Metal Storm logo
NWOBHM

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 18.02.2008 - 10:37
What's to say? Just a topic for recommendation's and discussions on Classic Traditional Metal bands both alive and defunct. I haven't nearly paid enough attention to this genre as I should. There are so many gems yet to be discovered and I'd gladly take anything anyone is willing to dish out. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm a fun of reading "old lore" on bands and how they influenced whom, where they came from, and what they put out. Classic!

A few band I've at least heard, and enjoyed would be the more common bands, such as Angel Witch, Satan, Motorhead, Pagan Altar, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Witchfinder General, and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Hopefully I can get some releases by these guys in the near future.
25.02.2008 - 21:31
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 25.02.2008 at 21:21

Written by Clintagräm on 25.02.2008 at 19:25

Written by Bad English on 25.02.2008 at 17:44

Written by Hangar XVIII on 25.02.2008 at 15:45

?Helloween?

WTF man its speed and power one of pioneers of genre
damn some ppl say CoB are melo death and i laf but this was one of stupidest posts here

Damn man, give the guy a break. I think a legit argument could be made. Seeing as you yourself said they were Speed Metal and Power Metal, where do you think both of those genre's evolved out of? Speed Metal evolved out of NWOBHM. So I think you could definitely say that early Helloween was influenced by this genre, and many of its aspects carried over in their early music.

Influenced domt means it is genre NWOBGM influenced almoust all bands into future even metallica and thrash scene , thay influenced ewery band, but it dont means Metallica play NWOBHM

Yeah but he was asking. And early Metallica definitely had some NWOBHM remnants, and thus could be classified as a type of Post-NWOBHM/Thrash band, at that time. I'm not as much interested as in the genre as you being a total asshole towards him. Just chill out man.
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.02.2008 - 21:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 25.02.2008 at 21:31

Written by Bad English on 25.02.2008 at 21:21

Written by Clintagräm on 25.02.2008 at 19:25

?Helloween?

damn some ppl say CoB are melo death and i laf but this was one of stupidest posts here

Damn man, give the guy a break. I think a legit argument could be made. Seeing as you yourself said they were Speed Metal and Power Metal, where do you think both of those genre's evolved out of? Speed Metal evolved out of NWOBHM. So I think you could definitely say that early Helloween was influenced by this genre, and many of its aspects carried over in their early music.

Influenced domt means it is genre NWOBGM influenced almoust all bands into future even metallica and thrash scene , thay influenced ewery band, but it dont means Metallica play NWOBHM

Yeah but he was asking. And early Metallica definitely had some NWOBHM remnants, and thus could be classified as a type of Post-NWOBHM/Thrash band, at that time. I'm not as much interested as in the genre as you being a total asshole towards him. Just chill out man.

Listen garange ince and you will see what band slsiten band members in time hna thay wa syoung and I didnt say nothing bad to that guy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.02.2008 - 21:57
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
You basically called him an idiot, so I'd say that's quite insulting. OTHER than that, yes, I know who influenced them and whatnot. Ever heard of Diamond Head? Probably they're biggest influence, and they are NWOBHM. Indeed, it's well known Thrash was a fusion of such genre's as NWOBHM, Speed, and Punk. What I'm talking about is what their music sounds like too. Listen to songs like "Hit the Lights" and "Jump in the Fire" if anything, I would say those songs are more New Wave than Thrash, at least not that we have had time to look back on the genre's as a whole.
----
26.02.2008 - 00:56
Hangar XVIII

?Helloween?

Wow.
I dunno though, I saw them in a NWOBHM playlist somewhere.
I haven't really heard much of them.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
26.02.2008 - 09:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hangar XVIII on 26.02.2008 at 00:56

?Helloween?

Wow.

wierd man because non mentioned tham how NWOBHM , nobody it was weird , werry weird
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2008 - 22:23
Hangar XVIII
Yeah, well the playlist was on iTunes if I remember, which probably explains why it was mixed up.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
26.02.2008 - 23:22
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I'm checking out Samson (w/ Bruce Dickinson) right now
27.02.2008 - 21:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 26.02.2008 at 23:22

I'm checking out Samson (w/ Bruce Dickinson) right now

:thumbsup:

Cool band also without Bruce
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2008 - 22:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Whan Iwas in Swe i hear samson some bootleg or even live record from radio or something, one freind give it to me, but tape was on so bad quality that it wasnt so usefull wasted tiem anyway
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2008 - 08:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 26.02.2008 at 09:37

?Helloween?

Wow.

wierd man because non mentioned tham how NWOBHM , nobody it was weird , werry weird

And Helloween are German, if I'm not correct, NWOBHM stands for New Wave Of British Heavy Metal...unless its one of those titles thats thrown around...like Gothenburg Metal....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.02.2008 - 06:19
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 28.02.2008 at 08:28

Written by Bad English on 26.02.2008 at 09:37

?Helloween?

Wow.

And Helloween are German, if I'm not correct, NWOBHM stands for New Wave Of British Heavy Metal...unless its one of those titles thats thrown around...like Gothenburg Metal....

British indeed. The original bands were British yes, but other band's can definitely be heavily influenced, and sound like them, and thus, the genre no longer really applies to that area only. It's like when bounds outside of San Francisco play Bay Area Thrash.
----
29.02.2008 - 15:05
Hangar XVIII
I hope i don't bash myself again, but isn't Blitzkrieg considered NWOBHM? And are they not German?
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
29.02.2008 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.02.2008 at 15:05

I hope i don't bash myself again, but isn't Blitzkrieg considered NWOBHM? And are they not German?

