Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
17.11.2009 - 10:03
IronBlackZepp
Um, Opeth is not all that well known actually, only among metal heads, almost every one has heard of Iron Maiden, well at least music fans. I know few people who have heard of Opeth. The top 5 most well known metal bands are probably (in this order) Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Moterhead. Most people could not even handle an Opeth song anyway. Why? 1: for most people death metal vocals are not easy on the ears. And 2: Prog music goes right over their heads, they cant even understand it.

It may be a while before another metal band like Maiden comes around, a band that is so well known, but also so loved by metal fans and non metal fans alike.
11.06.2010 - 22:38
busta5000
Account deleted
I love iron maiden but I still think there is no next for him I mean I still look at him as iron maiden in the 80's I mean the new album the final frontier is coming 2010 but I hope it has the classics in them because it might be the last time we hear from iron maiden
12.06.2010 - 07:22
doomvendor
I recently joined this sight because with in the last six months I discovered that I REALLY like iron maiden, and melodic metal in general (and a little Megadeth here and there). Having said that, I am really a much bigger hip-hophead than I am a metalhead, so I think I can bring some unique perspective to the conversation. I personally think that the popular music environment across all genres is so generic and bland that there is no room for a "new iron maiden". It's sickening how uncreative radio music is nowadays, at least in hip-hop. I don't think it's been this bad in the history of modern music ever. One must dig to the underground to find anything worthwile anywhere. Maybe people will start carting about the CRAFT of music again sometime, but until then I've given up hope for the radio. (A note on the much-hated lil Wayne: he was actually really good for a while, but after "lolipop" gave him a taste of radio sucess he sold out in a way that would make Metallica blush).
13.06.2010 - 18:26
Kennoth
There's not gonna be a 'new' Iron Maiden, not on that scale at least. Like some people already said, they arrived on the perfect time, which also has a huge degree to their respect both for underground elitists and mainstream media.

Nevermore? They have the quality, and they are very well known among metal community, but not further than that.
Opeth? I don't really think so. I've always found them way progressive.

I'd actually say Nightwish, no matter how humorous some people find it. There was never a golden rule that the next saviors of metal have to have male vocalist? I mean, they're pretty respected among more hardier metal fans (at least I think so, they have pretty fair rating on MS), and they have a huge mainstream success, and their lyrics are not cheesy at all. Not to mention Toumas's musicianship brilliance. It's a worthy thought at least.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
13.06.2010 - 22:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Currently i would say Sabaton has the potential...especially after signing with Nuclear Blast - now they have chance to became really popular and known all around the world...plus they are "catchy", simple to get into and attractive for many people
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.06.2010 - 22:51
Lord_Regnier
Written by Kennoth on 13.06.2010 at 18:26

I'd actually say Nightwish, no matter how humorous some people find it. There was never a golden rule that the next saviors of metal have to have male vocalist? I mean, they're pretty respected among more hardier metal fans (at least I think so, they have pretty fair rating on MS), and they have a huge mainstream success, and their lyrics are not cheesy at all. Not to mention Toumas's musicianship brilliance. It's a worthy thought at least.

Nightwish, the saviors of metal? Come on, this band sounds like a pop rock band with Anette.
This band has always been quite boring and ridiculously overrated, especially in Europe.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.06.2010 - 10:57
Fëanor
Iron Maiden is like the result of a perfect storm, and that storm may never come again...
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
15.06.2010 - 14:58
arwestromen
Written by Fëanor on 14.06.2010 at 10:57

Iron Maiden is like the result of a perfect storm, and that storm may never comes again...

that was almost a perfect description of the band
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
15.06.2010 - 15:29
Fëanor
Almost.... I just now noticed my typo.
Fixed in the original post.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
16.06.2010 - 00:49
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I'm not sure what would be considered the next "Iron Maiden". Pretty much every band that's become as successful as them are considered sellout bands.

Opeth? I dunno. Although not on this site, but there is a lot of bashing that goes on with that band and there are people who believe them to be sellouts. Plus their songs are quite lengthy which isn't friendly to a lot of mainstream people. There's another metal website Encyclopedia Metallium, which has a very large community and Opeth seems to get a lot of hate over there on the forums.

I think Cradle of Filth have also been considered to be the next Maiden. But we all know they're highly criticized for being sellouts.

If there ever is going to be a next 'Maiden then it probably isn't clear yet.
16.06.2010 - 04:35
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I think this'll show out after Iron Maiden decide to call it quits.
----
18.06.2010 - 00:03
Inlé
I'm very doubtful that there will ever be a band which garners both such huge mainstream attention and cements itself in popular culture, whilst also being accepted by "true" metalheads.

