Metal Storm logo
Best Male Power Metal Singer

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.10.2007 - 04:52
I know there are many other great singers out there, these are some of mine. If there's someone else please list them, I'm always willing to find new bands to love! Please feel free to say what you like, dislike about anything, everyone has an opinion.

Poll

Which singer would you want fronting your Power Metal band?

Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Roy Khan (Kamelot)
Michael Kiske (Helloween)
Other (Please Specify)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth/Pyramaze)
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire)
DC Cooper (Silent Force)

Total votes: 409
04.04.2011 - 07:36
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Now now, don't be jealous because I "step" all over your attempts at humour.
04.04.2011 - 08:05
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 04.04.2011 at 07:36

Neva, my foot in your bum is funny to everyone but you! :O

Besides on the interwebz, this joke is like me saying....I have a..........nevermind.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.04.2011 - 11:09
theFIST
Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 08:05

Besides on the interwebz, this joke is like me saying....I have a..........nevermind.

Prove that you don"t!!!!!!!!!
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
05.04.2011 - 15:23
Zenzero
Zenzero
I'm the only one who don't like Hansi Kursch?
I think Kiske was (maybe is still) the best........
05.04.2011 - 17:41
Yasmine
Written by theFIST on 05.04.2011 at 11:09

Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 08:05

Prove that you don"t!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy...wrong person to ask that to. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.04.2011 - 22:29
MetalSpider
Of that list....Roy Khan! He's the best one on the list without a doubt...followed closely by Matt Barlow (imo of course).

Russell Allen and Jorn Lande are 2 of my favourites as well! I know Allen is more of a progressive metal singer and Lande a heavy metal singer rather than power metal, but I think these vocalists are both worth mentioning! Regardless of what genre they're in.

I like Hansi's voice but I find him overrated.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
06.04.2011 - 10:42
Yasmine
Written by MetalSpider on 05.04.2011 at 22:29

Of that list....Roy Khan! He's the best one on the list without a doubt...followed closely by Matt Barlow (imo of course).

Russell Allen and Jorn Lande are 2 of my favourites as well! I know Allen is more of a progressive metal singer and Lande a heavy metal singer rather than power metal, but I think these vocalists are both worth mentioning! Regardless of what genre they're in.

Allen has a really strong voice, Urban Breed too as I mentioned before.
----
06.04.2011 - 17:10
MetalSpider
Written by Yasmine on 06.04.2011 at 10:42

Written by MetalSpider on 05.04.2011 at 22:29

Allen has a really strong voice, Urban Breed too as I mentioned before.

I remember listening to Urban Breed when he was in Bloodbound. He does have a great voice indeed. And now he's in Pyramaze, which is awesome.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
27.04.2011 - 01:35
AngelCryGr
Obviously Kiske! The man is a legend and influenced all the others. Just listen to his performance of Keeper of The 7 Keys song. Kiske was only 20 years old back then. What else to say? Now with Avantasia he bring tears in our eyes again...
----
Life's too short to cry
long enough to try
27.04.2011 - 02:26
Yasmine
Nah several people with that sorta voice already existed, Tate, Midnight, Cyriis, Adams, Arch, and Olivia. I will still argue for the more technical singers over any sort of inlfuence or popularity. :p
----
30.04.2011 - 10:37
AngelCryGr
Written by Yasmine on 27.04.2011 at 02:26

Nah several people with that sorta voice already existed, Tate, Midnight, Cyriis, Adams, Arch, and Olivia. I will still argue for the more technical singers over any sort of inlfuence or popularity. :p

I was talking for power metal singers. These names has nothing to do with power metal and before them they existed Ian Gillan, Ronnie James Dio, Halford, Freddie Mercury with that kind of voice...

Thought I wouldn't say that Midnight, Cyriis existed before Kiske (he was before Helloween in Ill Prophecy). They were all different though. Midnight and Arch was more Tate like singing.
Maybe one from thεse names you mention who I could compare him with is Tate or Dickinson but it wouldn't be a power metal singer poll.
----
Life's too short to cry
long enough to try
30.04.2011 - 11:03
Yasmine
Midnight doesn't sound ANYTHING like Tate, and yes they all influenced power metal to a certain degree, Conklin too, as I had forgotten about him. Midnight, Tate, Arch, being in a bands closest to power metal. Early prog does have most of the same elements as power metal, including vocals. So what we have here is you excluding obvious power metal influences to make your favorite "the first".
----
30.04.2011 - 12:11
AngelCryGr
Written by Yasmine on 30.04.2011 at 11:03

Midnight doesn't sound ANYTHING like Tate, and yes they all influenced power metal to a certain degree, Conklin too, as I had forgotten about him. Midnight, Tate, Arch, being in a bands closest to power metal. Early prog does have most of the same elements as power metal, including vocals. So what we have here is you excluding obvious power metal influences to make your favorite "the first".

I don't agree to that. IMO Early Tate has influenced a lot Midnight.

