Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

17.05.2006 - 05:23
Endoftherainbow
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
17.05.2006 - 05:41
meTalcoholic
Written by Endoftherainbow on 17.05.2006 at 05:23

One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.

I love them too. Allen does have the best voice ever. Actually I love the album made by Allen and Lande called The Battle. But that's off topic. I really can't compare Symphony X to Dream Theater, they are both Prog, but they are so different. My favorite Symphony X song is still Awakenings.
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
17.05.2006 - 06:01
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Indeed Symphony and Dream Theater are different IMO Symphony X tends to be a little bit more epic and powerish than DT and have a different approach to progressiveness I love both bands and i consider that SX has some really awesome songs my all time favorite would have to be THE ODDYSEY i think its one of the best orchestrated metal song ive ever heard (in fact i listened it today althou i couldnt leave the car even when i got home due to its length well above 20 min if im not wrong)
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
30.05.2006 - 16:28
Dam3k
This is one of my favourite bands that "epic" touch that the power/symphonic elements put on their style are awesome!!! Is one of the best progressive metal bands atm
----

31.05.2006 - 11:45
#~|CoP Return|~#
Account deleted
Written by meTalcoholic on 17.05.2006 at 05:41

Written by Endoftherainbow on 17.05.2006 at 05:23

I love them too. Allen does have the best voice ever. Actually I love the album made by Allen and Lande called The Battle. But that's off topic. I really can't compare Symphony X to Dream Theater, they are both Prog, but they are so different. My favorite Symphony X song is still Awakenings.

There I must Disagree Freddy Mercury had the best voice ever and will have it for a long time!

But in the metal scene yes, Russel Allen has the best voice IMO! Being a guitar player/singer/composer He is quite a mentor for me at the vocals... He is so powerful and so magic! Plus hehas the advantage of singing better live than on the studio albums! I don't know if people here ever went to a Symphony X' concert but Allen when he is in form gives a might strong performance live!!!

Symphony X is indeed on my top ten bands ever, at the guitar (yes he may be fat and ugly) Michael Romeo is a fucking amazing guy!!! his shreds will stay in the history of metal! He's so fucking quick! the band released really great album except the first maybe which was a little under i think. Their best IMO was V: The New mythology Suite! This is is amazing!

But quite weridly my favourite song of them is on their album 'Live on the Edge of Forever' : Of Sins And Shadows... Rusell on that one is just ******** there are no words... he gives one of the best perofrmance at the voals the metal will ever know... A really nice band but annoying with their last album it's been so long that they are in studio and nothing is released yet...
31.05.2006 - 11:51
#~|CoP Return|~#
Account deleted
And for the comparison They are not far superior as Dream Theater because they are not playing the same stuff!

Symphony X play prog/power even can sometimes being qualified of Epic with songs like The Odyssey!

Dream Theater are in the pure Prog !

So The two bands are not comparable for their style of music but it's just a matter of taste but if you make a guy to guy comparison Dream Theater is way in front Imo!

Rusell Allen hammers James Labrie at the vocals no problem, Petrucci is better than Romeo for me because he ads more emotion to his play than Romeo, at the drums no One beats Mike Portnoy, and at the bass and keyboards Myung takes the lead and Pinella and Rudess are quite as the samel level!

but it is in fact a matter of taste too I don't like the comparison everyone makes about the band because they are both great and shouldn't be in competition ...
02.06.2006 - 05:41
MetalSpider
One of my favourite bands thats for sure. Their style is unique, they havent put out a bad album. Every member is extrememly talented. Russel Allen is one of the best vocalists in metal.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
25.06.2006 - 22:48
Pianoman
Account deleted
The best metal singer ever are Bruce Dickinson and Andre Matos.

Talking about symphony x i don't really know much about them but i had listen some songs like: evolution, sea of lies, inferno, the odissey.
All this song are fucking awesome and they are much better than dream theater (that is so complex). Symphony x is so much catchy than dream theater.
Could you recommend me some symphony x songs?
26.06.2006 - 05:17
Danigar
Yay!! This is one of my favourites bands ever!! I love that prog feeling added to the epic - powerish metal, its so great. And yeah i love Rusell voice a lot, its very powerfull and i love the way he can changes, like becoming more agressive like in some songs of the Odyssey. I love all their albums, but my favourite maybe is The Divine Wings Of Tragedy since it was my first one, the one that introduced me to this incredible band. Recomending one song its pretty hard though since there are a lot, but try the epic ones since they show they brilliance like DWOT or how about Smoke and Mirrors.
29.06.2006 - 00:55
Pianoman
Account deleted
Rusell Allen hammers James Labrie at the vocals no problem, Petrucci is better than Romeo for me because he ads more emotion to his play than Romeo, at the drums no One beats Mike Portnoy, and at the bass and keyboards Myung takes the lead and Pinella and Rudess are quite as the samel level!

