Metal Storm logo
Best Ronnie James Dio Work?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 30.06.2007 - 23:55
Ronnie James Dio, the man who gave birth to 'The Devil Horns' the eternal symbol for metal & rock n roll alike, and often credited for the invention of power metal, has participated in 3 major bands aswell as his own solo work. There is Elf, his first major band which recorded 3 albums, then was recruited by Ritchie Blackmore to join Rainbow, with whom he recorded 3 studio albums and a live album. The Black Sabbath, he recorded 3 studio albums (and is currently working on something with Geezer, Iommi and Appice under the name Heaven And Hell), and in 1983 started his solo project spanning 10 albums. Which Dio band/project/thingy do you like best?

For my vote I chose Rainbow, Ritchie Blackmore is an amazing guitarist and it goes really well with Dios voice, I havnt heard enough Elf to judge, and some Dio solo albums can be a little dry and forgettable. So it was down to Rainbow & Sabbath, but since Long Live Rock N Roll is my favorite album of all time I have to go with Rainbow.

Poll

Which Band/Solo Work Was Dio Best with?

Dio (Solo)
Rainbow
Black Sabbath (AKA Heaven And Hell)
Elf

Total votes: 147
17.06.2008 - 19:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
imo it's the first 3 rainbow albums. dio + blackmore = pwnage
07.02.2009 - 08:43
IronBlackZepp
Well that is hard to choose because most of his work is either good or great. Elf was ok, but his work with Rainbow was some of the best in his career. The three albums with him are phenominal. Then he went to Sabbath where he helped make some more of the best albums ever. Heaven and Hell is just to good. Then their is the work he did with his own band, Dio. I would say the first two were the best they had to offer. So I guess his best work would be his stuff with Rainbow and Sabbath, and the first 2 Dio album.
07.02.2009 - 12:20
Hamird
Lieutenant
I like his solo career, because I liked his Holy Diver more than any other of his works.. Also I like his other works, especially Heaven n' Hell (Black Sabbath).
07.02.2009 - 13:14
ForeverDarkWoods
The solo career is the best. Just recently got into his music though.. I think Ozzy was way more fitting for Black Sabbath.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
22.05.2009 - 13:52
ponderer
He'll never top Holy Diver, but the stuff with Ritchie Blackmore was pretty good.
23.05.2009 - 19:38
TheOwl
Really difficult to choose.... Dio's music has always been a great influence (and guidance) to me. I am so glad I will see him again on stage for the 4th time............

keep in mind he is 67 years old today!!!!!!!!!!
24.05.2009 - 12:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by TheOwl on 23.05.2009 at 19:38

keep in mind he is 67 years old today!!!!!!!!!!

Somehwo I belive his mussican careat be longer how The Rolling Stones and , he's oldest mussican who lives metal, are metal and dress metal, others well suit dont counts metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.05.2009 - 05:44
soadbyob
Account deleted
Ozzy is the singer of black sabbath, but dio playing with heaven and hell is fuckin brialliance, its iommis guitar work and dios voice/lyrics- how much more metal can you get??
27.09.2009 - 13:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Voted for Dio...best his songs are from "Holy Diver" album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.09.2009 - 02:32
ToMegaTherion
This is actually a really hard choice, because his solo work was brilliant, but Rainbow Rising remains one of my favorite albums of all.
Therefore my vote will go with Rainbow as it says his "Best"
Elf are good too, and his Sabbath work was very good, Sabbath became a different band with Dio there, and again with Heaven and Hell.
28.09.2009 - 02:57
Derwood
I like Dio's solo work the best, though both Rainbow and Heaven and Hell are also up their in my books. Sacred Heart is one of the most underrated metal albums ever.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
28.09.2009 - 13:22
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well actually for me, Holy Diver kicked any of his other work (easily)
this album rocks and I like it.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.02.2010 - 10:27
stocktonrocks
For me its a song, for me his best vocal performance is Stargazer when he was in Rainbow. He sings his butt off on this song and to this day I get so pumped when I hear it!! Get well soon Ronnie!!
12.02.2010 - 05:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Hmm...well, it's a tossup between the solo work and Rainbow. I guess in the end I choose him as a solo artist. I love Rainbow, and they have put up some awsome shit. But rainbow also just doesn't always seem to have the same vocal power that he tends to have as a solo artist. It allowed him to spread his wings a little wider, if you know what I mean. And he offered more material. So dio-solo gets my vote.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.05.2010 - 01:58
NortheRnmost
All three Rainbow albums are stellar, especially 1st and 3rd, and Blackmore is a very unigue guitarist and grandfather of speed metal and neoclassical etc. I still enjoyed more Campbell's aggressive and flashy work on Dio solo albums. Holy Diver is classic but Last in Line and Sacred Heart are even better. RJD's vocals were top notch throughout the career, and his solo band, though had many line-up changes, still maintained many great players after Campbell left (Robertson, Goldy), and Lock Up The Wolves and Dream Evil are criminally overlooked albums. RJD in Black Sabbath always seemed like a replacement, and didn't fit as well into Iommi's gloomy music than into true rock'n'roll that was Rainbow and Dio. My vote: Dio solo.
20.05.2010 - 05:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Derwood on 28.09.2009 at 02:57
Sacred Heart is one of the most underrated metal albums ever.

