Metal Storm logo
Rolling Stone's Top 100 Metal Albums of All Time

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.06.2017 - 01:11
So Rolling Stone released a top 100 metal albums of all time list, so I thought I'd put it into topsters and share it here. Thoughts?

I personally don't like it. The ranking is all over the place, and it left out a ton of stuff. I understand more extreme and undergroung releases logically wouldn't make it into a list by Rolling Stone, but I guess I just expected something a little better. It seems like they put no time or thought into the order.
29.06.2017 - 23:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Wrong Isis album. Wow.
----
rekt
30.06.2017 - 00:50
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Jaeryd on 29.06.2017 at 07:00

ote]
I'd say they count as alt-metal or gothic rock.

Evanescence are neither metal nor goth based on the tracks I've heard, just boring lame alt. rock. Gothic rock would be something like London After Midnight, Bauhaus, early The Cure etc.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
30.06.2017 - 01:58
nikarg
Staff
Written by Metren on 30.06.2017 at 00:50

Evanescence are neither metal nor goth based on the tracks I've heard, just boring lame alt. rock. Gothic rock would be something like London After Midnight, Bauhaus, early The Cure etc.

Exactly. You can also add The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Joy Division and The Mission
Evanescence are headlining (!) a festival here the day after tomorrow with Gojira, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Epica and others playing before them. How ridiculous is that?
30.06.2017 - 03:14
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by nikarg on 30.06.2017 at 01:58

Exactly. You can also add The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Joy Division and The Mission
Evanescence are headlining (!) a festival here the day after tomorrow with Gojira, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Epica and others playing before them. How ridiculous is that?

well, seeing this kind of stuff is generally based on total album sells, Evanescence who got large radio/TV playtime and coverage do get the cake...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
30.06.2017 - 16:22
nikarg
Staff
Written by Darkside Momo on 30.06.2017 at 03:14

well, seeing this kind of stuff is generally based on total album sells, Evanescence who got large radio/TV playtime and coverage do get the cake...

Yes I understand. Still I can't see how Evanescence can be anything more than the soundtrack for lame vampire films for teenagers like Twilight.
30.06.2017 - 17:32
VIG
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 29.06.2017 at 23:25

Wrong Isis album. Wow.

Ironically that's the only Isis album I've ever heard
30.06.2017 - 17:33
VIG
Account deleted

I was going to write something similar, but it's good I left it to someone else. I couldn't agree more.

Written by nikarg on 30.06.2017 at 01:58

That is so stupid. Even if you could call Evanescence a metal band, I don't think many fans of Gojira, Anathema, etc. would like them.
01.07.2017 - 00:55
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by nikarg on 30.06.2017 at 16:22

Written by Darkside Momo on 30.06.2017 at 03:14

Yes I understand. Still I can't see how Evanescence can be anything more than the soundtrack for lame vampire films for teenagers like Twilight.

neither can I
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.07.2017 - 15:03
Polaria
Written by nikarg on 30.06.2017 at 16:22

Forget Evanescence , the prize for "soundtrack for lame vampire films for teenagers like Twilight" has been claimed since 1999: http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=838&band_id=126&bandname=HIM

Everyone agrees that Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc should occupy top spots but I'd say the spots for the lower half of a top 100 will always be up for discussions, depending on personal tastes. A bit like thrash fans agreeing on the top 3 thrash bands but having endless discussions about which band should hold the 4th spot.

While I am personally OK with Fallen, I don't quite see why and how it ended up in such top 100. There are plenty of better albums out there. I would have put Paradise Lost's Draconian Times or The Gathering's Mandylion instead for example.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
04.07.2017 - 12:13
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Elite
"X shouldn't be on the list"
"Why isn't Y on the list"
"Putting Z on the list is ridiculous"

That's basically what every post in this topic says.
It's just a list, get over it.
04.07.2017 - 16:39
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 04.07.2017 at 12:13

"X shouldn't be on the list"
"Why isn't Y on the list"
"Putting Z on the list is ridiculous"

That's basically what every post in this topic says.
It's just a list, get over it.

