Metal Storm logo
Anti-emo: when intolerance becomes violence

Original post

Posted by selken, 31.03.2008 - 04:59
Hello
Read: here
I you are too lazy/tired/whatever to read it, I'll short it for you:

It's about an anti-emo movement, formed in Mexico, these movement reunited last week over 1000 people who hate emo-kids and started a witch hunting mob, in which 4 people were injured, the thing gets worse for the strange-haired dudes cause there are forming more hate groups in other points of the country and southamerica.

First I have to be sincere, I really hate emo music, and also hate the emo kids lifestyle, but that does not give the right to hurt people, my point is when we metalheads incite to the violence against other groups with different ideas we are violating our roots, do you remember the phrase "Live and let die"?

what do you think
01.04.2008 - 05:36
totaliteraliter
Written by Arian Totalis on 01.04.2008 at 05:12

Written by totaliteraliter on 01.04.2008 at 04:47

You know what isn't metal? Being concerned about the public perception of metalheads.

And let people continue to persecute me because of misconceptions caused by shitheads? Fuck that.

Um, letting people persecute you would be even less metal.
01.04.2008 - 05:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by totaliteraliter on 01.04.2008 at 05:36

Written by Arian Totalis on 01.04.2008 at 05:12

You know what isn't metal? Being concerned about the public perception of metalheads.

And let people continue to persecute me because of misconceptions caused by shitheads? Fuck that.

Um, letting people persecute you would be even less metal.

Yeah, and the best way to prevent them from persecuting me is by eductaing them and letting them see it for what it really is. Screw ignorance.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.04.2008 - 05:51
totaliteraliter
Written by Arian Totalis on 01.04.2008 at 05:42
Yeah, and the best way to prevent them from persecuting me is by eductaing them and letting them see it for what it really is. Screw ignorance.

Sorry, I cannot condone the emasculation of the metal culture in public discourse. It just destroys everything metal is about. Which is why I say, hail emo-beaters! They are at least canceling out the damage done by Agalloch.
01.04.2008 - 05:54
selken
Irreligious

maybe you live on a lonely island but I live surrounded by another people, and I have to work for the people Im sorrounded with, in order to EAT!!!

just grow a little years more and you'll find out how important is people perception about you.

hail emo-beaters!

Like my Machine Head says, no silence against ignorance, you are supporting the fact of physically hurting people pff, if you are joking its OK but if you are being serious I prefer not to say anything...
----
01.04.2008 - 06:08
totaliteraliter
Written by selken on 01.04.2008 at 05:54
maybe you live on a lonely island but I live surrounded by another people, and I have to work for the people Im sorrounded with, in order to EAT!!!

just grow a little years more and you'll find out how important is people perception about you.

here's a tip: if you're so "metal" it prevents you from getting a job, you are the one with a problem. Don't blame it on drunk Mexican mobs. That's not metal.
01.04.2008 - 12:45
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by selken on 01.04.2008 at 00:20

maybe i get it wrong but, are you suggesting 4 people injured is too litle? did you expected deaths?.
we metalheads have a HUGE compromise, and is to BEHAVE cause out there a LOT of people think we metalheads are a bunch of vulgar, violent, drug addicts and riot creators, so we have the compromise to clean out that stereotype and let people know we can be (and are) as humans as the rest.

I didn't expect anything more. Metalheads = violent? These kids obviously wish to have that stereotype seeing as they're all acting tough against emos but 1000 anti-emo kids and they only managed to injure 4 people? it just proves that teenagers are all talk and no balls. I'm not saying they should be violent, I'm just saying it's ridiculous that they act tough and threaten these people but won't do anything.

I'd like to see these kids harass skinheads or anyone who might actually retaliate to this stupidity. They wouldn't be very cocky after that.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
01.04.2008 - 19:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I really hate the emo-music.
It's seriously bad and they try to make the others think how deep they are.

But I just can't hit on person in the face just because I hate the way he dress or the music he likes..
It's stupid.

