Metal Storm logo
Pioneers Of Power Metal

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 01.11.2007 - 19:59
Im doing a senior project on metal, can somebody help me out and tell me who the pioneers of power metal are? Thanks!
16.07.2008 - 09:16
Hrothdane
Written by Bad English on 15.07.2008 at 00:04

Written by Gordon Freeman on 14.07.2008 at 23:15

Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 11:08

Manm no it is not power because firts 2 is not power but speed if you say its power ytou even dont know what is power and nothing about speed

Power or speed, you can't deny the enormous influence Follow the Blind would have on later generations of power metal bands. Which is kind of the whole point of the thread. Not genre discussion/arguement.

I did not say it did not influence but that is speed metal nor power, it even cant be 80tie spower

Whether battalions of fear and follow the blind are technically classified as speed or power is NOT RELEVANT TO THIS DISCUSSION. This discussion is about where the elements of power metal arose and what influenced them. Calling those albums speed metal does not change the fact that they had some elements of power metal and helped to shape the genre. Hansi points out Freddie Mercury as an influence, and I think we can agree that Queen was not a power metal band...
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
16.07.2008 - 12:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know 100% about what is this isscusion but Im pissed o people call CoB fin melod death and BG early power
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.07.2008 - 19:47
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 16.07.2008 at 12:09

I know 100% about what is this isscusion but Im pissed o people call CoB fin melod death and BG early power

Breathe...count to 10...calm the heck down!!
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
06.04.2009 - 06:17
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I think the musical ideas were long being used before the bands you guys are talking about.
Helloween and X Japan certainly brought the typical sound into vogue, but I think you need to look back a bit further than that.

Get the tracks 'Stargazer' and 'Light In The Black' from Rainbow's Rising album. Stargazer features all the typical kinds of themes and 'out there' prog riffing that would come to be used in epic slower power ballads. Light In The Black features the first instance of double bass drumming in the typical 'power pattern' with powerful lyrics on the top and solos bouncing between keys and guitar. These are the first two occurrences of modern power metal and I challenge anyone else to quote me with an earlier example.
06.04.2009 - 07:12
Hrothdane
Written by Shadowcross on 06.04.2009 at 06:17

I think the musical ideas were long being used before the bands you guys are talking about.
Helloween and X Japan certainly brought the typical sound into vogue, but I think you need to look back a bit further than that.

Get the tracks 'Stargazer' and 'Light In The Black' from Rainbow's Rising album. Stargazer features all the typical kinds of themes and 'out there' prog riffing that would come to be used in epic slower power ballads. Light In The Black features the first instance of double bass drumming in the typical 'power pattern' with powerful lyrics on the top and solos bouncing between keys and guitar. These are the first two occurrences of modern power metal and I challenge anyone else to quote me with an earlier example.

Ogre Battle - Queen

The lyrics are pure fantasy, the chorus is catchy, the tempo is quick, Brian May has a solo, and the vocals are sung by a skilled singer who uses high-pitched melodic screams (as opposed to shrieking). The song obviously is much more rock than metal, and the power metal sound is not as developed as in your examples, but the point is that it was 2 years earlier
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
06.04.2009 - 10:42
Eeric
Account deleted
This discussion is kinda ridicculous, cos everybody has a little different style how they categorized music in to different genres. But to this topic I'd like to say just one name, Kai Hansen
06.04.2009 - 14:41
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Hrothdane on 06.04.2009 at 07:12

Written by Shadowcross on 06.04.2009 at 06:17

Ogre Battle - Queen

The lyrics are pure fantasy, the chorus is catchy, the tempo is quick, Brian May has a solo, and the vocals are sung by a skilled singer who uses high-pitched melodic screams (as opposed to shrieking). The song obviously is much more rock than metal, and the power metal sound is not as developed as in your examples, but the point is that it was 2 years earlier

Haha i haven't heard that song! And good point. I'll check it out.
06.04.2009 - 14:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
X Japan wtf they are tupical Euripain band rip of, not pionears they hear some Helloween, Gamma Ray whatever and try coppy , I never had likede Jap metal, specely X Japan, and overated Sabbat and pother rip ofs, people say x band 100% coppy y but japanish bands are masters to do it, nobody cant do it better
----

apos;'
[image]
06.04.2009 - 15:06
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.04.2009 at 14:45

