550 users:
Band: Nile
Album: Ithyphallic
Style: Brutal death metal, Technical death metal
Release date: July 2007

01. What Can Be Safely Written
02. As He Creates So He Destroys
03. Ithyphallic
04. Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water
05. Eat Of The Dead
06. Laying Fire Upon Apep
07. The Essential Salts
08. The Infinity Of Stone
09. The Language Of The Shadows
10. Even The Gods Must Die
11. As He Creates So He Destroys [instrumental version] [Digipak bonus]
12. Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water [instrumental version] [Digipak bonus]

It seems everyone is praising this new Nile release, am I hearing a different album? "Ithyphallic" is far from being good, on the contrary it lacks the aggressive personality that the band used to have in their older days, it just seems that "someone" told the band -Ok dudes, if you don't do what WE say we won't sign you, now start writing for us or else your album won't be released?oh yeah, you're no longer with Relapse so make it more melodic, now write cheesy riffs, uh I like it now, YES!!! This is what we were looking for exactly.

So it's more o less like that, some flat riffs, a lot of melodious fruity loops and incredibly good vocals (they still got that one at least). The rest of the album becomes a little boring because of its repetitiveness, the songwriting seems like it's copying itself over and over again and even though the brutal leftovers are amazing it seems like the band jammed all the hostility in those small spaces of music, pressure bleeds all over the place to be honest.

The musicianship however is brilliant, Nile has insane musicians indeed and they do their best to show it off, I just wish they had a better structure to execute but life's a bitch. Another good thing is the production, it's a little dry and you'll have to be orginizing your volume each time you toss this album to your player, but the clarity of the instruments and vocals is just amazing to say the least.

So anyway, the album is not THAT bad I guess?it's just that Nile was ten times better than this, their last album had at least 4 epic songs and this one has none; Ithyphallic it's just a collection of what we could see as either leftovers of past albums or as something the label desperately wanted to achieve not caring for the band at all?just like what happened with Malevolent Creation

For fans and collectors only!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 09.08.2007

