Metal Storm logo
Symphony X

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:23
One of my favorite Progressive Metal bands Symphony X has released nothing but great albums their entire career my favorite being the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Michael Romeo is a great neo-classical guitar player and can sweep extremely well. Michael LePond is also a very talented bass player with a great style and often uses techniques in their songs such as tapping. Michael Pinella the keyboard player is also amazing and sometimes samples great classical pieces in their songs. The drumming by Jason Rullo is also very unique and I find it easy to tell a Symphony X song from other bands similar to them by his drumming alone. Then there's Russell Allen who is my favorite Prog singer he has such a great voice and it really suites the music. In my opinion Symphony X is one of the top Progressive Metal bands around today and are far superior to Dream Theater.
15.12.2006 - 10:02
Huse
Account deleted
Yeah, one of my favourite progressive metal band to.
The guitar riffs are just amazing! I really love 'em!
And the singer is great to! one hell of a band
20.04.2007 - 00:08
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I'm getting to know their music, this band is awesome, really epic, really powerful, and those are things I love from a band, specially the epic touch.
Now I have to get to know every album, every good song, so that I'll really appreciate their music and know the songs they're going to play in the concert here in Colombia
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
08.05.2007 - 18:14
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
"Paradise Lost" is going to be SyX best album so far, I heard promo of it, it's amazing... unbelivable how great album is.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
08.05.2007 - 22:13
Bitch Boy
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 08.05.2007 at 18:14

"Paradise Lost" is going to be SyX best album so far, I heard promo of it, it's amazing... unbelivable how great album is.

I fully agree with you. The new album will be the best of the year without any doubt
09.05.2007 - 07:01
MetalSpider
Yeah Paradise Lost is amazing. Heaviest of all their albums. Couldnt ask for anything more from them.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
09.05.2007 - 23:24
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Being a big fan (even though I only have 3 albums), I can't wait to listen to Paradise Lost. If it's good as people say and worth the long wait, I'll be satisfied.
10.05.2007 - 03:54
Bitch Boy
Written by Guest on 09.05.2007 at 23:24

Being a big fan (even though I only have 3 albums), I can't wait to listen to Paradise Lost. If it's good as people say and worth the long wait, I'll be satisfied.

You can give a listen to some samples here:

http://www.spv.de/scripts/ktrack_e.asp?nummer=79252&label=
10.05.2007 - 11:36
Constantinos
One of the best bands ever, on prog metal. I hope "Paradise Lost" to be as good as the previous ones.
----
Somewhere in time I will find you and haunt you again, like the wind sweeps the earth
10.05.2007 - 15:46
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
I listned to Paradise Lost last night. It is ok, as usual, not as good as the older stuff, but that is life...
10.05.2007 - 15:50
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha - believe it or not but I have only just started listening to this band on order of Jeff, haha - but I am finding it rather enjoyable indeed..
I've just listened to two albums so far - the brand new one and 'V The New Mythology Suite'
I like them - I love the chunky riffs they have some times but I will need to listen to them more to get used to them a bit more..
12.05.2007 - 03:55
Danigar
Well, I've given good listens to Paradise Lost and what can I say I like it a lot, this is one of my favorites bands I own and love every album and well I was expecting a lot from this one. I have to say that at first I didnt like too much, it was heavy and full of amazing riffs just like Symphony X, but I was missing something, maybe the more varied and more epic touch like V. But as I listened it grew and well its not my favourite, but I love it so much, a heavier darker side of SX we first heard on the Odissey. Way to go SX
13.05.2007 - 19:20
Glen_Doom
PL is good but its not up to the standard of their previous work and I absolutely miss that 20+ minute epic song that makes your jaw drop.
----
Spitting in the face of mainstream music !!!
13.05.2007 - 20:41
ylside
Staff
Great

Paradise Lost isn't at all a bad album, but like NightCrawler said, I was also waiting for a 20+ minutes song. Nevertheless this album exactly fits my expectations !! And it is very heavy ( as you people said, their heaviest effort so far) and pleasing to listen to. Good job SX!!
13.05.2007 - 21:12
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 08.05.2007 at 22:13

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 08.05.2007 at 18:14

I fully agree with you. The new album will be the best of the year without any doubt

sorry for taking the spotlight off of Symphony X for a moment but I dunno if anything can top Scarsick by PoS for the year's best
14.05.2007 - 03:17
Xtopher
Account deleted
Paradise Lost. Im begginig to love it after carefully listening to it 5 times. i just love the title song and Revelation, they're all good, SX is the best prog band out there, im looking forward to their show on june.

does anyone know if "divus pennae ex tragoedia" actually means "divine wings of Tragedy"? its kind of obvious but i dont know any latin. and also the song ends with a guitar melody from that song.
14.05.2007 - 09:13
Samhain
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.05.2007 at 03:17

...does anyone know if "divus pennae ex tragoedia" actually means "divine wings of Tragedy"? its kind of obvious but i dont know any latin. and also the song ends with a guitar melody from that song.

