Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
28.04.2008 - 00:12
Replicant
My Opeth order:
1. Deliverance
2. Still Life
3. Morningrise
4. Watershed
5. Damnation
6. Blackwater Park
7. Ghost Reveries
8. Orchid
9. My Arms, Your Hearse

I do miss the style of Morningrise/Orchid a little however, some tracks like The Night and the Silent Water are among my favourites.
28.04.2008 - 03:27
ß
Problem?
Im currently listening to the new cd and I must say its quite good. Yet another Opeth cd that I like not really a surprise though.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
28.04.2008 - 09:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 27.04.2008 at 23:37

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.04.2008 at 23:04

I'm in the 0%... Because the image is great.. but the letter [not the Opeth logo] suck balls.
and the pic doesn't reflect the songs that I heard so far...

I don't know what to think about the new songs...

I agree, that album title on the cover is cheesy as hell. Overused font too. I personally think it would've looked better without a title and just the logo, but that's just me.

As for the songs, they're pretty standard Opeth. Which, for me, means that it's good, but nothing to freak out over. But good nonetheless. I'm just saddened that the Progressive Nation tour isn't coming anywhere close to I live.

I completely agree about the cover... I think that's what I missed. The cover is great but the letter from the word "Watershed" were just plain bad... The image IS good. But like you said without the title it could be way better.

And as for the music... I disagree... For me GR was a very huge turn off for me. They changed their way to play and even sing [the growls sounds a bit overproduced and without feeling IMO]... and that's not something that I care a lot. But it's feels like Opeth doesn't play anymore the music that makes them... Opeth
I hope that you can understand what I mean with that... I just don't feeling the Opeth-ness and that's something sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad for me because Opeth was the band that changed my view of metal and even music.

I think that the only way that I can like or even love the new stuff... is to pretend that it's just another band, not Opeth.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.04.2008 - 15:13
baldur
Written by Guest on 27.04.2008 at 21:55

Written by Guest on 27.04.2008 at 19:41

Written by baldur on 27.04.2008 at 15:18

to whom belongs this beautiful female voice on coil?

The name is Jens Bogren. She's helped mix and produce many albums like Ghost Reveries, With Oden On Our Side and Slania

Is that true? As far as i know it's someone called Nathalie.

Nathalie Lorichs thats the name that i also read in the net
hm confusion
28.04.2008 - 17:39
Reverie
Hell yeah, I downloaded the whole album before it was on sale xD

I must say it's great, I loved it. It reminds me a bit of that old progressive, you know, those first ones. It has some of that, it's so great, I can't stop to listen to it. Hope you like it too =) You can go to youtube, someone told me there is the whole album to listen. I downloaded it by torrent. I really recommend it.
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
28.04.2008 - 17:41
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.04.2008 at 09:08

I completely agree about the cover... I think that's what I missed. The cover is great but the letter from the word "Watershed" were just plain bad... The image IS good. But like you said without the title it could be way better.

And as for the music... I disagree... For me GR was a very huge turn off for me. They changed their way to play and even sing [the growls sounds a bit overproduced and without feeling IMO]... and that's not something that I care a lot. But it's feels like Opeth doesn't play anymore the music that makes them... Opeth
I hope that you can understand what I mean with that... I just don't feeling the Opeth-ness and that's something sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad for me because Opeth was the band that changed my view of metal and even music.

I think that the only way that I can like or even love the new stuff... is to pretend that it's just another band, not Opeth.

No I understand, but for me, Opeth has never been "that amazingly emotional" band. They've always just kind of been an "okay" band for me.
----
The force will be with you, always.
28.04.2008 - 18:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 28.04.2008 at 17:41

No I understand, but for me, Opeth has never been "that amazingly emotional" band. They've always just kind of been an "okay" band for me.

I know that... But it's not the music... It's just, think about a band that you loved so much, but suddenly the whole thing changed and you just don't know how or why it happened.
That's quite depresing for me... because I'm really sensitive with the music that I listen to...specially with bands that maded something special for me.

And Opeth fucked up the whole thing on GR and I don't know why.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.04.2008 - 19:02
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.04.2008 at 18:47

Written by Clintagräm on 28.04.2008 at 17:41

I know that... But it's not the music... It's just, think about a band that you loved so much, but suddenly the whole thing changed and you just don't know how or why it happened.
That's quite depresing for me... because I'm really sensitive with the music that I listen to...specially with bands that maded something special for me.

And Opeth fucked up the whole thing on GR and I don't know why.

