Metal Storm logo
Rock music - The devils music?

05.04.2007 - 23:45
necrovamp
I found this website the other day, (ttp://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/devils_music.htm)
it angered me. I thought it a load of bollocks. I know a Mormon, thats one of the strictest christian religions i know of, who listens to black sabbath etc, and anyone who likes metal should know that the 'devil horns' isn't the sign of the devil, its a sign witch can give evil or take evil away, you dont see satanists standing round a fire doing that do you! Im also fed up of chritians standing outside of gigs going on and on about how going to see 'such and such a band' will send you till hell, I don't see a satanist doing that to christians. anyway enough ranting what are your thoughts

I am sorry if i have offended anyone, if you are a christian i fully respect that, i just dont like people going on about how im going to hell because i listen to Korpiklaani or Dragonforce or Ensiferum. there are many paths to go by but in the end they all meet in the same place.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
06.04.2007 - 01:45
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
lol if one gets banished for listening to metal then Dragonforce or Ensiferum are the least of your worries, if you ask me they are pretty tame compared to most other bands who have a real anti-christian point of view.

A year or so ago one of my friends (who used to listen to metal before he became saved) shoed me this dvd called "They sold their soul for Rock 'n Roll" which consists of about 4 dvds full of this dude talking about the history of rock and basically taking it from the 50's through to today. Its pretty wack seeing how many really laid-back bands and pretty HUGE bands like the Beatles all had kinda satanic connotations to their music. Like Anton La Vey being in the booklet of the "Sgt Pepper" album....weird shit like that which I cant really see the meaning of.

As you can probably gather Im not too big on the whole satanic thing, probably because I live in South Africa which is predominantly made up of Protestants (well...despite the fact that only 20% of our country is white) and people over here tend to be much much more religious than people in Europe - especially compared to Scandinavia where most of the bands i listen to originate from.

So yeah to make a long story short, I guess im not all that fond of the anti-christian angle so many bands in the world take and Ive always wondered why the hell they cant just sing about other things. I mean why cant Black Metal bands just sing about other people they hate - why dont they sing about how they are against muslims or whatever? So many Black Metal bands draw the association with satanism, whether its for real or not who knows, but my question is this: Isnt the whole point of satanism that theyre against ALL organised religion?

And i mean...i live in a country where Christianity is probably more prominent than in most of the countries where black metal is found, so the chance that people in Norway (for instance) where most black metal is from, gets force-fed Christianity the way people are here, is fuckall. I guess since Im not European I wont really know why people from there have become so anti-christian...or why they go in such uproar against religion. People are entitled to believe in what they want, and Im pretty sure the whole "the christians try to force their beliefs onto us" argument is getting old as well - Im pretty sure an entire country isnt filled with extremist christians and that most people just go their own way and believe what they want to without giving everyone grief about listening to metal.
06.04.2007 - 02:20
Ernis
狼獾
Jaysus is my mate...at least I want him to be...and I say that people should live and respect each other and not wish bad to each other...

I f someone speaks bad of metal nor metal listeners as satan worshippers, then this is low...well...as is the attitude of some strictly anti-christian bands...but it's the music which counts after all....
It seems to me that there are some christians who simply see evil EVERYWHERE...and often don't notice where the evil really lies....
06.04.2007 - 03:00
Olli
lmfao reading that gave me a laugh..christianity is fine but thats just weird... they say backstreet boys are evil as well as metal so i wouldnt take this site to serously if i were you
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
06.04.2007 - 03:15
Olli
Written by Guest on 06.04.2007 at 03:11

People like the fool who wrote it think music is evil in general though, just shows how little they really know and how close minded religious fanatics really are.

Religion is more of a problem than music ever will be and is responsible for half the shit in the world, like the two countries fighting over that strip of land, The Gaza Strip or whatever the fukk it's called cause they reckon god told each of them they own it bollocks he did matey it's just an excuse for killing people and having a fukking war and using religion as a crutch to justify it all.

i couldnt agree more
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
06.04.2007 - 04:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I think the funniest thing is when you are to compare which song is GOOD and which one is THE DEVIL'S...I don't think that God would listen to this shit...
07.04.2007 - 21:37
arwestromen
lol is this for real, do they take this seriously? who runs such a website
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
07.04.2007 - 21:47
Vunts
Written by necrovamp on 05.04.2007 at 23:45

i just dont like people going on about how im going to hell because i listen to Korpiklaani or Dragonforce or Ensiferum.