Yes it does
11.06.2007 - 01:12
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Hey i haven't never heard any of symphony x's stuff although there all over this sites forums, any recommendations.

I like insane guitar an chuggage?
11.06.2007 - 05:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I wouldn't really call them the best progressive metal band out there...their new album isn't what I expected it to be...it's actually kind of a let down and not worth the five years waiting for it...it's highly predictable...
19.06.2007 - 11:03
#~|CoP|~#
Account deleted
I totally disagree with him. I wasn't ecpecting much of this album with all the problems they had during studios recording but damm... What a result!

This album is the best done by Symphony X so far IMO. It's heavy, catchier, Russel Allen's got an even more perfect voice... man at the first listening of that album I was in love. That's weird coz I listened to it just afterI Listened 'Systematic Chaos' the new Dream Theater for the first time. The comparison was easy,Symphony X' album is just way better. Maybe it's a bit predictable.... but it's symphony X they're not doing pure prog but heavy/power/prog so it's not a huge surprise with every album but this one is providing us such good stuff.

I really look forward to the Symphony X/Dream Theater gig this one is gonna be so freaking amazing! But for me Paradise Lost is indeed a good album, maybe the best maybe not it depends on each one's opinion but this one is giving me the best impression. I was especially a big fan of Russel's Singing on the previous albums, on this one he just blew me away... I love the songs like 'Eve of Seduction', 'Paradise Lost' and 'Revelation' the best those are just ... wow!

A good album that runs IMO for album of the year with for the moment 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' of Porcupine Tree...
19.06.2007 - 11:59
madgarry
Account deleted
Ime looking forward to paradise lost, I havnt heard anything from it yet but if its as good as their earlier stuff it should be awesome...
19.06.2007 - 12:43
Storchillarn
I haven't been able to decide which album I like the most of DWoT, V and Odyssey because it changes all the time. I've listened to Paradise Lost (don't worry I've ordered the real stuff too) and it is equally good if not better. The album kicks ass from start to finish.. that's all I have to say. This will be the album of the year, followed by the new Ayreon if he doesn't screw things up.
28.06.2007 - 03:05
Bearpuncher
Account deleted
Got my copy of Paradise Lost today and I just finished listening to the enitire album for the first time. Truly, I am speechless. I know i'm not saying much of anything useful right now but give me a break, i'm still trying to get over the fact that this album imo, is better than The Odyssey.

Was it worth the wait? Does it live up to the hype?
Yes. With no weaknesses.

29.06.2007 - 18:33
jorkg
Well this is one of my favourite bands of all time. I have all their albums, and I think that the best is the Divine Wings. This band rules. And the Paradise Lost, it's going to be one of the best albums of the year. Your metal colleague, jorkg
30.06.2007 - 00:07
Bitch Boy
Their concert here in Mexico was amazing Paradise Lost is such a really great album!!
30.06.2007 - 01:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
The new album is just awesome! Catchy, melodical and very intense! Symphony X went straight to my favourite bands when I heard it!
----
30.06.2007 - 01:34
Ithilin
Account deleted
I think they're fantastic and their new album is something which is just well.. badass.
01.07.2007 - 15:45
The Silent Man
Account deleted
Their new album Paradise Lost is very heavy, raw and darker than its predecessors.
Mike Romeo wrote all the music by himself (except the title track). He's a genius!
13.07.2007 - 04:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Me and my GF are supposed to be going to see these guys on the 23rd of this month, and I am not really into them that much. However, I am listening to them lately to help prepare for the show, and I must say, they are really good. Any prog fan should probably listen to them.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.07.2007 - 09:07
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I actually bought their newest album a few days back and have been enjoying it over the time since. I've listened to it through about five or so times and it seems pretty good. I really dig Russell Allen's vocals above all else. I can't help but notice though Mr. Romeo sounding a bit like Dimebag, not that it's bad, but just not what you'd expect from a guitar wizard. However, it gives the album, as noted, a much darker and heavier edge. Nonetheless, I enjoy the album quite a bit and even though it is my first purchase from this band, it definitely won't be my last.
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.07.2007 - 22:29
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I've been a major fan for awhile, and I must say that these are much better than Dream Theater. Especially after listening to both Paradise Lost and Systematic Chaos. Paradise Lost kicks it's ass all over the place, even without a huge epic. Paradise Lost is an awesome cd! Im so glad that after waiting five years for that album, I wasn't disappointed one bit!