I think that my opinion it's like all the guys here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2008 - 21:33
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm not a big fan of the emo music or lifestyle, but I don't think anyone has the right to attack them for the way they live. Such violence and ignorance is not needed in our already troubled world. We could put our time and efforts into so much better stuff.
02.04.2008 - 05:58
Buggy
Account deleted
Heed the word, brothers (and sisters): there is no metal. No emo. No goth, none of these categorizations you are so obsessed with. They are but illusionary, deceptive mental constructs of superficiality and generalization. Free yourself from the shackles of social psychosis: there is only people out there. And you won't know them by their makeup mask.

All of you who proudly expressed your "hate" thowards so-called "emos" while condemning the violence are gracing us with quite the exercise in hypocrisy. Given the right circumstances, hate will always generate violence. It's all too easy to play wiseass behind the rationalizing barrier of your monitor, but truth is, between the interiorized prejudice, alcohol, and blind group mentality (no matter what you think, nobody is immune to it) many of us could have been part of that crowd.

What you may not realize is that you don't really hate emos. You don't even know them. Life is paved with frustration, and they just lend themselves as a convenient target to direct your spite against. Speaking of which, have you ever wondered what leads these youths to identify themselves with the aforementioned stereotype? Yes, emos truly do suffer (each differently, each individually), as all teenagers (and people in general) do. As we, too, do, or otherwise we wouldn't bear resentment thowards people we don't even know and who haven't done anything to us...
02.04.2008 - 06:49
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Guest on 02.04.2008 at 05:58

Heed the word, brothers (and sisters): there is no metal. No emo. No goth, none of these categorizations you are so obsessed with. They are but illusionary, deceptive mental constructs of superficiality and generalization. Free yourself from the shackles of social psychosis: there is only people out there. And you won't know them by their makeup mask.

All of you who proudly expressed your "hate" thowards so-called "emos" while condemning the violence are gracing us with quite the exercise in hypocrisy. Given the right circumstances, hate will always generate violence. It's all too easy to play wiseass behind the rationalizing barrier of your monitor, but truth is, between the interiorized prejudice, alcohol, and blind group mentality (no matter what you think, nobody is immune to it) many of us could have been part of that crowd.

What you may not realize is that you don't really hate emos. You don't even know them. Life is paved with frustration, and they just lend themselves as a convenient target to direct your spite against. Speaking of which, have you ever wondered what leads these youths to identify themselves with the aforementioned stereotype? Yes, emos truly do suffer (each differently, each individually), as all teenagers (and people in general) do. As we, too, do, or otherwise we wouldn't bear resentment thowards people we don't even know and who haven't done anything to us...

Dude you're like a worse version of me.

All of this is completely obvious and rehashed textbook moral code.

Btw, some emos don't suffer at all and that is the nucleus of the frustration people have with them [an admittedly generalised one, albeit]. People get irritated by these whiney spoilt posers with functional families and reasonably promising after-school options that spend their time talking about some vague pain based on a temporary and teen-angst driven relationship and/or turmoil that even they know time, common sense and maturity/growth will heal. The self-indulgence and poor-me attitude takes the piss out of every third world starving child in history, and is akin to the Grunge movement but less original, less genuine, with less of a history or back-story or half credible reason apart from boredom. A lot of the Grunge guys were from dead-end towns and from broken families and were deadbeat junkies before they were famous, Generation X was real and they really didn't fit into the overall plan the previous generation had decided for them. They were cheated by their parents who promised to change the world, and by their government's newfound love of corporate identity and corporate based capitalism and hidden conservatism. They really were the first generation to have nothing to protest, nothing to unify about - whether good or bad - nothing to celebrate and nothing to drive for. They were optionless due to governments recovering from stupid foreign policies and idiotic war-based and budget-based decisions. They were cultureless due to the ever-widening generation gap born from baby boomers starting families later on as they were enjoying their bohemian lifestyles for longer and longer. Cultureless also due to the rapid decline in entertainment based spending, and the evil creation of corporate-based supposed 'youth culture' such as MTV. This is where the sudden explosion of fanzines and indie record labels came from: as I said above, the fact that they were victims of corporate based identity and capitalism.
In the time of Generation Y there's really no excuse for these white bread supplementary fad-mongers. Although Corporations are more rife than ever before, we've never had an age of such mass networking, of so many scene options, of so many indie based publications. However I will admit that it's not good enough. That they are slowly one by one being combatted through mergers devised by major record exec's [the phrase "let me make you an offer you cannot refuse" springs to mind] - the Rupert Murdochs of this world. That amongst the constantly growing "our way is best" calls it is becoming easier to segregate, easier to define with one and pitch against the other. Easier to feel overwhelmed by the ruthless media attacks of over-information and celebrity worship and just say 'Fuck it.' That it's easier to abandon the prevalent need for unity within sub-culture and to just allow the wave of apathy to submerse.
I just wish that the scene that would bring every whiney kid to an enlightened realisation and purpose...that the sub-culture that would rise against and dare to recreate the solidarity of passion and freedom that was the 60's...that the common grounds that would give every person the right to explore feelings, ideas and questioning in a rational, intelligent and selfless way was just a little more inspired and socially/politically aware than the pathetic label-churned pre-packaged rebellion-for-the-masses uber-arrogant faux-teen-angst-ridden putrid filthy drivel that is called 'emo.'

