03. A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh
04. Drown In Ashes
05. Os Abysmi Vel Daath
06. Obscured
07. Domain Of Decay
08. Ain Elohim
09. Triptych: Totengott
10. Triptych: Synagoga Satanae
11. Triptych: Winter (Requiem, Chapter Three: Finale)

The Emperor HAS Returned

It would probably not be too much of an over-generalization to say that Celtic Frost fans are divided into two groups. The first group is made up of extreme metal fans who see the Swiss band's seminal records like Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion as the major influence and inspiration on the black, death and doom metal genres that they definitely and unquestionably are. The second group consists of the people who love Celtic Frost for their fearless avant-garde attitude that manifested itself on Into The Pandemonium, when the band incorporated gothic, operatic and even industrial elements into their abrasive metal style.

Monotheist, Celtic Frost's comeback album after 16 years of absence, will definitely appeal much more to the afore-mentioned second group. Although the band still knows how to make ultra-heavy extreme metal, the emphasis this time around is not on dynamic metal riffing but rather on creating a very dark and oppressive ambience. Thus, I interpret Monotheist as being a take onto the currently blossoming ambient metal scene and it makes Celtic Frost part of the 'front-line' again - they're not just old-timers rehashing ideas. Seen in this light, Monotheist is a very impressive achievement indeed. The band either smashes the senses with music as heavy as To Mega Therion ("Ain Eliohim", "Progeny", "Os Abysmi Vel Daath") or soothes them with somber and beautiful pieces ("Obscured", "Drown In Ashes", "Incantation Against You"). Finally, they conjure up "Synagoga Satanae", some of the most menacing 14 minutes I have ever heard. Everything here is droning, dark and absolutely overwhelming - a real experience to behold.

With all this said, I am not sure how the first group of fans that I described in the beginning will like this album. If you are expecting unadulterated and underproduced rage, you won't find it here. This album is very heavy but it is a very deliberate and carefully designed kind of heaviness. My advice to those who do not see the greatness of this album at first is to listen to it more and try to appreciate it on its own terms. It's well worth the effort.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 29.05.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 508 users
01.06.2006 - 01:50
Antisocial
Account deleted
Sounds like an awsome album. I have been waiting TOO long for this, its about time they released it,
02.06.2006 - 00:38
Rating: 10
GraMortis
Absolutely brilliant album. Very-very heavy and yet so progressive and innovative. This is in my opinion their greatest release ever. Hail the Swiss metal kings!
----
Fruere hora.
22.06.2006 - 17:23
GODlike ?
An album total blast. A masterpiece. I'm still recovering

Celtic Frost
27.06.2006 - 21:17
Rating: 7
Megadeth88
This album kicks soo much ass. I'm glad these came back after a long hiatus.
27.06.2006 - 21:40
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
'Finally, they conjure up "Synagoga Satanae", some of the most menacing 14 minutes I have ever heard.'

No kidding - that track is creepy enough to almost be worth the price of the CD in and of itself. I pity the neighborhood kids out after dark and brave enough to approach my door next halloween... I'll have that track on repeat all night long.

I thought it was a strong album that touched on their roots, but also showed their menacing artistic side. I'd give it a 8.5.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.07.2006 - 04:47
Mordack
Account deleted
Monotheist blows me away. Fucking amazing.
28.07.2006 - 21:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
One of the biggest disappointments for me this year, nothing new, nothing spectacular, just didn't do a thing to me. But it is better than what I think is the most overrated album ever, INto The Pandemonium.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2006 - 17:08
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I'm divided. It's a different album, it's not every day that we get something like this, and you can hear that it has a lot of depth and interesting concepts and ideas, but it only works for me occasionally. I'm giving it a 7.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
18.08.2006 - 08:32
Valar
IndianSteel
After about 5 listens I can say this album is just outstanding.....
Progeny is a Killer Opener and then tracks like Obsured give a doomer ende to this album.....
Killer Stuff really enjoyed all tracks....!

THE EMPEROR HAS RETURNED !!!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
18.08.2006 - 16:37
Stoemp
Great album. I don't know the earlier work from Celtic Frost, but this album kicks ass! Great dark music.
06.09.2006 - 23:42
Mordack
Account deleted
Oh god, why have you forsaken me?

Killer album.
26.11.2006 - 12:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
SInce I first heard this album in July I have listened to it over and over again and have finally come to the conclusion that Monotheist is singlehandedly THE MOST OVERRATED album of the year (maybe of the current century even) it is even more overrated than the new Iron Maiden.

