Metal Storm logo
NWOBHM

Original post

Posted by Clintagrรคm, 18.02.2008 - 10:37
What's to say? Just a topic for recommendation's and discussions on Classic Traditional Metal bands both alive and defunct. I haven't nearly paid enough attention to this genre as I should. There are so many gems yet to be discovered and I'd gladly take anything anyone is willing to dish out. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm a fun of reading "old lore" on bands and how they influenced whom, where they came from, and what they put out. Classic!

A few band I've at least heard, and enjoyed would be the more common bands, such as Angel Witch, Satan, Motorhead, Pagan Altar, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Witchfinder General, and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Hopefully I can get some releases by these guys in the near future.
01.04.2008 - 20:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just hear in vibrationsofdoom band Excalibur (UK) - ''One Strange Night''

Its werry good band, damn only one album and cople demos but so good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.04.2008 - 19:55
Clintagrรคm
Shrinebuilder
I just found a new (well, to me) band called Warfare. I actually first heard about them through Japan's Black/Thrash band Cut Throat who covered a couple of their songs on on their debut album 'Rape Rape Rape.' They play a rough Punky type of NWOBHM very similar to Venom, but are unique enough that it's not just a Venom clone. I suggest anyone interested check them out. It seems they were also a bit influenced from the very early Thrash scene too.

http://www.myspace.com/warfaretribute
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.08.2008 - 00:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
copy/paste from the doomed NWOBHM thread i created

the band Angel Witch caught my eye recently, i downloaded the self titled album and "Screamin' and Bleedin'", but only listened to their self title, i really love the song "Angel Witch" but the rest isn't that good.. maybe i'll have to give it another try soon.

Marcel suggested to me an album by Satan(damn, what an original band name lol), it's called "Court in the Act"(this band isn't even on Wikipedia.. how kvlt is that??)

what else can you people reccomend me?(stuff that sounds like Maiden's first 2 albums only more "metal")
19.08.2008 - 00:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 19.08.2008 at 00:01

Marcel suggested to me an album by Satan(damn, what an original band name lol), it's called "Court in the Act"(this band isn't even on Wikipedia.. how kvlt is that??)

Why do people keep on mentioning Wikipedia when it comes to metal? Wiki is one of the worst sites around for metal.

Satan was really well-known from round 1983 to 1988 afer their original vocalist left the recruited a vocalist named... okay hold on to your seats...

MICHAEL JACKSON.

After recording one ep (Into the Future) and one full-length (Suspended Sentence), botht the ep and full-length have been re-released on on cd, the changed their name into Pariah which spilt up cause a couple fo the guys left Pariah to join Martin Walkyier and form Skyclad.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2008 - 00:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.08.2008 at 00:08

Why do people keep on mentioning Wikipedia when it comes to metal? Wiki is one of the worst sites around for metal.

Satan was really well-known from round 1983 to 1988 afer their original vocalist left the recruited a vocalist named... okay hold on to your seats...

MICHAEL JACKSON.

After recording one ep (Into the Future) and one full-length (Suspended Sentence), botht the ep and full-length have been re-released on on cd, the changed their name into Pariah which spilt up cause a couple fo the guys left Pariah to join Martin Walkyier and form Skyclad.

wow i really like Michael Jackson(though i do realize the guy from satan's not the one i'm thinking about).. guess i'll give them a try soon too lol
19.08.2008 - 00:22
Elio
Red Nightmare

MICHAEL JACKSON.

Michael Jackson?? doing metal?? are u kiddin us??
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.08.2008 - 00:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elio on 19.08.2008 at 00:22

MICHAEL JACKSON.

No, but this is of course and Englishman called Michael jackson. hell one of the greatest beer & whisky connaisseurs in the world was alsso called Michael Jackson. It is quite a common name though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2008 - 00:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.08.2008 at 00:23

Written by Elio on 19.08.2008 at 00:22

MICHAEL JACKSON.

No, but this is of course and Englishman called Michael jackson. hell one of the greatest beer & whisky connaisseurs in the world was alsso called Michael Jackson. It is quite a common name though.

So it's not the same who singed Billie Jean etc.?? ahah What a stupid I am also Valentin said that
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.08.2008 - 18:37
Hellish Star
I'm totally into CLOVEN HOOF nowadays
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
15.09.2008 - 00:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellish Star on 19.08.2008 at 18:37

How sounds new albums who was realised after re union
Its much duferent how 80's and Im so possessed whit 80's albums, realy best what thay craite, one of best albums in NWOBHM and 80's generaly
----

apos;'
[image]
15.09.2008 - 18:54
Hellish Star
The latest album sounds terrific. Also the latest compilation "The definitive part one" (with re-recordings of old songs) is fantastic
----

15.09.2008 - 21:36
Charly546
Neat released a nice compilation of NWOBHM a while back, "Empire of Thunder". It's really good and if you have the slightest intrest in NWOBHM, you ought to get it. Tytan, Blind Fury (Satan), Chariot, Bitches Sin are just some of the bands on that compilation.