I am completely against violence in all it's forms. I do not condone what these guys did, and are unfortunately still doing, in any way shape or form. This is merely a reaction to the supposedly empathetic view of emo being about poor kids feeling pain and suffering..

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
02.04.2008 - 11:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by owl on 31.03.2008 at 13:18

Written by destroyah on 31.03.2008 at 12:07

What have these "emo's" done to you to have pissed you off? Sure, maybe occasionally I've seen a somewhat strange looking "specimen" walk down the street but I seriously think other people's appearance and lifestyle is NOT my goddamn problem.
Well put. I must say I even enjoy that they're around where I can see them, that way I can get some laughs on my way to work. If they want to get people's attention, then I'll indulge them.

I believe most emo's I see around me end up being just kids like all others. It's just a phase and hopefully they'll grow out of it one day. So obviously I find the persecution that took place in Mexico to be totally unacceptable.
Civilized people know when to ignore something that annoys them. Emo's are just not worth the trouble, leave them be.

Huh how many civilised poeple live into this planete not so many and I agree better tahy are around I can laf about emo... thank God eno are week and dont attack to metalheads

Power are in boots boots n steel n Dr. Martens XD
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2008 - 14:43
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
There's so much stupid there that I've got a headache.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.04.2008 - 17:12
Buggy
Account deleted
Written by Nox Lux on 02.04.2008 at 06:49

Dude you're like a worse version of me.

All of this is completely obvious and rehashed textbook moral code.

Btw, some emos don't suffer at all and that is the nucleus of the frustration people have with them [an admittedly generalised one, albeit]. People get irritated by these whiney spoilt posers with functional families and reasonably promising after-school options that spend their time talking about some vague pain based on a temporary and teen-angst driven relationship and/or turmoil that even they know time, common sense and maturity/growth will heal. The self-indulgence and poor-me attitude takes the piss out of every third world starving child in history, and is akin to the Grunge movement but less original, less genuine, with less of a history or back-story or half credible reason apart from boredom. A lot of the Grunge guys were from dead-end towns and from broken families and were deadbeat junkies before they were famous, Generation X was real and they really didn't fit into the overall plan the previous generation had decided for them. They were cheated by their parents who promised to change the world, and by their government's newfound love of corporate identity and corporate based capitalism and hidden conservatism. They really were the first generation to have nothing to protest, nothing to unify about - whether good or bad - nothing to celebrate and nothing to drive for. They were optionless due to governments recovering from stupid foreign policies and idiotic war-based and budget-based decisions. They were cultureless due to the ever-widening generation gap born from baby boomers starting families later on as they were enjoying their bohemian lifestyles for longer and longer. Cultureless also due to the rapid decline in entertainment based spending, and the evil creation of corporate-based supposed 'youth culture' such as MTV. This is where the sudden explosion of fanzines and indie record labels came from: as I said above, the fact that they were victims of corporate based identity and capitalism.
In the time of Generation Y there's really no excuse for these white bread supplementary fad-mongers. Although Corporations are more rife than ever before, we've never had an age of such mass networking, of so many scene options, of so many indie based publications. However I will admit that it's not good enough. That they are slowly one by one being combatted through mergers devised by major record exec's [the phrase "let me make you an offer you cannot refuse" springs to mind] - the Rupert Murdochs of this world. That amongst the constantly growing "our way is best" calls it is becoming easier to segregate, easier to define with one and pitch against the other. Easier to feel overwhelmed by the ruthless media attacks of over-information and celebrity worship and just say 'Fuck it.' That it's easier to abandon the prevalent need for unity within sub-culture and to just allow the wave of apathy to submerse.
I just wish that the scene that would bring every whiney kid to an enlightened realisation and purpose...that the sub-culture that would rise against and dare to recreate the solidarity of passion and freedom that was the 60's...that the common grounds that would give every person the right to explore feelings, ideas and questioning in a rational, intelligent and selfless way was just a little more inspired and socially/politically aware than the pathetic label-churned pre-packaged rebellion-for-the-masses uber-arrogant faux-teen-angst-ridden putrid filthy drivel that is called 'emo.'

