Style: Atmospheric black metal, Pagan black metal
Release date: September 2014

01. Blackened Fields Cry In The Distance
02. Now Only Abyss Hears Us
03. From The Dead Villages' Darkness
04. Distant Haze Was Arising
05. With The Birds Farewell Song
06. Silky Grasses Wilted

So 2015 starts and we're still talking about September 2014 stuff? Only if it's worth it. And trust me, this IS worth it by any means. Let me tell you about From The Dead Villages' Darkness by Sivyj Yar. For those of you capable of reading Cyrillic, Сивый Яр will look a lot more comfortable to pronounce. This is a one-man project from Russia with the mastermind Vladimir doing all instruments plus vocals. The music is pagan black metal, yet with many atmospheric elements and less typical pagan instruments like flutes during the harsher parts.

Apart from an intro and an outro track, four songs are featured on the record with an average playing time of about nine minutes. While band name and lyrics are Russian, the album and song titles are in English. The music offers a mixture of typical black metal parts with distorted guitars and shrieking vocals on the one hand, and on the other hand pagan atmospheric elements that often feature acoustic guitars and a mellow piano from time to time. This, together with the rather short playing time of the album, creates a unique experience when listening to the whole album from the start to the end. I could go on here talking about how awesome the merging of heavy and atmospheric music sounds, but most people will already get the idea as it's a common genre nowadays.

However, I feel like Sivyj Yar do it better than most other bands, extracting the true essence of pagan music. The songs feel like they were chosen carefully with a love for the details, maybe leaving out some ideas that didn't fit the concept in full. One can't really say which parts (like nature soundscapes and piano) were actually played or recorded by Vladimir, but that doesn't matter because the album is mixed so well that everything sounds like its only purpose was to be featured on From The Dead Villages' Darkness. The musician also knows how to play his instruments, showing a great feeling for the bass and drums while throwing in some guitar solos, too.

The product is something that is worth sparing some time for, maybe with a glass of whiskey or wine in candlelight shine at night. In simpler words, it is special. Something that can be found only a few times per year and for me personally it is one of the best atmospheric albums of 2014 I have heard yet. Recommended for anyone, as it's quite an easy start for beginners of the genre, yet able to satisfy even the most advanced fans.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by Windrider | 02.01.2015

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 236 users
02.01.2015 - 21:03
Rating: 9
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
A beautifully written review for a beautiful album! I am listening during the day but see how this could have been appreciated even more by your suggestion of listening at night with a pleasant glass of wine or whiskey I'll try that tonight!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I shall buy from bandcamp for continued enjoyment.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.01.2015 - 23:02
Rating: 10
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Susan on 02.01.2015 at 21:03

I am listening during the day but see how this could have been appreciated even more by your suggestion of listening at night with a pleasant glass of wine or whiskey I'll try that tonight!

I unfortunately didn't have the time to try this by myself yet That's the pity when you are two people living in a small apartment without doors, save to the bathroom.
03.01.2015 - 00:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 02.01.2015 at 21:03

A beautifully written review for a beautiful album! I am listening during the day but see how this could have been appreciated even more by your suggestion of listening at night with a pleasant glass of wine or whiskey I'll try that tonight!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I shall buy from bandcamp for continued enjoyment.

or good stout or American style ale, ipa and other stronger beer
his all works are good I did listen some of them , Lex asked me , good stuff ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2015 - 01:29
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Nice album indeed. A pleasant listen, thankfully not too heavy on the folk intruments
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.01.2015 - 18:00
lenirI
8.9 !? such noob...do you realise what 8.9 means ?
03.01.2015 - 18:16
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 18:00

Why don't you tell us in a polite and didactic manner?
03.01.2015 - 18:30
lenirI
Written by Ilham on 03.01.2015 at 18:16

Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 18:00

Why don't you tell us in a polite and didactic manner?

i don't like to see noob users who don't know how to analyze music and just giving ratings like he did. An 8.9 album is a total masterpiece; this albums is not...I'd give it 8.2 (objective view).
03.01.2015 - 18:39
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 18:30

i don't like to see noob users who don't know how to analyze music and just giving ratings like he did. An 8.9 album is a total masterpiece; this albums is not...I'd give it 8.2 (objective view).

