05. Rope Of Regret
06. Between The Wolf-Packs
07. Nebelwerfer
08. Falaise: Cauldron Of Blood
09. Doomsday Elite
10. 503
11. Thousand-Fold Death
12. Warschau III: Necropolis [limited Mediabook bonus]

♪ Spiderschwein, Spiderschwein, does whatever a Spiderschwein does ♫ Can he swing from a web? No he can't, he's a Schwein ♪ Look out, he is a Spiderschwein ♫

Look out indeed, Frontschwein is exactly what it looks like, which means for the least imaginative of you that Marduk still plays WWII-themed black metal. And that is exactly my problem: I have nothing to say that hasn't been said before. Nevertheless, I'll try to muster a few sentences together to make this worth your while.

After five albums without Legion, even the fan that I am is really getting tired of the "new" Marduk formula. If it weren't for Mortuus' unique vomity vocals, I don't even think I would be listening to them that much in the first place. If Rom 5:12 hadn't stolen my heart with its perfect balance between atmosphere, bassy groove and sheer madness, I would have given up on the whole band - Mortuus aficionada or not. Since then, after each new album announcement, I've found myself addressing the following prayer to the invisible being in charge of black metal: "please let this one be Rom 5:13". In vain.

So what does Spiderschwein really do? More or less the same thing as Serpent Sermon. You can imagine the Swedish formation being the veterans that they are, I am left with very little room for criticism in the technical department. In fact, somewhat melodic riffs are everywhere, the bassist and the new guy on the drums don't do much to get noticed in neither a good nor bad fashion. However, I could predict that most of you who might be disappointed will put forward arguments focusing on the artistic direction and songwriting. I would justify my foresight by saying that the whole album, albeit being coherent and well constructed, loses the little momentum it managed to accumulate during the first half in the later long and plodding tracks such as "Doomsday Elite" and "Nebelwerfer" - you know, that thing that werfs nebels. Frontpig feels longer than it actually is, on account of the succession of too slowly accelerating tracks that fail to develop the substance and atmosphere to serve as a basis for the presto tempo songs. Morover, I find the aforementioned fast songs a bit too redolent of their old sound for my taste. At least the guys were nice enough to include a really short and crazy-fast final track to remind you of their existence.

For a while I tried to write a witty conclusion that puts the weaker tracks of this effort in parallel with the disposable nature of the poor soldiers that were sent to die on the many fronts of WWII - yes that's what "Frontschwein" means - but you get the gist of it. This latest opus might be for you If you really needed some new Marduk to play in the car, and if you're new to the band, this isn't such a bad place to start. I'll just personally wait until they send a general to fight for their name, rather than cannon fodder.

---
I am a dedicated and imaginative graphic designer - I mean, look at the commitment to that bad Simpsons joke - looking for interesting projects. Please give me work or I'll hold more reviews hostage with bad visual puns.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by Ilham | 09.01.2015

Comments

Comments: 66   Visited by: 413 users
09.01.2015 - 17:37
Mattybu
Not a lot has made me laugh the past little while and your first paragraph and image actually got me good.

I think I'd like this album and disagree with the score* slightly but good review still.

*edit: not that scores actually matter I probably would just like it more than you is what I meant.
09.01.2015 - 17:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great, now I'm going to be singing ♪ Spiderschwein ♫ all over the place. Thanks. Bitch.
09.01.2015 - 17:44
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Mattybu on 09.01.2015 at 17:37

Not a lot has made me laugh the past little while and your first paragraph and image actually got me good.
I think I'd like this album and disagree with the score* slightly but good review still.
*edit: not that scores actually matter I probably would just like it more than you is what I meant.

Yeah don't worry I get you. I tried to go for the average of my opinion/score + what a "new" fan of Marduk would think. It is an enjoyable album, just not really up to what they have been seen to do.

Written by Guest on 09.01.2015 at 17:41

Great, now I'm going to be singing ♪ Spiderschwein ♫ all over the place. Thanks. Bitch.

What do you think I've had running around in my head since I started writing this? No reason to be the only one suffering. Twat .
09.01.2015 - 18:10
Windrider
Raureif
Nice pic, that of course raises the level for future reviews. Fuck. Can't do anything that requires more skills than I had as a brat with MS Paint on a Windows 98 Computer.

However, if that last line is true I'll drop you a PM in some months when my album is finished and needs artwork.

