Metal Storm logo
Rolling Stone's Top 100 Metal Albums of All Time

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.06.2017 - 01:11
So Rolling Stone released a top 100 metal albums of all time list, so I thought I'd put it into topsters and share it here. Thoughts?

I personally don't like it. The ranking is all over the place, and it left out a ton of stuff. I understand more extreme and undergroung releases logically wouldn't make it into a list by Rolling Stone, but I guess I just expected something a little better. It seems like they put no time or thought into the order.
24.07.2017 - 06:21
dmiller458
Written by Guest on 24.07.2017 at 02:50

Written by dmiller458 on 24.07.2017 at 01:42

BTW currently listening to Watching From A Distance. I love British doom. Don't know how this one slipped under my radar. I'm only three songs in and I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy this.

Funny you listen to my all time favorite album!

Yeah, also metal is getting more popular, but I don't think it will ever be as popular as it was in the 80s or 90s.

I saw that it was your favorite when I checked out your profile to see who your favorite bands are. So I decided to give it a listen. Very kick@$$!

And metal has been popular ever since the holy trinity was topping the UK album chart in the 1970s.
25.07.2017 - 20:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by dmiller458 on 23.07.2017 at 19:07

I care. Your location is listed as Paraguay. Are there any kick@$$ metal bands from Paraguay? Because if there are any, I'd like to hear their music.

I think HellCult's point was more that it's an US magazine putting out a list dominated by US acts. There's obviously at least a marginal pro-American bias there. A similar list from NME or Kerrang would bring it's own British and European perspective.

I was in PY for 3 years. Had fun.

Showing up on a Rolling Stone list is no validation of the quality of music. FFS they had Tony Iommi listed as "Tommy Iommi" on their top 100 guitarists for like six or seven years before someone noticed. To expect a rag so clueless to do a deep delve is absurd. There was no "pro-American" bias, it's just a US based rag with marginal knowledge of metal at best so it stands to reason they were more likely to be familiar with more well known music from the US. It's not bias, it's simply what they know.

No one visiting this site should be remotely arsed about what RS has to say about metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.07.2017 - 21:08
dmiller458
Written by BitterCOld on 25.07.2017 at 20:49

Written by dmiller458 on 23.07.2017 at 19:07

I care. Your location is listed as Paraguay. Are there any kick@$$ metal bands from Paraguay? Because if there are any, I'd like to hear their music.

I think HellCult's point was more that it's an US magazine putting out a list dominated by US acts. There's obviously at least a marginal pro-American bias there. A similar list from NME or Kerrang would bring it's own British and European perspective.

I was in PY for 3 years. Had fun.

Showing up on a Rolling Stone list is no validation of the quality of music. FFS they had Tony Iommi listed as "Tommy Iommi" on their top 100 guitarists for like six or seven years before someone noticed. To expect a rag so clueless to do a deep delve is absurd. There was no "pro-American" bias, it's just a US based rag with marginal knowledge of metal at best so it stands to reason they were more likely to be familiar with more well known music from the US. It's not bias, it's simply what they know.

No one visiting this site should be remotely arsed about what RS has to say about metal.

At the risk of repeating myself, are there any kick@$$ metal bands from Paraguay?
25.07.2017 - 21:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by dmiller458 on 25.07.2017 at 21:08

At the risk of repeating myself, are there any kick@$$ metal bands from Paraguay?

Not too much activity that I saw there. Went to a couple shows while there, one reviewed here ... another show i don't recall much of as it was an outdoor "festival" in a park by day prior to me attending a breweries 5th anniversary and drinking enough beer to get half our MS staff drunk.

Ones that stood out, if you like thrash...

Aggressive Squad

Kuazar, who also opened for MegadavE back about 5 years or so ago.

If you dig the power stuff, Mythika or Patriarca come to mind, though not my boat. Most bands weren't terribly active with releases or anything, and I wsn't too plugged in to the scene, only went if a friend was going.