First of all, a review is a subjective opinion sustained by argumentation. Two, I don't want to shock you with some reality or anything, this isn't a guild of 11 year-olds on Dofus where "noob" is a relevant way of referring to people. You don't agree with the guy's rating, fine, calling him a noob makes you look like the most basic internet idiot. Third thing: LMAO. So you rated 0.7 lower than him, and that makes his review shit? And fifth point, there is no objective view of music. Get off your high retarded horse, and next time come with actual arguments to discuss the music and not pollute this guy's review with idiotic comments. Finally: even better, write your own review. With a reasoning like yours and your ability to express yourself, I'd be happy to have your review to read and laugh at.
03.01.2015 - 18:54
lenirI
Lady, I am over you. Please learn about objectivity in music. Analyzing music requires dedication and criticism.
03.01.2015 - 18:59
Windrider
Raureif
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 18:54

Lady, I am over you. Please learn about objectivity in music. Analyzing music requires dedication and criticism.

I'm not here to defend my review. Simply because I don't have to.
But I must not tolerate your way of speaking, especially with the "ladies" here on MS. If you are "over" someone, mister "expert in analyzing metal music", you directly disqualify for a community like ours.
So please find yourself another place to rant and offend, something that suits you and your kin, and that place is definitely not here.
03.01.2015 - 19:05
Ilham
Giant robot
Max, you a true gentleman .
03.01.2015 - 19:10
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Ilham on 03.01.2015 at 19:05

Max, you a true gentleman .

At your service, madam
03.01.2015 - 19:18
lenirI
Your noobish ratings:

Cradle Of Filth - Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa (you gave it 8.7... which is very noobish).

Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows (did you think a lot to give 10 to this album ? this is hypernoobish !)

Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void (same shit; 8.8)

Carach Angren - Death Came Through A Phantom Ship (9.5 ) )

Eluveitie - Everything Remains (As It Never Was) (OMG ! 9.5)

...and I can continue.

I did analyzed your ratings... and you are over the hills and far away from reallity. Your skills to analyze music is low. You exaggerate a lot with your ratings. Your ratings reflect a lot of falsity.

You are a noob.

You should check Lucas's reviews or Baz Anderson's ones. Maybe you'll learn something.
03.01.2015 - 19:28
Windrider
Raureif
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 19:18

blablabla...

Of course I'd like to change / delete some shit I did in the early days, however you don't seem to have ever accomplished anything more than wetting your pants. People like you are very laughable, thanks for playing the idiot to entertain us all
03.01.2015 - 22:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

[whatever]

Above albums you mentioned has "hit or miss" relationship with many listeners. For one it could be fantastic release but then for others, it might be below-average release reasons best known to them. Yeah, Windrider might have exaggerated his votes on those records which weren't up-to-the standard(from your own perspective) but you really can't just go and lambasted for issues you didn't even addressable.

One *instance is where Winrider reviewed CoF's Darkly Darkly Venus and he rated 8 plus . No doubt his review comes out to be very apt and constructive but I didn't caught his collar for raking up rating much higher than appreciated( PS - I voted 5. It was a terrible release). His views were justifable on his rating. So your bullshit with "adequate analysis on music" or "running away from reality" is totally turd. Keep it with ya' even if he doesn't give a crap about your "judgement".

Anyway, learn to pull your horses back and release when its absolutely necessary. Dude, everyone gets angry.

* i know one example is not more than enough to attest my justification but then again your straightforward crap was just off the mark.
03.01.2015 - 22:21
lenirI
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.01.2015 at 22:10

[whatever]

Above albums you mentioned has "hit or miss" relationship with many listeners. For one it could be fantastic release but then for others, it might be below-average release reasons best known to them. Yeah, Windrider might have exaggerated his votes on those records which weren't up-to-the standard(from your own perspective) but you really can't just go and lambasted for issues you didn't even addressable.

One *instance is where Winrider reviewed CoF's Darkly Darkly Venus and he rated 8 plus . No doubt his review comes out to be very apt and constructive but I didn't caught his collar for raking up rating much higher than appreciated( PS - I voted 5. It was a terrible release). His views were justifable on his rating. So your bullshit with "adequate analysis on music" or "running away from reality" is totally turd. Keep it with ya' even if he doesn't give a crap about your "judgement".