Sorry, that I say this but I think it is about time people woke up to reality.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2006 - 14:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Could you explain why you think so Marcel? I still believe Monotheist is absolutely one of the best albums of the year. I gave my reasons in the review, now lets hear yours
27.11.2006 - 03:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I didn't like this album at first, but it's slowly growing on me. I felt that it was too slow, but the slower paced songs are actually quite chilling and interesting. Progeny is my favorite song on this album because it's faster, catchier and more thrashy than the other tracks.
06.12.2006 - 20:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
You all have no idea how much I want this album! Since it's christmas soon, I hope to get it from my parents. If not, I promise that I'll go out and buy the album the next day after!
----
14.01.2007 - 02:21
Rating: 9
Rupert
I think Marcel got a bit intimidated by your challenge, Jupitreas!
06.03.2007 - 06:07
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
good review! I'll listen to this album properly once again...
----
that which shines without names and forms...
01.04.2007 - 10:00
Mental_Orgasm
Account deleted
I loved this cd, easily one of their best in my opinion
15.04.2007 - 20:10
Kurzag
Account deleted
Holy fuck! I´ve only listen to some songs from this album on their myspace, and what i have heard is just amazing.
15.04.2007 - 23:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
hail to Monotheist this is one hell of an album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.05.2007 - 03:07
Yumos Muraticus
Account deleted
As a fan of early Celtic Frost more than 'Into the Pandemonium' I can say the heavy material on this album is more than worthy of the price, while the less heavy stuff grows on you with time.
23.09.2007 - 15:21
DigitalGrind
Account deleted
These Switzerland guys sure can kick some ass,definetly fits in top 5 albums in 2006.
23.09.2007 - 17:31
Infurnace
I must say that this album turned out to be great. It's a bit heavier than I thought it would be, but that's positive, and the softer stuff is also very good, like "Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh".
19.03.2008 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2006 at 12:39

SInce I first heard this album in July I have listened to it over and over again and have finally come to the conclusion that Monotheist is singlehandedly THE MOST OVERRATED album of the year (maybe of the current century even) it is even more overrated than the new Iron Maiden.

Sorry, that I say this but I think it is about time people woke up to reality.

Quoting myself nearly 1.5 years later I'll have to admit that I was totally wrong at the time. This album has grown so immensely on me that I find it actually a very good enjoyable album and certainly the best in Celtic Frost's entire repertoire (okay, that isn't too difficult for me, but still...) I would even dare to say that nowadays this album is underrated (yes, you read it right, kid, underrated and NOT overrated like I stated earlier) Maybe when I listened to it in 2006 all those times I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for something like this.

Concerning your rating of 9.4, well, I still believe that is too high, ut I would rate it a 8.8 now.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2008 - 05:03
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Pretty good album. I can't help but feel it gets off on the wrong leg though with the opening track. From track 4-9 is what makes this album (this includes the bonus track temple opf depression, honestly my favourite track off the album for now), which consists of outright dark and cold music (which is JUST what I've been looking for these days). Synogague Satanica just feels too indirect for my taste (as well as maybe even a little too straightforward in message in a cliche kind of way) and the last track is just a lil' too atmospheric (although I can definetly place myself in some abysmal winter wasteland listening too it) Overal a pretty good album which was in my zone of interest at the time. 8/10
03.09.2008 - 01:16
Yuma Murata
Account deleted
I would give it a 7. If this was ten songs like 'Ain Elohim', 'Progeny' and 'Domain of Decay' I would rate it higher, but Celtic Frost's quieter stuff has never done it for me and that goes for this album too.
03.09.2008 - 01:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
It's probably one of my all time favourites! BTW Marcel, I've said it before but I'm saying it again: I'm gonna murder you! "Into the Pandemonium" is some of the most artistic music I've heard... oh, and it rules!
----
03.09.2008 - 10:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Warman on 03.09.2008 at 01:39

"Into the Pandemonium" is some of the most artistic music I've heard...

Damn, then you haven't heard much music
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2008 - 13:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.09.2008 at 10:43

Written by Warman on 03.09.2008 at 01:39

"Into the Pandemonium" is some of the most artistic music I've heard...

Damn, then you haven't heard much music

Dieeee Marcel!!!
----
20.10.2008 - 15:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
This album is great. To me a bit better than any other Celtic Frost release. Although I don't listen to that style I realy enjoyed this album. I like the feeling it creates. Fear...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 19918 | This month: 56