So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff

Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 4 of 6

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Boxcar Willy - 01.03.2012 at 22:01
Machine head has a following of 12 year olds, and fanboys.

It isn't a surprise really, the biggest bands are going to win, regardless of the quality of the album.
Unhealer - 01.03.2012 at 22:10
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

November's Doom in the melodeth category,Symphony X in the prog,Machine Head in the thrash........I'm not saying where to place them all,but is Iconoclast more of a prog album then Deconstruction? Is Mastodon's The Hunter a true sludge album?

I believe Deconstruction belongs in avant-garde, that was correct.
And SyX is prog even if they have this heavy metal approach now, I which other category would you put it?

And Mastodon is in a fine line between prog and sludge, but I really don't mind them being in sludge.

Written by DraconionDevil on 01.03.2012 at 21:50

How on Earth is Machine Head ahead of Vektor on the best thrash of the year? Machine Head is barely thrash. I wouldn't even classify them as thrash in the true sense of the word. They're a pretty worthless band if you ask me.

I won't question MH's quality as a band. But yeah, my opinion (and of a lot of users, for what I've seen) is that they don't fit thrash at all.
And their current style on their MS profile is "Progressive Thrash".
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 23:25
Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 18:49

Talking about Aphotic, in my opinion their sound is clearly doom. I don't hear much symphonic parts, comparing to Surtur Rising or New World Shadows.

So you are saying that melodeath bands must have symphonic elements in thir music?
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 23:25
Written by Unhealer on 01.03.2012 at 22:10

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

I believe Deconstruction belongs in avant-garde, that was correct.

Written by DraconionDevil on 01.03.2012 at 21:50

And their current style on their MS profile is "Progressive Thrash".

Mastodon and Symphony X are only in those categories because of prior albums.Mastodon hasn't made a sludge album since "Blood Mountain".I would put Iconoclast in the Heavy/Melodic Metal category as well as Iced Earth.Amorphis belongs in the Folk metal spot.......o.k I'm getting a headache !!!
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 23:33
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

No offence dude, none at all believe me... but that part of your comment kind of takes away any credibility I would give to your comment.
It's like those activist running on the streets wanting change of some sort but without any suggestions.

Also... Please note that the category is sludge/stoner. I personally hear a good chunk of stoner in Mastodon's latest that doesn't take a lot to hear. There's no sludge, true... But the basic stoner sound is pretty much there to be heard.
There are some albums there that are mostly stoner too.... Because the catecory is for both stoner and sludge bands.

I don't see any problems with the other bands for example. It's really obvious that Novembers Doom has changed style over the years (just like you said Mastodon did!)...
Unhealer - 01.03.2012 at 23:34
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:25

Nah, those albums have tendencies to those styles but I believe the essence of the band is still there.

Probably Crack The Skye wasn't sludge at all, but The Hunter has a decent amount of sludge.
And SyX is heavy/melodic now as it was power metal in the past, but the prog factor rules over both.

And I have zero knowlegde on Amorphis, so that one shall pass.
theFIST - 01.03.2012 at 23:47
How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 23:51
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 23:33

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

It's not where to place these bands that was the original argument,it was to keep the categories ,but also have a overall favorite,since lots of these bands cross genres anyway,it would be nice to know what album stood out,Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?
jsoft - 01.03.2012 at 23:54
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 23:25

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 18:49

Not exactly. Melodeath bands, if they want, could incorpore any kind of elements in their music.
But to me November's Doom is doom with some other elements. To you, NB probably is a melodeath with doom elements.
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 23:58
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:51
Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?

I personally don't like that idea at all tbh. I wouldn't be able to compare a Black Metal album with a stoner/sluge one, or grindcore with doom metal... And no one wll in general. That will also turn up to be an even more biased category because people would just vote for the band that comes from the genre they like the most. Extreme Metal isn't as popular as the melodic ones so I can't even imagine a doom, grindcore or black album ever winning that category.