Btw, cool review too!
09.01.2015 - 18:20
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Windrider on 09.01.2015 at 18:10

Nice pic, that of course raises the level for future reviews. Fuck. Can't do anything that requires more skills than I had as a brat with MS Paint on a Windows 98 Computer.
However, if that last line is true I'll drop you a PM in some months when my album is finished and needs artwork.
Btw, cool review too!

Hahaha, thank you. But it's okay Max, you should go on with your mature and poised poetic way of writing, and I'll go on riddling my half-serious reviews with hijacked covers and pop culture references .

The self-promotion bit is totally true, I'll be patient and wait for you PM .
09.01.2015 - 18:46
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Ilham on 09.01.2015 at 18:20

you should go on with your mature and poised poetic way of writing

Haha I'm not sure if that's what I want to sound like... But ok I am what I am *grabs chips*

Written by Ilham on 09.01.2015 at 18:20

The self-promotion bit is totally true, I'll be patient and wait for you PM .

Great, I hope I will remember it!
09.01.2015 - 18:51
Rating: 10
Electes
Rom 5:12 was an inconsistent mess. It had moments of brilliance that the older albums captured all the way through, and flashes of fiery intensity several of their mid-year albums nailed far more effectively. Can't really complain if Marduk is predominately slapping you upside the face with this new one. If you were expecting more progressive black metal from them, maybe you've gone into Frontschwein with the wrong expectations. I expect to be torn a new asshole, not to sit back in bliss like I do with Lurker of Chalice or something, even though Serpent Sermon had a lot of deviating melody driven songs.

On the originality tag, I suppose it's unoriginal for the band, but there's not a lot of bands, if any, that do what Marduk does. If anything Rom 5:12 was the band's least original, because the sound on that was something a lot of bands had already tackled.
09.01.2015 - 18:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Probably the best intro to a review I've ever read.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.01.2015 - 19:19
Tomas Piller
Did you know a REAL spiderschwein lives in Germany?
http://www.kwick.de/vox-sola/blog/entry/33272497/the-real-spiderschwein/
09.01.2015 - 19:57
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Big LOL over first para and pic.

You should have uploaded a mp3 file of singing "♪ Spiderschwein" rather than typing it. Still it's awesome.

As for album, I already check this one up. Not great indeed. It was okay-ish. "Frontschwein" right goes in satisfactory box.
09.01.2015 - 20:23
Lit.
Account deleted
You know it's weird; I'm actually reading Maus right now and your sorry attempt at a redesign of the pig wouldn't look out of place in it.

Written by Electes on 09.01.2015 at 18:51

Rom 5:12 was an inconsistent mess.

Wrong. Rom 5:12 is actually their best album quality-wise. You want inconsistent? Try Wormwood.
09.01.2015 - 20:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'd take Wormwood over any of their earlier "norsecore" stuff to be honest.
09.01.2015 - 20:41
Frudd
Account deleted
Bitch I dont know how you get away with the stuff in small font. But I lel'd.
09.01.2015 - 20:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.01.2015 at 20:28

I'd take Wormwood over any of their earlier "norsecore" stuff to be honest.

I find they're about equal in terms of shittiness.
09.01.2015 - 20:55
Ilham
Giant robot

Rom 5:12 was an inconsistent mess. It had moments of brilliance that the older albums captured all the way through, and flashes of fiery intensity several of their mid-year albums nailed far more effectively. Can't really complain if Marduk is predominately slapping you upside the face with this new one. If you were expecting more progressive black metal from them, maybe you've gone into Frontschwein with the wrong expectations. I expect to be torn a new asshole, not to sit back in bliss like I do with Lurker of Chalice or something, even though Serpent Sermon had a lot of deviating melody driven songs.

On the originality tag, I suppose it's unoriginal for the band, but there's not a lot of bands, if any, that do what Marduk does. If anything Rom 5:12 was the band's least original, because the sound on that was something a lot of bands had already tackled.

It's your right to like your metal kvlt and raw and [negative adjective I'll censor]. I'll just say that if Rom 5:12 is progressive to you, then maybe you shouldn't be listening to black metal that's been released after 1990.
09.01.2015 - 21:08
Gothmog_Motsham
Still haven't listened to it but your review is basically what I was expecting. Thanks for confirming my doubts. BTW who plays Marduk in their car anyway? I would probably play them if I had a Panzer.
09.01.2015 - 21:14
Electes
Written by Ilham on 09.01.2015 at 20:55

It's your right to like your metal kvlt and raw and [negative adjective I'll censor]. I'll just say that if Rom 5:12 is progressive to you, then maybe you shouldn't be listening to black metal that's been released after 1990.

