Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

Original post

Posted by selken, 17.07.2008 - 07:21
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
11.08.2010 - 23:33
F0rang3l
Written by vezzy on 11.08.2010 at 20:12

Written by F0rang3l on 11.08.2010 at 19:49

Dimmu Borgir's and Behemoth's latest albums definately! They sound more mature and done with more attention to detail.

I lol'd.

Dimmu Borgir aren't really mature. Overdone symphonic extreme metal.

I was talking aobut Behemoth not really Dimmu Borgir.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
12.08.2010 - 00:09
Perseverance
Account deleted
Agoraphobic Nosebleed. Agorapocalypse was awesome but every thing else is too short to get into.
12.08.2010 - 01:15
RavenKing
The only band I can think of that I prefer their new stuff to the older is Absu. I could not tell how many times I prefer the old stuff from bands, because it's the norm with me. Though there are many bands from which I like all the albums rather equally.

The reason why I so often prefer the older stuff is quite simple: most bands soften and slow down with time.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
12.08.2010 - 01:20
RavenKing
Written by Valentin B on 23.09.2009 at 12:41

i like my metal when i can actually hear the riffs.

All you need is to train your ears. I can hear riffs well enough in raw Black Metal.
It's just a matter of getting used to the sound.
----
12.08.2010 - 03:28
Kennoth
Disturbed, Slipknot, maybe Trivium.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
12.08.2010 - 04:10
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Kennoth on 12.08.2010 at 03:28

Disturbed, Slipknot, maybe Trivium.

Agreed
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
12.08.2010 - 11:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
I guess I'll spare the snarky comment.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.08.2010 - 18:28
Elio
Red Nightmare
Converge. I don't like the first more punkish albums as I do for albums like the awesome Jane Doe, the latest Axe to Fall and You Fail Me.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
12.08.2010 - 19:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Even though Kreator's earlier stuff was pretty kick ass, their newer material is turning out a lot better in my opinion...their last two albums don't sure don't show a band tiring and playing it safe...
12.08.2010 - 20:09
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
The last three albums you mean
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
12.08.2010 - 20:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
I didn't think Hordes of Chaos was very good, personally, but I liked Violent Revolution and Enemy of God.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.02.2011 - 17:49
Wintersun616
Shade Empire. I loved Intoxicate O.S. and Sinthetic, but that was nothing compared to how I was mesmerized by Zero Nexus. Only a few years difference, but still.

Amorphis. I'm not into the old Amorphis style.

Sentenced. Same as Amorphis.

Mustan Kuun Lapset. Pretty much for the same reasons as above.

Diablo. They just keep getting better
07.02.2011 - 17:53
(((O)))
The Ocean, their old stuff (Fogdiver, Fluxion and Aeolian) was pretty boring if you ask me. Their newer stuff is amazing, a mix of growls and clean vocals.
07.02.2011 - 18:55
Luneth
Account deleted
Battlerlore: Especially with the release of their latest album, there's a great improvement to their music, they've slowed down a lot and started paying much more attention to melody, rather than the typical speed most Power Metal bands play with. Evernight was the turning point for them and they're improving steadily.

Symphony X: They simply get better with every release, I never thought The Odyssey could be topped, then they come out with Paradise Lost and change all the rules
07.02.2011 - 20:50
Vikcen
Metálico
Slayer: I prefer their latest two albums (Christ Illusion, World Painted Blood)

Testament: the same (The Gathering, The Formation Of Damnation)
07.02.2011 - 21:01
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Anathema - I prefer their post Eternity album to their doom era.
The Gathering - love the post Nighttime Birds albums the most. Mandylion was a rather transition album, i like it, but it's not amogst my favourites.
Porcupine Tree - I listen to their post 1999 (Stupid dream) albums more.

that's all for now.
08.02.2011 - 00:43
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 07.02.2011 at 21:01

The Gathering - love the post Nighttime Birds album the most. Mandylion was a rather transition album, i like it, but it's not amogst my favourites.

that's all for now.

I was going to say Anathema and The Gathering, too. But for me, A Natural Disaster and Souvenirs, respectively, are the peaks of their careers so far. So it's not just that I prefer them to the old doom, but also their classic metal albums.

I can't accompany you on the last one, though. I really dislike everything Porcupine Tree did after Deadwing, which was still quite good (but clearly a step down). For me, it's Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, The Sky Moves Sideways and Stupid Dream, in that order.

As for other bands that have gotten better with time: Ulver, Amon Amarth, Earth, Enslaved, maybe Epica. And to be very "today", I could say Crowbar too. There are plenty of bands with just two albums out who got better since the debut, but I don't think it's fair to count those.
08.02.2011 - 00:49
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 08.02.2011 at 00:43

Written by Guest on 07.02.2011 at 21:01

The Gathering - love the post Nighttime Birds album the most. Mandylion was a rather transition album, i like it, but it's not amogst my favourites.

that's all for now.

