Metal Storm logo
10th Anniversary Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

It's that time of the year ? the annual Metal Storm Awards are upon us.

In order to lead-in to the 2014 award, we thought we'd first look back and present you the option to help determine the best of the first 10 years. We've taken the winners you the readers picked and decided to pit them each against one another to determine the genre winners for the past decade.

May we present The 10th Anniversary Metal Storm Awards.

Voting will end on January 28th.

Enjoy.

Team MS.

\m/
Posted: 15.01.2015 by D.T. Metal

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 129   Visited by: 833 users
15.01.2015 - 20:04
Uldreth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.01.2015 at 19:59

Unfortunately all those AA albums won in their respective years. So, they were put in there just like all the other categories consist of only the winners.

I realize this was the nature of this award contest, I just doubt its "usefulness". I am hardly the "obscure or die" type of person, neither am I one who usually complains about "WHY IS X BAND NOT FEATURED" during the regular awards or "WHY DID DIS POPULAR BAND WIN" type, but this award, which is supposed to be a celebration fails to engage me.

I also realize probably the staff is busy with the regulars and everything else, but as someone said above, even having only write-in votes from the last 10 years would have generated a more interesting award voting, imo.
15.01.2015 - 20:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Uldreth on 15.01.2015 at 20:04

I realize this was the nature of this award contest, I just doubt its "usefulness". I am hardly the "obscure or die" type of person, neither am I one who usually complains about "WHY IS X BAND NOT FEATURED" during the regular awards or "WHY DID DIS POPULAR BAND WIN" type, but this award, which is supposed to be a celebration fails to engage me.

I also realize probably the staff is busy with the regulars and everything else, but as someone said above, even having only write-in votes from the last 10 years would have generated a more interesting award voting, imo.

The usefulness is simple - a little celebretion for (almost) everyone. Enjoy it or not
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.01.2015 - 20:39
D.T. Metal
Staff
Nobody implied it's "useful" - the intent was to show who all WON over the last 10 Years - it's that simple. A lot of oldtimers find it quite nice to see who won, especially in the early years of the MSA's, while some newer members feel disconnected with the winners of the past.

Geesh - that's why we can't have nice things - you all argue a mute point to death.

Enjoy it - or don't - but take it for what it is - YOUR winners over the last 10 Years.
15.01.2015 - 20:55
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by D.T. Metal on 15.01.2015 at 20:39

Nobody implied it's "useful" - the intent was to show who all WON over the last 10 Years - it's that simple. A lot of oldtimers find it quite nice to see who won, especially in the early years of the MSA's, while some newer members feel disconnected with the winners of the past.

Geesh - that's why we can't have nice things - you all argue a mute point to death.

Enjoy it - or don't - but take it for what it is - YOUR winners over the last 10 Years.

I definitely agree with you on this. The users are the ones who voted these in, so we really don't have a right to complain. I know I pointed out the lack of variance earlier, but I didn't mean any offense (I also said I thought this was a good idea). It's a "best of the best", in terms of the MSA. If non-MSA albums had been included it really wouldn't have made sense as a concept. I think people may be taking this a wee bit too seriously.
15.01.2015 - 21:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Exactly
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.01.2015 - 23:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

staff is busy and dealing with write-ins is a colossal pain in the ass during the regular awards, never mind if every entry was a write-in.

the only real embarrassment in regards to the awards is the inability of people just to enter a band name and album name as it's listed. ffs half the write-ins look like a Bad English multi. i've spent hours cleaning up write-ins, merging 8 variants of the same band/album into one field.

and, you know what, the same f'in albums would be at the top and it would be even more depressing, given the k00l kvlt acts would just have their votes even further split.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2015 - 23:51
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Wtf? There's 3 Behemoth albums in the Death Metal list!

Is this serious?

Edit: And Septicflesh is a "wiunner".
16.01.2015 - 01:58
Lit.
Account deleted
I love that the Hardcore/Metalcore/Deathcore genre, one I usually end up blazing through, was the hardest one for me this year. All the other categories had like one or two good albums in them. The only other one that gave me an issue was the Avant-Guarde where I had to pick between Monotheist and Deconstruction.
16.01.2015 - 02:00
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.01.2015 at 23:51

Edit: And Septicflesh is a "wiunner".

LOL - thanks for catching this.
16.01.2015 - 05:38
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Dark Cornatus on 15.01.2015 at 14:10

Doom and Symphonic Metal were actually pretty hard for me, i had a few almost equal options in each.

Same here. Both have 2 of my favourite albums in them. Still haven't decided yet.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.01.2015 - 06:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2015 at 05:38

Same here. Both have 2 of my favourite albums in them. Still haven't decided yet.

Doom and Extreme Doom for me. Doom has two i really dig, Extreme Doom is pretty loaded, even if some of the other categories have less than stellar winners.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.01.2015 - 08:27
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 16.01.2015 at 06:11

Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2015 at 05:38

Doom and Extreme Doom for me. Doom has two i really dig, Extreme Doom is pretty loaded, even if some of the other categories have less than stellar winners.