Rudess is for far worst than Pinella (I play keyboard).
Rudess is only good and technic but is doesnt put so emotion.
By the way Pinella is better in the technic and feeling.
29.06.2006 - 05:19
MetalSpider
Petrucci may be technically better, but I think Romeo is a much better songwriter. Emotion wise, I think Romeo is more emotional, but the both of them arent the most emotional when it comes to guitar player.
----

29.06.2006 - 07:23
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Youve got to realise that they play two very distinct styles. Romeo is predominantly a neoclassical shred guitarist while Petrucci isnt.
29.06.2006 - 15:55
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I used to really love Symphony X back when I was really prog-ho...I used to really worship their music and all...I still think that they are talented musicians and all but their brand of neo-classical progressive power metal is old news by now...
29.06.2006 - 19:29
MetalSpider
Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 07:23

Youve got to realise that they play two very distinct styles. Romeo is predominantly a neoclassical shred guitarist while Petrucci isnt.

Well yeah, and that too.
----

31.07.2006 - 09:54
Aresius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 00:55

Rudess is for far worst than Pinella (I play keyboard).
Rudess is only good and technic but is doesnt put so emotion.
By the way Pinella is better in the technic and feeling.

wtf? by technical standards The Odyssey is a masterpiece...Michael Romeo may be one of the best guitar players in the whole world...way better than Petrucci...have you seen Romeo live? he really gets the crowd involved...Symphony X are really good entertainers...they also play their songs differently live to whats on the studio recordings, which is great, cause bands such as Dream Theater usually just stand there and just play their music without saying anything playing their songs live exactly the same way as they do on the record...even though Dream Theater is a quite good band, they can be so boring to watch live sometimes...but anyways, Michael Romeo is the best...great tapping and alternate picking technique...I cant believe it, you're one of those guys who thinks Portnoy is God...he is not that good my friend...there are thousands of drummers out there who are way better than him...and sorry to tell ya, but Myung is shit...I used to play bass...Jaco Pastorius, Michael Manring, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten...those are real bass players...Myung sucks ass...so as Ruddess...well, actually he is quite good...but Pinella's "Enter by the Twelfth Gate"...well, you get the idea...

31.07.2006 - 10:03
Wo0dy
Account deleted
MICHAEL ROMEO, best fat guitarist i know of.. but yeah Symphony X is a quality band to listen to
31.07.2006 - 17:37
Soliloquy
i dont get one thing...i mean, their album 'V' has that 'lacrimosa' theme going on after almost every song. and lacrimosa is one of mozarts songs. so i'm just wondering why the band never gave mozart ANY credit what so ever?

othe rhtan that, i personnaly like romeo more than petrucci. it sucks that no one knows romeo half as much as petrucci!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
31.07.2006 - 19:29
Bitch Boy
One my my favorite bands. Obviously SX and DT have no comparison between them, because as all of you have said, DT is pure prog, while SX is more symphonic and with a taste of power. These symphonic and power elements make SX a very unique band and one of the best, in my opinion (unique until the arrival of such bands like Adagio). My fav album is V and my fav song is Communion and the oracle.

BTW Michael Romeo is a very good guitarrist, but I think Petrucci is better.
31.07.2006 - 23:16
Pianoman
Account deleted
I bought yesterday The Divine Wings of Tragedy and it really surprised me in the good way. Rusell Alen has the best voice in progressive metal. I mean he really puts emotion to the songs like in the accolade, sea of lies and of sins and shadows. I really like the way Pinella plays keyboard, he puts tecnic and feelig at the same time and thats a thing that not a lot of keyboard players do. Im agree that Mike Portnoy is not so great in drums but Rullo isn´t a master by the way. Between both I prefer Mike Portnoy. For me the best drummer is Aquiles Priester of Angra. In the emotive way I prefer a lot more Symphony x. All the albums of Symphony x without Symphony x are awesomes. For me DT has only two awesome albums that are Scenes from a memory, Images and Words. Talking about tecnic Romeo is better than Petrucci but I like more Petrucci. In the bass I prefer the one of Symphony x in every sense.
I already bought Divine Womgs of Tragedy what other can you recommend me to have in mind.
01.08.2006 - 01:31
Endoftherainbow
If you're going to check out some more Symphony X try to get the album V: The New Mythology Suite and the album Twilight In Olympus. Those are there two next best albums IMO. If you like those two albums then I'd check out the Damnation Game and the Odyssey. The last album I would get by them in there self titled because it's not quite as good as the other albums in the vocal department because they didn't have Russell Allen yet but musically it's still a great album I'd love to hear them play The Raging Seasons because it's one of my favorite songs by them and it'd be over the top with Russell Allen on vocals.
01.08.2006 - 01:33
Endoftherainbow
Written by Soliloquy on 31.07.2006 at 17:37

