Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2015

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 01.12.2014 - 19:17
I've already seen a bunch of 2015 releases being announced, and even streaming in full in some locations, so I figured I'd go ahead and create a place for those releases to be posted. To start we'll have the new Swamp Witch album The Slithering Bog. It's a sludge filled doom album that simply slays, and is streaming in its' entirety on the Swamp Witch bandcamp page. The official release date (for the physical versions) is February 20th, 2015.

01.12.2015 - 01:15
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 01.12.2015 at 01:10

Written by flightoficarus on 01.12.2015 at 01:05

Bah, just asked J.N. to add these guys last week. Thought you saw it then.

Well the art did look familiar so that could have been where it was from.

In any case, cheers. This has quickly become a highlight of 2015 for me.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
01.12.2015 - 01:16
mz
Written by Guest on 30.11.2015 at 14:47

I know the vocalist. Cool guy!

how? I mean, did you know him by his music?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.12.2015 - 01:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 01.12.2015 at 01:16

how? I mean, did you know him by his music?

Nah, I knew him before I knew about his band. He's a long time friend of my old house mate, and we met at Bloodstock in 2013 and spent most of it hanging out.
01.12.2015 - 02:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Some guff I found on the internets which I haven't fully listened to yet but sounds all right.

38 minute track of nice stuff. Starts out gentle, pretty, then elevates into cascadian black metal and heavier sludgier moments, before returning to shimmery post-rock gubbins. Quite nice, as I said in the first line.

Another one with post-rock inflections, or in this case more of a post-rock base that ventures out toward post-metal, doom, folk and other similar areas. Really well put together and professional sounding and pleasantly neutral in tone. Even OM-ish at times.

This one sounds potentially very good indeed. Not sure how to describe it. They're called progressive black metal on MA, though I'm not sure that adequately describes them. There's definitely a post / avant-garde black metal vein to this, but there's also distinct veins of post-metal, atmospheric sludge and a permeating math-like technical element to it as well. The percussion is especially impressive.

Don't know what this band is about exactly, but if the artwork is anything to go by then space might be the answer, which to me would make sense, as they've nailed the cold indifference of the cosmos with this one. The band name also brings up a bunch of space pictures on Google too, so there's that... Seems to be called atmos black most places, which I guess it is, but I would call it ambient black owing to the thickness of the sound and repetition involved. Really good stuff.

01.12.2015 - 13:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Female fronted (though you were never guess it unless you looked it up previously) doom with black metal overtones. Rather good. There's also didgeridoos involved.

01.12.2015 - 14:21
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Wow *.*
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.12.2015 - 15:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Some weirdy death metal with symphonic-ish sinthy passages. I like it

Remids me of Pan.thy.Monium in a certain way

Anthropomorphic Soul - All Hail the Sun of Nothing
----
- Reimu Hakurei
01.12.2015 - 20:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Gotta love that synth.
Blackened sludge (or probably sludgened black) with an all-over-the-top upbeat synthreminding a hammond organ.

Elagabalus - Damnatio Memoriae

Legend says there's other Etoile Filante somewhere on the depths of the internet. I can't seem to find it though, but if someone is luckier...
Space-themed atmo black

And this is a pretty well done doomy black metal. Nice vocal work
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.12.2015 - 18:49
Vombatus
Potorro
Spanish goodies:

Maniac - Vermin Hell

Straightforward catchy black/thrash.

Come Back From The Dead - The Coffin Earth's Entrails

OSDM with different vocal approach. Solid.
05.12.2015 - 00:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Another extraordinary album from Wrekmeister Harmonies. Hugely sophisticated, layered and textured musical journey, not surprising considering it has over 30 known musicians associated with it (including Lord Mantis / Indian, Einsturzende Neubauten and The Body members). The result is a combination of choral, chamber music, drone, doom, post-rock and so on.

07.12.2015 - 16:19
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
New Jess And The Ancient Ones album. Mural of the artwork features Poe, Lovecraft, Mansion, all the usual doom suspects.
Will relisten to the last effort.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

07.12.2015 - 18:15
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Ultimately, I used to appreciate minimal variations on atmos-black despite redundant concept until reading Jooe's epic post which hits the nail on so many heads to these 'atmospheric' bands that have neither enough substance or style of their own. I am starting to recognise what appeals to me more, its solely to do with engaging that makes atmospehere there own and not loosely based of others. So thank you for your enlightenment Jooe. Word up.