Dude, stop complaining. It's not like there's any cool people in heaven anyways. Hell is where the party is at!

EDIT: oh, i forgot to give my comment on the topic itself. My definite opinion is: i don't give a crap.
07.04.2007 - 22:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
I stop to loose my nerves about stupidities like this long time ago.. We have many TV shows here when some Catholic or Orthodox priest come to the studio and eat a lot of shit about Rock, Metal and Hip Hop music, I mean they are demented fanatics. I don't hate Christians, my mom is one, but sometimes they just can be hard. My mom is Christian, and she don't give a shit if I carry Marduk shirt or if I go on 'satanistic' gig. That is the way I would like everyone to be, to respect and tolerate others. When I was going to Gorgoroth gig I let her see their video, she only said, wow, they are ugly and have a good time.
People are writting too many shits about Metal, I don't understand why they just cannot accept it, this article is pure shit and I don't even read it until the end because I don't want to fill my brain with unnessecary stupi and slow minded informations, I would rather read about anything else...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.04.2007 - 23:51
Sunioj
Surprise surpise, I agree with Aronax, I cant be bothered with stuff like this anymore because its so typical and boring of fundies to pull something like this. I mean what can I say about stupid immature people who waste their time giving bands SO much unneccesary attention? They are really just wasting their time. Its entertainment, its shock value, its JUST music. They need to get over themselves.

@Valaskajdf
I can see where you are coming from...but the only thing I can really say is that if metal where to sing about other things it wouldnt be the same...Lets see, if Morbid Angels covenant or Vomitories Revelation Neaseau sung about certain people they hate, I wouldnt feel the same way about it. I like the anti christian lyrics, I identify myself with it. I agree that why cant they ever address Islam, because I hate that religion more...but the lyrics are settled, they will forever in my mind be in the music that I find classic.
10.04.2007 - 04:20
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
My god, why must crazy hardcore christians keep attacking metal lol? even if some bands have Saintanic lyrics it doesn't mean that they believe in that which their singing.

I also think it's weird how religious people speak so badly about music, considering how because of religion there have been countless wars responsible for taking so many lives. World War 2 for example in which Hilter (i'd think he was a fanatic christian) got the stupid idea through his skull that Jewish people were responsible for the errors of society, terrorists are killing themselves and others for their god, racism is going around because of religion, the two crusades, and that's just for starters.

Music on the other hand only helps people and is there for them in time of need (wow what a crime).
10.04.2007 - 08:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Im not even going to start to think this is representing even a small community, its probably just some crazy asshole in his/her basement making a stupid page like that, that doesnt bother me in the least.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.04.2007 - 01:57
MassacreofWords
Shakespearian
lol and to think it all started because classical comosers began using diminished chords in their music.
----
HORROR METAL
30.04.2007 - 19:44
enixtm
I guess, if the devil existed, you would probably see him headbanging at some Mayhem concerts..so, you can say it is.. but seriously, as people stated above, this is not worth bothering for.
----
How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh?
30.04.2007 - 20:37
magick
Account deleted
Written by necrovamp on 05.04.2007 at 23:45

I found this website the other day, (ttp://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/devils_music.htm)
it angered me. I thought it a load of bollocks. I know a Mormon, thats one of the strictest christian religions i know of, who listens to black sabbath etc, and anyone who likes metal should know that the 'devil horns' isn't the sign of the devil, its a sign witch can give evil or take evil away, you dont see satanists standing round a fire doing that do you! Im also fed up of chritians standing outside of gigs going on and on about how going to see 'such and such a band' will send you till hell, I don't see a satanist doing that to christians. anyway enough ranting what are your thoughts

I am sorry if i have offended anyone, if you are a christian i fully respect that, i just dont like people going on about how im going to hell because i listen to Korpiklaani or Dragonforce or Ensiferum. there are many paths to go by but in the end they all meet in the same place.