EDIT: Oh and I've been thinking of checking out the EF band, but the samples on their webpage didn't leave any impressions. So are they good? Worth getting?
12.02.2009 - 08:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I'm surprised (and ecstatic) to see the re-releases of those two Tokyo Blade albums are becoming easier to get now. Any idea if they're going to be re-releasing any others? Like Night Of The Blade? I'm tired of having to go Indiana Jones on these albums asses.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.03.2009 - 23:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol NWOBHM rules, but NWOBHM songs with BRITISH ACCENT SINGING suck. they remind me of the modern indie crap that's flooded the tv and my sister's playlist.
30.03.2009 - 23:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2009 at 23:14

Lol NWOBHM rules, but NWOBHM songs with BRITISH ACCENT SINGING suck. they remind me of the modern indie crap that's flooded the tv and my sister's playlist.

british acent singing? what did you mean usualy band swho talk whit accent sings in correct english, look hwo speek Rob helford, Bruce Dickinson and how they sings, acent = clean english
Shirley Manson from Garbage, look her firts interwiew terible scotisch and singing pure english

only problem to understand what he's saying in tv intererwiews is Lemmy Killmsiter from Motorhead , other artists I have no problems, but his talking, realy you need it hear 4 times abd slo motion to get something
----

apos;'
[image]
30.03.2009 - 23:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 30.03.2009 at 23:20

Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2009 at 23:14

british acent singing? what did you mean usualy band swho talk whit accent sings in correct english, look hwo speek Rob helford, Bruce Dickinson and how they sings, acent = clean english
Shirley Manson from Garbage, look her firts interwiew terible scotisch and singing pure english

i mean of course, vocalists who sing (and presumably also talk) with a british accent, as opposed to Dickinson or Halford. for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzg0ZLeF7rc i mean the song is awesome, even the vocal "melodies" and stuff are great and catchy but THAT ACCENT ANNOYS ME.
31.03.2009 - 00:57
DayFly
Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2009 at 23:24

i mean of course, vocalists who sing (and presumably also talk) with a british accent, as opposed to Dickinson or Halford. for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzg0ZLeF7rc i mean the song is awesome, even the vocal "melodies" and stuff are great and catchy but THAT ACCENT ANNOYS ME.

German accents are far worse in my opinion (and that's coming from a proud German). Doro albums can be so grating...
31.03.2009 - 03:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by DayFly on 31.03.2009 at 00:57

German accents are far worse in my opinion (and that's coming from a proud German). Doro albums can be so grating...

Depends what it is. Yeah I can agree (although I am a Doro/Warlock fan) when her accent comes in too strong it can be grating, but with more aggressive stuff it makes it sound better IMO. For example Sodom, when Angelrippers accent comes through it sounds a lot better than a north american accent.

I've also heard some german punk that sounds pretty cool.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.03.2009 - 09:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by DayFly on 31.03.2009 at 00:57

Man german accent try listen old Doro and Warllock there 100% german accent in Doro's vocals, now she somehow sings whit out it
----

apos;'
[image]
05.04.2009 - 13:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Damn i'm falling for this genre REALLY BADLY. listening right now to Cloven Hoof- Laying Down the Law.

HOLY FUCK this is awesome! though i gotta say, this stuff is REALLY FUCKING HARD to find... i'm waiting on torrents with only 1-2 seeders max.

also some other songs which i find awesome are Praying Mantis- Captured City and Diamond Head- Sucking My Love. both have awesome guitar work.
05.04.2009 - 13:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 05.04.2009 at 13:35

Damn i'm falling for this genre REALLY BADLY. listening right now to Cloven Hoof- Laying Down the Law.

HOLY FUCK this is awesome! though i gotta say, this stuff is REALLY FUCKING HARD to find... i'm waiting on torrents with only 1-2 seeders max.

also some other songs which i find awesome are Praying Mantis- Captured City and Diamond Head- Sucking My Love. both have awesome guitar work.

Cloven Hoof rules man, good band and about video man its awesome, realy good and I dont hera any accent there, its awesome band WG rules
----

apos;'
[image]
05.04.2009 - 14:09
smcl369
Is Savatage NWOBHM?
05.04.2009 - 14:15
DayFly
Written by smcl369 on 05.04.2009 at 14:09

Is Savatage NWOBHM?

You are kidding, right?
05.04.2009 - 14:17
smcl369
Written by DayFly on 05.04.2009 at 14:15

Is Savatage NWOBHM?

You are kidding, right?

Yes, although they do sound older...
05.04.2009 - 14:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Is Savatage NWOBHM?

Savatage is NOT NWOUHM its hevay metal or us power metal but generaly its heavy metal
97% NWOGBH bands come from UK and moust are split up or changed sound
Saxon early days NWOBHM
Now HM
----

apos;'
[image]
05.04.2009 - 15:55
Elio
Red Nightmare
Still Savatage were a great band!
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
05.04.2009 - 16:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 05.04.2009 at 15:55

Still Savatage were a great band!

I never sad they wanst great
I love all of band albums but moust whit John Oliva but even whit out him band was great
----

apos;'
[image]
08.04.2009 - 15:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast

amen, this band is awesome: Laying Down the Law, The Fugitive, Cloven Hoof, all truly great songs
08.04.2009 - 22:52
Hellish Star
Written by Valentin B on 08.04.2009 at 15:26

amen, this band is awesome: Laying Down the Law, The Fugitive, Cloven Hoof, all truly great songs

I will see them in two weeks, at the KIT festival
----

09.04.2009 - 14:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Hellish Star on 08.04.2009 at 22:52

Written by Valentin B on 08.04.2009 at 15:26

I will see them in two weeks, at the KIT festival

i see they're celebrating a "NWOBHM anniversary" so they say NWOBHM started in 1979 or something like that? lol to quote Saxon, "where were you in 79 when the dam began to burst?"

and lol they've already announced most of the bands for 2010? damn, that's german punctuality for ya