Metal Storm logo
Japanese bonus tracks

12.06.2007 - 12:43
matthioso
The question in this topic is: "Why do the japanes allways get bonus tracks?"
When I look at several cd's (it doesn't matter which band)I see that if you're japanese you allways get extra songs and most of them are very good songs.
Does anyone have an explanation fo this?
----
www.seedofrock.be
12.06.2007 - 12:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by matthioso on 12.06.2007 at 12:43

When I look at several cd's (it doesn't matter which band)I see that if you're japanese you allways get extra songs and most of them are very good songs.

CDs in Japan are extremely expensive and if bonus tracks aren't included cds won't sell in Japan, so companies decide to include one or two bonus tracks exclusively on the Japanese versions so as to assure higher sales in that huge market.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.06.2007 - 14:58
matthioso
oh, so that's how it is then.
Are cd's in japan so expensive? damn and I'm already complaining about the prices here
----
www.seedofrock.be
12.06.2007 - 17:15
Judas
The Amputator
In addition to Marcel's reason, I think it also ensures that die-hard fans from elsewhere fork out extra cash to import the Japanese version of an album, just for those bonus tracks!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
12.06.2007 - 19:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
hooray for double cost import cd's! they get the money twice over for the japanese versions of albums.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.06.2007 - 03:08
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
another question came up to me:
"Bought the album, do I have the right download the japanese extra tracks?"
It think its kinda stupid to pay twice for the same album + shipping just to get one or two extra songs, but at the same time I feel bad when I download them =(
----
13.06.2007 - 03:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I find most of the japanese bonus tracks I find in my albums that I order arent even worth downloading, I find there usually just live bootlegs or really early raw demos that arent exactly top notch tracks.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.06.2007 - 07:56
Uller
ok now that we know why do the japanes allways get bonus tracks, why dont we say what's the best japanese bonus ever? I think that suodeth of kalmah's swampsong is the best bonus, what do you think? what is the best bonus for you?
----
13.06.2007 - 08:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
It kinda pisses me off that the origional version of "Deadworld" by Shadows Fall is a Japanese only release.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.06.2007 - 10:43
matthioso
Written by 4look4rd on 13.06.2007 at 03:08

It think its kinda stupid to pay twice for the same album + shipping just to get one or two extra songs, but at the same time I feel bad when I download them =(

Why should you feel bad about it? I always download bonus tracks and I think the bands themselves realise it would be stupid for us to pay more for just one track imo.
----
www.seedofrock.be
13.06.2007 - 11:34
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 12.06.2007 at 17:15

In addition to Marcel's reason, I think it also ensures that die-hard fans from elsewhere fork out extra cash to import the Japanese version of an album, just for those bonus tracks!

Life was better back in the 80's, it seems. Hardly any bonus tracks in sight, from the exposure I've had so far, though it would help for someone like Marcel to shed light on this, since my knowledge of it all is clearly inferior to someone like his
13.06.2007 - 12:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.06.2007 at 12:47

Written by matthioso on 12.06.2007 at 12:43

CDs in Japan are extremely expensive and if bonus tracks aren't included cds won't sell in Japan, so companies decide to include one or two bonus tracks exclusively on the Japanese versions so as to assure higher sales in that huge market.

Can you explain why all 80tie smetal bands go in tour her ein Japan
Scorpions, Blind Guardian, Accept you know those all bands and almoust ewery live album was recordet in Tokiyo, sometimes its totaly piss me of why not Europe, USA whatever soemhow I think metal in Japan are owerated and Sabbat(Jap) provesit
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2008 - 16:10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Probably because of teh price and becaus japanese fans well, are very die hard fans... But for what I have seen, this applies mostly to Power Metal bands... But maybe I'm wrong
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
10.01.2008 - 20:44
Ascalon
The only reason it's because Japan it's a hughe market itself ... with unique characteristics, so the labels create marketing strategies to win such a big source of money and profits sealing more expensive than in the rest of the world.

So in despite of the price, and all the bonus track, japanese editons ... the japaneses are big fans (it doesn't matter wich band) ... that's why they released live albums recorded there ... thinking in that market ... nothing else ... and then we're able to get it in our contries.

