Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

Original post

Posted by selken, 17.07.2008 - 07:21
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
06.10.2011 - 22:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Author on 06.10.2011 at 22:32
I hate bands like Darkthrone and Mayhem

Looks like you aren't with him at all then.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.10.2011 - 22:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Daniell on 06.10.2011 at 22:32
You're completely wrong.

I kid I kid. I don't quote you enough in the forums so you probably aren't used to my sarcasm...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.10.2011 - 22:35
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:33

I'm confused... He hates raw, atmosphere-lacking BM, but likes Darkthrone and Mayhem?
06.10.2011 - 22:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Author on 06.10.2011 at 22:35
He hates raw, atmosphere-lacking BM

He doesn't though, that was the joke...
----
06.10.2011 - 22:42
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:36

He hates raw, atmosphere-lacking BM

He doesn't though, that was the joke...

06.10.2011 - 22:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Author on 06.10.2011 at 22:42
???

He likes some of those bands but he slags a few others, but you hear him slag the "others" more than he praises the ones he likes, so I made a joke about how he gets off on hating ALL early lo-fi black metal or whatever.

Then everyone was like "Wha?"
----
06.10.2011 - 22:47
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:45

Written by Author on 06.10.2011 at 22:42
???

He likes some of those bands but he slags a few others, but you hear him slag the "others" more than he praises the ones he likes, so I made a joke about how he gets off on hating ALL early lo-fi black metal or whatever.

Then everyone was like "Wha?"

Which ones does he hate?
06.10.2011 - 22:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Author on 06.10.2011 at 22:47
Which ones does he hate?

Why don't you ask him?
----
06.10.2011 - 22:54
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:49

Written by Author on 06.10.2011 at 22:47
Which ones does he hate?

Why don't you ask him?

Nah, I don't think I need to. He stated Burzum and Immortal in his last post.
06.10.2011 - 23:07
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:33

I'm confused... He hates raw, atmosphere-lacking BM, but likes Darkthrone and Mayhem?

If you want to know what I think, read MY posts, no someone else's. That's a good general rule
24.01.2012 - 04:00
Zealot644
Behemoth, Septic Flesh, Periphery (I think Spencer>Other vocalists), Vildhjarta, Oh,Sleeper, Becoming The Archetype (2008 on), etc.
09.04.2012 - 17:16
I like Kreator's new albums but I don't prefer them from the older stuff.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
15.04.2012 - 11:43
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Unpopular opinion, but Sonata Arctica. Hope that will remain intact with the new album.
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.07.2012 - 19:22
Windir
There are a lot of bands in that category for me:
Accept: It was good (too much fillers), It's a lot better now, better sound, more metal, better solos, better production, better songwriting, and yes, a better singer! Mark Tornillo rocks!
Amon Amarth: It was great (Once Sent...) or average (The Crusher), it's way better now (Surtur Rising, Twilight of The Thunder God), it's like AC/DC, Motorhead or Týr, every album is more or less the same, but Amon Amarth's songwriting becomes better and better.
Arkona: Slovo and Goi Rode Goi are amazing.
Carcariass: Their first two albums were just bad produced/played death metal. Does someone know them? Their latest stuff is awesome.
Death: Scream bloody what? Scream Bloody Boring! Leprosy was ok, Spiritual healing is really good and then? Pure awesomeness...
Helloween: It was good, it's way better now, more metal. Kiske's annoying voice is so overrated.
and there are many more: Emperor, Hypocrisy, Immortal, Månegarm, Primodial, Rotting Christ, Vreid, etc.
08.03.2016 - 21:45
Enteroctopus
Borknagar. I feel like they have been evolving toward the Urd sound for a long time, and Winter Thrice though not quite as good is still a solid effort. Universal to me is a mess. It's got a lot going on that I think they struggled to find a place for sonically. With Urd and WT I'm like, "YES! You got it exactly right!"

Takes a while to perfect something so complex.

More recent Amorphis, too. Although I love Tales, Karelian was just boring folksy drivel and I don't know what the heck happened after Elegy?! But they have put out some solid music lately and I am happy to see a band turn it around. That doesn't happen very often!
17.08.2016 - 11:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Cound Z2 as 2 albums, and I think 8 of Devin Townsend's best 10 albums are in the last 10.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.08.2016 - 05:15
Ganondox
Mastodon, Death
26.08.2016 - 06:13
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Ganondox on 26.08.2016 at 05:15

Death

the pioneers?
26.08.2016 - 08:38
Ganondox
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 26.08.2016 at 06:13

Written by Ganondox on 26.08.2016 at 05:15

Death

the pioneers?

