Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
04.01.2011 - 18:57
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Written by CzirjakMan on 04.01.2011 at 18:36

Oh for sure man. I think they just need to promote themselves better here I mean you wouldn't believe how many Americans don't even know about them! There's a huge market for them they just need to find it I think

Exactly!
Once they (Opeth) grow in the USA, and consolidate an fanbase among Latin Americans Metalheads, they'll be one step to become an "Iron Maiden".
----
Last.fm
16.01.2011 - 22:55
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Behemoth is well liked and well respected with metalheads, despite having mild mainstream success. However, people that get into metal today are just trying to enhance their image; appear to be a badass. A band like Iron Maiden that is very mild compared to the trends of today, namely the core styles, would fail to gain large mainstream success because they don't conform to a scene- To heavy for the average music listener, and to mild for the br00tal kids of today.

Behemoth is probably the biggest band that both metalheads and nonmetalheads like, although due to their harsh vocals they will never gain Maiden-like success.
04.02.2011 - 06:03
JCJen7
Yeah, I don't think Opeth will ever be anywhere near as big as Iron Maiden. I mean, I see half the comparison. No one gets called a poser for being an Opeth fan, despite their widespread popularity. However, they will never crossover in to classic rock stations, or classic rock fans. Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, The Trooper etc. are extremely popular songs, in just about every demographic. On the other hand, the most popular Opeth songs are 10 minute long epics, featuring death metal vocals. I mean, I absolutely love Opeth, but they will never see the kind of success Iron Maiden saw....I think
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
12.02.2011 - 19:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Maybe it's impossible to gain worldwide popularity these days, as the three biggest metal markets (Europe, South America and North America) have fans who are differing more and more in their tastes. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Europeans mostly like stuff from Europe (the more melodic, the folk and the roots of the extreme metal genres), South Americans like everything with heart and speed, and the North Americans...well, they're an enigma for me, give me a hand here? lol.
----
7.0 means the album is good
15.02.2011 - 00:31
Xtopher
Written by O Sinistron on 04.01.2011 at 18:57

Written by CzirjakMan on 04.01.2011 at 18:36

Oh for sure man. I think they just need to promote themselves better here I mean you wouldn't believe how many Americans don't even know about them! There's a huge market for them they just need to find it I think

Exactly!
Once they (Opeth) grow in the USA, and consolidate an fanbase among Latin Americans Metalheads, they'll be one step to become an "Iron Maiden".

i personally love Opeth, and i would kill to see em live, but i dont think they have what it takes to become massively liked and respected.
Many people find their music boring and not "metal" enough to be considered a metal icon.
----
28.04.2011 - 18:04
ANGEL REAPER
Well ten years ago i would vote for (believe or not) for some extreme bands like Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom.I mean at that time those two bands started accumulating a wide audiences and a lot of fans,and both of them sounded promising...But we all know what later happened....Today I would vote for Arch Enemy as next "Iron Maiden"(well at least as extreme kind of IM)....Why?Well they have accumulated a lot of fans ,sold a lot of records and still working in positive way on their new releases(not to mention that their crowd start to look like Iron Maiden crowd ).If they continue to evolve in wright way,who knows?
And just for the sake of Iron Maiden fans worldwide : no there will not be any band greater than Iron Maiden,not because IM is that great,but because IM is caliber for itself. BUT there will be bands with similar popularity.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.04.2011 - 18:18
Tormentor666
I think it is just impossible for today's scene to have a band with a similar success to that one that Maiden had back in their days, to be honest.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
29.04.2011 - 00:12
RavenKing
Written by Tormentor666 on 28.04.2011 at 18:18

I think it is just impossible for today's scene to have a band with a similar success to that one that Maiden had back in their days, to be honest.

Exactly. Maiden have been lucky enough to have been there at the right time and place, in a way that will never happen again.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.04.2011 - 01:42
ANGEL REAPER
I agree....and as i said something as IM can in future only occur in reduced scale.....
Oh I almost forgot...Immortal has buildup up solid fanbase....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.04.2011 - 14:59
RavenKing
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.04.2011 at 01:42

Immortal has buildup up solid fanbase....