I am not excluding these singers but I can't see any relation to power metal singing. If you want to search for power metal influences go further. Dio with Rainbow, Dickinson with Iron Maiden (and early Samson) and I guess Halford's (don't need to mension where) whole career was the foremost influence to any kind of singing. If you ask also these names you marked here they would tell you the same.
They way of the european power metal singing is based on these three men and not only power metal. We are not trying to find the first one here who hitted a high pitched note because believe me we would go before metal ever existed. It's all rock and roll at the end.
----
Life's too short to cry
long enough to try
01.05.2011 - 01:53
Yasmine
Well no that's true, but the fact of the matter is many power metal singers sing no different than prog singers like tate and Midnight and Arch.
----
01.05.2011 - 03:04
Doom Trooper
There are a lot of great singers listed but my vote goes to other. Fred Marshall from Futures End is my personal favorite.
01.05.2011 - 05:02
Yasmine
Written by Doom Trooper on 01.05.2011 at 03:04

There are a lot of great singers listed but my vote goes to other. Fred Marshall from Futures End is my personal favorite.

Certainly an interesting choice! I do wonder what makes you pick him as their are a few other choices like him, Urban Breed being a strong one. He has a good voice though, strong vibrato and projection, but not quite the range of many others and sense of harmony gets a little out there, but maybe that's why it's interesting. lol
----
01.05.2011 - 21:55
Yasmine
Written by Irritable Ted on 01.05.2011 at 20:23

Written by Zenzero on 05.04.2011 at 15:23

I'm the only one who don't like Hansi Kursch?

No you are not, I've never really liked his voice either. I've nothing against him, just never been my thing. I've tried to listen to their new album as everybody raves about it, but it is always his voice that stops me from enjoying it.

Out of the germans I prefer Andi Deris or Piet Sielck, but my favourite power metal singer has disappeared from the scene now. Roy Khan.

Same, 2 of my favorite singers are gone, Khan and Midnight, Rick of Steel Prophet is still around, and Cryriis who hits A6 like a boss is back.....for now. lol Oh and I have said it but I do not like Hansi voice one bit.
----
02.05.2011 - 01:15
Doom Trooper
Written by Yasmine on 01.05.2011 at 05:02

Written by Doom Trooper on 01.05.2011 at 03:04

Certainly an interesting choice! I do wonder what makes you pick him as their are a few other choices like him, Urban Breed being a strong one. He has a good voice though, strong vibrato and projection, but not quite the range of many others and sense of harmony gets a little out there, but maybe that's why it's interesting. lol

I am not all that big of a Power Metal fan so my credibility might be a little off. I mostly like some of the bigger names like Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Outworld, Manticora and a few odd balls like Futures End, Edgend, Myrath, etc. Futures End to me are the total package. Not only are they my favorite but they are the band that broke me into Power Metal. I feel like Marshalls voice is very aggressive yet very melodic without taking anything away from the instrumentations. A lot of singers are too over the top and almost over power their own songs. I feel like even though Marshall can let out a big Bruce Dickenson roar he will hold back in favor of the music. He knows when and how to really unleash his full potential. When you listen to their cover of Powerslave you really get to hear his voice shine. Another thing that comes into play is his lyrical content. Most PM singers have all these fantasy themes within their lyrics. Marshall is more relatable almost making it easier for casual listening. This all just personal preference really.
02.05.2011 - 01:44
Yasmine
I like a lot of power and prog, listen to it more than black or death, etc. Manticora is one of the ones I really like to but more for the interesting guitar themes.
----
20.05.2011 - 16:02
Razorback
Matt Barlow ,his voice is insane!
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
09.06.2011 - 18:54
Joakim Broden anyone?
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
13.06.2011 - 07:42
Grum
Roy Khan and Hansi come close but... Daniel Heiman from Lost Horizon. His vocals on Highlander are amazing, or maybe ridiculous
27.06.2011 - 16:48
Yohan
Doubt he is the best, but Randy from Rabihem have an awesome voice, I love his ending on Vanity.
----
tombstone.fi
12.07.2011 - 01:40
Metal_4Ever
IMO Roy Khan is definitely the best PM singer in a simple word..
I can't compare between him and another one he has a great voice I can't explain how epic, emotional, romantic, Violent, .. his voice
16.07.2011 - 00:29
Berserk
From this list, Michale Kiske. IMO there's isn't many vocalists better then him in the world...

Timo Kotipleto is my favorite power metal vocalist of all time though
----
Fear the Old Blood
16.07.2011 - 05:34
GroundZero
In no order

Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween): He has an amazing voice, but he doesn't like Heavy-Metal and only appears in some metal projects when being invited. What a waste of voice.

Ralph Scheepers (Primal Fear): an underrated vocalist as I can see, he isn't part of the options.

Jorn Lande (Masterplan)

Roy Khan (ex-Kamelot): What a shame, he left Kamelot.

Andi Deris (Helloween)

Kai Hansen (ex-Helloween, Gamma Ray)

There are many others, in fact, to be a power metal band vocalist, without a doubt, a good voice is needed.
23.07.2011 - 16:18
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Cheese battle, then. Among these, I'll choose Roy Khan. He's the least . . . Cheesy.
23.07.2011 - 23:30
Enissa
I would go with Roy Khan...my fav voice in Metal in general, well at least Male voice. He has such a deep, dark yet beautiful and inspiring voice!
such a pity he left kamelot....:(
24.07.2011 - 03:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Enissa on 23.07.2011 at 23:30

I would go with Roy Khan...my fav voice in Metal in general, well at least Male voice. He has such a deep, dark yet beautiful and inspiring voice!
such a pity he left kamelot....:(

completely agree on everything you said
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.08.2011 - 12:10
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Man you're forgetting 3 of the best:

Russell Allen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn4jXZko5E
Jorn Lande: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcpbRTUewbQ

and
DANIEL HEIMAN: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVjcD_LPukw