I feel for you man, it's people like that motivated me to pursue free-thinking(I'm so lucky I did ), so I could free myself from them and their stupidity. My best advice to you is just ignore them, they can have their opinion, and you can have yours...just don't be intimidated by them and their bigotry. Believe me the people with the way of thinking in the post are only about a little fraction of the population, so don't take them seriously. The majority of these crazy fundlamentalist are a bunch of brain-washed freaks that fear what they don't understand, and constantly try to find something wrong with or take their problems out on the rest of society. Not all christians are like this but the christian way of thinking can be dangerous and lead to crap like this, and more.
30.04.2007 - 22:44
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 10.04.2007 at 04:20

My god, why must crazy hardcore christians keep attacking metal lol? even if some bands have Saintanic lyrics it doesn't mean that they believe in that which their singing.

I also think it's weird how religious people speak so badly about music, considering how because of religion there have been countless wars responsible for taking so many lives. World War 2 for example in which Hilter (i'd think he was a fanatic christian) got the stupid idea through his skull that Jewish people were responsible for the errors of society, terrorists are killing themselves and others for their god, racism is going around because of religion, the two crusades, and that's just for starters.

Music on the other hand only helps people and is there for them in time of need (wow what a crime).

Actually, Hitler was atheist. He claimed he was Catholic, but his pathological hatred for the Jews wasn't religious; it was due to experiences in WWI and in Vienna/Munich after the war (his racial theories weren't new, as well).

Well, now that that's out of the way, the tirade against fundamentalism can begin!

*cracks knuckles*

First things first; do not make the mistake of believing that fundamentalists speak for the entirety of the religion. For example, the majority of Muslims are courteous, friendly people (and don't believe otherwise; if they were all terrorists, there would be no chance for the UK or the US). Similarly with Christianity, the minority have the loudest voice, and the really good Christians are the ones who are really involved in charity work, don't mouth off about other people and are generally very tolerant. Anybody you find claiming that 'Group X is going to hell' or 'Act Y will condemn you for all time' (where such an act is something fairly harmless, not like murder) is generally a prejudiced bigot who just wants to make themselves feel holy and look big...the best thing you can do is to ignore them, but don't think that all Christians are like them.

As to the article itself...

I have nothing to say. The cretins are so narrow-minded that they can't tell simple tongue-in-cheek playfullness from anything approaching serious criticism of Christianity (which is what most 'Satanic' bands like Slayer, Venom etc. are aiming for). Tom Araya is a Catholic, and we all know Venom aren't serious about their Satanic imagery...it's all an act, and one that was designed specifically to piss off the fundamentalists.

Actually, if you look back through history, it's actually the fundamentalists who started it all! Consider the popular image of Satan. He has goat's legs, goat horns (or head), carries a pitchfork etc. Now, where is this image mentioned in the Bible? Answer - NOWHERE! It is a fabrication created by early Christians (probably starting around the 4th Century A.D.) to discredit those religions they did not like. Consider this; both Baphomet and Pan are goat-headed Gods, who were worshipped as pagan fertility/nature Gods in much of rural Europe. Posiedon (sp?) carried a trident, and the pentagram was actually a symbol of Venus (as much as I hate to use knowledge spread by Dan Brown). The 'Devil Horns', as people have said, was originally used to ward off evil (read the first chapter of 'Dracula'!). Ronnie James Dio and Gene Simmons used it in this context, presumably taught by traditionally-minded grandmothers.

As to the usage of such 'blasphemous' symbols in rock music, it is again the fault of the fundamentalists. Those who complained about the ludicrous 'backwards message' in Stairway to Heaven were the ones who promoted bands like Slayer and Iron Maiden to put tongue-in-cheek messages in their lyrics. And the concept of 'Sympathy For the Devil' is hardly original...Paradise Lost, anyone? (That's the poem, not the band ).

Basically, 90% of 'Satanism' in rock music is a direct response to the over-zealous reactions of the fundamentalists, and the other 10% is, more often than not, atheistic Satanism or Occultism, neither of which would accept a physical representation of Satan. Ignore these idiots who read too much into the situation (I once saw one article which claimed a Christian performer supported Satan because she performed the manu cornatu with thumb hidden rather than extended along with the fore and ring fingers
)...a true Christian will accept you no matter what music you listen to.

