Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
07.01.2009 - 20:43
Hellkommando
Power metal for me was the easiest to get into mainly because I am really into fantasy stuff; LOTR, DND etc. I just enjoy the sound and the overall music, really easy to get into.

Written by Luciferion on 07.01.2009 at 18:02

I believe any of the cleaner sounding genres like power and folk get it for sure.

A good point, I also find the cleaner stuff easier to get into although I got into Death metal pretty quickly. However, Black metal took some time for me to get into.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
15.01.2009 - 06:47
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah I suppose powermetal is the easiest on the ear, for lack of better explination. Thats sort of where I started (if you cancel out the other un-powermetal stuff like old Machine Head and Sepultura).

Blackmetal for me was the most difficult, probably still is, theres only a handful of blackmetal i can tolerate and they all have some degree of melody to them and good productions. I do like Emperor as well from time to time but their shit was probably the hardest for me to listen to, especially "Prometheus".
27.01.2009 - 08:15
Evil Chip
For me those women fronted metal bands like within temptation, nightwish, lacuna coil, etc. Goth/power metal? power/symphonic metal? I don´t know how to label its just women fronted metal bands for me.
They are melodic, not so fast, catchy, not too agressive and kinda poppy, you just can't avoid that choruses to stay in your brain. Another genre would be nu metal for the men.
27.01.2009 - 08:17
Evil Chip
When i first listened to thrash like slayer or metallica I didn't liked it because it was way too extreme just because I found it boring. Now i can really apreciate those bands same goes for death or black metal.
28.01.2009 - 06:26
Anthem
Power metal is an east transition because you go from Sabbath straight to Maiden, Preist, etc
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
28.01.2009 - 08:56
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Anthem on 28.01.2009 at 06:26

Power metal is an east transition because you go from Sabbath straight to Maiden, Preist, etc

thats right!!!! I first listened to Helloween and then Maiden and Priest!!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.03.2009 - 00:31
ToMegaTherion
Between Power metal and heavy metal they are the two easiest types of metal to get into, at least for me. Probably because even when you get an average generic band in power metal, as long as they have a good singer even if the bands itself is crap, they will usually have one or two decent songs. But also a lot of the masters of power and heavy metal are household names and therefore tend to be amongst the earliest versions of metal people tend to get into.
21.03.2009 - 19:40
ms68
When i started metal with slayer i hated bands like iron maiden. i think choosing easist genre to get into depends on your mood and your passion. for example two years ago i didn't listened to soft vocal bands but know i'm not in the mood of harsh vocal mostly. answer of your question is everchanging.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
23.03.2009 - 15:07
Xeros612
Nu metal and metalcore. Both are very commercial and made for the masses, therefore are very easy for the masses to get into. This is really the best part of these two subgenres, they're "stepping stone" genres. If people get into it, then perhaps they can be like me and start getting into the better, more underground genres and probably leave the "stepping stones" more or less behind.
30.03.2009 - 23:48
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Xeros612 on 23.03.2009 at 15:07

Nu metal and metalcore. Both are very commercial and made for the masses, therefore are very easy for the masses to get into. This is really the best part of these two subgenres, they're "stepping stone" genres. If people get into it, then perhaps they can be like me and start getting into the better, more underground genres and probably leave the "stepping stones" more or less behind.

Ya they may be stepping stones but dont they tend to be stepping stones the brick wall known as the metal elitists?
If your listening to Nu metal and get interested enough to start asking around communities for other genre's and bands
im fairly certain that 4 in 5 people will either ignore, ridicule, or insult you profusely.

Sad but true.
31.03.2009 - 20:19
Xeros612
Written by Guest on 30.03.2009 at 23:48

Ya they may be stepping stones but dont they tend to be stepping stones the brick wall known as the metal elitists?
If your listening to Nu metal and get interested enough to start asking around communities for other genre's and bands
im fairly certain that 4 in 5 people will either ignore, ridicule, or insult you profusely.

Sad but true.

Partially because Nu-Metal really does just plain suck. In most cases, it's basically hard rock with the hardness turned up a little bit. In other cases, a lot of the fans like to think bands like Slipknot are brutal, which is just pure ignorance.
01.04.2009 - 11:13
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Xeros612 on 31.03.2009 at 20:19

Written by Guest on 30.03.2009 at 23:48

Sad but true.

Partially because Nu-Metal really does just plain suck. In most cases, it's basically hard rock with the hardness turned up a little bit. In other cases, a lot of the fans like to think bands like Slipknot are brutal, which is just pure ignorance.

