Metal Storm logo
Yahoo's Latest Blasphemous Poll: The Top 25 Heavy Metal Bands Ever

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 21.06.2008 - 01:10
im sure you guys have all seen the blasphemy that was yahoo's top and bottom 25 hair metal bands of all time, now yahoo has come out with a new list sure to piss off everyone on this site. BEHOLDETH.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands

Discuss.
28.07.2009 - 03:18
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Swedish metal bands prefer to make things difficult for themselves. First off, they're in Sweden, not exactly a prime lift-off point for World Domination, unless you're IKEA.

Now THAT'S funny... :

1: Black Sabbath...BIG SUPRISE haha...
28.07.2009 - 03:53
zelenozubi
Account deleted
I don't think he made so bad list, but imo Venom should be there for sure.
I think lot of people are making big drama without reason
28.07.2009 - 17:33
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Guest on 28.07.2009 at 03:18

Swedish metal bands prefer to make things difficult for themselves. First off, they're in Sweden, not exactly a prime lift-off point for World Domination, unless you're IKEA.
you left out the meatballs :9
----
loves 小巫
28.07.2009 - 19:00
davidharris
Account deleted
Spinal Tap should be number 1:
28.07.2009 - 21:24
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 28.07.2009 at 17:33

Written by Guest on 28.07.2009 at 03:18

you left out the meatballs :9

I didn't leave them out..they did
29.07.2009 - 11:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
It's a list for HEAVY metal...I agree with 90% of the bands...now he could easily do a list for the 25 greatest death metal bands...or black metal...prog metal...etc.
----
rekt
31.07.2009 - 19:15
Biedrik
Sweden isn't a good place to start as a metal band? What the hell is he smoking?
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
07.08.2009 - 11:26
Vaterflaumig
Ya I must agree that the list is pretty wack man.
I don't agree with a lot of it, like for instance Pantera at 22 or whatever, that is utter insanity.
I also have to disagree with sweden not being a good place for a metal band, I mean look at Opeth, they are currently dominating the world of metal it seems.
08.08.2009 - 01:30
MANIMAL
I am not gonna say the list is perfect. I listen to mostly Death Metal so obviously I don't like it. But tea[m]ster brings up a great point, the list is for HEAVY METAL so I would say this list is not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be...
08.08.2009 - 02:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Metal fans just get their spiked panties in a fucking wad over pretty much anything.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.08.2009 - 04:47
wormdrink414
Elite
Yahoo!'s definition of metal is similar to that of my 86 year old grandmother.
08.08.2009 - 09:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But just read couple of first comments and see, what are those guy's definition of heavy metal...i find it funny too
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.12.2009 - 21:07
divortium
It could have been worse, but KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Acca-Dacca and Guns N' Roses DEFINITELY should not have been on there
Uriah Heep (despite being AWESOME), Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Hendrix, and Spinal Tap PROBABLY should not have been on the list
And as much as I hate to say it, Thin Lizzy probably shouldn't be on there either (but I fucking LOVE Lizzy).
Replacement bands: Opeth, Megadeth, Bathory, Atheist, Sodom, Death, Electric Wizard, Alabama Thunderpussy, Venom, and Rainbow are better choices, IMO, and this is if they include proto-metal hard rock groups like Zeppelin, Purple, and Sabbath.

ALSO: Where the flying fuck is Blue Cheer?

EDIT: Shit, Morbid Angel. Good call, sir.
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
21.12.2009 - 18:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by divortium on 20.12.2009 at 21:07

It could have been worse, but KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Acca-Dacca and Guns N' Roses DEFINITELY should not have been on there
Uriah Heep (despite being AWESOME), Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Hendrix, and Spinal Tap PROBABLY should not have been on the list
And as much as I hate to say it, Thin Lizzy probably shouldn't be on there either (but I fucking LOVE Lizzy).
Replacement bands: Opeth, Megadeth, Bathory, Atheist, Sodom, Death, Electric Wizard, Alabama Thunderpussy, Venom, and Rainbow are better choices, IMO, and this is if they include proto-metal hard rock groups like Zeppelin, Purple, and Sabbath.

so Sabbath is "proto-metal hard rock"...

and Alabama Thunderpussy is top 25 all time?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.01.2010 - 10:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by divortium on 20.12.2009 at 21:07

wait what the fuck how are purple, zeppelin and sabbath proto metal hard rock groups?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.01.2010 - 11:20
Immortal
Written by wormdrink414 on 08.08.2009 at 04:47

Yahoo!'s definition of metal is similar to that of my 86 year old grandmother.

Well at least she listens to some decent bands then
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
16.02.2010 - 08:13
Gobobbles
Account deleted
Robin fucking Trower?!?!?! ....oh my God...worst metal list i have ever seen and i do look at 'em sometimes

EDIT: did anyone catch the 3rd comment on the article page: "umh....where is slipknot?" ....hahahahaha
23.03.2010 - 06:17
whatsacow
And the award of most pointless thread goes to...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
20.02.2011 - 05:34
j0equ1nn
Shit it worked. I clicked on the link thinking "obviously I won't get pissed off, this will be amusing" and next thing I know I'm pissed off. Maybe half of those bands are even metal bands. AEROSMITH? Jesus christ.

And then I saw that people actually got in a fight over this. I think I'm gonna go back to what I was doing before now.
20.02.2011 - 06:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by whatsacow on 23.03.2010 at 06:17

And the award of most pointless thread goes to...

Never heard of that award, does it come right after "most inane comment" award in the ceremonies? You'd think a comment like that would make more sense...you know...2 years ago, before the 2.5 pages of discussion.