I am completely against violence in all it's forms. I do not condone what these guys did, and are unfortunately still doing, in any way shape or form. This is merely a reaction to the supposedly empathetic view of emo being about poor kids feeling pain and suffering..

It's pretty amazing that you've written such a long and articulate reply based on such a gross misunderstanding and trivialization of the contents of my post. It's hard to tell wether your criticism was serious or in jest, therefore I am going to assume the worst and demand pardon in case your opening comments were more empathetic than contemptuous. In fact, after dismissing what I wrote as reharsed bollox altogether, you never once referred to it or even tried to assess some of its points directly. Let me do it in your stead. You look down on my "textbook moral code", and yet you try to drive a point home with what has to be the most inappropriately overabused argument of the millennia: third world's starving youth... : Sorry but it just doesn't work that way, otherwise pretty much every social problem in our societies could be dismissed as irrelevant and blown out of proportions in comparison. Personal suffering and distress aren't proportional to the hardships of one's environment. Which brings us back to my previous intervention: you apparently (again, pretty unclear wether you were still referring to it in your closing lines) summarized it as an "empathetic view of emo being about poor kids feeling pain and suffering", when in fact I openly stated I refuse to think in terms of such specious categorizations, and invited others to do so. You snubbed this wakeup call as "obvious" and yet you amply showed you are still subject to stereotyped thinking, going as far as providing us with the domestic and personal situation of the "average" emo. No, I wouldn't consider the emo phenomenon (a prepackaged, corporate made subculture, as you correctly pointed out) a positive, worthy way of expressing and dealing with your teenage angst, but then again, who are we to say what cathartic effect it may have on people in time (you said it yourself most of them grow out of it eventually)? Ridiculing, demonizing, and despising these already confused teenagers will only legitimize their percieved victimization, of all things. Instead, what I suggested is that behind every emo fringe, eye makeup and phony depression there is a real, individual person with his own problems and the potential to be much more than that. Obvious, you say? Scroll back and take a look at the previous posts, mate, so many people fail to grasp the obvious here...
02.04.2008 - 17:20
Nox Lux
codebreaker
bollox....I suppose I have to read all that now. Okay, well I'm fvcking tired, I've been composing a piece that I can't play for two hours and posting news for a further two, so I'll get to this post and whatever random and self-righteous arguments you've conjured up tomorrow.
----

~ Nox Lux
02.04.2008 - 18:09
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Okay, maybe this will do. I didn't wait till tomorrow in the end. It's not that well articulated but the concepts speak for themselves. I'm all written out, and just wanted to get this over with:

You backtracked your own argument by letting it slip that their depression IS phony and that they will grow out of it.
I also did not say in anyway that they would grow out of any particular emo phase. I said that they deal with problems in a self-indulgent way and playing the victim card when they know themselves that they could just let time and maturity do the healing. There's a difference. I'm saying that they're wrong for choosing the wrong outlook. I'm saying not that they eventually grow out of it - the frustration lies in the fact that they do NOT use these methods at all. They may get older and realise they were dumb, sure, but when it comes to the instances going on in their lives right now? I said that they know they could deal with it one way but choose to deal with it another way (to re-word for hopes of extra clarity.) I was thinking about the moments themselves at the time and how they choose to react to them.

You were right about the fact that they're teenagers though, and that all teenagers do this in one form or another. That's exactly why I used the Grunge scene comparison. Fair enough on the third world starving kids argument-blasting. I guess that was a little lame...