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 23:54

Well, matter of different opinions, what can you do about them?
____

PS: Thank you both for not being assholes about it. Makes discussions so much better.
Nunzie 69 - 02.03.2012 at 00:27
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 23:58

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:51
Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 23:54

Well, matter of different opinions, what can you do about them?
____

Example:I went to high school in the late 80's(yeah I'm old ).Metal was in it's prime.Every year an album would come out that stood out amongst all others no matter the category,"Master Of Puppets" one year."Piece Of Mind" before that.Most fans listen to multi genres of Metal anyway so why can't we vote for a favorite and let the the cards lie where they fall.Kind of reminds me of American college football,there is never a true champion.I consider my self mostly a thrash fan but personally Devon Townsend's album topped my list.Just think it would be interesting.
SelfXPlanetOrE - 02.03.2012 at 01:18
Wolves in the Throne Room shouldn't be ahead of Fen. WITTR is from the U.S making them inferior to Fen, who are from Europe. True black metal fans know that the U.S is successful at freedom and obesity, but not always black metal.
Milena - 02.03.2012 at 01:32
Written by SelfXPlanetOrE on 02.03.2012 at 01:18

You're adorable.

Edit: In case you missed the tone of my post, I just reacted instinctively to the extreme stereotype you pulled out of your ass - that is a load of crap, sorry.
Jay M - 02.03.2012 at 01:59
Well I am New here but I just wanted to Congratulate Whitesnake / David Coverdale and the Fine Gents of the Band on winning Your Wonderful "Hard Rock Album of the Year" Award!! ALL the Guys worked Very Hard on this Album, and are Deserving of such an honor! I personally saw them in concert last Summer in my "Neck of the Woods" and it was Indeed a Marvelous Show! As I have told David many time at His official web site. If You haven't had a listen to this album "Forevermore" yet, I Highly suggest You Do! 'Tiz ALL the GREAT things that have made Whitesnake the Band that it is today! 1,000 Thanks to ALL the fine folks who made this possible!
So, in Closing, I say, CHEERS!!! To a Job WELL Done!!
Thanks, I'll Catch Ya Later, Jay.
Moonpie3 - 02.03.2012 at 02:15
AWESOME news about Whitesnake- Forevermore. They really deserve this, they are my favorite!!!:thumbup:
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 02:50
Written by SelfXPlanetOrE on 02.03.2012 at 01:18

you're a hoot just because WITTR are from the US they don't desreve to be voted over Fen please crawl back under you rock and die very slowly. So NOW FUCK OFF AND DIE you intolernt FUCK
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 02:55
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

simple Novembers Doom has nothing to do with doom anymore it is purelt melodeath, Symphony X is still as prog as they used to be and Machine Head is thrash IS thrash albeit modern thrash now you betere go back to your metal 101 classs and learn about subgenres. Mastodon is still sludge albeit totally sludge lught but now Mastodon has mor e stoner in their sound than before so totally stoner/sludge.
Nunzie 69 - 02.03.2012 at 03:14
Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 02:55

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

Learn my subgenres? Metal 101? You don't even know who your talking too.Iconoclast is as prog as Metallica's black album was thrash.Really can it be possible that Symphony X and Leprous are in the same category.To reduce The Hunter as simply a stoner/sludge album is just silly,there are so many elements going on there,can you really say that album is in the same genre as say Fu Manchu.Anyway maybe try proving a point without insulting people.Later
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 03:41
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 03:14

Learn my subgenres? Metal 101? You don't even know who your talking too.

Yes I do, somehone who clearly doesn't know know Novembers Doom moved on from doom to melodic death with some slight doom influences and that Symphony X is still prog and that Mastodom is sludge light mixed in with some slitght stoner and even some slight prog.
Still seems you need to learn about your subgenres and get back to metal 101
Xnoybis - 02.03.2012 at 03:46
Saying USBM is flat out inferior to european BM is akin to saying US beer is flat out inferior to European beer. it's the company line for the know-nothing.

no one region is better or worse. all have mediocre bands, and i imagine all have some awesome acts.

i'm not going to bother listing the US acts here, as it has been done ad nauseam all over this website whenever someone espouses that tired viewpoint.

i will say it is hilarious to read a 15yo talk about "true black metal fans"

troll or moron - not sure which, but full o fail either way.
@gent_-_orange - 02.03.2012 at 04:09
Written by SelfXPlanetOrE on 02.03.2012 at 01:18

I would think a "True Black Metal Fan" wouldn't give a shit where the band was from, As long as the music is good, Or is this just a troll that has went over my head?
NocturnalStalker - 02.03.2012 at 04:51
The results are mostly predictable. Though, I'm a bit surprised that 5 of the albums I voted for won in their respective categories. I expected much less, given that almost half of my votes were write-ins.
I'm especially happy for Chthonic and Vallenfyre. Those bands deserve attention.
And I'm also glad that Opeth's "Heritage" still made it into top 8 in Progressive Metal category despite not being nominated. I don't care that lots of people hate this album. My personal opinion is it's more progressive than most of the albums that got nominated this year.
Evican - 02.03.2012 at 09:09
Strongly disagree with: Devin Townsend - Deconstruction. Unexpect should have won it, or if not at least come in a VERY close second.
JCJen7 - 02.03.2012 at 09:09
Written by NocturnalStalker on 02.03.2012 at 04:51