X Japan wtf they are tupical Euripain band rip of, not pionears they hear some Helloween, Gamma Ray whatever and try coppy , I never had likede Jap metal, specely X Japan, and overated Sabbat and pother rip ofs, people say x band 100% coppy y but japanish bands are masters to do it, nobody cant do it better

That's what stratovarius did too
06.04.2009 - 17:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Pioneers of power metal? hmm... Helloween(general sound), Blind Guardian(for playing some kind of melodic thrash metal which then evolved into their 90s style), Manowar(epic lyrical themes and "metal" attitude, also they have some pretty fast songs with double bass drumming), Iron Maiden and the rest of the NWOBHM bands (guitar melodies), Judas Priest to some extent(for pioneering the aggressive double guitar sound, playing slightly faster stuff and harmonized guitar melodies f.e. the song Exciter could be seen as a precursor of the 80s speed/power metal scene)
06.04.2009 - 17:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 15:06

Stratovaris only in 90's because Fight Night is werry good album
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2009 - 00:17
Angel Of Mercy
Helloween deffo!
----
Your time will come.
10.11.2009 - 20:20
IronAngel
It would help if people actually tagged their suggestions with years, to give a better idea.

But I definetely second the Rainbow suggestion above: Stargazer is very much "power metal" in a sense. Queen was surely a huge influence as well, on the vocal side of things.

All in all, though, music takes influences from all that has come before. Trying to find "where it all began" is as pointless as tracing a beginning for history. You can only make out faint outlines and the process of evolution. The lines are blurred, and there's no beginning or end. Keep that in mind.

Instead of asking uneducated, passionate and unfortunately blind fans such as on MetalStorm, I would suggest the following method: look up the first bands that you would classify as "power metal" and find out what bands where the players' greatest influences at the time. Either ask them personally, or find old interviews. That's bound to give you the best answer.
14.11.2009 - 03:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think power metal as it is known as today, was definitely started by Helloween. However, songs like "Exciter" by Judas Priest, and "Fast As A Shark" by Accept, were definitely blueprints for the genre. Helloween just took the marriage of speed and melody, and did it in a way that was very unique at the time they started, and it was hugely influential.
14.11.2009 - 15:25
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 06.04.2009 at 17:05

Pioneers of power metal? hmm... Helloween(general sound), Blind Guardian(for playing some kind of melodic thrash metal which then evolved into their 90s style), Manowar(epic lyrical themes and "metal" attitude, also they have some pretty fast songs with double bass drumming), Iron Maiden and the rest of the NWOBHM bands (guitar melodies), Judas Priest to some extent(for pioneering the aggressive double guitar sound, playing slightly faster stuff and harmonized guitar melodies f.e. the song Exciter could be seen as a precursor of the 80s speed/power metal scene)

What he said

Actually I think most of us can agree on Helloween being the "fathers" or what ever you will call it, but power metal has evolved a lot since then and has borrowed/stolen from a lot of other genres as Valentin mentions
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.02.2010 - 14:47
MeTalRea|istiK
Helloween!!
19.02.2010 - 21:01
JÄY
Metal slave
Anyone mention dio, here?...i think hes pretty important....someone said heaven and hell by sabbath..yup, that too
20.02.2010 - 06:20
MeTalRea|istiK
Yeah!!dio is one of the pioneer!!n blackmore is one of the guitarist responsible..
15.04.2010 - 16:43
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Bad English on 06.04.2009 at 17:58

Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 15:06

Stratovaris only in 90's because Fight Night is werry good album

Fright Night is one of Stratovarius' worst albums.

X Japan is mid-eighties too, just like Helloween - a 1985 debut. They formed in 1982. Their music is very different to Helloween and very original. The power songs like 'I'll Kill You' and 'Kurenai' were written before they could have possibly heard Helloween. They did power ballads which Helloween didn't do at all, and used other musical influences from genres like psychedelic and jazz.
They sold a LOT more albums than Helloween - 21 million and not just in Japan but in South America and Europe too.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
15.04.2010 - 17:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How can yous ay its worts albums if it wa smore HM souynd not cheesy flower sound what band turns on in mid 90's non of those cheasey flower cant even be lile classics, but this can this is defenetly best Strato album what they have relised even there much much better albums in HM genre, but non of Strato flower albums can be so good
----

apos;'
[image]
17.04.2010 - 08:04
Zuzuz0r
Written by Shadowcross on 15.04.2010 at 16:43

X Japan is mid-eighties too, just like Helloween - a 1985 debut. They formed in 1982. Their music is very different to Helloween and very original. The power songs like 'I'll Kill You' and 'Kurenai' were written before they could have possibly heard Helloween. They did power ballads which Helloween didn't do at all, and used other musical influences from genres like psychedelic and jazz.

