Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.06.2007 - 23:17
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
18.10.2008 - 23:43
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Lord TJ on 20.09.2008 at 18:55

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2008 at 22:26

By the way did anyone ever tried to use some electronic stuff for help in growl?

I played around with it one time, made some prank calls lol. But I would never use it when practicing, playing live, or recording. It would make me sound fake.

Though theres some effects I can understand and be cool with, like echoing, or voice duplicating. People know its not real, but its so obvious its not like your trying to hide it.

Well i made some homemade distortion and voice mutator to gain some effects....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.10.2008 - 00:31
Lord TJ
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2008 at 23:43

Um ok.

Do you use it because you cant growl, or do you use it for parts in songs?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
23.10.2008 - 08:26
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Lord TJ on 19.10.2008 at 00:31

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2008 at 23:43

Um ok.

Do you use it because you cant growl, or do you use it for parts in songs?

I use it for parts in songs.I can growl without it
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.11.2008 - 14:08
Dagorwen
HELP!!!! Do you have tips to recover your voice!??I went to Heidenfest and kept stupidly growling, and making growl-battles etc... during some hours, now I even can't speak anymore
(I really tried to use my guts and not my throat, but after 3/4 hours, even with guts-growling I fucked up my voice)
11.11.2008 - 16:41
Lord TJ
<blockquote class=quote><i><span class=dark>Written by <a href=../users/profile.php?user_id=32716>Dagorwen</a> on Today at 07:08</span></i><br><br />
HELP!!!! Do you have tips to recover your voice!??I went to Heidenfest and kept stupidly growling, and making growl-battles etc... during some hours, now I even can't speak anymore<br />
(I really tried to use my guts and not my throat, but after 3/4 hours, even with guts-growling I fucked up my voice)<br />
</blockquote><br />
Drink soothing warm things. Like tea, or honey, and give your throat rest, as in dont try to sound your voice as much as you can.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

12.11.2008 - 21:58
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Dagorwen on 11.11.2008 at 14:08

HELP!!!! Do you have tips to recover your voice!??I went to Heidenfest and kept stupidly growling, and making growl-battles etc... during some hours, now I even can't speak anymore
(I really tried to use my guts and not my throat, but after 3/4 hours, even with guts-growling I fucked up my voice)

You should rest for some time.That means that you shouldnt speak ,and you can forget on growling for a while.The same thing hapend to me last month,and i still cant growl 100%.
This helps:
Take a glass of warm milk an mealt inside a mentol candy(or two).Drink it.It will clan your airways and healp your vocal cords to deal with inffections.
----
13.11.2008 - 16:50
Dagorwen
Thanks both of you! I'm sure I'll be totally sick of honney after that, but it seems necessary to undergo that honney, milk and mentol candy diet ^^
16.11.2008 - 20:32
Lord TJ
Man, I notice in the past that whenever I growl after a cigarette, my growls sounded more...professional. Now that ive quit smoking I rarely get that sound anymore. Like I cant get as deep as I used to as much. Anything I could practice doing differently so I dont sound like a damn tranny?
----

22.11.2008 - 22:18
ANGEL REAPER
You could start drinking.... .
Seriously drinking beer can make your growl better....Just make sure that you don't get drunk
----
24.11.2008 - 12:42
Dagorwen
I finally recover my voice... more powerfull than ever, and by thr way, I discovered that Shagrath's growls, well, are not THAt impressive finally.

@Lord TJ: the problem with cigarette is that youre voice will certainly be deeper, dirtier but you'll not be able to breathe very long and you'll have less lung power, so finally you'll be deeper but less strong.

@Angel Reaper: I can imagine that if you (dead drunk) puke on the pit, you'll be really evil but not very loved by the audience ^^
03.12.2008 - 22:58
Lord TJ
Written by Dagorwen on 24.11.2008 at 12:42

@Lord TJ: the problem with cigarette is that youre voice will certainly be deeper, dirtier but you'll not be able to breathe very long and you'll have less lung power, so finally you'll be deeper but less strong.

@Angel Reaper: I can imagine that if you (dead drunk) puke on the pit, you'll be really evil but not very loved by the audience ^^

Your right about cigs, i wasnt long term though so i didnt really get affected by shortness of breathe and fatigue, although I would never consider smoking as a tip.

The true trick is to not rely on other things for your growl, because when your on stage going away at it, its not like you can pause, smoke a cig, or drink a beer, then carry on.
----

27.12.2008 - 15:42
Yooden
I´ve been growling on rehearsals now for over half a year, some rehearsals were better than others.
i found my throat getting drier and drier during this fall, probably cause of winter coming up.
I tried singing with bubbelgum, worked pretty well except it was hard growling without spitting it out
Last week I tried milk and it felt wonderful. No dryness at all, I felt relaxed and I think I could keep notes longer too.

Though, a friend told me that he had read that milk is bad for the vocal-chords, could this be true?
It doesn´t seem plausable cause it felt really good.
Oh, this is not the growling-with-milk teqnique, the milk is there only to moisten the throat.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
04.01.2009 - 22:52
ANGEL REAPER
Well man I drink milk since I had born and that newer made me any problems.
I get rid of dryness by drinking little fluid (of any kind) on each pause when i can .
But I'm afraid that only worming up before show and daily based growl practice can make you get rid of dryness.....And can make your's growl more melodic .

By the way I finally start growl in my full capacity,with full melodic voice.Also my screaming has developed into screaming of Alexi Laiho.Finally i'm ready for the show!!!!!!
----
05.01.2009 - 02:13
Svartlock
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 22.11.2008 at 22:18

You could start drinking.... .
Seriously drinking beer can make your growl better....Just make sure that you don't get drunk

Wooh, that could explains why I can't do my high pitched growl anymore.
But exactly how does beer make you growl better?
05.01.2009 - 02:25
Svartlock
Written by Dagorwen on 17.10.2008 at 23:16

Written by Svartlock on 13.10.2008 at 18:33

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2008 at 22:26

By the way did anyone ever tried to use some electronic stuff for help in growl?