I agree that it is pretty damn horrible and there is no way in hell a Korn CD will ever be permitted within 5 meters of my home
but theres a big difference between
"Whoa your lame thats not even damn metal, i hereby revoke your right to the horns now get outta my sight"
and
"okay lets forget all about that, your with friends now. here, take this bathory CD and get in touch with your musical heritage"

all in all we oughta be more constructive.
01.04.2009 - 20:03
Xeros612
Yeah, I agree with maybe not slaughtering the mainstream listener fools right away, just if they fear/refuse to expand into the underground genres of win.
09.07.2009 - 09:30
I'll say both power metal and Heavy are some of the easiest to get into... but, I think glam is probably the easiest because is very poppy many bands use ballads. For me the hardest was problably Brutal/Technical Death Metal and to some extend still is
09.07.2009 - 10:51
IronBlackZepp
Either Heavy Metal, or mabey Power Metal. Because of the face that it is not as hard on the ears as stiles Thrash, or Death, and not as complex as Prog.
14.07.2009 - 18:59
Andresopeth
I think glam and Progressive
14.07.2009 - 19:06
Andresopeth
Written by Evil Chip on 27.01.2009 at 08:15

For me those women fronted metal bands like within temptation, nightwish, lacuna coil, etc. Goth/power metal? power/symphonic metal? I don´t know how to label its just women fronted metal bands for me.
They are melodic, not so fast, catchy, not too agressive and kinda poppy, you just can't avoid that choruses to stay in your brain. Another genre would be nu metal for the men.

Yeah man, to me the same, beside Glam and Progressive which i already posted here should be Woman fronted bands because all the orchestra and female vocals (Epica, Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation)
15.07.2009 - 04:25
soadbyob
Account deleted
It all depends on if you just naturaly love metal, then you can just jump right into death and black metal. you just have to have that metal gene
21.07.2009 - 17:13
Skøllgrim
Northern
Music that is pleasant, easy (song structure etc) and pop influenced I suppose is the easiest.
Music that is brutal, ugly, hard (song structure etc) and harsh I suppose is the hardest.
But its not all that easy... Depends on who you hang with, how things are presented and how you are as a person I guess.
Personally I didn't appreciate extreme metal in the beginning because I didn't fully understand it, but as I had gone through power metal, Gothic metal, and some other stuff for a while... I found myself being able to listen to it more and more... Same thing has happened with my friend... so I suppose you accept more and more.... Just a thought anyway

as for genre's... I don't really know... for my sake it was power and gothic, for other people it might be the metal that is presented a lot in the media, like nu metal and metalcore?
22.07.2009 - 23:18
Demonisch
Account deleted
Some of my favourite music is from Bonnie Tyler and Meat Loaf (I like "musicals" style rock/metal). Symphonical (Nightwish) and power metal (Hammerfall) got me into metal. I have got a few friends and even my mother into symphonical metal via Nightwish. Therefore I think symphonical metal is the easiest to get into. Only problem is in the UK it is not as popular as in the rest of Europe
23.07.2009 - 21:12
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
People with a classical music background would find symphonic metal or symphonic power metal quite easy to get into. The instrumentals of Metallica like Ktulu and Orion got me started into Metallica as well
----
loves 小巫
25.07.2009 - 23:47
Saitenhexerin
For me it was always easiest to first show my friends Power/Epic/symphonic metal, like Avantasia, Hammerfall etc.
And if they liked it I slowly changed the music I gave to them, with heavier stuff...^^ That's the way I've gotten quite a bit of people into metal lol
So I guess it might be Power Metal, becase it has clean vocals and all that cheesy (i am sorry for that lol) keyboards and those epic melodies and stuff...so this might be one of the easier genres.
BEcause if I imagine showing some people Slam Death Metal or Grindcore or something at first, they would maybe run away screaming!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
27.07.2009 - 14:40
JAGEagent
Well I was and still am a classic rock fan, so the really old stuff was easiest for me to get into. I mean the borderline hard rock / heavy metal stuff but also early metal like early Sabbath and the first few Priest albums.

Took me a while to be able to appreciate extreme metal, I even used to mock it, which is ironic because it annoys me when my friends do that now.
27.07.2009 - 22:19
Diablos
Account deleted
Melodic/Symphonic Metal in my opinion. Bands like Stratovarius are really easy to listen to.
30.07.2009 - 13:09
GamlaSonn
Sometimes when i listen to thrash I think.. why doesn't everybody like this? I find it really easy to dig and listen too, well, the groovy stuff, not slayer

but yeah as it had been said before, it depends on your history. From hip-hop -> nu-metal, epic stuff -> power metal, if you somehow like really long moody songs -> prog etc
24.10.2009 - 21:38
Hanyuchan
Power metal
25.10.2009 - 19:17
Kratos
Classic heavy metal like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or power metal like Helloween or Hammerfall
26.10.2009 - 01:39
ToMegaTherion
For me the easiest genre to get into well actually i would rate 3 on par with eachother Thrash, Power and Heavy metal, all of them are catchy, awesome genres, at least in general. I honestly prefer to judge band individually, but this is a generic and broad account of the bands of found easierst to get into, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards ect.
28.10.2009 - 16:46
flickaa
Progressive metal... least harsh in my opinion XD
01.11.2009 - 13:27
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
Written by flickaa on 28.10.2009 at 16:46

Progressive metal... least harsh in my opinion XD

progressive metal least harsh ??? WTF ..i guess u never lisned to progressive then hahaha !!
u better can say heavy metal or power ( at least )
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.