Nice epeen, sweetie.

For Marduk, it was a progressive album, by their previous standards. Reading comprehension's hard work, I know.
09.01.2015 - 21:16
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Electes on 09.01.2015 at 21:14

Nice epeen, sweetie.

For Marduk, it was a progressive album, by their previous standards. Reading comprehension's hard work, I know.

I know you like to comment just to disrupt. *brushes it off*
09.01.2015 - 23:56
Malignar
Hang in there Electes. Aggressive black metal is definitely not the thing to be into on this sight. Not artsy enough. I have grown a bit bored with the Mortuus stuff. I thought Legion was fantastic, but people bitched about him rhyming lyrics or whatever. They seem to be a bit more aggressive on sample track, which I enjoy.
09.01.2015 - 23:56
Electes
Written by Ilham on 09.01.2015 at 21:16

Written by Electes on 09.01.2015 at 21:14

Nice epeen, sweetie.

I know you like to comment just to disrupt. *brushes it off*

Truth is too much to handle, I guess.
10.01.2015 - 00:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So are we now calling bands "progressive" if they simply stop being generic 90s cut-offs? I guess there's some wiki pages need rewriting.
10.01.2015 - 00:13
Lit.
Account deleted
Marduk were always generic 90s cut-offs. Rom 5:12 just happens to be a good example of how to be a copycat the right way, resulting in a great, albeit completely unoriginal, album.
10.01.2015 - 00:37
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 10.01.2015 at 00:13

Marduk were always generic 90s cut-offs. Rom 5:12 just happens to be a good example of how to be a copycat the right way, resulting in a great, albeit completely unoriginal, album.

Agreed on all points. Take out the dynamism and variation of Rom 5:12 and you get this one.
10.01.2015 - 01:43
V01d
As much as I love my metal kvlt and raw and (I'll use the adjective) shitty, I could never get into Marduk for some reason. Perhaps I'll give some of their earlier releases a listen. The review, on the other hand, is fantastic as it is entertaining =) Awesome review, Ilham.

Electes, this is Metal Storm. Not a coffee shop.
10.01.2015 - 01:54
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by V01d on 10.01.2015 at 01:43

As much as I love my metal kvlt and raw and (I'll use the adjective) shitty, I could never get into Marduk for some reason. Perhaps I'll give some of their earlier releases a listen. The review, on the other hand, is fantastic as it is entertaining =) Awesome review, Ilham.

As you might know, their Mortuus era is not kvlt at all. I don't know what you listened to before, but at the strong risk of repeating myself, I advise Rom 5:12 to get a good idea of what the best of their "second' career sounds like. That is if you still want to give them a chance. And thank you, one can always count on you for your respectful comments .
10.01.2015 - 02:18
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi
I personally actually prefer later Marduk, with Rom 5:12 and Serpent Sermon being my two favorite albums. I like some older stuff as well, such as Opus Nocturne.
With that said, I don't consider them progressive, or ground-breaking at all; I just like them for what they are, (ahem) a band that rips new ass-holes. Thus, I'm looking forward to giving this a spin!

And congratulations on a great review!
10.01.2015 - 02:38
V01d
Written by Ilham on 10.01.2015 at 01:54

Written by V01d on 10.01.2015 at 01:43

As you might know, their Mortuus era is not kvlt at all. I don't know what you listened to before, but at the strong risk of repeating myself, I advise Rom 5:12 to get a good idea of what the best of their "second' career sounds like. That is if you still want to give them a chance. And thank you, one can always count on you for your respectful comments .

D'aww shucks =) I haven't heard much really, other than some of their Panzer Division, which has led me to avoid anything in the realm of black metal with the word Panzer in it. Yeah, I'll give Rom 5:12 a good listen, hopefully I will find something new to enjoy. Thank you the recommendation =)
10.01.2015 - 17:08
Slayer666
Goddamn, I don't even want to know how you got the connection between "Frontschwein" and that Simpsons joke....

but I kinda like it
10.01.2015 - 21:41
garmling
Account deleted
Lost my interest half way through.... I almost fell asleep but the last song Warschau III: Necropolis reanimated me, and lo it is actually song made by Arditi... I'm not some huge fan of Marduk, but I had some hopes for them after Rom 5:12, but alas....
11.01.2015 - 12:12
Rating: 9
PanzerPriest
Anyway , I've just listened to this album. In my opinion the review is too critical. Great military black. And what for the originality.. Noone should expect something original from the classical black metal bands. Without no intension to offend.

Hits total: 12077 | This month: 29