I guess musically so. But, stylistically, it was nearly the opposite of progressive, considering it pushed nearly no boundaries, and was a slightly altered take on music bands were making 40 years ago. I still really enjoyed it though.
Daniell - 02.03.2012 at 09:41
Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

I'd have to agree with the second part of this sentence
Milena - 02.03.2012 at 10:37
Written by JCJen7 on 02.03.2012 at 09:09

There comes the difference between progressive music and prog music... in the root of prog music is this so called progression, but if you play something equal to any prog bands from 40 years ago, you're still a progressive rock band... only a really unoriginal one
Milena - 02.03.2012 at 10:41
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 03:14

Anyway maybe try proving a point without insulting people.

In Marcel's defense, he was drunk but still, Symphony X and Leprous are two different kinds of prog. They both have some "outside" genre influences, SyX maybe has more of them, but... it's prog. It just is, primarily, it is prog. Don't know how can't you see it.
Loathera - 02.03.2012 at 11:20
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 00:27

Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 23:58

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:51
Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 23:54

Well, matter of different opinions, what can you do about them?
____

You could just look at the highest voted album of year, In this case, Septic Flesh's "The Great Mass". You could make the arguement that as the highest rated, it is regarded as album of the year.
M C Vice - 02.03.2012 at 11:39
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 12:57

Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 12:04

I'm either an oracle, or the MS Awards are predictable as fuck.
Seriously, the only winner I didn't see coming was Falloch (expected Alrakis or Lantlos).

If you posted a list of your predictions a week ago, your words could have had some merit. Now that the results are in, anyone can claim that they predicted them. And all such claims are equally preposterous.

To balance such claims, let me tell you that I guessed only 3 winners

I did. And apparently had 12 right. I would have had 13, but I thought people didn't like In Flames anymore.
M C Vice - 02.03.2012 at 11:58
Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

i will say it is hilarious to read a 15yo talk about "true black metal fans"

Regon/country doesn't mean shit these days, anyway.
15 years old would mean that he wasn't even born when black metal was "true", right?
Cynic Metalhead - 02.03.2012 at 12:33
Written by DraconionDevil on 01.03.2012 at 21:50

Look disappointments are mutual bor. I was also expecting Vektor/Havok having a winning crown on them(although i voted for Havok!) but Unto the Locust wasn't that bad album too. you temme....How could a mainstream band having a great discography history and then ruling US charts with their latest output couldn't have knocked off?! they bound to getta lot of votes and they did get it. Matter of fact, I think people didn't listen much Thrash in 2011...they just came in that cate. saw the Machine Head names...and baaaam! they went for that. i think that is utter bullshit if this happened. but.... disappointments heavily prevails.
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 12:50
Written by Daniell on 02.03.2012 at 09:41

Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

I'd have to agree with the second part of this sentence

then you clearly have no clue about American beers. I'd dare say currently they are superior to European beers. Of course not talking about Budweiser and such but then again Heineken and Grolsch, Jupiler etc suck just as hard at being beer.
Cynic Metalhead - 02.03.2012 at 12:52
Written by theFIST on 01.03.2012 at 23:47

How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????

Well, i was waiting someone to point a finger on this and yeah they won the Melodic Black category. so what? Strike 1: to be brutally honest they gotta very weak nominees this year, Strike 2: Takasago Army was an exceptional album portraying anger, hate towards bastardized politics and little corruption prevailing in encroaching few songs...made that album very unique and innovative. Chthonic came a long way to give a justice to their fans that they are(upcoming?) real players of Meloblack scene. and wait...Folk? Are you serious?! I think you need to listen that album again. IMO they deserves it. Well, close to that I think it was supposed to be "Thurisaz - The Cimmerian Years" but psst..they landed on 3rd spot..which was to me like Meh. Anyways, Strike 3: it was a great win for Chthonic.
Daniell - 02.03.2012 at 13:30
Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 12:50

You're right. You can call me anything but a beer expert.
Koen Smits - 02.03.2012 at 13:46
Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

Of course.
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 13:50
Written by Koen Smits on 02.03.2012 at 13:46

Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

Of course.

Not true, it's superior to Belgian beers as well
Koen Smits - 02.03.2012 at 13:57
Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 13:50

Written by Koen Smits on 02.03.2012 at 13:46

Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

Of course.

