Metal Storm logo
1986 Thrash Metal Battle

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 05.07.2008 - 23:32
well, just a poll i got the idea from reading UltraBoris's reviews on M-A. he gave master of puppets a 0%, and ranted in the other reviews how kickass and brutal all these albums are.

well for me it's Reign In Blood followed by a tie between Darkness Descends and Master of Puppets. the former is great, probably the most brutal album i'm keen on, but too mindless at times. the bass intro for "Merciless Death" kicks ass! the latter is great, metallica at their very best, but too complex, technical and too much of

Hetfield: "Let's do this bit in 29/16 time signature!"
*Lars nods head*
Cliff, Kirk: "Why not 4/4?"
Hetfield: ...

i choose RiB because it's got a good mix of melody and aggression, especially Angel of Death and Post Mortem/Raining Blood(i had the version where the last 30 seconds of PM was the beginning to Raining so i can't imagine the 2 songs separated). speaking of which what would have been the most kickass live song ever would be a Post Mortem/Raining Blood/Black Magic... but i can only dream of that

and i like the fact that RiB doesn't demand that huge attention span and sheer time to go through the whole album like MoP and DD have.

as for Peace Sells, it didn't really catch that much of my attention, except for the title track and maybe the Conjuring but other than that nothing more.

Poll

which album is the best?

Metallica- Master of Puppets
Slayer- Reign in Blood
Megadeth- Peace Sells...But Who's Buying
Kreator- Pleasure to Kill
Dark Angel- Darkness Descends

Total votes: 95
24.09.2008 - 16:07
Elio
Red Nightmare
I go with MoP...more complete and various than Reign In Blood.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.09.2008 - 18:14
-Soulreaper-
Difficult choice. The kid in me is saying Reign in Blood because it was one of my favorite albums growing up, but my current state of mind for metal would have to say Pleasure to Kill because I freaking absolutely love that album.
26.09.2008 - 14:24
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Oh surprise, surprise, Master Of Puppets is winning. The most flat, pretentious, uninspired piece of drivel in that list. In thrash you should be able to hear the raw energy and enthusiasm of the band, and that's why PTK and RIB are truly thrash classics. That and the fact that they are actually 100% thrash.
27.09.2008 - 17:20
breX
Account deleted
Why is master of puppets leading? It one horrible song(the thing that should not be) and one song thats only good because of the solo(leper messiah). Master of puppets is definitely not that great an album as most people would say(although i consider it a classic any way). For me, reign in blood should be on top followed by pleasure to kill. Those two albums are 100% brutal thrash attacks from start to finish.
27.09.2008 - 23:04
Abattoir
Staff
Voted for Kreator. At first, they were always and they still are my favourite trash metal band. I had never give up on them. And this album is also one of my favourite one from them...for me it is kinda legendary. Kill with pleasure!
28.09.2008 - 00:19
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i voted for RiB. none of the other choices match RiB's viciousness.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.09.2008 - 04:39
Toast
Account deleted
Where's the "others" catagory? Because I'd go with Tankard's debut. Off that list I guess it'd be R.I.B. though, it's not called a thrash masterpiece for nothing haha.
05.10.2008 - 00:42
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...good stuff but i'd say master of puppets...slayer, kreator & megadeth are quite good actually but i'm more into metallica...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.10.2008 - 05:47
Branzig
Slayer.

RIB isn't one of my particular favorite Slayer albums, but I personally feel it beats the albums listed. Particularly in speed, power, and aggression!
----
In Grind We Crust
05.10.2008 - 06:49
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'm voting Master of Puppets. Reign in Blood was a killer album, but I think Metallica did a greater job at that time.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.10.2008 - 10:12
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
master of puppets then peace sells