Hmm, I think Dream Evil is more underrated, and probably 2 or 3 of his later albums are as well. (Like Master Of The Moon and Strange Highways). 3 fillers during the 2nd half of Sacred Heart means I dont rate it as highly as some of his other underrated albums. But I do think Sacred Heart is a better album than most people make it out to be. I think people dont like it, or rate it, because its the lightest album that Dio ever made. In fact, ''Rock N' Roll Children'' is probably the most overtly poppy song they ever did, yet I also class it as one of Dio's best songs. I also love the much derided ''Hungry For Heaven''. Ronnie's voice could take centre stage, because of the lighter edge to the material, and it probably shined brighter than it ever did on that album's best moments. xD

As for the original question, I cant really give a proper answer, as I havent heard ELF, and I also havent heard all the stuff he did with Rainbow. (Although what I have heard has been awesome!) I think his solo stuff is more patchy than what he did with Sabbath/Heaven & Hell, but he made far more albums with Dio, so its a bit unfair to compare. Dehumanizer is my fave album that Ronnie sang on though. <3
20.05.2010 - 08:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.05.2010 at 05:11

As for the original question, I cant really give a proper answer, as I havent heard ELF, and I also havent heard all the stuff he did with Rainbow. (Although what I have heard has been awesome!) I think his solo stuff is more patchy than what he did with Sabbath/Heaven & Hell, but he made far more albums with Dio, so its a bit unfair to compare. Dehumanizer is my fave album that Ronnie sang on though. <3

imo Rainbow is much better than what i've heard of his solo work(though my fav song with him on vocals continues to be Holy Diver of course). those 3 albums are absolutely incredible.
20.05.2010 - 12:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 20.05.2010 at 08:34
imo Rainbow is much better than what i've heard of his solo work(though my fav song with him on vocals continues to be Holy Diver of course). those 3 albums are absolutely incredible.

Well...the Rainbow stuff I have heard with Dio has all been amazing! "Kill The King", "Man On The Silver Mountain", "Stargazer" and my absolute fave "Gates Of Babylon" are just awesome songs, which are equally as good as the very best songs with his own band, and Sabbath. I still havent checked out any full Rainbow albums though, which considering how long Ive been a Dio fan is very weird I guess. lol
20.05.2010 - 12:20
Mikyz
I'm more of a Rainbow fan even though I still find his solo work to be of stellar quality, Rainbow's Rising is just too good.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
20.05.2010 - 18:58
Edmund Fogg
No arguments there,Ronnie was more Epic,more powerfull and more <in control> during his solo years.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
29.06.2011 - 13:51
Aristarchos
Dio for Holy Diver album
29.06.2011 - 14:14
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 28.09.2009 at 13:22

Well actually for me, Holy Diver kicked any of his other work (easily)
this album rocks and I like it.

Same here, plus its the only work i ever heard by Dio.
28.07.2011 - 04:25
Steelreaper
While some of the Dio albums are awesome. Black Sabbath - Heaven and hell is so epic. Every song is Great. Plus I saw H&H live 3 times before he died and those song were very special to me.
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
28.07.2011 - 10:33
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Nothing beats Holy Diver for me. It's nice to know that somebody predicted the arrival of C. Ronaldo more than 20 years in advance. Dio, what a guy!
03.12.2012 - 06:21
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Rainbow is awesome, you can't go wrong with songs like Stargazer, Rainbow Eyes, or Gates of Babylon!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.12.2012 - 10:14
Jimbul2
Account deleted
I think that he was on his best on his own, but I still think highly of his others works. \m/
10.12.2012 - 03:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Voted for Elf, on consistency.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.11.2014 - 22:49
_deepblack
I Vote for Dio solo project because of tracks like the Holy Diver and Rainbow in the dark and etc but the track Heaven And Hell with Black Sabbath is the best and most memorable track for me from Dio
31.12.2014 - 21:39
His most memorable period is the solo one. Holy Diver is such a classic. However, Cildren of the Sea, Heaven and Hell, Neon Knights are probably my favourites so I'll go for Sabbath.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.01.2015 - 02:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
His best work is easily with Rainbow. His solo career has too many downs and well I am of the opinion he never fit in with Black Sabbath, although Mob Rules is quite a good album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996