Metal Storm logo
NWOBHM

18.02.2008 - 10:37
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
What's to say? Just a topic for recommendation's and discussions on Classic Traditional Metal bands both alive and defunct. I haven't nearly paid enough attention to this genre as I should. There are so many gems yet to be discovered and I'd gladly take anything anyone is willing to dish out. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm a fun of reading "old lore" on bands and how they influenced whom, where they came from, and what they put out. Classic!

A few band I've at least heard, and enjoyed would be the more common bands, such as Angel Witch, Satan, Motorhead, Pagan Altar, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Witchfinder General, and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Hopefully I can get some releases by these guys in the near future.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.02.2008 - 10:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The best NWOBHM band that no one knows about is Hammer. Everyone that I know who has heard it, which is hardly anyone, loves it. Even though they were only able to release one album back in 1985 entitled Contract With Hell, it's a fucking masterpiece and a classic within the genre.

18.02.2008 - 10:57
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 18.02.2008 at 10:42

The best NWOBHM band that no one knows about is Hammer. Everyone that I know who has heard it, which is hardly anyone, loves it. Even though they were only able to release one album back in 1985 entitled Contract With Hell, it's a fucking masterpiece and a classic within the genre.

http://www.vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Hammer.html - Full album available in Lo Fi Real Player format.

Hell yeah man. I can already tell from the first track that this is the sort of sound classic to the Wave. The blazing guitars, the galloping drum beat, the soaring vocals. Very tasty indeed pyro. Thanks a lot man. I'll definitely listen to more of this album.
----
18.02.2008 - 10:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmm I wont give you info about genre and history search in in net but about bands
Iron Maiden (Firts 2 albums)
Raven
Saxon(early)
Girl School
Witcfinder General
Angel Witch
Dimon Head
Blitkriek
Sweet Savage
Demon(I havnt hera tham)
Pagan Altar
Tank
Buffalo(singer was in X-Wild)
Battle Axe
Grim Reaper
Urchin

Those are bands what I know and had hear and can remeber whit out looking in i net (ok mention one band what i dunno but thay are famose)

More info http://www.nwobhm.info/nwobhm/
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.02.2008 - 10:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 18.02.2008 at 10:57

http://www.vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Hammer.html - Full album available in Lo Fi Real Player format.

Hell yeah man. I can already tell from the first track that this is the sort of sound classic to the Wave. The blazing guitars, the galloping drum beat, the soaring vocals. Very tasty indeed pyro. Thanks a lot man. I'll definitely listen to more of this album.

A lot of bands are avalible there and moustly those forgotten bands , I was suprised that Statovcarius and Candlemassare there
----

apos;'
[image]
18.02.2008 - 11:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 18.02.2008 at 10:59

A lot of bands are avalible there and moustly those forgotten bands , I was suprised that Statovcarius and Candlemassare there

Yeah, I just realized there's all kinds of stuff on here. It's not the best quality, but it can give me a good idea of what's what. A very valuable site!
----
18.02.2008 - 11:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 18.02.2008 at 11:03

Written by Bad English on 18.02.2008 at 10:59

Yeah, I just realized there's all kinds of stuff on here. It's not the best quality, but it can give me a good idea of what's what. I very valuable site!

Quality sucks man its mono but still it give syou idea about forgotten bands
I dont remeber name but I was listening there one band but I was pissed of of quality i hera same band in myspac eand damn awsome
mone its because of coppy right
----

apos;'
[image]
18.02.2008 - 11:09
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Yeah, I totally understand that. I'm just glad it's there. Checking out a band called Mithrandir, also listening to Blitzkrieg, which kick total ass. Thrash Mania anyone? Damn!
----
18.02.2008 - 11:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 18.02.2008 at 11:09

Yeah, I totally understand that. I'm just glad it's there. Checking out a band called Mithrandir, also listening to Blitzkrieg, which kick total ass. Thrash Mania anyone? Damn!

This gnere are only in UK because bands who are not from UK cant play this genre,
----

apos;'
[image]
18.02.2008 - 11:21
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 18.02.2008 at 11:14

Written by Clintagräm on 18.02.2008 at 11:09

This gnere are only in UK because bands who are not from UK cant play this genre,

Well, I wouldn't say bands that aren't in the United Kingdom can't play the genre. Just look at bands from other areas that play Bay Area Thrash, or Gothernburg Metal, or German Power Metal. It's true most of the bands at the heart of this genre are from Britain (obviously) but I'm sure there are many bands out there from around the globe who play and appreciate this music just the same.

