Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2015

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 01.12.2014 - 19:17
I've already seen a bunch of 2015 releases being announced, and even streaming in full in some locations, so I figured I'd go ahead and create a place for those releases to be posted. To start we'll have the new Swamp Witch album The Slithering Bog. It's a sludge filled doom album that simply slays, and is streaming in its' entirety on the Swamp Witch bandcamp page. The official release date (for the physical versions) is February 20th, 2015.

22.11.2015 - 02:42
mz
Blackend weirdness, with -tried to be Attila- type vocals. Not sure what the fuck is this really.

They apparantly had this record in 2015, too:

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.11.2015 - 15:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Some sort of dissonant progressive metal. Quite interesting stuff

Dimesland - Psychogenic Atrophia
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
22.11.2015 - 15:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think that's one of mz's favourite things.
22.11.2015 - 16:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh...

I finally get what you mean. Well, blame the bandcamp. it did say november 2015 there
----
- Reimu Hakurei
22.11.2015 - 21:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So this is pretty damned excellent. Slightly caustic black metal with a bevy of other sounds and styles: psychedelia, mechanical industrialisations, post-y atmos sludge and other tings, but it all goes together quite naturally. Really good.
22.11.2015 - 23:02
mz
Written by Karlabos on 22.11.2015 at 15:11

Dimesland - Psychogenic Atrophia

Was ready to start barking about this being a 2014 record
----
24.11.2015 - 01:09
mz
Written by Karlabos on 14.11.2015 at 02:12

Corrections House - Know How to Carry a Whip

I am liking this one.
----
24.11.2015 - 01:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'm not sure if this was posted here before (the search didn't return anything)
Totally upbeat sinthy blackgaze from Azerbaijan. For fans of Germ or AAFCC.

Violet Cold - Desperate Dreams

If Tanner was here he'd like this. Oh well...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.11.2015 - 08:52
Risto
Wandering Midget
Anomalie's Refugium is a blend of black and doom metal, with post-metal tendencies. Very cool sound, catchy guitar melodies and great vocals!

Bandcamp
24.11.2015 - 20:55
mz
Something drony and textured. Musically very great. I wished that vocals were more subtle, though.
"The result is an emotionally and atmospherically charged album crossing genres around dark doom metal, esoteric drones and neofolk"

SOL-The storm bells chime

----
27.11.2015 - 01:57
mz
New HAIKAI NO KU. One track online for now. As excellent as you might expect from this guy.

HAIKAI NO KU - Temporary Infinity LP - Promo

There is also another track here
----
27.11.2015 - 16:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Some stuff.

Rather brilliant sounding experimental music incorportating ambient and drone, and off-kilter, sometimes Bjork-ish females vox. Really nice.

Possibly posted already. Am a bit sick of OSDM, but it's hard to deny the instant gratification of this. Solid stuff.

Still on the fence about this. Ramleh made some awesome music back in the 80's / early 90s, but this one seems quite hotchpotch. At times it pleases the hypnotizing noise-rock lover in me, and other times it just sounds a bit flimsy and inconsistent. Worth posting anyway.

Blistering blackened / raw thrash EP, that sounds like it could have been made in the 80s. Not often something sounds so authentic to me.

Possibly the best thing I'm posting, this is some kind of enormous sounding, mildly blackened doom, possibly funeral doom, with thick atmoshperics and strong Tibetan and Mongolian-influences. Love it.

Someone I know in Brighton asked me to review this, her friend's band back in France. Actually really good modern blackened death with quite a few old school sensibilities and great sound that manages to balances cavernousness, not unlike Portal at times, with more current day high technicality. Most importantly the song writing is super confident here.

And then there's this. I don't think I actually like it, but I approve of the experimentation of death metal with straight up noise. Could be worth sticking with as it may reveal itself upon subsequent listens.

28.11.2015 - 14:38
mz
One of the best things death metal this year. It is hugely rooted in the legacy of portal/ ulcerate, with few nodes to deathspell omega, but it is definitely more. Maybe not very big novelty, but I love the more clear passages, too. The piano was a little odd, but I think that was the point. Production is spot on, not unlike the last altars record.

Apparatus-Apparatus

Dissecting Temporal Dimensions to Afflict the Abyssi of Chronos is definitely one of the more enjoyable tracks of 2015.
----
28.11.2015 - 14:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 28.11.2015 at 14:38

One of the best things death metal this year. It is hugely rooted in the legacy of portal/ ulcerate, with few nodes to deathspell omega, but it is definitely more. Maybe not very big novelty, but I love the more clear passages, too. The piano was a little odd, but I think that was the point. Production is spot on, not unlike the last altars record.