Yes, Death the band death metal band. Their later albums are way better than their older albums.
26.08.2016 - 15:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ganondox on 26.08.2016 at 08:38

. Their later albums are way better than their older albums.

I beg to differ and their later albums have nothing to do with death metal anymore, especially that horrendous one called The Sound Of Perserverence.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2016 - 06:48
Ganondox
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2016 at 15:59

Written by Ganondox on 26.08.2016 at 08:38

. Their later albums are way better than their older albums.

I beg to differ and their later albums have nothing to do with death metal anymore, especially that horrendous one called The Sound Of Perserverence.

Who cares if they have anything to do with death metal, progressive metal is WAY better than death metal anyway. Also, The Sound Of Perseverance is one of the best albums ever so shut your blasphemous mouth.

Anyway, I got another band, Dir En Grey. Since Uroboros onward they've reached a new standard and have been getting better with each release. Also Bring Me the Horizon, There Is a Hell is their first album that is actually good and they've just gotten better since then. Less heavy and more pop, yes, but still better. I finally second Periphery, their first album is pretty bad, but they've been getting much better with each album. Really I think MOST bands actually get better over time, there are just three main issues. The first is that when a band releases a groundbreaking album, it's just hard to top that, so after that everything seems worse, but it's really not. Second is lineup changes happen, and it's a similar issue, where when there is one really good lineup, subsequence lineups don't semm any good. Finally, for bands that have been around for ever, singers get worse as they age. Iron Maiden and Queensryche have suffered from this. There is also the fourth non-issue, which is just old fans getting mad when a band changes style even though it's usually an improvement.
04.09.2016 - 04:34
EricAxel36
Literally no band comes to mind.

I've seen Death mentioned, but for me I enjoy every second album released of theirs (Leprosy, Human, Symbolic) more than the others.
15.09.2016 - 01:54
Can I answer this question in the opposite way?? I love all of Cradle of FIilth's old stuff tons better than their new stuff...it is because their old stuff is just so much better...8-]]:banger:
14.09.2019 - 15:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ivory tower last 2 albums are much better as older ones, same goes Holocaust Scottish band, last album and previous one is simply blast comparing to old
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.09.2019 - 19:18
Fabiano
For me it is Amon Amarth and Amorphis.
Gotta say that i really don't like the first Amorphis albums because of the singer. I love Tomi Joutsen's vocals, both harsh and clean. I also prefer their more melodic sound (the production on the latest albums is way better too).
On Amon Amarth I also don't like the first albums because of the poor production. Also Johann's voice improved a lot through the time, you can really hear the difference.
27.02.2020 - 06:35
Nightwish. I never liked Tarja's vocals, and I only like Annete's voice on Slow, Love, Slow; The Owl, The Crow, and the Dove, and Scaretale. Floor's vocals are more powerful, and it mixes well with Marco's. Plus now they have Troy and Kai and can do 3-part harmony. In my opinion, Nightwish is still a symphonic power metal band-only they have better members.
27.02.2020 - 06:38
Although I will say Nightwish has always been a hit-and-miss band (every album has a mix of songs I like and dislike)
27.03.2020 - 02:01
Metal Rasputin
Never liked the older Testament, the earlier albums are mostly badly produced average thrash with awesome shredding solos. IMO they got a lot better with The Gathering and have been consistently great ever since. Me gusta.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
02.07.2020 - 20:15
Zopilote
Written by Metal Rasputin on 27.03.2020 at 02:01

Never liked the older Testament, the earlier albums are mostly badly produced average thrash with awesome shredding solos. IMO they got a lot better with The Gathering and have been consistently great ever since. Me gusta.

I somewhat agree. I prefer the more recent stuff to their older material with the exception of New Order, which is one of my favorite albums by them along with The Gathering, Brotherhood of the Snake and Demonic.

Death Angel is another band I prefer their more recent stuff. The Dream Calls for Blood is my favorite album by them.
02.07.2020 - 22:16
BetulaObscura
To be honest I can't name any band which recent stuff is better than older. I am not say that new things are bad but usually older stuff is strictly related with our youth, much stronger emotions, discovering live in general, first loves... Same with artists: they express their feelings and emotions, they transform it into art/music but it is obvious that this process is the most powerful, raw and wild only at the beginning ! Later everything must settled down, unless you are mental ill... That's life!

Now, when I am much older than 20 years ago (haha) I am looking differently on many things. I am more distant, more sceptic, have more experience and skills. Am I jaded? Maybe a little... In many cases new bands releases don't impress me that much. "I have heard it all before" - could be a sum up. Sure there are many bands i am still exciting about their new albums! I still love music and want to discover new stuff.

My biggest disappoint in the last few years was recent Tool album...
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"