By the way, Tokyo Blade kicks major ass too.
----
19.02.2008 - 22:08
Hellish Star
Best NWOBHM album ever:

SATAN - Court in the act
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
19.02.2008 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hellish Star on 19.02.2008 at 22:08

Best NWOBHM album ever:

SATAN - Court in the act

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2008 - 23:45
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2008 at 22:52

Best NWOBHM album ever:

SATAN - Court in the act

Agree, and I would add any of the Witchfinder General's full-lengths
20.02.2008 - 00:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.02.2008 at 23:45

Best NWOBHM album ever:

SATAN - Court in the act

although I do like Witchfinder General I do find them lacking somehow. Satan - Court In The Act is the epitome of NWOBHM for me too. Much more a sound of their own than WFG (which does lean a bit too much on Black Sabbath at times)

For people who want to start checking out NWOBHM I recommend the double cd Lasr Ulrich compiled called NWOBHM '79 Revisited
http://hebertson.net.hosting.domaindirect.com/music/collection/details/3617.html for more info on disc 1 of this very good compilation.
http://hebertson.net.hosting.domaindirect.com/music/collection/details/3659.html fpr more info on disc 2 of this very good compilation.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2008 - 00:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.02.2008 at 00:08

Written by Guest on 19.02.2008 at 23:45

Best NWOBHM album ever:

SATAN - Court in the act

although I do like Witchfinder General I do find them lacking somehow. Satan - Court In The Act is the epitome of NWOBHM for me too. Much more a sound of their own than WFG (which does lean a bit too much on Black Sabbath at times)

For people who want to start checking out NWOBHM I recommend the double cd Lasr Ulrich compiled called NWOBHM '79 Revisited
http://hebertson.net.hosting.domaindirect.com/music/collection/details/3617.html for more info on disc 1 of this very good compilation.
http://hebertson.net.hosting.domaindirect.com/music/collection/details/3659.html fpr more info on disc 2 of this very good compilation.

Well, both bands WG and Satan are among the very few that had written only good songs, imo (at least considering the two albums I had heard from Satan).
20.02.2008 - 19:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Have you guys heard this band called Iron Maiden? They play some great NWOBHM, haven't got my hands on any album yet though. They're impossible to find. But try to download some! Gonna see them live this summer, they're opening up for Avenged Sevenfold.
----
20.02.2008 - 20:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 20.02.2008 at 19:42

Have you guys heard this band called Iron Maiden? They play some great NWOBHM, haven't got my hands on any album yet though. They're impossible to find. But try to download some! Gonna see them live this summer, they're opening up for Avenged Sevenfold.

No thay us eto play it in firt 2 albums and than it was more like hevay metal and after No Prayer For Dying its 100% HM
----

apos;'
[image]
20.02.2008 - 22:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
NWOBHM? I'm starting to get into Tokyo Blade & Tygers Of Pan Tang, there albums are pretty hard to find in stores though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.02.2008 - 00:55
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2008 at 22:15

NWOBHM? I'm starting to get into Tokyo Blade & Tygers Of Pan Tang, there albums are pretty hard to find in stores though.

Tell me about it. Not only have I hardly ever seen any NWOBHM in regular stores, but those albums that are classics but hard to find (Tokyo Blade, Satan, Angelwitch) often sell for fifty dollars or more online, just for a CD. Need some re releases.
----
21.02.2008 - 03:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 21.02.2008 at 00:55

Tell me about it. Not only have I hardly ever seen any NWOBHM in regular stores, but those albums that are classics but hard to find (Tokyo Blade, Satan, Angelwitch) often sell for fifty dollars or more online, just for a CD. Need some re releases.