Apparatus-Apparatus

Dissecting Temporal Dimensions to Afflict the Abyssi of Chronos is definitely one of the more enjoyable tracks of 2015.

Tried a few songs. Their sound is fairly cool, but the songs are hella boring, sorry =P
28.11.2015 - 14:54
mz
Written by Guest on 28.11.2015 at 14:50

Tried a few songs. Their sound is fairly cool, but the songs are hella boring, sorry =P

Really? That's an odd statement to make I approve everything about this record. Murky blackend death went oriental and spiritual is among the best things.
----
28.11.2015 - 14:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 28.11.2015 at 14:54

Really? That's an odd statement to make I approve everything about this record. Murky blackend death went oriental and spiritual is among the best things.

I only tried about 3 and a half, but they were sort of chuggy meandering. They didn't seem to go anywhere or get energy behind them.
28.11.2015 - 15:01
mz
Written by Guest on 28.11.2015 at 14:57

I only tried about 3 and a half, but they were sort of chuggy meandering. They didn't seem to go anywhere or get energy behind them.

That's a complain I could expect from a deadone, not a guy listening to drone 70% of the time
At any rate, this is one of the best portal-esque record I've heard. I think I like it more than the last portal itself.
----
28.11.2015 - 15:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 28.11.2015 at 15:01

That's a complain I could expect from a deadone, not a guy listening to drone 70% of the time
At any rate, this is one of the best portal-esque record I've heard. I think I like it more than the last portal itself.

I'll probably just stick with Abyssal et al for the time being. There's an art to slower, "meandering" songs, it's called Emptiness
28.11.2015 - 15:04
mz
Written by Guest on 28.11.2015 at 15:02

I'll probably just stick with Abyssal et al for the time being. There's an art to slower, "meandering" songs, it's called Emptiness

Still have not heard the new abyssal, duno why
And I hate it when people use my favorite records against each other. Really not similar to emptiness, though.
----
28.11.2015 - 15:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 28.11.2015 at 15:04

Still have not heard the new abyssal, duno why
And I hate it when people use my favorite records against each other. Really not similar to emptiness, though.

Not really, but it's a good example of what something can be at its best.
28.11.2015 - 15:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So this is one of those fuzzy ambient black metal records where all instruments are merged into what appears to be a single mass of sound, making you unable to detect which is which, what makes it sound kinda cute.
Quite depressive stuff with some folk bits thrown here and there.

Twilight Fauna - Shadows Of Ancestors
----
- Reimu Hakurei
28.11.2015 - 17:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So who would have thunk that members of Ash Borer could make something as uncompromisingly evil and nasty as this. Cannot wait for the whole thing.

28.11.2015 - 22:23
no one
Account deleted
^hmmm...interesting
29.11.2015 - 22:33
mz
Modest little EP from UK death metal band VACIVUS. For fans occulty death metal.

VACIVUS-Rite of Ascension

and any cover consisting of only black and red is lovable:

More UK death metal, by the drummer of Sheol.

Vorage

----
30.11.2015 - 14:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 29.11.2015 at 22:33

Vorage

I know the vocalist. Cool guy!
30.11.2015 - 16:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not usually one for well-produced technical prog music but this is actually hooking me a bit (probably being heavily biased because of the artwork being gorgeous). Just shy of actually being tech-death I would say, but I'm sure some would say that it is.

01.12.2015 - 01:01
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 30.11.2015 at 16:57

Not usually one for well-produced technical prog music but this is actually hooking me a bit (probably being heavily biased because of the artwork being gorgeous). Just shy of actually being tech-death I would say, but I'm sure some would say that it is.

You're welcome :-P
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
01.12.2015 - 01:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 01.12.2015 at 01:01

I didn't know you worked at nocleansinging.com =P
01.12.2015 - 01:05
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 01.12.2015 at 01:03

Written by flightoficarus on 01.12.2015 at 01:01

I didn't know you worked at nocleansinging.com =P

Bah, just asked J.N. to add these guys last week. Thought you saw it then.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
01.12.2015 - 01:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 01.12.2015 at 01:05

Bah, just asked J.N. to add these guys last week. Thought you saw it then.

Well the art did look familiar so that could have been where it was from.