Oh well man, bands change. In my opinion there are loads of better bands than Opeth, but they might be your favorite band but like you said they changed. I would just say give the album more time (it's not even released yet I don't think) or just put up with it. Metal doesn't begin and end with Opeth.
----
The force will be with you, always.
28.04.2008 - 19:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I know that. I have a lot of bands that I check out every single day... Like I said, their music it's not important to me... just the feelings and some personal memories.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.04.2008 - 11:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Wow... I could never leave a band behind because of one record, otherwise I wouldnt be a fan of any band, because of all them fail at one particular point. Yet, Opeth didnt, lets hope they keep it that way and if they dont, well I'll love them still.

But I do get your point, we have different perspectives on music and bands.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.04.2008 - 18:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 29.04.2008 at 11:17

Wow... I could never leave a band behind because of one record, otherwise I wouldnt be a fan of any band, because of all them fail at one particular point. Yet, Opeth didnt, lets hope they keep it that way and if they dont, well I'll love them still.

Naaaaa, I'm not that extremist it's just a way to talk. Rhapsody owned and I still like their first albums.jajajajajaj... My "Opeth-problem" is just because I miss cds from Morningrise to Blackwater Park sooo much... That I used to bann all the thing that weren't like the albums I'd say before.

Anyway, I started to listen to GR again... I don't want to loose the opinion that I have for Opeth, you know.
The album turned to something good... It's still the "least good" album by Opeth... But now, I can't call it crap or something even worse like I did before jejeje
Some songs got my respect, but the keyboards are still difficult to get into... But I have the feeling that it's gonna be better...

GR is the number 1 from the list of "The hardest cds to get into, by Mr. Doctor".... @_____@
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.04.2008 - 23:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Hmmm I agree about it paradise Lost, Katathonia, Bethelem, those band shas some good albums but other are crap but I still love em because of PAST
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2008 - 01:24
addiction
haha quite differnt opinions here...i respect all of them more or less, apart from someone recommending to download the album....i am not against downloading but to recommend people to download an opeth album in the opeth thread is a bit....(put a fitting word here).....

i havent listened to the new album and i will not until it comes out and i buy it! that day will be a happy one!

also i saw them on saturday, which was fucking great!!! they rule!!! seriously....and i heard one of the new songs live and i loved it!

as far as the discussion you people had here about them changing and even 'fucking it up' on GR.....i completely disagree....i respect your opinion, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with changing and experimenting on your 8th!!!! release.....if you dont like the new stuff thats ok....you have another 7 albums to listen to....that should be more than enough....i personally love the fact that they always put out good albums that are interesting to listen to and always keeping a certain level to their music! they do everything a band should do perfectly! and thats why i love them...:)
----
alive in the superunknown
30.04.2008 - 09:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by addiction on 30.04.2008 at 01:24

haha quite differnt opinions here...i respect all of them more or less, apart from someone recommending to download the album....i am not against downloading but to recommend people to download an opeth album in the opeth thread is a bit....(put a fitting word here).....

man elegal upload links here are forbideen if you see em, report to mods
----

apos;'
[image]
30.04.2008 - 10:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Bad English on 29.04.2008 at 23:20

Hmmm I agree about it paradise Lost, Katathonia, Bethelem, those band shas some good albums but other are crap but I still love em because of PAST

Exactly. Just look at In Flames, I love them although I think their latest albums are crap.
----

My Instagram
30.04.2008 - 11:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 30.04.2008 at 10:59

Exactly. Just look at In Flames, I love them although I think their latest albums are crap.

Yes we can love band albums but can hate band same about metallica
----

apos;'
[image]
30.04.2008 - 11:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Bad English on 30.04.2008 at 11:01

Written by BloodTears on 30.04.2008 at 10:59

Yes we can love band albums but can hate band same about metallica

I thought about metallica as well, I will never take their patch from my bag because they suck at making albums now. Because they are so special and their songs make me shiver.
----

My Instagram
30.04.2008 - 18:44
CyberWasted
Account deleted
I've heard their soon to be released 'Watershed', and I have to say I am seriously FAR from disappointed. Yes Opeth continue to evolve their one band genre sound, with elements of folk and even Jazz. But still many heavy as hell moments. The opener 'Coil' is a angelic Folk inspired rock piece with Mikael even allowing singing duties to be performed by Sweden's singing angel: Nathalie Lorichs, who compliments the music and Mikael like breathing is to air. Beautiful. An Ominous rumbling and the raptue of 'Heir Apparent'. As heavy as anything Opeth have done before, spews forth in its intensity, but not without its own riff laden breaks intersplicing with the savagery. Lastly I'll comment on the 3rd track, ' The Lotus Eater' - blastbeats accompanying clean Mikael singing, truly original, then ferrocious double kick work, heavy classic death metal riffing, guttoral vocals, prog metal / rock influence slabs. (Very Opeth but very refreshing! ) I could crap on and on about the quality of this release, quite frankly I can't be assed talking to much about the rest other than to say the words Damnation, Ghost Reveries, Still life, mix, air out, then drown in Opeth original brilliance! If you love a bit of Opeth, then rest assured you will love 'Watershed'. Opeth have done it again!!!!!!!!!! Simply stunning!!!!
30.04.2008 - 22:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Well, I don't want to have that kind of opinion... about "hate th band and love the first albums"
Naaaaa, that's not for me... not with Opeth.
But that's just a personal opinion.