And besides, we all know J.C. plays on 11!
----
30.04.2007 - 23:30
magick
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 30.04.2007 at 22:44

Written by Guest on 10.04.2007 at 04:20

Actually, Hitler was atheist. He claimed he was Catholic, but his pathological hatred for the Jews wasn't religious; it was due to experiences in WWI and in Vienna/Munich after the war (his racial theories weren't new, as well).

Well, now that that's out of the way, the tirade against fundamentalism can begin!

*cracks knuckles*

First things first; do not make the mistake of believing that fundamentalists speak for the entirety of the religion. For example, the majority of Muslims are courteous, friendly people (and don't believe otherwise; if they were all terrorists, there would be no chance for the UK or the US). Similarly with Christianity, the minority have the loudest voice, and the really good Christians are the ones who are really involved in charity work, don't mouth off about other people and are generally very tolerant. Anybody you find claiming that 'Group X is going to hell' or 'Act Y will condemn you for all time' (where such an act is something fairly harmless, not like murder) is generally a prejudiced bigot who just wants to make themselves feel holy and look big...the best thing you can do is to ignore them, but don't think that all Christians are like them.

As to the article itself...

I have nothing to say. The cretins are so narrow-minded that they can't tell simple tongue-in-cheek playfullness from anything approaching serious criticism of Christianity (which is what most 'Satanic' bands like Slayer, Venom etc. are aiming for). Tom Araya is a Catholic, and we all know Venom aren't serious about their Satanic imagery...it's all an act, and one that was designed specifically to piss off the fundamentalists.

Actually, if you look back through history, it's actually the fundamentalists who started it all! Consider the popular image of Satan. He has goat's legs, goat horns (or head), carries a pitchfork etc. Now, where is this image mentioned in the Bible? Answer - NOWHERE! It is a fabrication created by early Christians (probably starting around the 4th Century A.D.) to discredit those religions they did not like. Consider this; both Baphomet and Pan are goat-headed Gods, who were worshipped as pagan fertility/nature Gods in much of rural Europe. Posiedon (sp?) carried a trident, and the pentagram was actually a symbol of Venus (as much as I hate to use knowledge spread by Dan Brown). The 'Devil Horns', as people have said, was originally used to ward off evil (read the first chapter of 'Dracula'!). Ronnie James Dio and Gene Simmons used it in this context, presumably taught by traditionally-minded grandmothers.

As to the usage of such 'blasphemous' symbols in rock music, it is again the fault of the fundamentalists. Those who complained about the ludicrous 'backwards message' in Stairway to Heaven were the ones who promoted bands like Slayer and Iron Maiden to put tongue-in-cheek messages in their lyrics. And the concept of 'Sympathy For the Devil' is hardly original...Paradise Lost, anyone? (That's the poem, not the band ).

Basically, 90% of 'Satanism' in rock music is a direct response to the over-zealous reactions of the fundamentalists, and the other 10% is, more often than not, atheistic Satanism or Occultism, neither of which would accept a physical representation of Satan. Ignore these idiots who read too much into the situation (I once saw one article which claimed a Christian performer supported Satan because she performed the manu cornatu with thumb hidden rather than extended along with the fore and ring fingers
)...a true Christian will accept you no matter what music you listen to.

And besides, we all know J.C. plays on 11!

You've made some valid points, but do you have actual proof that Hitler was an atheist...because from most of the studying and info I've heard seem to point to the fact that he was a christian. I will agree that his attack of Jews were mainly political due to WW1, but it is very possible that this action was also because of his religious beliefs,...being that Hitler was fanatical, and pretty much insane. Just consider how the Nazi parties extreme-right wing views are similar to fundalmental christianity, and how the concept of christianity may have inspired this zionist way of thinking due to quite a bit of the questionable content in the bibilcal scripture, or at least the bible taken in certain context. I admit I'm probably not 100 percent correct but I have my reasons to believe Hitler was somewhat inspired by extreme fundalmental christian ideals.
01.05.2007 - 20:47
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 30.04.2007 at 23:30

You've made some valid points, but do you have actual proof that Hitler was an atheist...because from most of the studying and info I've heard seem to point to the fact that he was a christian. I will agree that his attack of Jews were mainly political due to WW1, but it is very possible that this action was also because of his religious beliefs,...being that Hitler was fanatical, and pretty much insane. Just consider how the Nazi parties extreme-right wing views are similar to fundalmental christianity, and how the concept of christianity may have inspired this zionist way of thinking due to quite a bit of the questionable content in the bibilcal scripture, or at least the bible taken in certain context. I admit I'm probably not 100 percent correct but I have my reasons to believe Hitler was somewhat inspired by extreme fundalmental christian ideals.

