04. Nightwalkers
05. Formidable
06. The Sonic Sign
07. Who Could Say
08. The Unknowing
09. Living In Me
10. White Palace
11. Subdivisions [Rush cover] [feat. Dan Swanö] [digital bonus]

I've been listening to Omnium Gatherum for a while and I like their stuff. Surely there's enough energy in their music to keep you going and the band seem to know what they're doing with their music, but let's face it; they're missing something, besides originality of course.

Beyond follows the same formula as New World Shadows and it certainly seems compelling for the ears, but terrible for the brain. The inconsistency is far too great for the musicianship or the performance to maintain a proper balance. The album has some decent moments and the catchy melodies are brilliant and dynamic but in the end, they all sound bland and uninspiring. What you're left with is a bunch of good songs with little to offer and a couple of fillers by the time you reach the hour mark. Even the bonus track "Subdivisions" comes out as a song that's a little hard to digest, although it could've made Rush proud.

Why would a band ignore risking while they have that ability to blossom into something far more cohesive? I'm not saying they must never take chances with their music and stick to the same plan over and over for another 10 albums, but it's no longer a matter of personal taste to hear that inconsistency in their music which could be considered a major flaw.

I didn't feel sorry after listening to it, just moved on and wondered about how long it will take for them to be left out of my playlist, only to realize they didn't even make it to my playlist at all. Beyond isn't actually a perfect piece of art that is marred by scars and imperfections; it's more of a forgettable yet decent effort from capable people.

In the end, I suppose I'm left with a bit of anticipation for their next album. As for some highlights: "New Dynamic" and "In The Rim".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by Monolithic | 13.10.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
IronArkadius666
Rating:
Now before you all think, "Oh god, not another melodeath fan who thinks that every new melodeath record is the greatest one there ever was and will be... much like the city of Qarth" I ask that you all hear me out as I truly believe that this album is exceptional and enough time has passed that, if I once was, I am no longer caught up in the hype that typically follows the release of every melodeath album.

Read more ››
published 03.07.2013 | Comments (16)

Comments

Comments: 17   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 151 users
13.10.2013 - 09:17
Rating: 10
DonMoenning
Step 1 - Strap on skis or a snowboard at the top of the mountain and put Beyond on. Step 2 - Score this 2 points higher
13.10.2013 - 09:41
Rating: 6
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by DonMoenning on 13.10.2013 at 09:17

Step 1 - Strap on skis or a snowboard at the top of the mountain and put Beyond on. Step 2 - Score this 2 points higher

As much as I would love to, Step 2 is really impossible for me. I gave it a 6.9 not because I love to bash them, but because it doesn't really sound like a masterpiece according to my standards. Otherwise it's good enough if you're in for a ride on a snowboard or something. But thanks for reading.
13.10.2013 - 09:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I enjoyed this bastard more than their last one.
13.10.2013 - 10:39
Rating: 7
Dylan
I wholeheartedly agree with this entire review.
13.10.2013 - 12:55
Meh
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
13.10.2013 - 13:35
Zap
"it's more of a forgettable yet decent effort from capable people."
That's how I feel about OG in general. Really forgettable. I do agree about "In The Rim" being a highlight, that's the only song that stuck with me.
So I more or less agree with your review. Though I'd score it. Even. Lower. (sue me)
13.10.2013 - 19:49
Erik M.
Written by Monolithic on 13.10.2013 at 09:41

I gave it a 6.9 not because I love to bash them, but because it doesn't really sound like a masterpiece according to my standards.

Even a 9.0 score isn't a masterpiece. Anything that is a 9.5 or higher could be called a masterpiece. At least by my standards. I happen to agree with everything about the MS rating system except that a 10 equals "perfect" while it should equal "masterpiece", because no album ever is perfect.
13.10.2013 - 19:51
Erik M.
So it seems lots of people don't like this record or think it's decent at best, but then why is it at #6 in the top 20 albums of 2013 with an 8.6?
13.10.2013 - 20:24
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Erik M. on 13.10.2013 at 19:51

So it seems lots of people don't like this record or think it's decent at best, but then why is it at #6 in the top 20 albums of 2013 with an 8.6?

Well let's investigate the crime scene, shall we? haha

I would respect the people's opinion on whether they like the album or not, and it sounds plausible if someone gives it a 10 since they don't really care that much about musical values and morals like you or I do. As for being #6 on top 20 albums of 2013, you can see that we've had 444 votes, with 363 voters giving the album a rating higher than 8. So a lot of people think of it as being worthy of a +8 rating. But the question is: why? I've presented my interpretation of the album's impression so I'd wait for the proposers to present their side of the story.

To make things clear: I'm not trying to point the finger at anyone and make a scapegoat out of fans who gave it a 10. But then again, MS represents a rather inconclusive portion of votes and opinions imo. I would like to have a debate with someone who gives it a 10 and discuss those little variables that make an album worthy of being called a masterpiece and does it really matter to leave the impression that a single review could be the definitive summary of what the album's all about? Again it's all open to discussion and interpretation.
13.10.2013 - 20:51
Rating: 9
BehzadSh
I agree with review, but 6.9 is a little low maybe something between 7-8 would be fair
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
13.10.2013 - 21:33
Melkor
Well imo this is their best work...yes above new world...sorry to say but i disagree with you on a lot of points!!!
13.10.2013 - 22:10
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by BehzadSh on 13.10.2013 at 20:51

I agree with review, but 6.9 is a little low maybe something between 7-8 would be fair

Actually I agree on that part. 7 or 7.2 maybe. I had written this review a long time ago and the proofreading took a while.

Written by Melkor on 13.10.2013 at 21:33

Well imo this is their best work...yes above new world...sorry to say but i disagree with you on a lot of points!!!

Well we're civilized people so go on. I'm listening. *clicks gun haha
14.10.2013 - 15:47
MHOE
6.9? Umstbjkng,bro... Something between 9.8 and 10.0 would be more accurate.
14.10.2013 - 16:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by MHOE on 14.10.2013 at 15:47

let me guess, you such a huge fan of the band that we mere mortals would call you a fanboy?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2013 - 21:21
MHOE
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2013 at 16:45

Written by MHOE on 14.10.2013 at 15:47

let me guess, you such a huge fan of the band that we mere mortals would call you a fanboy?

Haha, it was just for fun :-P I do like the album a lot but can certainly understand someone dont as much :-)
14.10.2013 - 21:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by MHOE on 14.10.2013 at 21:21

Haha, it was just for fun :-P I do like the album a lot but can certainly understand someone dont as much :-)

sorry for misunderstanding, I thought you were totally serious
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2013 - 22:18
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by MHOE on 14.10.2013 at 21:21

Haha Well, to say that you like it or not depends on how much pleasure you feel when you listen to the album, sometimes regardless of whether the music is a total masterpiece or not. As I said, I love Omnium Gatherum but the overall impression is...somewhat mediocre to good.

Hits total: 3518 | This month: 11