I agree, but this Evanescence argument^ is the most relevant though. Maybe that band could have it's own thread where people can argue if they are metal or not
04.07.2017 - 17:39
Paz
Elite
Motörhead's compilation shouldn't be on the list

Why isn't Deathspell Omega on the list

Putting Manowar on the list is ridiculous
04.07.2017 - 17:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Paz on 04.07.2017 at 17:39

Putting Manowar on the list is ridiculous

Actually it isn't since Manowar was extremely influential.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2017 - 17:57
Paz
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.07.2017 at 17:48

For me it is Their music is garbage.
04.07.2017 - 21:43
nikarg
Staff
Written by Paz on 04.07.2017 at 17:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.07.2017 at 17:48

For me it is Their music is garbage.

They did define a whole genre though.. and the fashion statement was quite fun
05.07.2017 - 16:39
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 04.07.2017 at 17:39

Why isn't Deathspell Omega on the list

I fucking know right?
09.07.2017 - 02:15
Hellcult
Love/have some of those albums but there is just waaaay to much USA!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
11.07.2017 - 19:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Hellcult on 09.07.2017 at 02:15

Meh. Country of origin was way down on my critique. Who gives a shit where are they are from? What matters is what they put out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.07.2017 - 00:54
VIG
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 11.07.2017 at 19:59

Who gives a shit where are they are from? What matters is what they put out.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I really usually don't care where a band is from.
23.07.2017 - 05:42
solar
I'm happy they have Faith No More and Godflesh on
23.07.2017 - 06:02
dmiller458
So many obvious landmark albums that are missing: Seven Churches, Pleasure To Kill, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Sad Wings.

I especially disagree with them including No Remorse. The list would have been better served by including Ace Of Spades or No Sleep.
23.07.2017 - 15:17
VIG
Account deleted
Written by dmiller458 on 23.07.2017 at 06:02

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Sad Wings.

Some of my favorite albums! I was looking all over for them when I went through this list
23.07.2017 - 18:30
dmiller458
One the mainstays of rock (and popular music in general) is the solo act. I was mildly surprised at how few solo acts are on that list. Even when a project is essentially one guy, he still uses a band name rather than his own (Bathory, for example).

Speaking of solo acts, there's another glaring omission. Where is Abigail?
23.07.2017 - 19:07
dmiller458
Written by BitterCOld on 11.07.2017 at 19:59

Written by Hellcult on 09.07.2017 at 02:15

Meh. Country of origin was way down on my critique. Who gives a shit where are they are from? What matters is what they put out.

I care. Your location is listed as Paraguay. Are there any kick@$$ metal bands from Paraguay? Because if there are any, I'd like to hear their music.

I think HellCult's point was more that it's an US magazine putting out a list dominated by US acts. There's obviously at least a marginal pro-American bias there. A similar list from NME or Kerrang would bring it's own British and European perspective.
23.07.2017 - 19:26
dmiller458
Written by nikarg on 28.06.2017 at 16:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2017 at 15:43

Groove metal did exist in 1990. It was just called thrash metal back then only years later people someohow started calling it groove and not thrash anymore.

Please name just one more band.

One more band or one more good band? When did White Zombie's debut come out? Was it 89 or 90? I think it was 89.
23.07.2017 - 19:42
dmiller458
Written by Guest on 22.06.2017 at 04:21

Written by M C Vice on 22.06.2017 at 03:24

But way better than I was expecting from the title.

