Metal Storm logo
Latin

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 30.01.2007 - 23:10
I was thinking about the roman invasion in England (I'm studing that) and thought about asking if any of you knows Latin or is interested in the language. Its interesting to me because its part of the Italic branch of languages (along with French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian) and so it has very similar words to the portuguese.
Please, let me know your opinion about it. What do you think about the language itself? The pronunciation, etc.
13.07.2007 - 11:46
Sunioj
I used to sing in choir..in a Catholic church when I was younger for volunteer points..so all the songs I had to memorize were in Latin. Even though I could care less about religion, Latin sounds beautiful in a choir as opposed ( IMO ) to french, arabic, italian, etc.
13.07.2007 - 12:41
Lupas
Maximus
Written by 4look4rd on 13.07.2007 at 05:45

Written by Ernis on 13.07.2007 at 04:26

Written by Lupas on 09.03.2007 at 17:15

My nick is latin and my title is latin .

What does it mean then? Your name....is it Lupas or Iupas?

Its Lupas and means Wolf =P
I took latin last year because I wanted to learn other romance langueges quicker (although I already speak portuguese) and also I quite like the Roman Empire's culture

You are right , Lupas is wolf and Maximus was a roman empire general who rules in ENg and french lands .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
13.07.2007 - 12:54
_Wotan_
I took latin for only one year, but it was kinda easy for me, 'cos it is like the spanish spoken in some rural areas and very similiar to galaecian (gallego, the languaje of Galicia).

@Lupas, isn't wolf lupus or you just put one of the cases
----
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
[center][/center]
13.07.2007 - 15:38
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Lupas on 13.07.2007 at 12:41

You are right , Lupas is wolf and Maximus was a roman empire general who rules in ENg and french lands .

What case is it then?
I know the word for "wolf" in Latin...and it's LUPUS....I hear the form lupas for the first time....
In Spanish it's lobo....
13.07.2007 - 15:59
Lupas
Maximus
Well, strictly speaking lupus is the meaning of a wolf in Latin .:) ALso i have found that lupas may be given to a wolf. I have use this nickname since my internet discovery which was a long time ago, so when you encounter with this nickname , remember of me
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
13.07.2007 - 16:13
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Lupas on 13.07.2007 at 15:59

Well, strictly speaking lupus is the meaning of a wolf in Latin .:) ALso i have found that lupas may be given to a wolf. I have use this nickname since my internet discovery which was a long time ago, so when you encounter with this nickname , remember of me

Forgive me if Im wrong, but doesnt the "A" on Lupas makes it feminine? so She Wolf? Too back I dont have my latin book with me at the moment to double check, but I think Im right.
----
13.07.2007 - 16:21
Lupas
Maximus
Written by 4look4rd on 13.07.2007 at 16:13

Written by Lupas on 13.07.2007 at 15:59

Forgive me if Im wrong, but doesnt the "A" on Lupas makes it feminine? so She Wolf? Too back I dont have my latin book with me at the moment to double check, but I think Im right.

I have check and a she wolf is lupa and about lupas doesn't mean anything so
----
13.07.2007 - 16:27
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Lupas on 13.07.2007 at 16:21

I have check and a she wolf is lupa and about lupas doesn't mean anything so

Then its probably the accusative of lupa, or the plural because of the "S"

also found this link http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookit.pl?latin=Lupas
----
13.07.2007 - 17:26
Ernis
狼獾
Lupus is a word of second declension...thus it must be treated as following:
Singular Plural
Nominative lupus lupi
Genitive lupí lupórum
Dative lupó lupís
Accusative lupum lupós
Ablative lupo lupís
Vocative lupe lupí

Same thing with lupa then...La Loba....female wolf...this would be the first declension...

Nominative lupa lupae
Genitive lupae lupárum
Dative lupae lupís
Accusative lupam lupás
Ablative lupá lupís
Vocative lupa lupae

So it goes...
20.07.2008 - 07:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
CAn soemone translate a song for me please? I know the translation I found is wrong, so I wondered if someone could please translate this for me. It'll be greatly appreciated.

OMNIA SOL TEMPERAT

Omnia sol temperat
Purus et subtilis
Novo mundo reserat
Faciem Aprilis
Ad amorem properat
Animus herilis
Et iocundis imperat
Deus puerilis

Ama me fideliter
Fidem meam nota
De corde totaliter
Et Ex mente tota

Rerum tanta novitas
In sollemni vere
Et veris auctoritas
Iubet nos gaudere
Vices prebet solitas
Et in tuo vere
Fides est et probitas
Tuum retinere

Ama me fideliter
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.07.2008 - 00:06
Ernis
狼獾
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.07.2008 at 07:13

CAn soemone translate a song for me please? I know the translation I found is wrong, so I wondered if someone could please translate this for me. It'll be greatly appreciated.