Conveniently a nice big youtube playlist of Metal Paraguayo is here.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.07.2017 - 01:41
dmiller458
Http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-my-10-favorite-metal-albums-w493840
28.07.2017 - 01:42
dmiller458
Rolling Stone has asked several musicians to list their favorite metal albums. Much more interesting than their own list.
28.07.2017 - 04:10
VIG
Account deleted
Written by dmiller458 on 28.07.2017 at 01:42

Much more interesting than their own list.

Yeah, I agree. I liked the idea, except it would be even cooler if some magazine or website or something more (again I hate using this term) underground did that with some more underground artists.
28.07.2017 - 18:17
dmiller458
Sometimes underground is the only term that works. Unfortunately with sales so low, it's blurred the line between the underground and the mainstream.
28.05.2020 - 06:42
TSRodriguez
British Steel above Screaming for Vengeance or Defenders of Faith, or Painkiller, or Stained Class... Paranoid Above Master of Reality or SBS, or Sabotage, or Heaven and Hell, or Mob Rules... They assembled a crap list of records that sold, and some cult classics to disguise the fact that they haven't heard a metal record since 86
To its credit, there are some amazing records there... xD
28.05.2020 - 11:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by TSRodriguez on 28.05.2020 at 06:42

British Steel above Defenders of Faith

Yes.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.05.2020 - 23:12
TSRodriguez
Written by M C Vice on 28.05.2020 at 11:15

Yes.

Defenders is amazingly superior to British Steel, like it is not even fair.
29.01.2021 - 09:13
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
They somehow left out When The Kite String Pops by Acid Bath or an Agalloch album. At least this list has variety of different styles of metal even mentioning Sunbather by Deafheaven, but it's still a flawed list. I do agree that Paranoid should be the number 1. That album pretty much inspired many successful bands and still remains influential to this day.
01.02.2021 - 06:42
sgtrobo

Yes.

laughable. Priest has half a dozen albums better than British Steel
01.02.2021 - 11:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by sgtrobo on 01.02.2021 at 06:42

Yes.

laughable. Priest has half a dozen albums better than British Steel

Imo they have a dozen better than British Steel. But Defenders Of The Faith isn't one of them.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.02.2021 - 15:49
Desha
delicious dish
Utterly uninteresting list for the most part, but ig who am I to talk on that front. Weird to have a (argueably even 2) non-metal album(s) in the top 5 metal albums of all time though.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
22.04.2021 - 15:45
Slipknot_Fan
I don't quite agree with the top 100 either, everyone has their own opinion and their own musical genre, but the top 10 is entirely justified, all the albums in it are really great. Subjective, of course.
14.06.2021 - 08:29
Rexorcist
At least it has Torture Garden. Didn't expect that from Rolling Stone...
14.06.2021 - 08:36
JoHn Doe
I was expecting much worse to be honest
Not bad...
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
24.06.2021 - 20:00
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I'm pleasantly surprised that they at least have one album from Death (Human), although they really should have their whole discography. But why is Powerslave so far down the list? And WHERE is PAINKILLER??!
24.06.2021 - 20:04
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2017 at 17:24

Well, it wasn't public at the time that Rob was gay, but it was clear for most at the time. Well, the female tour manager really dug Rob and tried to score him, even going as far as getting a breast enlargement during the tour just to impress Rob, Rob however fancied Phil a lot, even thoguh Phil was totally oblivious to that fact and Phil tried to score the female tour manager. I saw a bit of it going on backstage when Priest and Pantera and Annihilator (who were the second support on that tour) played in the Netherlands. The RoadRunner label guy, me, and Glenn and KK laughed our asses of because it was all so bleeding Obvious, except for the three involved.

That's hilarious! Thanks for that story!
14.07.2021 - 09:13
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by paulsagar52 on 13.07.2021 at 14:33

I'm pleasantly surprised that they at least have one album from Death (Human), although they really should have their whole discography.

That's word for word what I said. At least we agree on something
14.07.2021 - 23:58
Redel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.06.2021 at 20:00

And WHERE is PAINKILLER??!