But you gotta admit mate, everything you said wasn't anything we didn't already know - and said in such a self-righteous and over the top way as well. It's not like the whole thread was full of MSers saying they agreed with the bashings or anything. Where's all this demonizing and despising you're going on about? Now who's generalising?

On topic of generalisations, there is an average emo - that's what a trend is. It's a group of people all doing the same thing wearing the same clothes, listening to the same music etc. If there was no such thing as an average emo, there wouldn't be any such thing as emo!
Right after criticising generalisations, you then did the same thing yourself when talking about their 'phony' depression, by how they can be more than that. This was another part that was incredibly cliched, obvious and rehashed. Everyone can always be something more. This argument is about what they are. Having hopes for the future is one thing. Going around telling people they can be more is just offensive, arrogant, and in some respects, clearly stating the obvious - that's why it's rehashed. Do you think that everyone on this thread honestly thinks that all these kids have reached their optimum potential? Even by agreeing with me on the pre-packaged stuff - you generalised their whole culture and judged their whole value system right after telling us all that we should not and don't have the right to do so. I know you were agreeing with me, but on this area it's either all or nothing. You can't say all that stuff about 'who are we to..' this and 'who are we' that and then blatantly agree with me on a harsh judgement that spans the entire movement! At least I backed mine up!
Oh, and who are we to say what the effect is? I tell you who we are - we're fvcking older. We've already done it and know what the pointlessness of it is - remember, I started the whole statement off by telling you why people are frustrated with them. I don't want them to pretend they're something they're not. I just compared them with Grunge because that WASN'T pre-packaged corporate crap. I'm pissed off with the exploitation of the movement, and with the stupidity of the kids that are blindly following it and aren't even realising it. There really is no excuse because the kids today are more media savvy, they're more cynical and to put it frankly: they're supposed to be better than that. They're supposed to be smarter than Generation X. They're supposed to be more fvcking switched on.

It's a scientific fact that each new generation has 100,000 more brain cells than the last. You my friend literally have 200,000 more brain cells than your grandmother. I feel that the speed of Evolution on a social level needs to start reflecting the speed of physical evolution. And much like you and your cliches about individualism and quazi-understanding, this trend is just rehashing bits and bobs from everything else and slapping the label 'Pain' on it for bigger ratings. Reminds me of Korn for fvck's sake.

And now to finish off on a point I feel is salient, I'll return back to your problem with generalising:

The world is full of easily decipherable patterns that provide us with the tools we need to read people, situations and even arguments. To derive understanding, the power of prediction and analysis and the necessary instinctive prompts to gauge everything from safety to trust to common sense. Now come on mate, be serious, if a huge group of people all look the same and sport the same fringes and moan about the same shit and talk the same way and listen to the same music and even feel the same emotions!?....simultaneously!? I think it's a fair fvcking cop to say that that is a decipherable pattern from which one should be granted the occasional allowance to generalise about!

Stop overly touting the individuality about it. No one can talk about anything in the universe if we constantly referred to the relativity of everything all the fvcking time.

I had my cheap argument [the third world thing] and this one was yours.

----

~ Nox Lux
02.04.2008 - 21:26
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Screw y'alls big arguments. Simple answer: leave people alone. Love your neighbor as yourself, treat others as you would want to be treated. End of story.
02.04.2008 - 23:59
Pinusar
Account deleted
That's ridiculous. All these emo kids seem to be some pseudo-problem created by ignorant metalheads who want to show how tough they are. I can understand if someone doesn't like emo because of, for example, hypocrisy being from well-off families and so on. But going emo-hunting?
03.04.2008 - 01:40
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Guest on 02.04.2008 at 21:26

Screw y'alls big arguments. Simple answer: leave people alone. Love your neighbor as yourself, treat others as you would want to be treated. End of story.

Dude thanks. After all that bullshit I really need to hear it put clearly and simply not even being sarcastic. That guy can have the last word whatever he says, he's simply tired me the fvck out!