Yes, but they're too rooted in Black Metal to become really mainstream.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
30.04.2011 - 15:08
Tormentor666
I would go for bands such as Wolf, although I don't know how many people out of the traditional heavy metal circle actually like them. But for me, they have everything for success in a more or less small scale: six masterpieces as albums, good promotion and distribution from a good record label, etc. I think they can be "mainstream" (and understand "mainstream" the way it has to be understood in nowadays heavy metal, which is, in my opinion, nothing more than an underground movement) someday.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03.05.2011 - 19:52
ANGEL REAPER
Written by RavenKing on 30.04.2011 at 14:59

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.04.2011 at 01:42

Immortal has buildup up solid fanbase....

Yes, but they're too rooted in Black Metal to become really mainstream.

yes i know,...but as far as audience at their shows they are on way to become something like extreme "Iron Maiden"
----
22.05.2011 - 19:36
king_matt
I don't think any band of the 21st Century will get anywhere near Iron Maiden. Metal isn't mainstream anymore, so it won't happen.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
22.05.2011 - 20:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by king_matt on 22.05.2011 at 19:36

Metal isn't mainstream anymore.

Metal was mainstream?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2011 - 21:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
In the 80s it was.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.05.2011 - 23:30
king_matt
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2011 at 20:49

Written by king_matt on 22.05.2011 at 19:36

Metal isn't mainstream anymore.

Metal was mainstream?

Yep, in the 80s ^
----
22.05.2011 - 23:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2011 at 21:12

In the 80s it was.

Like radio play and sell-out concerts of 20,000 fans and whatnot? I'm not asking in a mocking tone, I just find it hard to believe - even with the success of the big four and company.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2011 - 23:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2011 at 23:34

Written by BitterCOld on 22.05.2011 at 21:12

In the 80s it was.

Like radio play and sell-out concerts of 20,000 fans and whatnot? I'm not asking in a mocking tone, I just find it hard to believe - even with the success of the big four and company.

yeah. MTV in particular... Maiden and Priest were big in the early 80s, and it morphed into the hair metal stuff which became commonplace thereafter. in my junior high (7th/8th grade) you were either a mod, a punk, or a metalhead.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.05.2011 - 23:40
king_matt
What's a mod?
----
22.05.2011 - 23:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by king_matt on 22.05.2011 at 23:40

What's a mod?

was a term for the people who liked the new wave of the time. adam and the ants, human league, new order, cure, depeche mode, etc.
----

22.05.2011 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
History 101, looks like I've been schooled. Thanks COld!
----
22.05.2011 - 23:43
king_matt
Ah.
----
23.05.2011 - 02:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Iron maiden was big enough to appear in a "buckle up" ad with the crash test dummies.

didn't see much by way of internet on a cursory search into their success, aside from carrying MTV early on ... but a wikifactoid, they had four consecutive sold out gigs in Long Beach (LA), California on the Powerslave tour. 193 dates, 3.5m people attended in a 13 month span.

that's pretty big.
----

23.05.2011 - 02:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
That's damn big. Plus you've got Anthrax guesting on Married With Children.
----
23.05.2011 - 02:35
Void_Eater
Account deleted
On the Live After Death video, Bruce says something along the lines of, "We don't get radio play, we don't get shown on MTV, we don't endorse shit, and we still sell out stadiums."
23.05.2011 - 04:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
They stopped at some point, during the switch to hair metal, but i can assure you MTV (usa) played them regularly in the early 80s. they even had clips of interviews with Bruce and others cut into 15 second vignettes that were played as bumpers coming in and out of commercial breaks. the one i remember most vividly was responding to a question on satanism in their music to which Bruce responded, "most of our songs portray him as really a bad sort of guy."

Judas Priest's "You've Got Another Thing Coming" was hte first full video i ever saw... with the last 15s of "Play the Game Tonight" by Kansas being the actual first bit of video i saw.
----

27.05.2011 - 22:30
Sammol
Maybe Dream Theater?
27.12.2011 - 04:18
NLthrasher
Though I think it is impossible nowadays to achieve the amount of popularity Iron Maiden has, I think Avantasia could have had a chance if it was a 'real' band and not a project
28.12.2011 - 22:50
gav1230
I think Evile will make it pretty big soon but I doubt there will be another band like Maiden.
03.01.2012 - 19:35
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2011 at 02:27

That's damn big. Plus you've got Anthrax guesting on Married With Children.

That episode was actually pretty funny.