The fact that there is no Painkiller among Rolling Stone's Top 100 All-Time Metal list is probably the most hilarious point here.
But there are, of course, other classics missing here. And I am just gonna name a couple of them from the top of my head:
Keeper I and/or II
Arise and Beneath the remains (instead of Chaos AD)
Crimson
Seventh Son
Storm of the light's bane
Symbolic
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Dont break the oath
Lateralus
some Dark Tranquillity
more Opeth than just Blackwater Park
(...)

And then one can easily name at least as many albums that should really not be part of this list.
But I am not going down that alley now.
15.07.2021 - 02:30
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 14.07.2021 at 23:58

there are, of course, other classics missing here. And I am just gonna name a couple of them from the top of my head:
Keeper I and/or II
Arise and Beneath the remains (instead of Chaos AD)
Crimson
Seventh Son
Storm of the light's bane
Symbolic
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Dont break the oath
Lateralus
some Dark Tranquillity
more Opeth than just Blackwater Park

Great albums indeed! Oh, well. At least we true metalheads know what's best!
15.07.2021 - 10:47
Redel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 15.07.2021 at 02:30

At least we true metalheads know what's best!

Actually I think the metalstom Top 200 albums list gives you quite a good idea of what the most relevant metal albums of all time should be.
15.07.2021 - 19:43
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 15.07.2021 at 10:47

Written by F3ynman2000 on 15.07.2021 at 02:30

At least we true metalheads know what's best!

Actually I think the metalstom Top 200 albums list gives you quite a good idea of what the most relevant metal albums of all time should be.

Yeah its helped me a lot in discovering metal masterpieces like Symbolic, Crimson, Storm of the Light's Bane, and At the Heart of Winter
18.07.2021 - 00:17
Redel
Written by Desha on 16.02.2021 at 15:49

Weird to have a (argueably even 2) non-metal album(s) in the top 5 metal albums of all time though.

Which one(s)?
18.07.2021 - 09:30
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Redel on 18.07.2021 at 00:17

Weird to have a (argueably even 2) non-metal album(s) in the top 5 metal albums of all time though.

Which one(s)?

The black sabbath ones. The self titled has like 1 metal song on it, Paranoid has like 3 out of 8? This is nothing against Sabbath, as the genre was only developing, but still
----
18.07.2021 - 10:07
Redel
Written by Desha on 18.07.2021 at 09:30

Written by Redel on 18.07.2021 at 00:17

Which one(s)?

The black sabbath ones. The self titled has like 1 metal song on it, Paranoid has like 3 out of 8? This is nothing against Sabbath, as the genre was only developing, but still

Oh, come on. An all-time top metal list without Sabbath's self-titled debut and Paranoid, really?
Which one is the first metal album chronologically that should be on this list then?
18.07.2021 - 10:46
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Redel on 18.07.2021 at 10:07

Oh, come on. An all-time top metal list without Sabbath's self-titled debut and Paranoid, really?
Which one is the first metal album chronologically that should be on this list then?

Just because you're first doesn't mean you're the best (like come on, top 5? How boring does your taste have to be in metal for these to be in the top 5). Also, again, it's not a metal album. It's a blues rock album with 1 metal song on it.

I dunno which one should be the chronologically first on the list, that takes too much effort to look up rn. It's not like I agree with basically anything on this list, I just found this particular fact funny.
----
18.07.2021 - 11:03
Redel
Written by Desha on 18.07.2021 at 10:46

Written by Redel on 18.07.2021 at 10:07

Just because you're first doesn't mean you're the best (like come on, top 5? How boring does your taste have to be in metal for these to be in the top 5). Also, again, it's not a metal album. It's a blues rock album with 1 metal song on it.

I dunno which one should be the chronologically first on the list, that takes too much effort to look up rn. It's not like I agree with basically anything on this list, I just found this particular fact funny.

Well, I guess if an all-time top metal list is set up somewhere like on Rolling Stone this is not about creating a list of super-unknown gems that hardly anyone has ever heard of, let alone would put on a best of list, so it has to be 'boring' to some degree.

And I would claim it is possibly mandatory to have at least one of the two first Sabbath albums up there on top just because of how influential they were, no matter how many songs on the album can actually be considered metal.