Opeth have come closest, I'd say. They have quite a big non-metal fanbase, and are obviously a massive name in metal... But IMO Iron Maiden will forever be an anomaly when it comes to such a [massive] level of respect from both "sides". I would possibly throw Dragonforce out there but if anything they're becoming underrated INSIDE the metal clique due to the massive backlash, they also seem like a band that everyone will outgrow very soon, if they're not beginning to already.

I suppose it depends on your definition of metal though. I'm not including metalcore and that kind of thing, here. In the current climate of the genre it's pretty hard to find a newer metal band which has the required level of praise/attention from mainstream media outlets. Especially when you have bands like Bullet for My Valentine pushed as metal bands, while the mislabelling of this kind of band pisses people off it also gives the genre a kind of exclusivity for those who are "in the know"... For better or for worse.
18.06.2010 - 02:17
Quetzalcoatl
Maybe a metalcore band.......(I'm just kidding) There is not answer, 'cause Iron Maiden is truly unique. (i'm speaking of "mainstream-metalhead musical market, not of musical quality)
18.06.2010 - 04:32
Zuzuz0r
The problem is, nowadays there are plenty of bands, lots of them better than Iron Maiden(back then, there weren't so many bands like today, as far as I know), another problem is that the music industry is more oriented on trends, more than it was in the past. Maybe bands that have been mentioned here like Dream Theater, Nightwish, Opeth, Children of Bodom could be candidates to become the "Next Iron Maiden", but still, they don't get such massive crowds in their shows as Iron Maiden does, they got one of their biggest crowds in Rock in Rio 2002 and at that time the band was like 27 years old, Opeth and Dream Theater are already 20 and 24 and they haven't got such enormous crowds.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
18.06.2010 - 05:17
Quetzalcoatl
And they are never going to be like Iron Maiden.
Because

Dream theater.........their music is very boring for most people
Opeth.....................the same sin of dream theater, they are boring for mainstream
Children Of Bodom......Maybe, but their new thrashy sound is awful
Nightwish.....................Maybe, but Tarja is far
18.06.2010 - 08:28
whatsacow
Written by Xim on 16.06.2010 at 00:49

I'm not sure what would be considered the next "Iron Maiden". Pretty much every band that's become as successful as them are considered sellout bands.

Opeth? I dunno. Although not on this site, but there is a lot of bashing that goes on with that band and there are people who believe them to be sellouts. Plus their songs are quite lengthy which isn't friendly to a lot of mainstream people. There's another metal website Encyclopedia Metallium, which has a very large community and Opeth seems to get a lot of hate over there on the forums.

I think Cradle of Filth have also been considered to be the next Maiden. But we all know they're highly criticized for being sellouts.

If there ever is going to be a next 'Maiden then it probably isn't clear yet.

True, any band that acheives any form of mainstream success is considered a sellout. Cradle of Filth is a perfect example, because if they werent so popular, a lot of metalheads would love them. I think one of the main things with Iron Maiden is they pioneered a style. That is why they are so respected.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.06.2010 - 11:58
Inlé
Quote:
True, any band that acheives any form of mainstream success is considered a sellout. Cradle of Filth is a perfect example, because if they werent so popular, a lot of metalheads would love them.

You're treading dodgy ground there.
18.06.2010 - 18:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Inlé on 18.06.2010 at 11:58

Quote:
True, any band that acheives any form of mainstream success is considered a sellout. Cradle of Filth is a perfect example, because if they werent so popular, a lot of metalheads would love them.

You're treading dodgy ground there.

The recent CoF album is surprisingly very not bad ;]

Also agree with you about Opeth, if there was ever a next Iron Maiden it'd be them. But with the internet music is so easily accessible now and so many people forming their own opinions based on zeitgeist, coolness, etc. rather than originality and the like. It's unlikely a band that gains so much popularity will be appreciated by all. Too many bands, too many dividing opinions, too many people basing their opinions on the negative (and positive) opinions of others.

If there is a next Iron Maiden it won't be of the metal genre, not the currently recognisable one anyway.
18.06.2010 - 20:42
Kennoth
Written by Lord_Regnier on 13.06.2010 at 22:51

Nightwish, the saviors of metal? Come on, this band sounds like a pop rock band with Anette.
This band has always been quite boring and ridiculously overrated, especially in Europe.