Hitler claimed to be a Catholic. He was raised a Catholic, yet he attempted to bring a Church called the 'German Faith Movement' into Germany as the major religion. This was effectively a pagan faith, and one which stressed the importance of the Fuhrer and of ceremony (something the Nazis had long used to their advantage as propaganda...think of the Nuremberg rallies). This, Hitler believed, would replace Christianity in the Third Reich. Hitler claimed to be a Catholic because of the ceremony present in the Catholic Church...he admired the order and ritual displayed by the Church...and he also needed to secure the support of German Catholics (initally...from about 1936 onwards, the illusion that Hitler cared for German Catholics vanished, as the Catholic clergy were intimidated as much as any other Christian faith).

The important thing to realise is that Hitler hated what he saw as weakness. To him, the Christian ideal of 'turning the other cheek' was something abhorrent; as he said, 'The only law is the law of the strong'. While you can certainly draw parallels between his ideology (which was borrowed from secular theorists) and that of extreme Christian fundamentalists, the pathological nature of Hitler's ideas makes it very hard to pin down a source or reason for his prejudices. Myself, I don't think Hitler acted based on some inner belief about God's will (which is, I presume, what you mean)...again, the veil of propaganda and misinformation surrounding Hitler makes it difficult to guess at anything properly, but the emphasis Hitler placed on 'making Germany great' and expanding its borders would imply that he acted for 'The Fatherland' and for himself (perhaps the same thing).

Certainly, there is nothing to suggest that he had anything more than tenuous connections with the Christian faith, due to the extent to which it was hounded under the Third Reich...if he was secretly under the impression that his actions were the Christian God's will, then he did a very good job of hiding it, even from his closest staff members.

EDIT: Basically, the entire idea is very subjective, especially given Hitler's state of mind...one man's madness can be another man's 'revelation' from God. That said, your argument is quite valid...like I said, it's all a matter of personal opinion.
----
02.05.2007 - 00:01
Bitch Boy
It's stupid to say that the whole rock or metal genre is satanic only because of some bands' lyrics and atmosphere. But it's also wrong to think that all Christian or religious people consider rock/metal as devil's music.
02.05.2007 - 12:43
Judas
The Amputator
Well, I think almost everything that I would have said myself has already been said by RavenLord. Rock and Metal music follows a psychological principle with its religion-bashing. The more something is forced upon you, the more you want to rebel from it. When The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and the rest of the brigade came up against big opposition from fundamentalists, that would have annoyed many of their fans enough to make them want to 'fight the power' even more than their idols. This is one way of looking at it; another would be that certain people were sick of a set of principles being forced upon them, or found the propagators of these principles humourous, thus decided to deride them in musical expression.

As for that site itself, I can totally understand why they're pissed off about lyrical content, but the music itself? Come on, that's totally ridiculous. They're pretty much shooting themselves by saying that there is no such thing as Christian Rock and Metal, and it's even funnier when really ardent Bible bashers are being called 'Satanic'.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
02.05.2007 - 12:50
Nixx
Account deleted
If I was satan, and I were to make music that would brainwash peoples minds and make them go insane, and lose all common sense.
I would surely make the same music that is floating around in our so-called "Main-Stream" (thinking of Hip-hop, trance, punk-rock etc).

But hey, if rock/metal is the work of satan, the bugger deserves some respect <.<
02.05.2007 - 21:01
RavenLord
Written by Judas on 02.05.2007 at 12:43

As for that site itself, I can totally understand why they're pissed off about lyrical content, but the music itself? Come on, that's totally ridiculous. They're pretty much shooting themselves by saying that there is no such thing as Christian Rock and Metal, and it's even funnier when really ardent Bible bashers are being called 'Satanic'.