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 322 users
11.08.2007 - 19:37
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I was always hoping theyd get a damn review up here for the new Nile album and here it is... a 6.9 I dont see how someone can be so harsh on this album, ive almost always agreed with Herzebeth's reviews but this album is not that bad, its neither their best album by any means, but there is some progression, and it doesnt deserve this shitty score. And in fact, being more melodic was their choice, i read an interview in metal maniacs magazine, and Dallas and Karl say that they wanted to be more expressive on this album and that they would play wtv feels good at the time. Dont make people believe that nuclear blast pressured unto doing something more accessible, its certainly not Nile thats gonna be told what to do. As Karl says : "we play first of all and most for us, we have to be happy with the music we play, if other people like it also then they can join in and appreciate what we do". Nile aint trying to get a new fanbase or making their music more mainstream, its what you call a natural progression, and this record deserves an 8, 7.5 at the least.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
11.08.2007 - 22:19
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
I know, 6.9 it's too low, you know the last CC album was rated with like an 8 if i remember right. And is not as good as this one IMO. Anyway, if they get more melodic, and you think its because Nuclear Blast's feeding hand they can't be THAT bad, like sellout bad, or even commercial bad. Like that Braindrill review. I totally loved that album, and u gave it like a 7.5. Despite it's greatness. It's a least 8.5
11.08.2007 - 22:45
Rating: 10
Tron
I'd give this a 8.5 maybe...the production is excellent, perhaps better than on any preceding Nile album, but it sounds too much alike the other albums, only slightly more melodic...I just feel that I've heard all this before. Well, maybe after more listens I'll grow to like this more. Only time will tell...
----
After each game, the king and the jester go in the same box.
12.08.2007 - 09:46
Desecrator
It would be interesting to read the comments people wrote had the album been given an 8.5 or a 9, because it seems as though most of the people who say they don't like it are either a) too scared to express their true opinion about the album, because they want to fit in with the rest of the people who "don't like it", or b) they genuinely don't like it........ sorry, but it looks like most of the people here can't even think for themselves, and as such, they need a review to make them believe that, even if they truely do like it, which i think many of you do, i know i do. Also for those of you that don't like the change that Nile has undergone.....get over it, change is enevidible get used to it!
12.08.2007 - 13:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I've heard that argument so many times before.. 'they simply changed, get over it!'. Well, not all change is a good one, and you're not open-minded by just accepting any change blindly. I'm not insulting you, but I have got proof that I didn't like the album before reading this review.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.08.2007 - 23:02
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Agree with both Desecrator and Nervel
12.08.2007 - 23:43
dmuniz
Account deleted
Wait wait wait....newer Nile=cheesy?! Have you listened to the utter cheesiness that is Black Seeds, Amongst the Catacombs, actually everything before Annihilation? I mean, the newer stuff is cheesy too. Nile has always been a cheesy band. But we love them anyway. The 'epic' songs from the previous album were very repetitive and boring, I don't miss them at all. Nile has further honed their sound. Just because they don't sound super cheesy with incredibly silly midi parts that try to sound "middle-eastern" and go NOWHERE (although someone with no knowledge of music eats that stuff up) doesn't mean they've become record label puppets. It means they've become better. I wish metal fans would ditch their "if they don't sound embarrassingly silly anymore then they sold out" mentality.
17.08.2007 - 05:37
After listening to this album and reading other review I'd have to say i disagree with the review.
This album is a 9 in my opinion
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
20.08.2007 - 14:48
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I actually somewhat agree with Herzebeth on this one, even though I'm a huge Nile fan I totally undertstand what you mean, and I completely agree. I was expecting more from Nile, they are amazing musicians, and I mean some of the best I've ever heard in my whole life, but there's just something missing. I think this is the band's worst work so far, not because it's bad, it just offers nothing that the other albums haven't offered before. 7.5
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
28.08.2007 - 13:53
Desertman
Account deleted
wtf wtf wtf????? this is a fucking great album!!!!!!!!!!!
01.10.2007 - 01:48
OminousDeath
Account deleted
This release wasn't that bad, a 7 at best, but still i find myself. anticipating Necrophagist's new release in 2008. its gonna be brutal
17.03.2008 - 22:58
Rating: 8
GodlessOne
Yes this album was awesome leap forward for nile i cant believe it was given just a 6.9... yeah i know it needs at least a 7, but i know thats IMO.

I like the cleaner sound of nile like black seeds of vengeance one of there earlier albums. I feel like Ithyphallic didnt disapoint.
----
Sometimes I stay awake waiting for somthing and realize its time to rest..., - Chase Srozinski
17.03.2008 - 22:58
GodlessOne
Yes this album was awesome leap forward for nile i cant believe it was given just a 6.9... yeah i know it needs at least a 7, but i know thats IMO.

I like the cleaner sound of nile like black seeds of vengeance one of there earlier albums. I feel like Ithyphallic didnt disapoint.
----
Sometimes I stay awake waiting for somthing and realize its time to rest..., - Chase Srozinski
28.03.2008 - 00:18
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I understand where the review is coming from. I miss the memorable epics, Karl's vocals, the booklet description, and a few other things. While the production is clear, it's a little stale. As always, they are at the top of their game in execution, but a little feeling would be much appreciate. However, if this is the worst Nile puts out, then I think we'll all be okay, to say the least. I still enjoy the album though.
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.04.2008 - 17:06
Behemnilephegor
Account deleted
Being a huge Nile fan, I would still have to agree with the review. I can honestly say that , other than "Papyrus..." I cant quite distinctly remember the individual songs. In previous albums Nile had songs that sounded epic and grand, where all you had to do was hear the song once and it was permenantly stuck in your brain. Ithyphallic has tiny portions in songs here and there that break up what seems to be straight through technical monotony. The production may be crisp, but I felt the guitars were some how 'way in the back ground' and difficult to hear; as if the drums were more the focal point in the album.