OMNIA SOL TEMPERAT

Omnia sol temperat
Purus et subtilis
Novo mundo reserat
Faciem Aprilis
Ad amorem properat
Animus herilis
Et iocundis imperat
Deus puerilis

Ama me fideliter
Fidem meam nota
De corde totaliter
Et Ex mente tota

Rerum tanta novitas
In sollemni vere
Et veris auctoritas
Iubet nos gaudere
Vices prebet solitas
Et in tuo vere
Fides est et probitas
Tuum retinere

Ama me fideliter

Sun controls everything
Pure and fine
reveals to new world
the form of April
hastens to love
spirituality of master
and rules for the pleasing/as the pleasing (hell knows)
Childish god

Love me faithfully
notice my confidence
Totally from the heart
and from whole mind

So great newness of things
In festival of spring
and authority of spring
orders us to be glad
Successively solitude shows itself
And in your spring there's confidence and honesty
Your keeping/retaining/remembrance...whatever....

I translated the text with dictionary word by word hence you can see this translation has its stitches unraveling....I'm also too lazy to make this text make sense....I think it's medieval Latin anyway which must be different from the older version of the language....
21.07.2008 - 04:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ernis on 21.07.2008 at 00:06

OMNIA SOL TEMPERAT

Omnia sol temperat
Purus et subtilis
Novo mundo reserat
Faciem Aprilis
Ad amorem properat
Animus herilis
Et iocundis imperat
Deus puerilis

Ama me fideliter
Fidem meam nota
De corde totaliter
Et Ex mente tota

Rerum tanta novitas
In sollemni vere
Et veris auctoritas
Iubet nos gaudere
Vices prebet solitas
Et in tuo vere
Fides est et probitas
Tuum retinere

Ama me fideliter

Sun controls everything
Pure and fine
reveals to new world
the form of April
hastens to love
spirituality of master
and rules for the pleasing/as the pleasing (hell knows)
Childish god

Love me faithfully
notice my confidence
Totally from the heart
and from whole mind

So great newness of things
In festival of spring
and authority of spring
orders us to be glad
Successively solitude shows itself
And in your spring there's confidence and honesty
Your keeping/retaining/remembrance...whatever....

I translated the text with dictionary word by word hence you can see this translation has its stitches unraveling....I'm also too lazy to make this text make sense....I think it's medieval Latin anyway which must be different from the older version of the language....

Thanks Yes, it's medieval. It's from carmina Burana as far as I know, In Extremo made a new version in tehir album Sünder Ohne Zügel.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

21.07.2008 - 13:30
Torelli

OMNIA SOL TEMPERAT

Omnia sol temperat
Purus et subtilis
Novo mundo reserat
Faciem Aprilis
Ad amorem properat
Animus herilis
Et iocundis imperat
Deus puerilis

Ama me fideliter
Fidem meam nota
De corde totaliter
Et Ex mente tota

Rerum tanta novitas
In sollemni vere
Et veris auctoritas
Iubet nos gaudere
Vices prebet solitas
Et in tuo vere
Fides est et probitas
Tuum retinere

Ama me fideliter

Not using my thread I see, hm...
21.07.2008 - 17:23
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 21.07.2008 at 13:30

Ama me fideliter

Not using my thread I see, hm...

Dang....we didn't mean to get busted cheating on you......
21.07.2008 - 18:43
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
LOL sorry Torelli
I used your thread, but I got a wrong translation, so I thought this thread would give me a more accurate translation sorry.
----

21.07.2008 - 22:57
Ernis
狼獾
Yeh, see Torelli.....your thread didn't satisfy Jonas enough.....
22.07.2008 - 11:40
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 21.07.2008 at 22:57

Yeh, see Torelli.....your thread didn't satisfy Jonas enough.....

Well, of course he abonend the old and used translation thread in favor of the younger and more attractive latin thread...that cheating bastard.

@Jonas: If it comes from Carmina Burana, I think you should take a look at this...
22.07.2008 - 21:29
Ernis
狼獾
Thanks for the link, Torelli....now I see all my translation goofs....I should go and feel ashamed now....
23.07.2008 - 04:29
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Torelli, I can't open that link you gave me. And don't worry, i'll find something to post in the "old and used translation thread". And I have gotten translations in your thread, btu I got this one wrong. it's not my fault
----

23.07.2008 - 19:55
Ernis
狼獾
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 23.07.2008 at 04:29

Torelli, I can't open that link you gave me. And don't worry, i'll find something to post in the "old and used translation thread". And I have gotten translations in your thread, btu I got this one wrong. it's not my fault

This is what the link contains....

"The sun, pure and gentle, calms all things; the face of April opens to the new world; the mind of a young man hastens to love, and over men of charm rules the boy god.

So great a renewal of the world in festive Spring and the authority of Spring order us to rejoice; it shows its familiar ways; and in the Spring of your life sincerity and honesty require that you keep him who is yours.

Love me faithfully! Mark my loyalty; completely, in my heart and in my whole mind"
23.07.2008 - 21:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Thanks Viggo and Torelli
----