Anyway, learn to pull your horses back and release when its absolutely necessary. Dude, everyone gets angry.

* i know one example is not more than enough to attest my justification but then again your straightforward crap was just off the mark.

the babymetal listener has just spoken...
03.01.2015 - 22:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 22:21

I suppose you'll be PMing every one here telling them how you're objective and better at analysing music than they are like you did with me, except, like with me, you won't bother to show any evidence that you have ever objectively analysed anything?

Please show us your "analyses" and your "objective criticisms" otherwise your words mean absolutely nothing and you will be laughed at and mocked out of the forum. Perhaps learn the meaning of "objective" first though. It'd be a good place to start. Noob.
03.01.2015 - 22:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Haha, I haven't listen to Babymetal. That list was full on mockery.

You just went again off track to save your ailing butt.
03.01.2015 - 23:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 22:21

If you think PMing me this covers your apparent stupidity you're wrong. Pasting me a link to a page which you didn't write without demonstrating you actually understand it does not count.

Try again.
03.01.2015 - 23:15
lenirI
Joe, you are too arogant to deserve explanations about objectivity in music. that link explains some basics of objectivity in music...there is much to say about.
03.01.2015 - 23:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 23:15

Joe, you are too arogant to deserve explanations about objectivity in music. that link explains some basics of objectivity in music...there is much to say about.

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you show your objective criticisms and analyses in the albums you refer to. You never have. Not once. Being objectively in music does not mean saying "You gave this album 8.9 instead of 8.2. You are a noob and objectively wrong." If you believe it does then you need to research the meaning of what objective means, followed by detailed reasoning into why your ratings are objectively correct and cannot be refuted. Until then you remain a joke on this forum.
04.01.2015 - 00:29
Lit.
Account deleted
What a scrub.

His personal text is "expert in analyzing music" yet he gave an 8 to virtually every albums he (supposedly) owns. All he's doing is following the grain of general average album scores on this site. I think this evidence warrants the fact that he and his inane opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.
04.01.2015 - 01:15
Lord_Regnier
Written by Windrider on 03.01.2015 at 18:59

Written by lenirI on 03.01.2015 at 18:54

I'm not here to defend my review. Simply because I don't have to.
But I must not tolerate your way of speaking, especially with the "ladies" here on MS. If you are "over" someone, mister "expert in analyzing metal music", you directly disqualify for a community like ours.
So please find yourself another place to rant and offend, something that suits you and your kin, and that place is definitely not here.

I hope I'm wrong because this guy sounds like "you are a girl, so your opinion is invalid". And I find this kind of mentality extremely stupid.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
04.01.2015 - 01:31
D.T. Metal
Staff
And we are back on track in regards of the comments .... we are? RIGHT !!!
It's a good album and the rating is in the eye of the reviewer.
Moving on ...
04.01.2015 - 02:38
mz
Had not seen anyone using noob since my dota allstars years
thanks for the laugh and reminding me of those good moments.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.01.2015 - 09:09
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Remember the good ol' days when nutters like him were more common. Always something to giggle about. Anyway, they're both wrong. It should be 8.55.
How's pagan different from folk, anyway. I've never been able to figure that out. Oh, and what's a noob?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.01.2015 - 20:18
DJ Cosimoto
Oh how I love a good healthy debate of music and some such album.... But this is great too. Lol... Thank you mister objective master analyser superior critic Lord of darkness.... Or, as some would say: Noob! Lol
06.01.2015 - 09:38
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
(now that I've listened to the album) Doesn't start out that good, too much cymbal usage, too. Steadily gets way better throughout, though. It took a while to figure out what it was reminding me of, an upbeat Woods OF Desolation or Austere. If it wasn't for the slow start, I'd think Windrider's score was spot on.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.01.2015 - 20:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Da fak
lenirI - are you irinel ....sounds like you are Irinel

edit
get it read it backwards
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.02.2015 - 10:18
Aries Rising
Musically this is a beautiful album but the vocals are a bit off putting for me.

Hits total: 4686 | This month: 24