Extreme Doom had great albums, but it was a clear winner for me. A personal favourite.
16.01.2015 - 08:52
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by BitterCOld on 15.01.2015 at 23:36

the only real embarrassment in regards to the awards is the inability of people just to enter a band name and album name as it's listed. ffs half the write-ins look like a Bad English multi. i've spent hours cleaning up write-ins, merging 8 variants of the same band/album into one field.

You'd think it would be easier to just see if it's already been written in and copy/paste it than type it out.
Maybe the people who don't like these nominees would be happier if you guys just re-opened the voting for all 10 years of the awards. And do it again when the same albums win again.
----
16.01.2015 - 11:02
Himedal
Been waiting for this. let's vote the best.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
16.01.2015 - 14:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
How come the melodic black and the short lived metalgaze winners aren't here? Was it because they'd only have 4 nominees combined?
----
16.01.2015 - 15:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Hello ! I'm your average know-nothing user but I know this single useless fact nobody gives a single sad flying fuck to my comment on this idea though I would like to spare a few seconds on sharing it.

Do I have the right to tell you the truth? Honestly, I don't like this idea, but it's not because "only obscure bands" must have had the chance for being involved in this awards. I think MS staffers chose a wrong a way to promote and celebrate 10th anniversary. However, I preferred more diversity for choosing the bands to vote in every genre. WELL, I know it's not the matter of my personal preference, still there could be both 10th anniversary and also the same previous format of awards, again well it's my PERSONAL suggestion and not what staffers usually think it's right to do.
----
The Fangirl.
16.01.2015 - 17:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Mary - You joined the heatwave bit late. Hostility has done and answers to those are above. Kindly look into it and see why they didn't go for diversity and promotion.

Anyway, its your opinion. On the other hand, I'm enjoying a lot(even though I have issues with nominations getting repetitive).

Enjoy.
16.01.2015 - 20:06
thehondo
Thank You!.. and Congratulations! to Metal Storm, for giving myself and Thousands others a place to go! \,,/
----
No time like the present
16.01.2015 - 20:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
If people want "diversity" or whatever they can always uses this as a reason to check back to prior years awards... while the winners are pretty much always the big names, you'll see who finished top 10 or so in most genres in prior years. lots of goodies to find amongst those. usually sitting around 7-10.

pretty sure numerous staff have Top 100 of the 00's lists littered with "lesser known" stuff as well. Timing doesn't exactly synch up with awards 10th, but still, they're all there for you. the slightest bit of exploration on this site will reveal them.

this, as has been stated repeatedly, is what it is. zero reason to be embarrassed or ashamed as far as I'm concerned. i participated in all these awards, voting from the inaugural, helping from '07 on. outside Extreme Doom, i think i can count the number of albums i voted for amongst these winners on one hand. it's not my take, not D.T.'s, not any other individual staff members. It's the users.

enjoy this look back. or don't.

i just find it an interesting vessel as a way to look back at my time on MS and see the evolution of the site in a small snapshot.
----

16.01.2015 - 20:34
Frudd
Account deleted
I cant choose between (Isa/Axioma) and (Stone's Reach/With Oden). HALP.
16.01.2015 - 20:40
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 16.01.2015 at 20:34

Isa and With Oden. You don't have to thank me.
16.01.2015 - 21:44
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Thinking of MetalShitstorm.ee brough tears into my eyes. (Even now when I go to MS, I still automatically type .ee in the end. Buehehe, I'm gonna cry me a river now, because now all this has reminded me of how much I miss junkyard )
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
17.01.2015 - 04:18
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 16.01.2015 at 20:34

I went with Isa, far more powerful album. and for the last, I picked Character but If I were you I'd go with, With Oden on our side.
----
Coldgrits
17.01.2015 - 05:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Axioma was my pick. i liked how it continued their more progressive, uh, progress, while back and grabbing some of the more aggressive/edgier aspects of their early days.

but ultimately it's whatever floats your boat... er viking war ship. i'm just happy they have entries here. when i was first active on MS, no Enslaved album had more than 45 votes in the discography.
----

17.01.2015 - 06:24
Something positive: I love the metalstorm awards and look forward to it every year. It has introduced me to so many great bands I have missed or never would ave known of over the years, Like Ava Inferi, Secret Sphere, Vision Divine, The Forshadowing, Heavenswood, Dalriada, Japanische Korfamspiel...the list goes on and on!

Here's to another 10 years!
17.01.2015 - 08:55
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by angel. on 16.01.2015 at 15:37

still there could be both 10th anniversary and also the same previous format of awards

This reads like you might be mistaking that this is all you get for MSA this year, so just in case, there is still going to be a 2014 edition of the MSA come February 1.

(if I've misread that statement then ignore, lol)
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

17.01.2015 - 13:04
Frudd
Account deleted
Picked Axioma and Oden. And may the best most popular albums win.
17.01.2015 - 15:56
Iriki
Choosing the best alternative metal album among: Anathema, Gojira, Tool, Mastodon and Meshuggah

17.01.2015 - 16:17
Ardynaika
Ango Gobloggian
Ahab's The Divinity of Oceans is linking to a Napalm Death live album
17.01.2015 - 16:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Indeed it is. That's odd. Both band indexes show as id=2139 on the url
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei

Hits total: 7705 | This month: 12