i dont get one thing...i mean, their album 'V' has that 'lacrimosa' theme going on after almost every song. and lacrimosa is one of mozarts songs. so i'm just wondering why the band never gave mozart ANY credit what so ever?

othe rhtan that, i personnaly like romeo more than petrucci. it sucks that no one knows romeo half as much as petrucci!

Yeah they credit him in the album booklet aswell as they give him some credit on there website in the FAQ.
01.08.2006 - 16:11
Soliloquy
/\ dude, i was reading the booklet, they didnt mention him at all. i dont knwo about the online FAQ's, but yeah, i read the booklet twice, and didnt find it in the credits. unless i misread it or soemthing?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
06.08.2006 - 06:17
blakemcc
Account deleted
I think that Symphony X blows every prog metal band out there...yeah i like alot of them..but they deffinetly are the best...Michael Romeo is a genius!
06.08.2006 - 08:45
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
They are a really great band,more than just prog metal though. A lot of power and neoclassical sounds in there. Communion and the Oracle is my favorite song by them. I do really like the Accolade series,and of course the Divine Wings of Tragedy. One of the most talented bands out there, no doubt about that.
26.09.2006 - 11:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 06.08.2006 at 06:17

I think that Symphony X blows every prog metal band out there...yeah i like alot of them..but they deffinetly are the best...Michael Romeo is a genius!

I can agree and can not agree because I think its hard to tell witch prog. band are best, but if we talkingh about Odysey album, well the I gree so deep and poetical mytical album :bnger2: bTW its only wht I had from them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.09.2006 - 23:46
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
Symphony X Rocks!
They are a great and skilled band, but i think they can't be compared with dream theater...bot are prog, but not the same kind of prog.Symphony X has a neo-classical edge and Dream Theater, i think is more traditional prog,with bunch of diverses influences...but i absolutely agree with Russell Allen, he is THE Progressive metal singer
28.09.2006 - 00:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They don't take enough time during live performances to give that part of their entity good enough mention...I have seen them live three times now and every time that I saw them, the sound was poorly mixed; you could never hear Russel's voice clearly. Pinnella's keyboards never came through thoroughly enough. Also, they slop their way through a lot of songs and don't execute solos verbatim to the track on record...they were booed last year during GIGANTOUR when I saw them...they chose to do a set consisting of only short little songs (but I guess that it was because of the bands on the roster and how much time they had...) To make a long story short, I have yet to see an amazing performance by this band with proper production and proper live musicianship...Russel really gets the crowd going though and is very humourous during a live situation...he once stopped the band..he was like, flailing his arms around going 'hold on, hold on, one second...'...they all stopped and he took that time to say 'I'm...so...drunk!'...the audience roared and then he went '1-2-3-4...!'
28.09.2006 - 00:46
okt31
Account deleted
Indeed Symphony X are one of the best prog/power metal bands ever. Redemption and Fates Warning come close though. IMO nothing beats them (I mean SX) in their field. Excellent songwriting, some fantastic riffing, fabulous soloing, GODLY vocals, and the rhythm section is very talented.. aaaaaand not to forget Mr. Pinella's tasty keyboards.
Fine band, one of my favourites ever!!
26.10.2006 - 11:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 31.07.2006 at 10:03

MICHAEL ROMEO, best fat guitarist i know of.. but yeah Symphony X is a quality band to listen to

hahaha agree even how thay playb even who play but thay just can not sound bed and tahy cant play bad whit quaility sound
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.10.2006 - 19:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
It still amazes me how he can move his fat fingers that fast as well as playing all those notes in those small frets with fat fingers like that...him and Yngwie actually....I guess I'll never know the answer...his videos are amazing...I have him doing soms solos from the Divine Wings Of Tragedy...anyone seen those?