Dark brooding ambient, medieval type of folk-drone, this I believe is a John Haughm project? But I could be wrong. Why I haven't heard them before is shameful since I am a slut to Agalloch's EP experiments..
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

08.12.2015 - 23:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Mal Etre has a 2015 minialbum =]
This is more like "black metal/goth rock" rather than their early "goth rock/black metal" though...

Mal Etre - Fractured

And this is some pretty well-done experimental black

Erraunt - The Portent
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.12.2015 - 03:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oriental folk metal aways gets me. This is a death metal with some bamboo flutes and other japanese folk instruments I can't identify. Vocals are pretty weak but you get used to it

Yomi - Age Of The Gods
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.12.2015 - 10:00
Paz
Elite
Black metal combined with Pravoslavic choir music. One of my faves.

12.12.2015 - 23:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
New Nocturnal Degrade. Some melancholic black metal from Italy, what explains the influence of bmia bands like Janvs, Spite Extreme Wing et al.
However in this release the bmia influence is not as clear as was on their previous one. Still good though

Nocturnal Degrade - The Dying Beauty
----
- Reimu Hakurei
13.12.2015 - 18:02
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Some nice French black/doom. Its just filled to the brim with cool ideas. For fans of Ne Obliviscaris, Cormorant, Enslaved, Opeth and Borknagar.

14.12.2015 - 21:51
togo95
Progressive death metal from Slovakia. Nothing too original, but pretty well executed.

15.12.2015 - 03:40
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
No love for Todesstoß here? It's one more of those bm projects with a vast discography full of eps and demos and stuff
mostly bedroom made, noisy black metal a la Enbiluluggal

This album however is pretty good. Highly experimental. Fuck, there's even a harmonica on it.

Todesstoß - Hirngemeer
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.12.2015 - 04:07
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 15.12.2015 at 03:40

No love for Todesstoß here? It's one more of those bm projects with a vast discography full of eps and demos and stuff
mostly bedroom made, noisy black metal a la Enbiluluggal

This album however is pretty good. Highly experimental. Fuck, there's even a harmonica on it.

Wizard penguin is best penguin

I really enjoyed the first song on that album. Wasn't too big on the other two but that might have been me wanting them to be like the first. Anyway, tis a solid album.
15.12.2015 - 21:17
Störgeräus
On November 27th 2015 a new album of the German Black Metal band Hyems was published. It is called "Devianz - Dem Menschen ein Wolf" and the title song "Devianz" can be found on Youtube:

You still can stream the full album at Bandcamp: http://hyems.bandcamp.com
16.12.2015 - 01:16
mz
Swiss death metal inspired by the ancient Persian religion. Murky and filty,but I was supposed to like it more:

----
18.12.2015 - 17:02
Vombatus
Potorro
Crushing OSDM

Vastum - Hole Below

18.12.2015 - 18:20
mz
Yeah vastum is fine.
----
19.12.2015 - 00:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Relatively new Underling. Post-metal

Underling - Bloodworship

And i still haven't listened to this yet, but.. Ho, Do I need it? It's fucking Phobonoid! Finally streaming on Bc.

Phobonoid - ST
----
- Reimu Hakurei
19.12.2015 - 01:42
Diverge
Written by Karlabos on 19.12.2015 at 00:31

Relatively new Underling. Post-metal a la Rosetta

Underling - Bloodworship

You really think this sounds like Rosetta? :O
19.12.2015 - 01:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Diverge on 19.12.2015 at 01:42

Written by Karlabos on 19.12.2015 at 00:31

Relatively new Underling. Post-metal a la Rosetta

You really think this sounds like Rosetta? :O

Well, this new album not much, yeah...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
19.12.2015 - 01:49
Diverge
Written by Karlabos on 19.12.2015 at 01:46

Well, this new album not much, yeah...

It was still good- was just kinda shocked when I was listening to it haha.
19.12.2015 - 13:23
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Intronaut - The Direction Of Last Things. Just heard a couple of songs and sounds really promising!
20.12.2015 - 22:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
What a totally badass debut demo. Basically OSDM but more twisted and chaotic than your average sort.