Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

19.06.2007 - 23:17
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
20.06.2007 - 00:07
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
practice i would assume.... i knew a chick once that got all heavy into black metal for the trendy period, next thing you knew she took up smoking to make her voice more raspy for vocals.... then, she fucked her throat up and had surgery on it... now she sounds like a 50 year old trucker.... dont do it if you cant do it, and work up slowly, dont try to jump into something like that... ever notice most death metal songs are more instruments and less talking? its because its not an easy task.
20.06.2007 - 01:06
KMR
guy from vader use his midriff to sing - so he doesnt spoil his throat at all.. i dont know much about it, but try to find some stuff on the web.. you'll find somethnig surely.
----
Nothing is sacred.
20.06.2007 - 02:04
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
? im assuming you mean he uses his gut to push out the sound, but you still have to use your vocal chords to produce it, and she tore her vocal chords like shredded beef lol your voice is something you have to be careful of, no song, no band, no music is worth not being able to talk right again... be careful
20.06.2007 - 08:06
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Yeah, you don't have to really use your throat at all, a lot of metalcore bands do that. There's a band in my local area, and their lead singer just sounds like he's trying but not getting anywhere. drinks hotsauce too, he says it helps. Kids these days.
20.06.2007 - 08:07
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
hahaha there's a cross right above an upside down cross.
20.06.2007 - 09:15
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
still gotta use your vocal chords.... just not in the same way 70s and 80s rock bands do... or anyone else in any other genre that actually "sings"... those kinds of vocals are very strenuous to the vocal system... and some forms of it arent very stressful at all... depends on what your trying to do... i wouldnt assume cannibal corpse's vocals are too strenuous... but bands like cradle of filth and dimmu are... so are bands like bleeding through and other bands of their genre... they use a wide range of vocals including harmonics, whaling screams, and low growls... pretty stressful on the vocal chords.
20.06.2007 - 12:06
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Hmm well i do use my gut because otherwise i sound like a pig, but its sustaining it that sucks sometimes i can do it for ages and sometimes not at all and can always do it if not very loud so im stuck.
20.06.2007 - 12:15
NECURATU
Dude, d'you have singing capabilites? Like for normal singing I mean? If not, yer wasting yer time and destroying your throat. If you do, here ya go http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Harsh-Death-Metal-Vocals
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
20.06.2007 - 17:49
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
lol that might be it as well... a common misconception that not being able to actually sing can still leave you the option of singing death metal... since its really not *singing* at all... i dont know much about vocalists, but i do know you will ruin some shit if your voice isnt conditioned for it... as i said, be careful.
20.06.2007 - 20:14
NECURATU
I'm not sure that if you can't sing a C major properly you can grunt it ). And I'm not sure about the throat destroying part either. Back on the 11 of May I saw Suffocation live. Frank Mullen has roared his entrails out for what, 16 years? And yet he still speaks in the same clear new york style English he had on those recordings back from 91. I guess that if it's inside you and you work on it, things will go fine without any drawbacks.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
20.06.2007 - 20:38
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
singers typically have to do a lot of consistent vocal training and conditioning... its like a guitarist keeping up on his chops... if they dont do it, they lose their ability to hold on to their skill... singers have a LOT of conditioning to keep up on... much of it is just physical endurance... being able to hold their breath for long periods of time, bring able to run and do other vardiovascular exercises for extended periods... etc.
20.06.2007 - 23:03
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
I can sing properly or enough to be able to preform in my band, so im ok for that and the wiki-how article i have read and it has helped
22.06.2007 - 00:57
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
I'm no vocalist but I find it easier to growl if my throat isn't dry... try drinking milk or something to kinda make a protective barrier for your throat. Also don't force it, if you start coughing and shit then you're doing something wrong..
keep up the good work though, with practice you'll get it
27.06.2007 - 21:11
graywolf87
Account deleted
drink hot lemonade...or hot water. and breath a lot or you will get a headache trust me...also the mic plays a role put high volume don't force it.
06.07.2007 - 10:22
AlGore
Account deleted
I hear from my vocalist that he growls from his stomach so as he doesn't mess his throat up, also, he says that soda or carbonated liquids mess up his growls. I know that after a show my throat hurts because I try to growl with the songs sometimes. I read that also in a growling tut somewhere.
10.07.2007 - 15:19
Alex Smith
Drink crude eggs and eat sweets... Like me...
10.07.2007 - 17:59
APOHAKC
The Bard
A lot of practise, if you don't know how to release sounds you could fuck yur throat very quickly. I don't know for crude eggs but our vocalist use to drink much milk before rehearsals, also, the point is that your voice come from stomach, not from troath, just try to throw up or something that will work, or drink 10 beers
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.08.2007 - 07:48
Obscure
You don't really need anything else than some not-too-cold water to growl for quite a long time. And a microphone to make it sound baaad. The rest is about knowing how your throat and lungs and stomach work together!