GR turned better when I listened to it for some days ago... I listened to it over and over again ands found that some melodies are not that bad as their were before... The thing finally started to change a little bit.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2008 - 22:35
Sunioj
I think the female vocals were really gay imo, but other than that it sounded pretty good. Though I'm not a huge fan of Opeth to begin with.
02.05.2008 - 02:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Sunioj on 30.04.2008 at 22:35

I think the female vocals were really gay imo, but other than that it sounded pretty good. Though I'm not a huge fan of Opeth to begin with.

Were talking about Watershed I assume? Ugh...more female vocals, Ive got nothing against them, but I dont see why so many bands think they are "Expanding their sound" by simply adding in a chick singer, just because your band adds in some melodic female vocals isn't going to make it groundbreakingly unique, many bands have done it, most have screwed up an otherwise enjoyable song by doing so *Cough*cough* Megadeth*.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.05.2008 - 03:42
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Watershed is definitely a step in the right direction for Opeth's sound. It's still Opeth, there aren't any drastic changes, but the keyboard is now moving to a central position in their music. The female singer is there for what, 30 seconds? I don't understand the big deal everyone is making her out to be... besides it's just an intro to "Heir Apparent" which features no clean vocals at all (happy?) IMO: I would say this album is their best work since "Still Life" - a great balance of musical styles, great production, lots of interesting and memorable moments, lots of progressive influence.
02.05.2008 - 10:49
Sunioj
Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2008 at 02:18

Were talking about Watershed I assume? Ugh...more female vocals, Ive got nothing against them, but I dont see why so many bands think they are "Expanding their sound" by simply adding in a chick singer, just because your band adds in some melodic female vocals isn't going to make it groundbreakingly unique, many bands have done it, most have screwed up an otherwise enjoyable song by doing so *Cough*cough* Megadeth*.

I agree, I really don't think her voice is that great either. I generally don't like these 'duet' type of songs because sometimes they seemed forced to sound powerful, unique, or emotive. Not that I have something against female vocals, but sometimes it just varies so much from the rest of the album that it almost doesn't fit IMO.
02.05.2008 - 17:05
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just listened to the new album yesterday. Didn't find it anything special. It's likeable but not brilliant, but then I've never been a big fan of Opeth, so that might be it.
I don't get the fuss about the female singer...as Introspekrieg said just up above: she's there for less than a minute...in the intro. So what?!
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
02.05.2008 - 18:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm gona wait until June, but everone seems to be telling me its more doom oriented, thats what one of my friends told me today, I don't know what to think but I try not to think about it much until I listen to it. He said it had a damnation feel with a doom approach.
----

My Instagram
02.05.2008 - 20:50
Evil Chip
To start enjoying the kind of material from Ghost Of Reveries you have to enjoy progressive music like pink floyd, roger waters, dream theater, etc. Those are great influences of Mikael and all of them use keyboard. I have the feeling that Opeth is getting better with the years because they are exploring and adding more elements to their music. Progressive bands often change between album to album and that's what is interesting about it. If Opeth would release a Blackwater Park II the most probably thing is that it won't be as good as the original.
02.05.2008 - 20:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I do that Opeth are a different kind of band, and I think the same about a lot of bands I love. The have something thats only them, and they are unique.
----

My Instagram
03.05.2008 - 04:03
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
they're great to have a smoke while listening
04.05.2008 - 03:17
Colony
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.04.2008 at 21:55

Written by Guest on 27.04.2008 at 19:41

Written by baldur on 27.04.2008 at 15:18

to whom belongs this beautiful female voice on coil?

The name is Jens Bogren. She's helped mix and produce many albums like Ghost Reveries, With Oden On Our Side and Slania

Is that true? As far as i know it's someone called Nathalie.

From what I gather it's who I said.........you could just wait until the album comes out and find out then
07.05.2008 - 16:20
Rimfrost
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2008 at 22:25

Those two albums and with the dvd are killers... But Orchid, even if it's not my favorite album of Opeth... The flower is just... so Opeth-ish [lol]
I will kill for a t-shirt whit that flower...

I think they have them at plastichead.com.
Dessutom såg jag några på Sound Pollution i Stockholm om du bor där eller har vägarna förbi.