I was going to say Anathema and The Gathering, too. But for me, A Natural Disaster and Souvenirs, respectively, are the peaks of their careers so far. So it's not just that I prefer them to the old doom, but also their classic metal albums.

I can't accompany you on the last one, though. I really dislike everything Porcupine Tree did after Deadwing, which was still quite good (but clearly a step down). For me, it's Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, The Sky Moves Sideways and Stupid Dream, in that order.

As for other bands that have gotten better with time: Ulver, Amon Amarth, Earth, Enslaved, maybe Epica. And to be very "today", I could say Crowbar too. There are plenty of bands with just two albums out who got better since the debut, but I don't think it's fair to count those.

Recently, when i was in the mood for PT, I always ended up listening to Stupid dream, in Absentia or Deadwing.
I mean, i love PT, it's one of my favourite bands, but this is what happens. I don't remember last time I listened to Fear of a blank Planet though.
08.02.2011 - 00:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 07.02.2011 at 18:55
Symphony X: They simply get better with every release, I never thought The Odyssey could be topped, then they come out with Paradise Lost and change all the rules

Totally agree with that, other than "The Damnation Game" being one of my fave Symphony X albums. But aside from that, they are a band that just keeps getting better and better with every release. xD I dont think there's anyway they can top "Paradise Lost", but then I didn't they'd ever top "The Odyssey" and they did, so nothing is certain! lol
08.02.2011 - 01:52
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I like a lot of bands 2000s stuff better than their 90s stuff. The 90s was a shitty time for metal imo.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
08.02.2011 - 02:43
Kennoth
I'll throw in Epica too. Their latest album pwns the rest of their discography.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
08.02.2011 - 03:33
RavenKing
Written by Death To Posers on 08.02.2011 at 01:52

I like a lot of bands 2000s stuff better than their 90s stuff. The 90s was a shitty time for metal imo.

If you're speaking of Thrash and traditional Heavy Metal, I agree that the 90s were very bad days for those genres.

However, it was a great time for Black Metal.

Also, it was a much better time for Powermetal than it can be now (especially the second half of the 90s). It was before the genre turned to crap around the millenia. When it comes to Powermetal, the shitty time is the 00s.
----
08.02.2011 - 03:34
RavenKing
Written by Vikcen on 07.02.2011 at 20:50

Really? OMG, tastes differ here.
----
08.02.2011 - 03:52
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by RavenKing on 08.02.2011 at 03:34

Written by Vikcen on 07.02.2011 at 20:50

Really? OMG, tastes differ here.

Yes, you know, a matter of tastes in this of music. But here my humble opinion:

These albums are more elaborate and more mature than the firsts + Slayer's quality + Lombardo's return = Great records for me =) .
08.02.2011 - 04:12
Luneth
Account deleted

Wow...I almost wish I was a decade older to have been around for the 90's metal scene.
08.02.2011 - 04:26
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Guest on 08.02.2011 at 04:12

Wow...I almost wish I was a decade older to have been around for the 90's metal scene.

Seriously, I was just old enough to catch the end of Thrash being popular. I always ended up regretting buying cds in the 90's. You guys are right about there being good power metal in the 90s though
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
08.02.2011 - 19:26
QibingZero
Sadly, for every band I think of, there are five that are the opposite. A few though:

Enslaved - Surprised I didn't see more mentions here

Skyfire - Same style, same great keyboard stuff, but more of a 'complete' band as time goes on.

Agalloch - Say what you will, I think they've improved on every single album. I was very, very confused to see Marrow of the Spirit on many disappointed lists.
09.02.2011 - 00:07
RavenKing
Written by Death To Posers on 08.02.2011 at 04:26

Seriously, I was just old enough to catch the end of Thrash being popular. I always ended up regretting buying cds in the 90's. You guys are right about there being good power metal in the 90s though

In the 90s, you really had to check albums from NEW bands because old bands started to release nothing but crap in the name of change and (d)evolution. Even those who made a strong return after 2000 were shitty in the 90s.
----
09.02.2011 - 00:17
Sonic MrSumo
Mastodon for me. Whilst I really enjoy Remission and Leviathan, I think that Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye are near perfect.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
09.02.2011 - 00:59
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by RavenKing on 09.02.2011 at 00:07

Written by Death To Posers on 08.02.2011 at 04:26

In the 90s, you really had to check albums from NEW bands because old bands started to release nothing but crap in the name of change and (d)evolution. Even those who made a strong return after 2000 were shitty in the 90s.

Yeah, that's so true

people I knew were mostly into stuff like Pantera, Rage Against The Machine, Alice in Chains, Sublime etc. or even Grunge and Alternative Rock, none of which I could get into really. I eventually just asked the dude at Amoeba "whats good if I like this..." and it was usually pretty on point. At least the rap was good in the 90s though.
----