For some reason, Christian rock/metal bands like Stryper (yes, even Stryper!) are viewed as 'perverting the youth' as they're 'not real Christians'. Because, as we all know, real Christians beat their children for listening to metal, hate gays, and periodically shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

I'm fairly sure some of you may remember a thread floating around a while ago about the Jehovah's Witness who abused his son for listening to metal? I never decided if that was real or not, because I refused to believe someone could be so idiotic...however, seeing this in the news showed that the fundamentalists know no bounds in their stupidity.
----
08.05.2007 - 04:53
UpTheIrons666
Written by RavenLord on 02.05.2007 at 21:01

Written by Judas on 02.05.2007 at 12:43

For some reason, Christian rock/metal bands like Stryper (yes, even Stryper!) are viewed as 'perverting the youth' as they're 'not real Christians'. Because, as we all know, real Christians beat their children for listening to metal, hate gays, and periodically shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

I'm fairly sure some of you may remember a thread floating around a while ago about the Jehovah's Witness who abused his son for listening to metal? I never decided if that was real or not, because I refused to believe someone could be so idiotic...however, seeing this in the news showed that the fundamentalists know no bounds in their stupidity.

THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH!!
08.05.2007 - 16:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'll quote Alice Cooper from "Metal - A Headbanger's Journey":
The satanism you see in Metal is not satanism, it's some kind of... caricature of satanism. If you're looking for satanism, first of all do not look after it in rock n' roll. A bunch of kids running around, playing guitars loud and do the devil sign... that's Halloween.

I'm not saying that Metal has nothing to do with satanism, but surely you shouldn't blame all the bands for being "Satan's music", that's just naive.
----
08.05.2007 - 17:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Has anyone stopped to think why some Fundamentalist may think this way? I have spent the past two years living with some very Fundamentalist Christians and learned a great deal about their train of thought, as they have with me.

When I first arrived in North Carolina, I got some strange looks. Alright, some people were down right frightened by me. It was a clash of cultures. If I wanted them to not think I was a Satan worshiping baby eater, I had to make the effort to do so. Sitting down to meals with them, getting involved in activities, etc. Soon it was apparent as to why they had a negative view of "metalheads".

What has the Metal community done to reach out the the Fundamentalist Christians? Write songs like "God Hates Us All" and "Priest Raper"? Invert crosses and flash the devil horns? Burn down churches and murder people!? And when the Metal bands that make the news are acts like Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, and Slipknot, what are people supposed to think?

Yes, I understand much of it is in retaliation to oppressive Christians. But then again, are they really Christians? Well, that is a discussion for somewhere else. But the point is when Metal bands aim at pissing off Christians, especially the Fundamentalist ones, what do you think is going to happen? The vast majority of Fundamentalist don't really have a clue what Metal is all about. Like wise, the vast majority of Metalheads are oblivious to what true Christianity is about.

It is a downward spiral. Someone from Bob Jones University writes an article, so some Metal band writes a song about burning down BJU. So some Christians protest said bands concert. Bands fans get pissed off and start arguments. One protester goes home and writes another article. Some Metal fan finds the obscure article online and posts it on www.MetalStorm.ee and starts a thread. And everyone starts in with stereotypes and more disrespect and hate spreads...
----
(space for rent)
08.05.2007 - 18:01
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 08.05.2007 at 17:56

Has anyone stopped to think why some Fundamentalist may think this way? I have spent the past two years living with some very Fundamentalist Christians and learned a great deal about their train of thought, as they have with me.

When I first arrived in North Carolina, I got some strange looks. Alright, some people were down right frightened by me. It was a clash of cultures. If I wanted them to not think I was a Satan worshiping baby eater, I had to make the effort to do so. Sitting down to meals with them, getting involved in activities, etc. Soon it was apparent as to why they had a negative view of "metalheads".

What has the Metal community done to reach out the the Fundamentalist Christians? Write songs like "God Hates Us All" and "Priest Raper"? Invert crosses and flash the devil horns? Burn down churches and murder people!? And when the Metal bands that make the news are acts like Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, and Slipknot, what are people supposed to think?

Yes, I understand much of it is in retaliation to oppressive Christians. But then again, are they really Christians? Well, that is a discussion for somewhere else. But the point is when Metal bands aim at pissing off Christians, especially the Fundamentalist ones, what do you think is going to happen? The vast majority of Fundamentalist don't really have a clue what Metal is all about. Like wise, the vast majority of Metalheads are oblivious to what true Christianity is about.