X Japan were more a mixture of genres rather than only being a purely Power Metal band(I bet they didn't even knew that the genre will be called like that), even being Power Metal their base sound. And well, yeah, I don't know how could they be rip off of bands like Helloween and Gamma Ray(this one came several years before X Japan did). I think both bands(X Japan and Helloween) used similar influences(though X Japan using more influences outside metal) from bands they heard before(possibly both listened to almost the same bands).

Quote:
They sold a LOT more albums than Helloween - 21 million and not just in Japan but in South America and Europe too.

Strange that they've sold that number in South America(Latin America), since it is harder to find albums from them here than other bands.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
17.04.2010 - 09:26
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Zuzuz0r on 17.04.2010 at 08:04

Written by Shadowcross on 15.04.2010 at 16:43

X Japan were more a mixture of genres rather than only being a purely Power Metal band(I bet they didn't even knew that the genre will be called like that), even being Power Metal their base sound. And well, yeah, I don't know how could they be rip off of bands like Helloween and Gamma Ray(this one came several years before X Japan did). I think both bands(X Japan and Helloween) used similar influences(though X Japan using more influences outside metal) from bands they heard before(possibly both listened to almost the same bands).

Quote:

Strange that they've sold that number in South America(Latin America), since it is harder to find albums from them here than other bands.

Yeah they probably didn't realise it would turn out to be known as 'power metal', i'd have to agree there but the basis of their music is definitely power metal. There's more power songs than anything else.

Same here bro - in Australia there's no reprints either..
Helloween you can find vinyls locally and they are cheap.. X Japan there's no stock of CDs or DVDs and the best option is to download or get both pirated from Asia as buying their CDs online is the most expensive of any metal band ive ever seen. At least $90 for some!
17.04.2010 - 16:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
X Japan didnt inflianced non of europian bands but Europeian and American did influence x japan so how band can be pionier? Piniers of Jap power yes asian power yes, but not power
----

apos;'
[image]
26.04.2010 - 17:59
nehrodwarf
Pioneers....
about peoples... let's see: kai hansen, timmo kotipelto, michael weickert, hansi kürsch, luca turilli(not so old, but too important)

about bands: gamma-ray, rhapsody, blind guardian, helloween, stratovarius.

But the main founder of power metal was kai hansen
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
27.04.2010 - 14:21
shisha
Rainbow-inventors of the idea called Power Metal. Try Gates of Babylon, Stargazer, Kill the King, and more. These songs have all elements (melodic, powerful,etc.) which will bee used and further developed by Helloween and others.
Try also one underrated piece of art that also have elements of pow: Accept-Russian Roulette from 1986. One of the best pieces in entire metal music.
13.05.2010 - 15:38
Angel Of Mercy
Kai hansen started power metal. BLind Gaurdian started out as helloween obsessed kids who kinda played the same sort of stuff. Then Power metal caught on
----
Your time will come.
13.05.2010 - 20:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 13.05.2010 at 15:38

Kai hansen started power metal. BLind Gaurdian started out as helloween obsessed kids who kinda played the same sort of stuff. Then Power metal caught on

Blind Guardian play speed metal, where is power into firts 2 albums, they turn in power
----

apos;'
[image]
14.05.2010 - 00:47
Angel Of Mercy
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2010 at 20:38

Written by Angel Of Mercy on 13.05.2010 at 15:38

Blind Guardian play speed metal, where is power into firts 2 albums, they turn in power

The power in the Blind gaurdian stuff is the lyrics, you know the typical lord of the rings type stuff and the covers. They were influenced by Helloween right?
----
Your time will come.
14.05.2010 - 00:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BG muisc was speed, lyrics dont describes genre, if BM band what thay sometimes do use Lord of Rings lyric they eb power?

U dunno who influenced who Blind Guardian is from Krefeld form in 1984 Helloween Hamburg 1983 and Walls Of Jericho and Keeper albums was more speed to, lil blind Guardian style but remeber Running Wild Hamburg 1976 they realise many demos before so and many HM bands active before like Mass influenced guys
Fargo, Gravestone, Faithful Breath, yes Scorpions, Accept,
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2010 - 13:46
Angel Of Mercy
I did not understand a word of that.
----
Your time will come.