To Buggy and anyone who's been following the argument - due to the benefit of hindsight, I was initially going to post my reply as a PM to Buggy so as not to offend anyone. I decided to leave it so that the argument was all there to see. I feel the need to re-iterate that I honestly don't agree with what has happened, and what this anti-emo movement is about. It's disgusting and pathetic. I just felt the need to argue from the point of people who are getting frustrated with the self-indulgent negativity of this emo craze. I feel that Buggy and I have made some interesting and above all universally true arguments/outlooks. I feel we have accidentally represented both outlooks supremely [if you pardon me blowing my own trumpet ]. I realise that while I am touching on some good points, I may have been a bit harsh in some respects. Perhaps it just hits a nerve...as it seems to with so many others, no less. While I feel most of his argument goes without saying, and was put in a very self-righteous way, my anti-corporate statement was hardly original either. I guess in the modern world there really isn't any such thing as truly original thought. Nonetheless it doesn't need to be an original thought. What was said on both sides counts as a legitimate statement that a lot of people can and do identify with. Most would probably say they agree with both sides in their own way. At least that is the sentiment that comforts me.
That is my final word on this matter. Although I will still love to read anything further from Buggy.

Screw y'alls big arguments indeed.
----

~ Nox Lux
04.04.2008 - 02:02
Buggy
Account deleted
sorry dude, I just rcieved a new game I had been waiting for a long time and my computer time has been pretty absorbed with that.
I promise I will post my reply tomorrow though...
04.04.2008 - 06:03
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Guest on 02.04.2008 at 23:59

But going emo-hunting?

Ya, didn't you hear? It's the biggest thing since hunting wabbits.
Even Elmer Fudd does it now. This is him last week after a hunt->

I think we should do it too. I mean, if Elmer did. I'm srs, we should just pack lunches and go hair extension pulling. You kick and I'll steal their makeup. Because this...this is serious business.
04.04.2008 - 17:34
Uller
The hunting was made for young stupid rich kids that hates an emo group in queretaro, for stupid "cultural" and territory issues, it has nothing to do with metal, its jus about a dyeing society that begs for a change and its name is capitalism....
----
04.04.2008 - 19:27
Buggy
Account deleted
Grab your pillows and your coffee, cause here we go!

Written by Nox Lux on 02.04.2008 at 18:09

You backtracked your own argument by letting it slip that their depression IS phony and that they will grow out of it.
I also did not say in anyway that they would grow out of any particular emo phase. I said that they deal with problems in a self-indulgent way and playing the victim card when they know themselves that they could just let time and maturity do the healing. There's a difference. I'm saying that they're wrong for choosing the wrong outlook.

I don't think I backtracked my argument by doing that. Imo the whole controversy here was caused by you interpreting my post as some kind of pro-emo manifesto. It really wasn't. Truth be told, I couldn't care less about emo. Yes, it's prepackaged, corporate crap fed to teenagers in order to provide them with a controllable simulacrum of rebellion, effectively preventing them from developing a real sense of identity and personal/political awareness, and therefore from forming a cultural movement capable of challenging the social establishment on multiple levels, as the 68 generation did (as you mentioned).
But so is the supposed metal "culture", or "community" (OUCH! Please zealots of the hammer, go easy on me...). And one of the dictates of this cockstrong charade (at least in some of its fringes) is that to be a real metalhead, you gotta hate emos. Dividi et impera, even the romans knew this. Divide and rule. Separated subjects caught up in petty internal squabbles are easily controllable subjects. More than that, in this case, they are DUMB subjects.
This is why here, in a board filled with metal teens, I felt the need to invite others to give up this postiche sense of identity and get over this restrictive, ready-made categorized thinking (emos vs metalheads, metalheads vs goths, etc...). I could write the same thing in reverse on an emo board.
My original post wasn't of course addressed to people like you, who have clearly already developed an (all too vigilant, I might add) critical attitude and judgement. In that respect, I still think it was worthy of being written.

Quote:
You were right about the fact that they're teenagers though, and that all teenagers do this in one form or another. That's exactly why I used the Grunge scene comparison.

The difference in worth you see between the grunge and emo movements could be due to the fact that we were only kids in the grunge days, and therefore we didn't experience the naivete and sheepflock behaviour of those day's youth first-hand.

Quote:
But you gotta admit mate, everything you said wasn't anything we didn't already know - and said in such a self-righteous and over the top way as well. It's not like the whole thread was full of MSers saying they agreed with the bashings or anything. Where's all this demonizing and despising you're going on about? Now who's generalising?

