03. Frustrated Again
04. Rules Go Out The Window
05. Groove Family Cyco
06. Die Lika Pig
07. Do What I Tell Ya!
08. Cousin Randy
09. Why?
10. Made It

What Blink-182 would sound like if they were good.

Infectious Grooves can be described as crazy, but in a good way. It sounds as though they had fun on this album, and I did too while listening to it. The riffs easily move you and carry you away into their world. The riffs are typical of alternative metal, but here Infectious Grooves brings a little extra, which clearly makes a difference. It's one of the best band names I think; they announce what their music is going to sound like.

The album is very funky, and the sometimes discordant melodies remind me from time to time of the eponymous album by Mr. Bungle. This is both a good and a bad thing, because when comparing an album with another much more famous and iconic one, you have to live up to it, and although the album manages to recreate the atmosphere of Mr. Bungle, it is far from equaling it.

Vocalist Mike Muir (known mainly for being in the band Suicidal Tendencies) is very close in style to the vocals of Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle). If Mike Muir wasn't inspired by the latter vocalist here, I don't understand anything anymore.

Now we can talk about the album's main asset, which in my opinion is the bass. In addition to being very prominent, it is incredibly funky; you can imagine the bassist's fingers dancing on the strings like us to the music. Apart from this particular atmosphere, Groove Family Cyco manages to keep the rhythm from start to finish; the album never runs out of steam and it's quite enjoyable.

However, it has its shortcomings. Personally, I find that I quickly get tired of this genre, but also this particular style; although the album holds up throughout, it has a little difficulty in keeping its sound fresh. Fortunately, it has not been drawn out in length (at the same time, albums of the genre are never very long, for this same reason in my opinion).

After all, Infectious Grooves offers us an album that changes a little without being the pioneer of the style. The experience is refreshing, not revolutionary, but the little extra that changes my appreciation of the album is really about the bass. If you want to change a little from the usual death metal or black metal, let yourself be tempted by Groove Family Cyco; the album is worth a look.

Written by Ch'ti | 21.03.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 19 users
21.03.2024 - 19:19
Vellichor
Well I didn’t think I’d be fighting anyone today but then I read your intro
21.03.2024 - 19:48
A Real Mönkey
I mean, they're bad, but they're not Green Day bad.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
22.03.2024 - 22:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
First 2 comments are bad takes lol. Love these guys and I also love Green Day @Mönkey. Fucking sue me, harers
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.03.2024 - 10:16
JoHn Doe
Written by A Real Mönkey on 21.03.2024 at 19:48

Why compare them with Green Day though?!

First sentence of the review is wrong indeed.

Infectious Grroves is fun, often silly, but then you have some competent musicians that make things interesting, entertaining. The band deserves to be heard for Robert's bass playing alone.

----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
23.03.2024 - 13:57
A Real Mönkey
Written by JoHn Doe on 23.03.2024 at 10:16

I got no love for that 90s/2000s pop pseudo punk poppycock.

Infectious Grooves is definitely something I should check out though. Been putting it off too long.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
23.03.2024 - 14:48
JoHn Doe
Written by A Real Mönkey on 23.03.2024 at 13:57

Written by JoHn Doe on 23.03.2024 at 10:16

I got no love for that 90s/2000s pop pseudo punk poppycock.

I agree, I was puzzled by the pairing of those two, very apples and oranges comparison.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 317 | This month: 93