Fine. That's your opinion. I don't think they're 'ridiculously overrated' at all. And most people shit on their latest album, but I find it refreshing. Sure, Tarja is a better singer, no argument there, but Marco and Toumas as still in the band. All those complex melodies and compositions are still there. Even their trademark sound isn't lost in their new album, if you even bother to take a closer look at it.

I'd also note Cradle of Filth, also mentioned before: while they take a heavy amount of crap from 'true' metalheads for not being true enough, their level of popularity is quite surprising considering that their sound isn't mild at all, and Dani's vocals are almost never clean. If my memory serves me well, they're the second most successful metal act hailing from UK.
----
20.06.2010 - 10:42
Kratos
I am shocked no one has said Rammstein, I mean their music is enjoyed by non-metalheads and metalheads, their music is fairly simple and they are fairly controversial. I wouldn't call them the "next Iron maiden", but for me they are the best canditate
20.06.2010 - 21:33
Cyroth
Written by Kratos on 20.06.2010 at 10:42

I am shocked no one has said Rammstein, I mean their music is enjoyed by non-metalheads and metalheads, their music is fairly simple and they are fairly controversial. I wouldn't call them the "next Iron maiden", but for me they are the best canditate

haha,they just struck my mind and I started to write and saw your comment above...lol...yes I think they might be,but what about the metal part,are they metal enough?

although I see a band from the sub-genre power metal to have the most commercial success
clean vocals+melodic riffs are the sure win for the mainstream
----
21.06.2010 - 05:27
Kratos
Quote:
Might be,but what about the metal part,are they metal enough?

I personally think they are metal, but with Rosenrot they went a lot softer, but now they are starting to go back to their roots and becoming more heavy and industrial sounding like their older albums.
21.06.2010 - 13:43
Kennoth

Funny how I'm Rammstein fan, and haven't even thought of them. Just think about how successful they would be if they had English lyrics.

Or perhaps the German is a part of their appeal as well.

Either way, they are probably the most respected mainstream band among metalheads, and are definitely one of the candidates for the topic title.
----
21.06.2010 - 21:43
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
The new "guitar hero" would decide who would be the next big thing ... they managed to bring fame to shitty "dragonforce", who knoes, maybe in the next version they'll bring mainstream attention to an actual good band... only then would be band be accepted by both, metalheads and by music fans in general. coz casual music fans have to be "tricked" into listening to good metal music, through a game or something
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
21.06.2010 - 22:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Zombie on 21.06.2010 at 21:43

The new "guitar hero" would decide who would be the next big thing ... they managed to bring fame to shitty "dragonforce", who knoes, maybe in the next version they'll bring mainstream attention to an actual good band... only then would be band be accepted by both, metalheads and by music fans in general. coz casual music fans have to be "tricked" into listening to good metal music, through a game or something

Dragonforce was famous before they were on Guitar Hero. Through The Fire And The Flames was on Guitar Hero III released in 2007, Dragonforce signed to Roadrunner (a pretty mainstream label) in late 2005. The mainstream successful Inhuman Rampage was released in 2006.

So no, Guitar Hero is not responsible for Dragonforce's fame.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.06.2010 - 06:46
Hrothdane
Written by Kennoth on 21.06.2010 at 13:43

Funny how I'm Rammstein fan, and haven't even thought of them. Just think about how successful they would be if they had English lyrics.

Or perhaps the German is a part of their appeal as well.

Either way, they are probably the most respected mainstream band among metalheads, and are definitely one of the candidates for the topic title.

Idk, too many people call them not metal. Their melodies are way to simple for prog fans, their lyrics are VERY nsfw, and they just don't have the crossgenre appeal I think. Their greatest legacy to the scene will most likely be their completely over-the-top concerts, costume pieces, and pyrotechnics.

Side Note: The German is definitely part of their appeal with me. They really have a mastery of the German language and wordplay that ties together all their music.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
22.06.2010 - 09:38
Cyroth
What about disturbed?
I mean I still listen to them,being one the bands at the start of my metal journey and still like their music after discovering the world of metal better
----
22.06.2010 - 14:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Disturbed in one sentence with Iron Maiden...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.06.2010 - 14:57
Kennoth
Written by Cyroth on 22.06.2010 at 09:38

What about disturbed?
I mean I still listen to them,being one the bands at the start of my metal journey and still like their music after discovering the world of metal better

Shhh.... take that back

They're too untrue to be an IM successor of course
----
22.06.2010 - 16:45
Kennoth
Written by Hrothdane on 22.06.2010 at 06:46

Idk, too many people call them not metal.

Those people are also known as idiots.
----