I really envy japanese metalheads XD ... but if I don't know if any other country could have millions of die hard fans with a lot of money buying cd's... the labels would create special editions and stuff.
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
10.01.2008 - 20:57
Woutjinho
Account deleted
I thought in japan a shitload of illegal cds are even found in the cd stores. so therefore they have bonus tracks so that you can see its an official one
but thats just what I heard
11.01.2008 - 11:14
torniojaws
I wish Finland would get bonus tracks too, since CDs cost just as much as they do in Japan. That's why I buy the majority of my CDs from Amazon US and Amazon UK
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
11.01.2008 - 11:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by torniojaws on 11.01.2008 at 11:14

I wish Finland would get bonus tracks too, since CDs cost just as much as they do in Japan. That's why I buy the majority of my CDs from Amazon US and Amazon UK

I saw cd's in the shops in Fionland for the same price as here in The Netherlands, and that is still a lot cheaper than in Japan. The cheapest is to buy cd's straight from the bands or their record companies over the Internet.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2008 - 11:44
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
most the time the bonus tracks are demos or live tracks or songs that were originally left out on the album, so most the time its not really worth it...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
11.01.2008 - 11:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 11.01.2008 at 11:44

most the time the bonus tracks are demos or live tracks or songs that were originally left out on the album, so most the time its not really worth it...

That is certainly true, those songs weren't left out of the cd as released for nothing, the band didn't deem them good enough. And usually those live tracks, are just inferior as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2008 - 11:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i hate japaniese bonuses...because for example songs "Nightquest" or currently "The Escapist" by Nightwish are great, but hard to find and noone knows them while they havent appeared on european releases
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.02.2008 - 01:37
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Lucky Bastards!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
06.02.2008 - 10:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 11.01.2008 at 11:59

i hate japaniese bonuses...because for example songs "Nightquest" or currently "The Escapist" by Nightwish are great, but hard to find and noone knows them while they havent appeared on european releases

I agree IMO we overated japs , to much overated because its not neceserly thay cant produce any good band anyway, let thay lsiten normal CD or forgot , Europe primary, US secendary, others non important , tahn Ausie and Argantina desreve it more
----

apos;'
[image]
13.02.2008 - 05:16
Rekkuza
Written by Doc G. on 13.06.2007 at 03:22

I find most of the japanese bonus tracks I find in my albums that I order arent even worth downloading, I find there usually just live bootlegs or really early raw demos that arent exactly top notch tracks.

That may be true, but there are some worth-it Japanese tracks. Like The Escapist, by Nightwish. It was first released as a bonus track, but when it got leaked on LimeWire, it became one of the most popular songs ever by the band. =) But I do know what you mean.
13.02.2008 - 19:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Wow, if you'll look up a few posts you'll see I said the exact same thing, almost word for word. Great minds think alike
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.02.2008 - 22:33
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Doc G. on 13.02.2008 at 19:59

Wow, if you'll look up a few posts you'll see I said the exact same thing, almost word for word. Great minds think alike

haha i didnt see that - i guess great minds do think alike
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
14.02.2008 - 09:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I agree but demo are good if you cant get original, but moust bonus tracks are for remastered CD, for example Candlemass
Original Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

1. Solitude
2. Demons Gate
3. Crystal Ball
4. Black Stone Wielder
5. Under the Oak
6. A Sorcerer's Pledge
REMASTERED
CD1

1. Solitude
2. Demons Gate
3. Crystal Ball
4. Black Stone Wielder
5. Under the Oak
6. A Sorcerer's Pledge

CD2

1. The Well Of Souls (7:25)
2. Demons Gate (9:03)
3. Crystal Ball (5:18)
4. Solitude (6:26)
5. Bewitched (6:24)
6. A Sorcerer's Pledge (10:53)
7. Black Sabbath Medley (6:12)
----

apos;'
[image]
15.02.2008 - 04:13
Rekkuza
Man I don't want to live in Japan, everything is so overpriced there. Same with Korea. I am sure that if the metal scene is as popular there as it is in Japan, you'd get Korean bonus tracks as well.
16.02.2008 - 18:46
selken
Irreligious
I know a person who imports these discs and sells here, but they are very expensive (>$35)
i only get those if these are double discs or if i really like the album, like DT's damage done.
Otherwise I download them.

Written by 4look4rd on 13.06.2007 at 03:08

Think of it as a punishment for not giving those songs to us.
----
16.02.2008 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Rekkuza on 15.02.2008 at 04:13

Man I don't want to live in Japan, everything is so overpriced there. Same with Korea. I am sure that if the metal scene is as popular there as it is in Japan, you'd get Korean bonus tracks as well.

Thank you I agree we overated Japs so much that I dont know, Japan are overated country, like Korea ehhh some day Japan will disapear in ocean, ocean waes will swallow it
----

apos;'
[image]
16.02.2008 - 22:12
Rekkuza
Yay =) And another things that is overrated is japanese food. It really isn't that good...