned that myself a couple of years ago

Same here, it seems to be one of those facts that were well known for a very short time during those times but fell into obscurity just as fast so very few picked it up.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2013 - 21:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2013 at 11:43

Prong? Crossover?

My thoughts exactly

Yeah I never thought Prong was Crossover.. maybe Hirax but Prong ?
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.03.2013 - 03:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'll go with the band that was significant enough to get their own segment in Get Thrashed ... Suicidal Tendencies.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2013 - 03:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2013 at 03:38

I'll go with the band that was significant enough to get their own segment in Get Thrashed ... Suicidal Tendencies.

Loll good thinking
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.03.2013 - 04:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
It wasn't because they were in the movie, the documenatry just showed that at least to a couple real thrash aficionados ST's influence was beyond just my personal tastes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2013 - 04:59
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Suicidal Tendencies, one reason being they are one of my favorite bands, but They were one of the first bands to start out as a total hardcore punk band then cross over into total thrash metal, playing on tours with Megadeth and other thrash bands as well. My second choice would be D.R.I., their "Crossover" album should tell you everything. But they still had a lot of punk elements in their music, whereas Suicidal changed totaly. And as BitterCold stated they also had their own segment in Get Thrashed.
01.03.2013 - 23:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely Suicidal Tendencies.
03.03.2013 - 19:42
squidrick420
I said Dirty Rotten Imbeciles. I could just as easily say Suicidal Tendencies, however for this I ended up choosing which one had more personal influence on how i play; and although i love Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I. made the stronger impact on me.
03.03.2013 - 20:45
blacktooth85
Prong and COC are two of the choices but you didn't put Cro-Mags as a choice? I know early COC was crossover, but they're hardly recognized as crossover anymore. Well maybe now that the "Animosity" line-up is back...

But yeah i was thinking Cro-Mags but i gotta go Suicidal Tendencies for the win.
04.03.2013 - 18:30
Aristarchos

Prong? Crossover?

Both RYM and MA label them as crossover in the beginning.
04.03.2013 - 19:40
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Aristarchos on 04.03.2013 at 18:30

Prong? Crossover?

...And you believe them? They're not very reliable with genres.
04.03.2013 - 20:41
Aristarchos
Written by Guest on 04.03.2013 at 19:40

Written by Aristarchos on 04.03.2013 at 18:30

Prong? Crossover?

...And you believe them? They're not very reliable with genres.

What else should I do? I haven't listened to Prong so I don't know how they sound, I could only go after what I read, but now that you say different I believe you.
05.03.2013 - 13:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 04.03.2013 at 20:41

What else should I do? I haven't listened to Prong so I don't know how they sound, I could only go after what I read, but now that you say different I believe you.

How is it possible to compile a list only by reading on it and not hearing it yourself and forming a judgement that way in addition to written history, which on the Net is the least reliable thing around since every dog and his mum can spout an unfounded opinion?
Revisionism is totally rife on the Net and especially when it comes to metal and its history and so-called influential bands.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2013 - 18:11
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2013 at 13:51

Written by Aristarchos on 04.03.2013 at 20:41

How is it possible to compile a list only by reading on it and not hearing it yourself and forming a judgement that way in addition to written history, which on the Net is the least reliable thing around since every dog and his mum can spout an unfounded opinion?
Revisionism is totally rife on the Net and especially when it comes to metal and its history and so-called influential bands.

I haven't always time to check out every single band there is, so sometimes you have to trust what you read, especially on genres that isn't yours, and on genres that isn't mine I'm not always sure of genre definitions anyway. I have checked out the other bands in the list, but for some reason I skipped Prong, probably since I saw them called as groove metal too, and groove metal is even less my genre, plus that most of the music I heard from the other crossover bands wasn't anything for me. But I have stated here that I'm not an expert in this genre, and that was the reason for me starting this thread. I have checked out all of the other non-alternative metal genres very thorougly though, since they are genres I appreciate.
06.03.2013 - 18:44
Aristarchos
Written by blacktooth85 on 03.03.2013 at 20:45

Prong and COC are two of the choices but you didn't put Cro-Mags as a choice? I know early COC was crossover, but they're hardly recognized as crossover anymore. Well maybe now that the "Animosity" line-up is back...

But yeah i was thinking Cro-Mags but i gotta go Suicidal Tendencies for the win.

Yeah, you're right. I should have put Cro-Mags as one of the choices, as well as Agnostic Front, as earlier being mentioned. I thought of these two bands as too much on the hardcore side of the spectra, and chose bands that I thought of as more metallic, but I guess both Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front are enough metal to be included on the poll.
07.03.2013 - 01:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, you're right. I should have put Cro-Mags as one of the choices, as well as Agnostic Front, as earlier being mentioned. I thought of these two bands as too much on the hardcore side of the spectra, and chose bands that I thought of as more metallic, but I guess both Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front are enough metal to be included on the poll.

Damn right they are lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here