Besides, I'm pretty sure this is the most pointless thread ever.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.02.2011 - 07:01
Void_Eater
Account deleted
It wasn't that bad. I was surprised Metallica wasn't number one on that list-Not because they deserve it, but because most people in the mainstream who claim to like metal would enjoy nothing more then having 5 way sex with them. Happy that they didn't have any nu and core bands on that list. Predictable choices, but nothing offensive.

EDIT: Some of the comments are funny... People whining that Marylin Manson isn't on the list
20.02.2011 - 12:56
Luneth
Account deleted
Well the top 4 aint too bad, I just don't think the person who created the list knows much. Dio not in the top ten is actually blasphemy...Hendrix considered heavy metal is a joke. Just because he was a legend doesn't mean he HAS to be on the list. Same goes for Aerosmith, bar the legendary bit.
20.02.2011 - 14:18
ANGEL REAPER
Well what could you expected from a man that made this list.....
He is clearly doing this for money,or he is into traditional heavy metal,or he wasn't on Earth in last 3 decades....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.02.2011 - 17:44
Thunderhead
Written by Guest on 28.07.2009 at 19:00

Spinal Tap should be number 1:

Couldn't agree more!

But lists are usually very personal, unless are kind of most influencial bands or more popular bands, and that you can't argue with.
But "The best bands" or the "the greatest bands", are not too objective.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
21.02.2011 - 04:36
Phil Anselmo is "one scary dude"? What, BEFORE the Cowboys From Hell days? I agree.
----
"I flew over crystal ground...my existence numb, over orchards of grievance."
21.02.2011 - 04:38
P.S. "Ride My Rocket"!!
----
"I flew over crystal ground...my existence numb, over orchards of grievance."
21.02.2011 - 04:55
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2008 at 05:29

And your statement just proves the herd metality of metallers and the revisionist thinking which is rampant amongst the ones under 25. Those so-called metallers have no idea about the history of metal they prove once again. Yes, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Kiss etc. all are members of the heavy metal family, no matter what you kids say nowadays. You CAN'T change history.

Sorry Marcel but I'm not a kid (I'm nearly as old as you) and I feel forced to disagree.
I know the history of metal and the bands who influenced it, the precursors.
However, the fact they were precursors and perhaps called heavy metal decades ago doesn't make those bands heavy metal for the standards of today.
What you overlook is that the term 'metal' itself evolved, following the evolution of music. So, the term metal doesn't refer to the same exact thing as it did 30-40 years ago.

We can't change history but we can keep up-to-date with it. Call me a revisionist if you want but on this matter, I'm with those you call the kids.

I would compare it to the technological evolution. Both a vinyl and a CD are discs with music on it. However, would you say a vinyl is a CD? No.
And would you say the giant computers that took an entire department of University in the 70s are a personal computer? No. They were the prototype of what we know today as a computer.

I understand your point of view and I'm in no way angry but I don't share it at all. I think this attitude is living in the past, like almost all old metalheads are doing.

EDIT: By the way it is not a reproach and I don't accuse you of anything, it is a general observation. I think older people very often underestimate the opinion of children and teenagers. They see things with a new look, a different background. They challenge us. And I like it. That's why when I have a conversation with an adult and a young boy/girl wants to intervene and the other adult says something like "take care of your business, it's an adult discussion", I reply "No, no, let him/her talk, I'm curious to know what he/she has to say". And I must confess I'm sometimes surprised by what young people can come with.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.02.2011 - 22:02
Thunderhead
Written by RavenKing on 21.02.2011 at 04:55

EDIT: By the way it is not a reproach and I don't accuse you of anything, it is a general observation. I think older people very often underestimate the opinion of children and teenagers. They see things with a new look, a different background. They challenge us. And I like it. That's why when I have a conversation with an adult and a young boy/girl wants to intervene and the other adult says something like "take care of your business, it's an adult discussion", I reply "No, no, let him/her talk, I'm curious to know what he/she has to say". And I must confess I'm sometimes surprised by what young people can come with.

I agree with you dude.
I have a niece who's very smart and intelligent. She's only 9 years old.
And i must say, she's far more intelligent than my brother-in-law, who by the way is 48 years old.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
13.02.2012 - 00:06
lordchadi
He made a mistake he shouldnt say a list of "BEST HEAVY " metal bands he must say a list of " THE MOST FAMOUS "metal bands cause not all the 25 bands are playing heavy some of em play hard rock & others play trash or doom & these bands are not the best but maybe they are the most famous maybe ...

anyway this is his opinion & we have to respect him , cause if u asked from every member here in metalstorm to make a list of 25 bands u will never find 2 person making exactly the same 25 bands ...

greetings
17.02.2012 - 18:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok so now, let me think, I saw the title of this thread and I thought to myself *Guib, you're clearly going to flip !!* and then, I click the link ready to throw vicious insults but....
I find a list, quite different from what I would've done, with some hard rock bands and all.. but in essence, a list who considered alot of good and epic metal bands so why being insulted and why
considering this blasphemy I actually think its a personal opinion, yes, but its still a metal list... nothing so extravagant. -_- maybe its just me, but I don't think so.

I mean, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Metallica, MEshuggah, Mercyful Fate, Motorhead, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Dio ... (etc) sounds pretty metal to me lol. You kids should try not to forget where metal comes from, you might be listening to technical death metal and all, but only because someone makes up a list consisting mainly on old metal bands who forged the genre, you should not get pissed... you should be honnored that people still remember and praise those bands -_- im out.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here