It is a downward spiral. Someone from Bob Jones University writes an article, so some Metal band writes a song about burning down BJU. So some Christians protest said bands concert. Bands fans get pissed off and start arguments. One protester goes home and writes another article. Some Metal fan finds the obscure article online and posts it on www.MetalStorm.ee and starts a thread. And everyone starts in with stereotypes and more disrespect and hate spreads...

http://www.av1611.org/rockm.html

And to quote something on that page;

"Elton John, sings, "Think I'll buy a forty-four/Give 'em all a surprise/Think I'm gonna kill myself,/Cause a little suicide." "

Lord have mercy!

Elton John are spreading the words of satan!

On a more serious note, I can understand why Christian fundamentalists react as they do though (no seriously!) thinking about how many metal bands WANTS to be viewed (Black Metal *coughs*).
Still, Christians are nothing else for me than a bunch of people, and I know loads of great/cool christians, aswell as lame ones.
Might aswell mention something we all should know, all metalheads aren't exactly the most brilliant people alive aswell

BUT, with all that said, I do believe that fundamentalists DO over-react, considering that many rock/metal lyrics aren't to be taken litterally.
Clearly they should think about that? 'cos if it's like they claim, that suicides is caused due to Metal, then it should be a hell less metalheads alive don't you think?
08.05.2007 - 21:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
don't bother taking this seriously. extremists from all sides sound like absolute morons. feel free to peruse some Dark Funeral lyrics - you'll find them every bit as laughable.

Both sides despise the other and their over the top reactions just egg the opposition on .
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.05.2007 - 22:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 08.05.2007 at 21:48

don't bother taking this seriously. extremists from all sides sound like absolute morons. feel free to peruse some Dark Funeral lyrics - you'll find them every bit as laughable.

Both sides despise the other and their over the top reactions just egg the opposition on .

Yeah, I totally agree. What bothers me is how everyone else gets caught in the middle. Extreme Fundamentalists assume all Metalheads are members of Burzum and likewise Extreme Metal fans tend to think all Christians are Roman Catholic or evangelical Fundamentalists who oppress everyone. Sadly that sort of mentality trickles down on both sides.

The group my heart really goes out to is the Christian Metalheads, their hated by both sides.
----
(space for rent)
08.05.2007 - 22:49
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Dane Train on 08.05.2007 at 22:08

The group my heart really goes out to is the Christian Metalheads, their hated by both sides.

You're actually right....it's sad but it's sometimes so that people who try to have good relations with both sides who don't like each other, are thought bad of by everyone....it's disturbing to see how people say "You're either this or that, but you can't have both!" why should I choose....I think that all people should be treated equally kindly....even if you don't like some person, you should be polite to him and never hurt others.....you say that the church authorities have killed many people...they have...at the same time Jaysus himself said that you must never hurt others...you must never do things to others you don't want to happen to yourself....in this case church authorities are doing exactly the opposite....and harrassment and humiliationg of other beliefs and customs is bad as well....people are blind to see....because that's human nature...there are many evil persons...and I can say that every one of us is selfish and cruel to some extent....people should try to be better....but as you see....church authorites who have commited crimes....they have committed crimes because they happened to have the power...and that turned them greedy....so they ignored the religion itself and started worshipping money and started to be sadistic and teaching people to be sadistic....

What I am saying here....rock music isn't devil's music...nor metal....and I don't hate Satan...I guess he has his own way of thinking and let him do that....one way or another he is connected with God and they both have enormous power and I'm sure they both control this word....for me there is nature and health and forests and old tales and beauty in this world that counts to me...and my friend is Jaysus...for me he is Thor....he makes lightning with his hammer....and for me "light" is in the dark forests and misty mountains where wolves howl....and I love metal...that's my little stupid way of thinking....people may laugh at me....they're probably right.....but I've learnt that I should always try to be kind to others.....it's a matter of one's own heart...
however....if someone speaks "I really hate christians and I want to burn churches"...then of course...I don't support this idea....but I don't hate the person....though the idea is stupid....but he can always explain to me his way of thinking and then we may have a talk on that...then we'll see whether his reasons are serious or silly....
23.05.2007 - 00:31
necrovamp
Im wiht you, fordo dude, you have almost my way of think except for wht you belive, i belive something entirly diffrent, but tith the whole thats what they do, let them get on with it, im with you on that
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface