Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:23
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
15.07.2007 - 08:18
HELLilac
I've been a big fan of the band for a while and Paradise Lost is another winner from them.

I was introduced to them by some recommendantions on AMAZON.COM. The first album I got was The Divine Wings of Tragedy but for some reason that album couldn't grab me. Then when V released I thought I'd give them another chance because I read some encouraging reviews and I was fascinated by the album's cover. It's that album that got me hooked and then when I got the Odyssey it has become one of my most favourite albums of all time.

I've bought Paradise Lost last week and been listenning to it ever since. Everything about it from the cover, the booklet, the concept and the music itself just so majestic. It's heavier and darker than their previous releases (and to me that's a plus) but there's never a dull moment on the cd.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
24.08.2007 - 06:46
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
it's no secret that I'm not much into prog, but "Paradise Lost" is simply awesome. i got it a few days a go, and I listenend from the beggining to teh end, something I had never been able to do with a prog album. i loved it. I felt it, and this is my very personal opinion, less prog and more power. And I loved the video tehy released, specially because it's not one of those crappy 2 dollar videos power metal bands do. It's agreat, video, for a great song, and a great band.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.08.2007 - 08:28
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
It seems the album has a big positive audience, i might make it my next album to pick up, sucks being tight on cash, im used to just buying albums left right and centre, not anymore though.
Ive only seen the video clip from one of the new songs, its pretty good, but id like to hear more.
26.08.2007 - 14:47
Storchillarn
The thing with Symphony X is that their music is much easier to get into than other Prog-metal bands of the Dream Theater-type (including DT^^). Paradise Lost is much less proggy and that'll make them more popular among people who aren't necessarily into the whole prog-metal genre. The best part is that SymX could play anything and still be kickass because they never get boring. I don't think they'll start playing extreme metal with Russ growling and gurgling but I do think they'll keep the formula of staying heavy while leaving the neoclassic parts in the background. No doubt they're still progressive but in a refreshing way. =)
26.08.2007 - 20:15
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Storchillarn on 26.08.2007 at 14:47

The thing with Symphony X is that their music is much easier to get into than other Prog-metal bands of the Dream Theater-type (including DT^^). Paradise Lost is much less proggy and that'll make them more popular among people who aren't necessarily into the whole prog-metal genre. The best part is that SymX could play anything and still be kickass because they never get boring.

Exactly. Unlike many other bands, that make 26 minutes solos to prove how talented and great musicians they are, SX simply makes great music, with that to8uch of power that makes them amazing. They are still prog, but they're an accessible prog, really enjoyable.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.08.2007 - 22:22
Bitch Boy
Symphony X used to play, not long ago, some 10+ or 20+ songs also

"Paradise Lost" is heavier but I don't think it is catchier.
30.08.2007 - 19:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
Damn... I just heard their first album. That singer... their first singer... damn... damn... seriously... his voice... it's awful...
I have no words. He sounds like a baby drag queen version of... Freddy Mercury? No please, don't read that. Can't believe that I mentioned the god Mercury when I wrote about their first vocalist. I have heard a lot of vocalists with an even worse voice than his, just that I haven't really heard a voice... like his voice... it's... a weird voice...
----
06.10.2007 - 18:40
wrathchild
Staff
I saw them last night opening for Dream Theater. This was the second time I attend a show of theirs, though they were headlining the first time.

And the difference was huge, because the sound was awful yesterday... The keyboards sounded even more toyish as they are on CD, the guitar was too screamy, too crunchy (it was hard to distinguish riffs), the drums sounded flat and underamplified. The voice could be heard but IMO they should also have pushed up the volume. All of this was really not good for the few songs of the new album I could listen to (I missed a third of the show, waiting in the queue to enter the venue) since it's an heavier album. Fortunately they played The Odyssey, that was great.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
07.10.2007 - 20:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That sucks that the sound quality was horrible...when I went and saw them on GIGANTOUR their sound quality was exactly as you described...I can't really get into the new album for some reason...I'm finding that I don't like Allen's voice too much anymore and his vocals really piss me off...
14.10.2007 - 01:54
Templar_Knight
Account deleted
I have The Odyssey, and I quite like it. I think, technically, they must be one of the best metal bands. Their keyboards are amazing
14.10.2007 - 02:31
Fuath
symphony x would have to be one of my favourite bands of all time, but the new album was a little dissapointing, yes they are still awesome and play great music, but the new album wasnt wat i was hoping for, and was a litlle to heavy for my liking of the band
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

15.10.2007 - 13:43
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Symphony X is great i love all their albums, even the first one i think is not that bad as many people say
my favorites are The Divine Wings Of Tragedy and The Odyssey
i love the accolade I and II and the self titled tracks are epic mastepieces i love this 2 albums i think they are the most agressive and melodic of them all songs like Of Sins And Shadows and Out Of THe Ashes with all that chorus and stuff are great or the technical ones like Sea Of Lies,Eyes Of Mesusa and Pharaoh are really skilled and catchy

and the ones from odyssey too i love every single track of it and of course the classic Candelight Fantasia From The divine wings.. fits just perfect for a progressive album ending
----
Stay Metal !!!
21.10.2007 - 23:42
metfan
Account deleted
11.12.2007 - 09:56
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
MetalSymphony.com conducted an interview with vocalist Russell Allen prior to the band's November 3, 2007 performance at Palacio de los Deportes (Madrid, Spain). You can listen to the chat at this location.
11.12.2007 - 13:23
Philaenas
Account deleted
This band plain rocks. I have mostly listened to their albums The Odyssey and Paradise Lost as well as The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Especially the two epics on these albums are really cool. Maybe I should take a look at the lyrics some time...
18.12.2007 - 18:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
It seems like they had a bad sound during the tour overall. They were great in Sweden, amazing. But the sound was okay at best.
----
21.12.2007 - 04:03
Bitch Boy
Written by wrathchild on 06.10.2007 at 18:40

I saw them last night opening for Dream Theater. This was the second time I attend a show of theirs, though they were headlining the first time.

And the difference was huge, because the sound was awful yesterday... The keyboards sounded even more toyish as they are on CD, the guitar was too screamy, too crunchy (it was hard to distinguish riffs), the drums sounded flat and underamplified. The voice could be heard but IMO they should also have pushed up the volume. All of this was really not good for the few songs of the new album I could listen to (I missed a third of the show, waiting in the queue to enter the venue) since it's an heavier album. Fortunately they played The Odyssey, that was great.

But what about the first time? When they came to Mexico their sound was incredible. And yes, The Odyssey is a masterpiece live
03.01.2008 - 19:00
Hellsing
I haven't seen them live, definetely I have to travel outside this country to see them otherwise I'll have to wait like forever if they come here sometime... well I'm just saying, probably they are coming soon considering that this time they had a latinamerican tour, missing Costa Rica =(
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
29.01.2008 - 19:42
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
SPV-TV has posted an interview with Michael Romeo conducted by Sir Jay and you can watch the video clip at this location.
30.01.2008 - 03:14
EpicMayhem
Im going to see them live with Epica!!
21.05.2008 - 17:29
vatro
Account deleted
Symphony x is my favourite progressive metal band
my favourite song is of sins and shadows,and my favourite album is paradise lost
Romeo has great skills,he wrote all music for paradise lost by himself
14.08.2008 - 23:47
takewarning
I saw them play in Sweden and basically never fully recovered from the mosh pit beatings. Cheers
15.08.2008 - 21:50
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There are brutal mosh pit beatings at Symphony X concerts? This I have never saw...
16.08.2008 - 00:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
lol
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.08.2008 - 07:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I was at a Symphony X show and Russel Allen was really really REALLY drunk...he stopped the band in the middle of a song with this: "hold on...hold on...one sec...I'm soooo drunk!"
16.08.2008 - 17:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Guest on 16.08.2008 at 07:14

I was at a Symphony X show and Russel Allen was really really REALLY drunk...he stopped the band in the middle of a song with this: "hold on...hold on...one sec...I'm soooo drunk!"

That must've been something. I would hate if I was watching a show and that happened! lol
----

My Instagram
16.08.2008 - 19:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Everyone in the audience thought it was the coolest thing ever so whatever...
16.08.2008 - 20:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Oh, it's cool to be Symphony X and go to a show drunk, yey.

I don't think so.
----

My Instagram
17.08.2008 - 09:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well...if you're a band like Symphony X...no, you shouldn't be doing your shows drunk...
20.11.2008 - 17:51
Metalbound7
Written by Guest on 16.08.2008 at 07:14

haha i would love to be there! i love when something unespected happened in concerts (exept acidents, cancelled shows and things like that), for example in one Mago de Oz concert something go wrong with the electricity of the place and the instruments, amplificators, lights, etc. turned off. Jose Andrea the lead singer didn't give a fuck and he continue singing, the crowd love that and everyone keep on singing very loud in the darkness, the problem was fixed and all together start playing their instruments at the main part of the song. That was so freakin' awesome