MOP was the first metal album i bought together with kill em all
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.10.2008 - 04:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well of course i'll go for Reign in Blood... because first.. in this selection Slayer is my favorite band
and second.. I just loved RIB its that kind of agression a trash metal band should adopt.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.10.2008 - 18:02
Demonmayonnaise
Man Peace Sells is down there... I love all the albums on the list, but Peace Sells is my favorite. Dave and Chris Poland are a really good guitar duo, Ellefson is a really great bassist. I was really dissapointed with Gars drumming though. He did an excellent job in Killing is my business, but in Peace Sells its just average.
10.10.2008 - 18:54
Nightmare^
Reing In Blood is by far the best thrash album ever, not just on the list. For me, Thrash = Slayer :p
----
11.10.2008 - 03:30
Metal_Militia
//This quite possibly could be the hardest poll for me to chose from i've ever seen. For me it'd be Pleasure to Kill by Kreator just because that's the thrash album i'm into the most right now. For the longest time i would have said Peace Sells or Master Of Puppets. Next week it could be Reigning Blood. I live all albums just about equally (which is a hard concept to grasp i know) but for the moment, I'm going with Pleasure To Kill//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

12.06.2009 - 22:06
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Reign In Blood. more complete than the others imo...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.06.2009 - 03:27
soadbyob
Account deleted
RAINING BLOOD!!!!!!....FROM A LACERATED SKY......BLEEDING ITS HORROR....CREATING MY STRUCTURE, NOW I SHALL REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!
18.06.2009 - 04:37
BuzzPhil
I'll go with Master Of Puppets, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying in second followed by Reign In Blood... Master Of Puppets is one of THE classics of Metal, RiB too, but, is one of the first metal albums I really love and it is still one of the metal albums I really love, probably my all-time favourite...
18.06.2009 - 09:13
Hamird
Lieutenant
Sepultura's Morbid Vision is my choice. Because when you compare it to any of these albums in the list, you see they haven't enough material to release something better. From production to even quality of instruments and editing songs and so on.. In addition Sepultura were kids then and to their age it was a good piece of work. And also lyrics are cool in this album.
18.06.2009 - 10:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmmm i'm wondering right now why didn't i subtract RiB and MoP from the poll as i can see that most people are voting for them, it would have made for a more interesting poll
18.06.2009 - 10:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Valentin B on 18.06.2009 at 10:18

Hmmm i'm wondering right now why didn't i subtract RiB and MoP from the poll as i can see that most people are voting for them, it would have made for a more interesting poll

th 4/5 of these bands became "big names" in the future so this poll will always have a bit problem as those bands have many many fans!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
26.06.2009 - 17:49
Rattlehead87
MEGADETH PEACE SELLS

then i would have to say
2. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
3. Slayer - Reign In Blood
4. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
5. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
----
No one is safe when I close my eyes, I come to take your life
30.06.2009 - 21:21
Wyrd
I just Bought Master of Puppets last week for 10 bucks and I must say it is the most over rated metal album of all time. It was unspiring and Boring.

Slayer-Raign in Blood. Now that was a Fucking Thrash record!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
10.07.2009 - 05:29
IronBlackZepp
Of course Master of Puppets, probably the greatest album of 1986. My second pick on here would be Peace Sells, I'm not sure if I would call it the second greatest album of 1986 overall, but for thrash metal? Yes. The others I dont care for too much. I think Raign in Blood is the most overrated thrash metal album ever.
10.07.2009 - 08:57
gwarscumdog
Megadeth come on what other song was mostly played during that time and still is and had the best "I don't care what you think of us" theme. If Metallica Enter the Sandman I would say yes but I have the Master of Puppets album and I get tired of that song. I like Welcome Home (Sanitarium).
10.07.2009 - 15:13
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
MOP

the greatest and most influential album of all time!
----
rekt
10.07.2009 - 16:54
RIB

MOP is good, but I'm a bit sick of it and PTK isn't as good as many people say it is. It is good but it's not MINDBLOWINGLY good.
19.08.2009 - 01:20
Razorback
Metallica- Master of Puppets,but megadeth it's right behind
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
13.05.2011 - 11:04
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Kreator-Pleasure To Kill.... man nothing else beats this in terms of sheer evil and pure thrash... Dark Angel- Darkness Descends comes next
13.05.2011 - 11:58
Bulletdodger
Written by Author on 18.06.2009 at 03:27

RAINING BLOOD!!!!!!....FROM A LACERATED SKY......BLEEDING ITS HORROR....CREATING MY STRUCTURE, NOW I SHALL REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!

This ^

Reign in Blood is by far the best metal album of all times.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert