Album: Species At War
Release date: January 2013

01. Cause
02. The Game
03. War
04. The Solution
05. Salvation
06. Peace

Rotten Sound. Oh Rotten Sound. What have you done this time? Oh roughly 8 minutes of grind.
That's Cool.
Real cool.

Everyone loves grind. It's power packed into small violent packages, full of hatred and angst, and even sometimes fun and jolly. It's essentially punk on crystal meth. This short EP released in January contains 6 tracks at roughly a minute and a half each in length. In reality that's not a lot, but in the grind world, it's? still not a lot.

SO, on that note, YES this is an EP. YES this is short. Does that mean it's bad? Heck no. Six tracks of down tuned, blistering music that's aggressive enough to turn you brain to stew. The guitars err, wait those can't be guitars? Can they? Nope, they seem to be chainsaws.

Whatever, that works too.

Sawing and slashing, the riffs drive this maniacal machine. The sheer heaviness will snap the necks of those within a 5 mile radius; these riffs, when accompanied by the world annihilating percussion, manage to create such a noisy, and hectic album. Throw in the grrr grrr, rawr rawr vocals of Keijo Niinimaa into the mix, and you've got yourself a nice winning combination. The tempo, while usually faster than an f-14 tomcat, will occasionally take a minute breather. These almost "breakdown" riffs pace the album out a little, making it seem a little longer than it actually is, which is definitely a good thing in this case. Although, even with all the goodness this album contains, I'm sad to say this isn't the first time I've heard something like this. This grind is heavy, fast and yadda yadda. We've all heard this before. That being said, even if it's not that original or creative, are you seriously going to overlook it? I mean it's 8 friggin' minutes.

This is Rotten Sound, and you can spare 8 minutes from your oh-so-busy lives for this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 09.03.2013

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 110 users
09.03.2013 - 04:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Odd, I figured 8 minutes of grind would get at least a 9 from you.
09.03.2013 - 04:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 09.03.2013 at 04:17

How so?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.03.2013 - 05:15
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.03.2013 at 04:27

Written by Guest on 09.03.2013 at 04:17

How so?

I was kidding, man.

Hits total: 4155 | This month: 6