I have to disagree. The more I think about it, this is a really bad list. Here are some random things I personally don't like about it (maybe I should have put this in the original post):

AJFA is ranked too high
there is only one Motorhead album. While I am not the biggest fan, most lists would have a bunch of their albums. However, a lot of them are the same so it doesn't really matter. Also, everyone loves Ace Of Spades, so why isn't that up there???
Jane Doe could be higher
Evanescence? I mean what the fuck? They are barely even metal, more hard rock/rap rock.
Deafheaven is basically the worst blackgaze band. There are better ones out there, like Alcest!
Gojira and DT are kind of low. I can understand Gojira, but DT is a very popular band. I figure Rolling Stone should put more popular things higher.
If you're gonna put a Van Halen album, make it the debut.
Streetcleaner is way too low. It is a revolutionary album, and one of the first industrial metal albums. For me, thats top 40 or 50 material for best albums, but maybe not favorites
Same exact thing with Slaughter Of The Soul
AEnima but no Lateralus?

I got to agree with the other posters. You expected way too much from Rolling Stone. For them to put Sabbath at the top is the height of irony. They've trashed metal practically from day one. You can go on their website and read the reviews ripping Sabbath among others.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/black-sabbath-19700917

The original 1979 edition of the Rolling Stone Record Guide rated every single one of Black Sabbath's albums as worthless. The fact that they come even close to getting it right is surprising given their history.

Written by Guest on 22.06.2017 at 04:21

I sound kind of bad here. But please understand, popular does not always equal good.

The coin has got two sides. Popular doesn't always equal bad. Sometimes even the flavor-of-the-month crowd gets it right.
23.07.2017 - 20:01
dmiller458
Written by Guest on 28.06.2017 at 02:27

Written by nikarg on 28.06.2017 at 02:18

No Painkiller in the top 10, instead there is British Steel, so pretty pointless to read the rest of a lame list. And including a Motorhead compilation album makes it even more embarrassing.

I dislike Painkiller, so I can't relate.

I'm not really scared to say that^, it's just an unpopular opinion.

Their best is SWOD fo' shizzle, no question.

EDIT: I should explain why I dislike Painkiller. It's as if Priest was trying way too hard to sound like the 90s style of "Groove Metal" bands (i. e. Pantera), and ultimately failed at making anything memorable. I kind of see why so many people praise the drumming and vocals and shit, but to me it feels way to forced.

When I think they get it right, it's easy to get into any album. When I think a band misses the mark, I find myself listening over and over and over and over again trying to get my mind wrapped around what they were going for musically.

Enough time passed can give a fresh perspective on things. When's the last time you listened to Painkiller?
24.07.2017 - 00:10
VIG
Account deleted
Written by dmiller458 on 23.07.2017 at 20:01

Enough time passed can give a fresh perspective on things. When's the last time you listened to Painkiller?

When I wrote that. Still didn't like it

Written by dmiller458 on 23.07.2017 at 19:42

I got to agree with the other posters. You expected way too much from Rolling Stone. For them to put Sabbath at the top is the height of irony. They've trashed metal practically from day one. You can go on their website and read the reviews ripping Sabbath among others.

The coin has got two sides. Popular doesn't always equal bad. Sometimes even the flavor-of-the-month crowd gets it right.

Yes, I did expect too much from RS, but I still think they could've done a little better.

And yes, of course I know popular doesn't always equal bad as well.
24.07.2017 - 01:42
dmiller458
Written by Guest on 24.07.2017 at 00:10

Written by dmiller458 on 23.07.2017 at 19:42

And yes, of course I know popular doesn't always equal bad as well.

There was a time when we expected our rock stars to be rock stars. Seems that somewhere around the mid-80s, commercial success became suspect. Lot of the time, the most successful albums, bands, and genres are also the least respected.

If listening to Avenged Sevenfold leads a metal-head to Agalloch, then they've served their purpose.

BTW currently listening to Watching From A Distance. I love British doom. Don't know how this one slipped under my radar. I'm only three songs in and I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy this.
24.07.2017 - 02:50
VIG
Account deleted
Written by dmiller458 on 24.07.2017 at 01:42

BTW currently listening to Watching From A Distance. I love British doom. Don't know how this one slipped under my radar. I'm only three songs in and I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy this.

Funny you listen to my current favorite album!

Yeah, also metal is getting more popular, but I don't think it will ever be as popular as it was in the 80s or 90s.