I've watched Melissa Cross' "Zen of Screaming" parts I and II a lil' bit, and with those dvd's she takes one to the wonderful world of voice.
In the first part her main focus is on using your voice well and properly. She talks just a little bit about screaming and growling.
The second part is all about screaming!

This screaming technique she talks about ain't really pure deathgruntgrowlsewerstuff, but I found that it helps one understanding how to make that kind of growls well. The technique is used by a whole load of vocalists, of which most are in America (where Melissa Cross works also). Arch Enemy's Gossow is seen on the dvd, vocalists from Lamb of God, A Life Once Lost, Chimaira.. o.O

She really has something to teach I suppose. I also tried that and now I don't sound that orcish I used to. And I can make pretty long screams too!

And to the point:
How you make the sound isn't the power you PUSH air through your throat, it's how you control your throat and feel the air resonating there.

It rawks. And btw my band's (MedicateD) vocalist has mastered this. Pwng!
01.09.2007 - 21:02
Carrion
Account deleted
I'm taking the growlings quite deep from my lungs, but one friend of mine basically uses only his throat and it gets sick after two or three songs.
10.09.2007 - 19:58
Lord TJ
Some local band in my town is Death Metal, I asked the guy there how he growls. He said when you do it, your stomach should feel solid like your flexing the muscles, you position your throat as if you were going to talk in a low tone of voice. He said Mountain Dew helps best when it comes to carbonation, smoking ciggs, and winterfresh gum also helps I guess. Im working on this but im having trouble sounding like actual Death Metal.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
24.12.2007 - 07:37
Lord TJ
So while doing growls, I get the feeling that I am going to throw up, what am I doing wrong/
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

24.12.2007 - 07:48
Torture Killer
Account deleted
I think you should go for your own vocal style and try not emulate someone else's style, if you don't sound like vader, so what you'll sound like you.

and to get vader like vocals i always have to flex my abs and push down on my diaphram
25.12.2007 - 22:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 24.12.2007 at 07:37

So while doing growls, I get the feeling that I am going to throw up, what am I doing wrong/

personally i find it incredibly easy to growl when i have lots of saliva in the back of my mouth, with absolutely no throwing up or throat pain, but only then. i can't growl properly without it though, and i don't know any methods of gathering the saliva there.
26.12.2007 - 09:15
Lord TJ
Written by Valentin B on 25.12.2007 at 22:32

personally i find it incredibly easy to growl when i have lots of saliva in the back of my mouth, with absolutely no throwing up or throat pain, but only then. i can't growl properly without it though, and i don't know any methods of gathering the saliva there.

I would think theres a different way of doing it than rely on saliva, because look at how long Death Metal vocalists can go for without needing anything.
----

26.12.2007 - 10:02
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i would love to be able to do a great growl, but i know im doing it completely wrong and cant get to sound good at all thats why i play guitar, while somone else sings
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.12.2007 - 21:47
Lord TJ
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 26.12.2007 at 10:02

i would love to be able to do a great growl, but i know im doing it completely wrong and cant get to sound good at all thats why i play guitar, while somone else sings

Try singing and playing at the same time. I find doing growls instead of clean singing while playing is easier for me, at times. I suck at multi-tasking as it is.
----

12.01.2008 - 21:21
B-anger
Account deleted
I don't know so much about this but I use to listen to some DEath Metal Bands, and for me, Angela's Gossow vocals (from Arch Enemy) is really amazing...
08.03.2008 - 07:19
Evil Chip
I would like to growl like mikael akerfeldt of Opeth but its an impossible task.
07.04.2008 - 18:05
Lord TJ
Everyone has their own sound when it comes to growls, not many people think of that.

Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 21:21

I don't know so much about this but I use to listen to some DEath Metal Bands, and for me, Angela's Gossow vocals (from Arch Enemy) is really amazing...

She uses effects in her voice, I can hear it.
----