Well Tygers Of Pan Tang are going for relatively cheap, but I have very limited access to a credit card.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.02.2008 - 07:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Angelwitch's debut is bloody easy to get hold of since it has been re-released a zillion times. Also Satan't second album (which has the Into The Future ep as bonus) is quite easy to track down.) But Satan's debut is nigh to impossible to get hold of as are Tokyo Blades' first two (only those two are any good btw) Taling about Tokyo Blade... I saw them live in 1984 together with Savage (another very good NWOBHM band, but like most of those bands only the debut album is great), Horizon (unknown Dutch band), Metallica (yeah with Cliff) and Venom (they were crap live back then as well)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.02.2008 - 20:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.02.2008 at 07:50

, but like most of those bands only the debut album is

I think all 80ties bands who has realised 1-3 albums in 80ties and spolitt up are good, but after reunion I dont like tham so much
Same sabout 80ties thrash and such metal genrealy
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2008 - 20:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 21.02.2008 at 20:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.02.2008 at 07:50

, but like most of those bands only the debut album is

I think all 80ties bands who has realised 1-3 albums in 80ties and spolitt up are good, but after reunion I dont like tham so much
Same sabout 80ties thrash and such metal genrealy

That's true, even though I realize myself zoning out later albums, and usually only paying attention to early ones, you can't count out new albums just because they are well, new. Just listen to some of the newer Kreator, Exodus, Heathen, and Slayer. Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy these releases. Sure they're not the albums from the 80s, but I wouldn't want them to be. (I realize these are Thrash, but it's what came to mind.)

But anyway, I do agree the early albums of bands often are better than the later, but that's not to say their newer albums don't kick ass too. (Plus it's not always true.)
----
21.02.2008 - 20:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For example I like 80ties Sodom, Overkill, Testament, Vio-Lance.... and a ,lot of other bands
but a lot of bands split up in 90ties and start again aftre 2006 something and new album its not like I wanna hear moustly ist about all thrash and death bands
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2008 - 20:46
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 21.02.2008 at 20:43

For example I like 80ties Sodom, Overkill, Testament, Vio-Lance.... and a ,lot of other bands
but a lot of bands split up in 90ties and start again aftre 2006 something and new album its not like I wanna hear moustly ist about all thrash and death bands

Yeah, but what about those bands that have continued to make albums from the '80s up until now, like Sodom, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, and the like? There can be literally be heard a progression (for better or worse) in their sound. I guess this goes along with all genre's really.
----
21.02.2008 - 20:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 21.02.2008 at 20:46

Written by Bad English on 21.02.2008 at 20:43

Yeah, but what about those bands that have continued to make albums from the '80s up until now, like Sodom, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, and the like? There can be literally be heard a progression (for better or worse) in their sound. I guess this goes along with all genre's really.

No non of tham i dont like in nowdays
Sodom no Slayer no , Exodus no only Megadeath I like maybe Onslaught Savatage, Tarot , Iron Maiden, Saxon Of corse there are bands what i like but % werry fiew
----

apos;'
[image]
25.02.2008 - 15:45
Hangar XVIII
My favorite NWOBHM band is probably Diamond Head. Even though they started sucking, Lightning to the Nations kicks ass.
Angel Witch is pretty good too.

Tygers of Pan Tang
?Helloween? (Are they NWOBHM? The world will never know.)
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
25.02.2008 - 17:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hangar XVIII on 25.02.2008 at 15:45

?Helloween?

WTF man its speed and power one of pioneers of genre
damn some ppl say CoB are melo death and i laf but this was one of stupidest posts here
----

apos;'
[image]
25.02.2008 - 19:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 25.02.2008 at 17:44

?Helloween?

damn some ppl say CoB are melo death and i laf but this was one of stupidest posts here

Damn man, give the guy a break. I think a legit argument could be made. Seeing as you yourself said they were Speed Metal and Power Metal, where do you think both of those genre's evolved out of? Speed Metal evolved out of NWOBHM. So I think you could definitely say that early Helloween was influenced by this genre, and many of its aspects carried over in their early music.
----
25.02.2008 - 21:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 25.02.2008 at 19:25

Written by Bad English on 25.02.2008 at 17:44

?Helloween?

Damn man, give the guy a break. I think a legit argument could be made. Seeing as you yourself said they were Speed Metal and Power Metal, where do you think both of those genre's evolved out of? Speed Metal evolved out of NWOBHM. So I think you could definitely say that early Helloween was influenced by this genre, and many of its aspects carried over in their early music.

Influenced domt means it is genre NWOBGM influenced almoust all bands into future even metallica and thrash scene , thay influenced ewery band, but it dont means Metallica play NWOBHM
----

apos;'
[image]