Can I hear your growl? Do you have any videos at youtube or something?

I hazd like to, but I'm not in az bzand T_T (zand hzave az fucked up computer) sqo it'qs pzarticulzarly sqtupid to growxl wxithout muqsic! ZAnd I don't knowx hoxw to find insqtrumentzal verqsionqs of my fzavorite sqongqs.
(if sqomebody knoxw wxhere you cazn found inqstrumentazl for DB, AZrch Enemy aznd CoB...)

You could get the program Guitar Pro, with that you can hear the song without any vocals, but it doesn't have the same sound of the guitars like the real song.
You could just play the real song and growl, just make sure the real song isn't louder than you growl.
09.01.2009 - 22:51
ANGEL REAPER
Its not just a beer......
Drinking of any fluid can help you to solve the problem with the dryness and reduce the pain in throat.
However beer's bitter taste helps your throat to produce more spit,and that reduces vocal cords's tension,also reducing the pain and "upgrade" your growl.
Same effect produce milk also,but I don't think that you will be serious,and ''evil" if you drink it while you are on stage ,in front of the people.
For an hour show one can of can of beer is more than enough......:drunk:
----
30.01.2009 - 09:14
Yooden
Do you agree with singing with milk or do you agree with what my friend has read?

Anyway, I´ve rehearsed with milk everytime since that post and it hasn´t effected my voice in any negative way.
I can only recommend it.

Though, I have only tried it with growling vocals with very little clean voice parts, don´t know how it works yet for heavy metal-vocals.
Can´t imagine it wouldn´t work as well on clean vox.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
30.01.2009 - 09:54
Woerode
Account deleted
Liquid assistance is a terrible habit.
If your not ready to go any time or place, then you'v got some praticing to do.
31.01.2009 - 09:34
Yooden
Of course I can sing without liquids, though to do that during long periods of time would be a terrible strain on the throat.
I can sing regular metal-vocals at anytime without much warmup, for growling/screaming I need at least 10-15 minutes of warm-up.
Otherwhise my voice won´t last more than an hour and I won´t reach the notes I strive for.

Woerode: how many vocalists do you know that sing without liquids? (I don´t think I´ve ever seen that live)
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
31.01.2009 - 11:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 30.01.2009 at 09:54

Liquid assistance is a terrible habit.
If your not ready to go any time or place, then you'v got some praticing to do.

Most professionals use liquids before shows....I don't think I could consider Jeff Walker or Frank Mullen or George Fischer ametures....
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.02.2009 - 08:36
ANGEL REAPER
Yes dont use any liquids before,or during the show (growl or clean vocals) and after 5-6 hour and half shows you'll end up in hospital.
You must to drink something ,even water.....

@ Woerode: Look closely bands shows :there is always some bottle behind the musicians, somewhere in the dark........
----
05.02.2009 - 16:07
Lord TJ
Yes, it is a VERY good idea to always have something to wet your throat, just think of how your body works as you growl, especially your throat. Try waking up in the morning when you slept with your mouth open, then growl.

I usually tend to growl better with as music plays, or maybe its just my own consciousness?
----

03.03.2009 - 21:37
ANGEL REAPER
By the way its very good idea to analyze the way how professionals growl.I mean to carefully listen how particular sounds,voice or such are being produced.....And I don't mean on studio tracks ,which are often electronically processed, but live recordings,DVDs,live shows ....
----
05.03.2009 - 12:45
Yooden
Yeah, i agree, also live recordings show often that the singers are not metal-gods but quite more mortal than you think.
Could be a little daunting to emulate a album-recording and you loose confidence while a live-recording many times show that
you can keep up with many professionals.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
20.04.2009 - 19:21
Svartlock
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.01.2009 at 22:51

Drinking of any fluid can help you to solve the problem with the dryness and reduce the pain in throat.
However beer's bitter taste helps your throat to produce more spit,and that reduces vocal cords's tension,also reducing the pain and "upgrade" your growl.
Same effect produce milk also,but I don't think that you will be serious,and ''evil" if you drink it while you are on stage ,in front of the people.

Ah, I think im gonna drink one beer and some milk before growling then. Haha, drunk after one beer.^^
24.04.2009 - 01:50
GULCH OF ROT
Written by Svartlock on 20.04.2009 at 19:21

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.01.2009 at 22:51

Ah, I think im gonna drink one beer and some milk before growling then. Haha, drunk after one beer.^^

you should look up mellisa cross the zen of screaming dvd was very helpful to me. it showed me how to control air flow in my gut better thus less wear and tear on the vocal cords them selfs. have a listen my song dolphin kill i recorded the vocals after drinking 3 beers smoking one ciggerete http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
24.04.2009 - 22:01
ANGEL REAPER
You still using ciggarets and 3 cans of beer.... !? You dont need that shit in your system......just practice more..
----
24.04.2009 - 23:24
GULCH OF ROT
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 24.04.2009 at 22:01

You still using ciggarets and 3 cans of beer.... !? You dont need that shit in your system......just practice more..

my band practice nights double as my drink beer and hang out with my friends night. I'm not drinking because i need to i am doing it cause i want 2. when we do single track recording i will most likely do it sober
----

27.04.2009 - 11:52
ANGEL REAPER
Ok thats good ,but i meant on ciggs in generaly
----
27.04.2009 - 20:41
GULCH OF ROT
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 27.04.2009 at 11:52

Ok thats good ,but i meant on ciggs in generaly

Yeah the cigs are no good
----