I already covered the obviousness issue. While it's true the thread wasn't full of people condoning or supporting the anti-emo witch hunt, here are some random quotes:

I really hate emo music, and also hate the emo kids lifestyle

Same here, i hate emos

have to say that if a rowdy mob asked me if I wanted to get drunk and go emo-lynching, I'd probably be down.

I hate those people, I hate smokers, religion, censorship and some stuff more

if i were drunk i'm sure i'd be more than happy to join in, just to scare a few of them, screaming loud and shit

As I said, I feel this "hate" so many people feel thowards emo's isn't genuine, justified adversity but rather an attempt to define and strenghten their identities by denigrating people percieved as different and possibly opposite (when in fact I belive origins for different "youth cultures" are much more common than not). I feel the case of the guy who hates "smokers, religion, emos and some stuff more" (censorship is a different matter) is especially illuminating in this respect. Why on earth would you hate smokers?! It's their life for christ's sake! Even despising them beforehand is amazingly idiotic. You don't know what prompted them to smoke, go emo or whatever in the first place. But I guess life is pretty reassuring when you are convinced everyone around you sucks ass. This is the whole meaning of my "don't generalize" argument. I can judge the emo fad, but I have no right to judge the actual people in it altogether unless I know them personally.
This said, in retrospect I think you were right, and there isn't all that much emo bashing in this thread. I suppose this was the weakest point of my argument. However, there is plenty of that to be found in other threads here, and in metal circles outside, so I guess I just saw this as an opportunity to vouch a feeling I had been brooding for some time...

I don't know about saying it in an over the top way, the opening lines (heed the word etc.) were more in jest than anything, but it's so hard to convoy humor over the internet, without the support of body language, tone and facial expressions.
Self-righteous? Well, yes, I think I know better than a lot of people about this. So do you. We have good reason to, as our reflections and personal experiences (as well as a few years of age) gave us some insight on the matter. I still don't feel I have been truly arrogant.

Here you go. And I forgot my pizza in the oven while writing this, so you've got some incinerated pepperoni on your conscience. Now this will take the piss out of every third world starving child in history... Shame on you!
04.04.2008 - 21:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 04.04.2008 at 19:27

if i were drunk i'm sure i'd be more than happy to join in, just to scare a few of them, screaming loud and shit

i already said i can see the overflowing stupidity of such an act, but i have to reply to this..

i wasn't saying this because i hate emo's(in fact they are quite rare around here and already stereotyped and looked down upon, a truly bad thing as there are people who've never seen one but still fuck around just to look good, i'd never want to be put in the same basket with those kinds of douches).

but hey, about the being drunk thing, at least i'm honest about it
05.04.2008 - 13:32
Darky
Account deleted
Woah.. this is.. insanely funny.
13.04.2008 - 19:36
belisarius
why kill them if they already slit their wrists themselves?
(don't be mad, i have a sadistic kind of humor)
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
16.04.2008 - 05:37
Hyvaarin
Written by belisarius on 13.04.2008 at 19:36

why kill them if they already slit their wrists themselves?
(don't be mad, i have a sadistic kind of humor)

Seems to have been a problem with your English - the term that you're looking for is actually "lame".
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
16.04.2008 - 15:43
villain
1st EMOs , then Goths, then nu metalllers, then metalcore people .. should go on
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
16.04.2008 - 16:02
Hangar XVIII
In my opinion, emo is pretty much over. It was big with 8th graders 2 years ago, but once I got into high school it dissapeared. It just splintered into a bunch of other little scene fads, and most former emo kids either became indie or denied that they were once emo. Now I don't know about you guys, but where I am, emo is dead.
And we're probably better off without it.

It's kind of funny, because I've noticed a lot of metalheads who get labelled as emo by misunderstanding peers, when the two labels couldn't be more different. Couldn't we just forget about appearance, and preconcieved notions of people, and labels, and album covers, and clothing, and just listen to the music for once? Jesus, grouping all emo music and people into one label is terrible. If I asked most people what an emo kid was ten years ago, they would have said goth.
Let's stop worrying if emo in general is lame or not, and judge each song by it's sound instead of it's style.

Oh, and just for the record, most of it sounds terrible.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
16.04.2008 - 17:54
_HIV_
i hate emo people (if i can call them that) and their music ... but if they leave me alone i dont break their bones
17.04.2008 - 02:03
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
this is a disgrace