-Sint Bernardus? and I've got another 100 if you want
M C Vice - 02.03.2012 at 14:04
Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 12:50

Written by Daniell on 02.03.2012 at 09:41

Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

I'd have to agree with the second part of this sentence

As a Queenslander, it's my patriotic duty to throw XXXX into the argument. But since I don't drink (a rarity in Australia) I wouldn't know which beer is better. But apparently Bundaberg rum, very much loved over here, is considered crap by international standards.
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 14:13
Written by Koen Smits on 02.03.2012 at 13:57

Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 13:50

Written by Koen Smits on 02.03.2012 at 13:46

Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

Of course.

Not true, it's superior to Belgian beers as well

Ok, off topic:

How can ANY beer from ANY country be superior to:

-Westvleteren
-Gouden Carolus
-Duvel
-Westmalle
-Karmeliet
-Brugge Tripel
-Chimay
-Sint Bernardus? and I've got another 100 if you want

Duvel isn't too great, neither is Gouden Carolus, only the Westmalle tripel of the Westmalles is really good. Brugse Tripel is okayish, Chimay only the blue one, St Bernardus is just watered down Westvleteren. Rochefort 8 is surperior to most of the beers you mentioned.
Tbh there are quite a few good Belgian beers but the Belgian brewries are immensely overrated especially when comparing it to the English breweries, Danish breweries, German breweries, Dutch breweries and especaially the American breweries. Of course I am not talking talking about pilsners/lagers since those are ALL crap and shouldn't be allowed to be called beer
And the Belgian lack extremely in the pale ale in Indian pale ale sector. Which the AMericans are the masters of the world in. Generally Belgian beers are way too sweet just like the Dutch beers are too sweet as well.
Ozman - 02.03.2012 at 14:58
Sorry for the off-topicness.
But arguing over beer is totally comparable to arguing over the award nominees and results hahahaha
theFIST - 02.03.2012 at 15:12
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.03.2012 at 12:52

Written by theFIST on 01.03.2012 at 23:47

How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????

i like it too and i think they deserve winning a category, but for it being this category they should at least have some resemblance to black in the album
yes i am serious about folk, but of course not the european version of folk, as a band from east asia it"s clear that they"ll take their folk
theFIST - 02.03.2012 at 15:28
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 00:27

Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 23:58

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:51
Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?

i"d like the idea of an album of the year too
i agree to the problem of most voting for an album in one of their favourite genres though, but that is similar, maybe even not as bad, to most people voting only for one of their favourite bands in a genre
Mr. Doctor - 02.03.2012 at 15:30
Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 14:58

Sorry for the off-topicness.

I switched beers with bands and countries with genres and it looked like a perfectly normal MS awards argument!
sandisrd - 02.03.2012 at 16:56
Wow such a surprise!, ''MetalStorm'' are bunch of idiots!...
Cynic Metalhead - 02.03.2012 at 17:36
Written by M C Vice on 02.03.2012 at 11:39

Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 12:57

Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 12:04

I'm either an oracle, or the MS Awards are predictable as fuck.

To balance such claims, let me tell you that I guessed only 3 winners

people didn't like In Flames anymore.

I still like them and that's my vote led them to be a clear cut winner.
Mr. Doctor - 02.03.2012 at 17:56
Written by sandisrd on 02.03.2012 at 16:56

Wow such a surprise!, ''MetalStorm'' are bunch of idiots!...

Including the users! Hi idiot!
Cynic Metalhead - 02.03.2012 at 19:33
Written by Mr. Doctor on 02.03.2012 at 17:56

Written by sandisrd on 02.03.2012 at 16:56

Wow such a surprise!, ''MetalStorm'' are bunch of idiots!...

Including the users! Hi idiot!

Mention your "first" name in that users list!............ Hey Idiot!
Frodd - 02.03.2012 at 20:36
I R VERY DISAPPOINT BUT IM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY TIME OR YOURS ARGUING OVER A DONE DEED.
Beckari - 03.03.2012 at 00:10
Written by theFIST on 01.03.2012 at 23:47

How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????

How would Chthonic count as folk? I don't think I'd class them as that..
Beckari - 03.03.2012 at 00:23
Written by Ozman on 02.03.2012 at 13:50

Written by Koen Smits on 02.03.2012 at 13:46

Written by Xnoybis on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

Of course.

Not true, it's superior to Belgian beers as well

US beer = a big mistake
My friend once brought over some cookie belgian beer... never again.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6