Yes, they are NWOBHM but they aren't German, they are English
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2008 - 16:20
Hangar XVIII
Ah.
Yeah, I'm kind of new to metal if you haven't noticed already...
Any good reccomendations of NWOBHM bands? I listen to Diamond Head and Angel Witch now, but haven't heard much else.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
29.02.2008 - 16:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.02.2008 at 16:20

Ah.
Any good reccomendations of NWOBHM bands? I listen to Diamond Head and Angel Witch now, but haven't heard much else.

Satan (especially Court IN The Act)
Samson (with Bruce Dickinson on vocals)
first Holocaust album

problem is that most of the best NWOBHM bands had their best work released as singles only.
So try and get hold of NWOBHM Revisited '79 double cd which was compiled by Lars Ulrich. I think I posted links to the tracklists of both disc earlier on in this thread.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2008 - 17:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
what about Def Leppard? any recommendations to "getting started" with them? ( i am gonna see them at Masters of Rock in summer so i want to know something about them)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.02.2008 - 17:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 29.02.2008 at 17:27

what about Def Leppard? any recommendations to "getting started" with them? ( i am gonna see them at Masters of Rock in summer so i want to know something about them)

Def Leppard is a bit of a difficult case cause they started off with really well played (though a bit more radio friendly) NWOBHM only to slide off into sugary op rock territory. But starting with Def Leppard I would go for On Through The Night & High 'n Dry, then Pyromania (which already had a soofter and slicker approach cause they wanted to break the US market with this one, which they managed btw). After those three stay clear off them. But my guilt pleasure is the totally overproduced sugary slick abomination called Hysteria (I somehow just LOVE that horrendous album )
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2008 - 19:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.02.2008 at 16:20

Ah.

Try all bands what we mentioned here, all are well know in genre and also songs are in net
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2008 - 18:02
Hellish Star
Other bands worth mentioning
CLOVEN HOOF
BLITZKRIEG
ELIXIR
CHATEAUX
DEMON
JAGUAR
GRIM REAPER
QUARTZ
RAVEN
TOKYO BLADE !!!!
SAVAGE
IRON MAIDEN
SAXON
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
01.03.2008 - 20:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellish Star on 01.03.2008 at 18:02

Other bands worth mentioning
CLOVEN HOOF

Damn man I forgot taht band I know Venom BM was fan of tham and he introduce me whit it and I love it even I hera it whit mono quality I still adore it asome
----

apos;'
[image]
02.03.2008 - 01:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

TOKYO BLADE !!!!

Yes! Tokyo Blade! Vicky James Wright sang for them when he was only 17! (he sang on 2 albums I believe), then went on to start Johnny Crash....now hes a strip club DJ
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.03.2008 - 16:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 02.03.2008 at 01:53

TOKYO BLADE !!!!

Yes! Tokyo Blade! Vicky James Wright sang for them when he was only 17! (he sang on 2 albums I believe), then went on to start Johnny Crash....now hes a strip club DJ

Only Tokyo Blade's fiirst two are good and the rest can be forgotten entirely.

The only time I saw them live was when they played with Savage (also NWOBHM check out their classic Loos 'n' Lethal album), Horizon (Dutch band formerly known as Savage), Venom, and Metallica at the Aardschokdag 1984 in Zwolle, The Netherlands. What I remember most clearly of the Tokyo Blade show is that bassplayer Andy Wrighton tripped over his bass chord and fell off the stage.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2008 - 17:52
Hellish Star
Tokyo Blade reunited and will appear at the next KIT Festival (november edition)
----

06.03.2008 - 19:22
Charly546
I'd like to mention a NWOBHM band called Blind Fury. It consists of basically the same lineup as was on Satan's debut (minus Brian Ross, he's replaced by Lou Taylor). Awesome stuff, they have a very rock-ish feel, but guitarwork is even more melodic than on Court in the Act, but still quite complex. Taylors vocals are not as good as Brian Ross, but his calm and pleasant voice suits the music perfectly.

Very recommended, if you like Court in the Act
07.03.2008 - 09:47
FOOCK Nam
Blitzkrieg is good recommendation
11.03.2008 - 06:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Thanks for recommending Satan. I just downloaded Court in the Act and I love it. The music is just so fucking catchy, and I love that dude's voice.

Next download - Tokyo Blade xD
11.03.2008 - 13:04
Blood Raven
Blitzkrieg and Grim Reaper are so underrated bands when you think how awsome albums they've made.
11.03.2008 - 21:14
Hellish Star
Written by Dangerboner on 11.03.2008 at 06:59

Thanks for recommending Satan. I just downloaded Court in the Act and I love it. The music is just so fucking catchy, and I love that dude's voice.

Than you must try Blitzkrieg as well, also with Brian Ross on vocals.

Their best album: Sins and greed
----

29.03.2008 - 09:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was just wondering if anyone has heard Blitzkrieg's debut 'A Time of Changes?' I'm sure someone has and I'm very curious about it.
----
29.03.2008 - 12:29
Charly546
Written by Clintagräm on 29.03.2008 at 09:40

I was just wondering if anyone has heard Blitzkrieg's debut 'A Time of Changes?' I'm sure someone has and I'm very curious about it.

I have. It's pretty good NWOBHM, nice riffs, leads and solos (although the guitarwork isn't as great as it was on "Court in the Act; it is still pretty damn good). Ross's vocals are also outstanding, as good as on "Court in the Act". Vocal lines are pretty catchy and should stay in your mind for a while. On production side, drums are a bit too loud for me, everything else is nicely heard though, so it should not be a problem. If you like NWOBHM, you should like this one, as it's well above-average.

And if possible, get the "A Time of Changes - Phase 1" as it features a lot of demos (especially the "Blitzed Alive" demo, which is for me, better than the album) and some more unreleased material, most of which is very good.