I cant quite describe what I am trying to say... its like "Lashed", "Sarcophagus", "Unas" or "Sacrifice unto" those type of songs had their own unique flavor and sound. This album seems to run together accept an occasional, much needed riff that breaks it up. I am torn because I love this band, and am glad to have any release from them... but I was a little disappointed. Now I am sounding too hard on them... I am not trying to be a reviewer; it just seems like I know this band fairly well, and I call it as I see it.
24.05.2008 - 16:03
Shaddy
Overall i wouldn't say i love this album, but i don't hate it either. Sure i think Annihilation (for example) is far superior, but there are some pretty unique and awesome tracks here as well. I'd say half of the songs are fillers (but still with a lot of thought and talent crafted into them) and the other half are truly good. I don't agree about the "write sh*t or we won't sign you" part, i think Karl & Co probably wanted to appeal to a wider audience and therefore lowered the brutality bar a bit, but no way did they give up their true sound.
I like enough tracks on this album to consider it a good one at least.
----
November
15.10.2008 - 08:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I think this is a very accurate description of the album, thus good review, man.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.01.2009 - 20:22
Rating: 6
Arcesse Eum
Needs more "CAAAASTTTT DOOOOWWWNNNN THEEEE HERETIIIICCCC"
----
As above, so below.
22.01.2009 - 21:46
joco
It's a very good album!! And I have the pyramid, the 735th of the 1000!:) I'm proud of it:D
NILE!!
06.06.2009 - 22:01
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Good review. This album was indeed a little dissapointing, but that doesn't take out the quality of some tracks like ''As he creates so he destroy'' and ''Essential Salts''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.06.2009 - 22:39
HiF
Written by Uirapuru on 06.06.2009 at 22:01

Good review. This album was indeed a little dissapointing, but that doesn't take out the quality of some tracks like ''As he creates so he destroy'' and ''Essential Salts''.

shit fuck kill yeah
25.06.2009 - 22:48
HiF
On this album Nile is bringing thei songwriting nearer to Behemoth's one
06.08.2009 - 07:45
wormdrink414
Elite
I think Ithyphallic is great. No Annihilation of the Wicked perhaps, but certainly a solid album. In my opinion, post-In Their Darkened Shrines Nile is much better than the pre-In Their Darkened Shrines.
30.08.2009 - 17:40
HATHOR
Great album:) Great Song Names and great artwork!
12.09.2009 - 11:51
blackwreath
A solid 8 imo, there's no bad track on this album although I do usually skip Eat Of The Dead, the opening riff just makes me feel nauseous...

I don't know why ppl are saying it's more melodic than past albums, I didn't get that listening to it at all. A decent album though I wish it sounded clearer.
16.11.2009 - 13:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Itchyphallus... damn what a disappointment. My favorite songs are the two instrumentals :/
13.01.2010 - 11:27
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I am not that much into nile (but i will), only heard annihilation of the wicked and this one. but i dont find this album that bad. it's a nice DM album. it doesnt have many great songs (As he creates so he destroys and The Essentil Salts are the best IMO) but it doesnt have also many bad ones. 8 may be the best rating for me..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
26.03.2010 - 16:02
I_Die_Often
Still one of my favorites!
Love this album!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
03.08.2010 - 06:28
INÆRIS
I think it's a solid album. The musicianship is unreal. George Kollias is my hero.
----
Still Life, Still Death
03.10.2010 - 06:49
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Arcesse Eum on 04.01.2009 at 20:22

Needs more "CAAAASTTTT DOOOOWWWNNNN THEEEE HERETIIIICCCC"

This. A thousand times this.

I listened to this album recently, and it got boring real quick. It's nowhere near as brutal as their early work.

Hits total: 10364 | This month: 31