Metal Storm logo
Stupid Names For Genres

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 08:30
What genres out there do you find completely useless? I think the whole point of this thread back in the old MS was not coming out and saying what you hate about current genres. The point was to talk about sub-genre names that people just make up due to lyrical content, image, etc...
23.04.2008 - 20:29
Hamird
Lieutenant
what about Extreme kinder garden Metal?
26.04.2008 - 03:50
Uller
Written by Hamird on 23.04.2008 at 20:29

Lol extreme kinder garden metal????? wtf!!!??? what's that??? do you any band so i can hear how is it?
----
26.04.2008 - 03:54
Uller
true epic metal sounds jut to......epic.

and how about new wave of british metal??? what the fuck is that???

lol and it will be funny some metal - latin rhythms like heavy-cumbia or death-salsa! yeah
----
26.04.2008 - 10:49
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Uller on 26.04.2008 at 03:50

Written by Hamird on 23.04.2008 at 20:29

Lol extreme kinder garden metal????? wtf!!!??? what's that??? do you any band so i can hear how is it?

yes, Linkin Park is a good example og this genre ... (this genre is not existed) but all This new bands are doing in the name of Metal, are kids, so i've called them kinder garden metal... and also LP thinks that they are so heavy, so they are Extreme Kinder garden metal
28.09.2008 - 23:03
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by {aud}devil on 08.02.2008 at 21:07

Two words: pop/punk. Not cool. first of all "punk" is something like dead kennedys, or the descendents. pop is britney and all that gay stuff.
Punk is a culture of its own and should not be associated with pop music.
If you refuse to go to McDonalds, thats punk.
Refuse to buy anything from Wal-Mart... punk.
refusing to do anything for your own benefit is punk and pop music is conforming.
Anyone else get my point?

Yes, you're right

But referring to Blink 182 and such bands as Pop/Punk STILL beats the hell out of referring to them as Straight Punk though.
29.09.2008 - 05:55
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Audreas The Muse: Yeah..that's why Good Charlotte should be hunted down and shot...bands like the Sex Pistols formed to rebel against the slick conformity of commercial rock in the 70s and yet, here are bands like Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, Lagwagon, etc... going against all the innitial wishes of what punk culture stood for! God damn, if Sid Vicious was alive today he would be out for blood on these pansy pussies who are out to ruin punk...
07.10.2008 - 00:25
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Extreme Power Metal is probably the most ironic genre name i can think of, simply because when i think of power metal i think flower ass music like Kamelot and Sonata Arctica. it just doesnt make sense to try and create a subgenre that is completely opposite of the very genre that is being created upon.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.10.2008 - 00:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 07.10.2008 at 00:25

Extreme Power Metal is probably the most ironic genre name i can think of, simply because when i think of power metal i think flower ass music like Kamelot and Sonata Arctica. it just doesnt make sense to try and create a subgenre that is completely opposite of the very genre that is being created upon.

Then you probably also have problems with, mmm, grind doom & extreme doom
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2008 - 05:26
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2008 at 00:52

Written by LeChron James on 07.10.2008 at 00:25

Then you probably also have problems with, mmm, grind doom & extreme doom

i assume those are forms of doom that have ridiculously fast drums and slower everything else? please correct me if i'm wrong, doom is an area a bit outside of my expertise.

i just cant see Children of Bodom lumping themselves in a subgenre whose main genre has Kamelot as a part of it.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.11.2008 - 17:55
arwestromen
One genre I can't get is viking metal what in the music makes it viking? fuck the lyrics, a genre can't exist just because bands are always SINGING about vikings. It's like a band who allways sings about wars and battles they should be called battle metal...oh wait
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
10.11.2008 - 01:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ArtiA on 20.04.2008 at 18:07

romantic doom , and suicide black or some band with pop/..... Prifix and anit-human black

Dis Pater, but romantic doom moustly are gothic/doom and some dark metal, Dis Pater call them selfs romantic doom, but its musicaly gothic, romantic its because singer voice

Selken - love metal, itr dont exist because you mix something, motley crue , poisen or cheep trick isnt metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.11.2008 - 11:06
Eeric
Account deleted
Epic symphonic hollywood power metal
seriously
18.11.2008 - 13:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.11.2008 at 11:06

seriously

can you give me one band example?
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2008 - 14:22
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 13:46

seriously

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands 2
and other of their records are something else made up from those five words
18.11.2008 - 14:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.11.2008 at 14:22

seriously

I know but are there Epic symphonic hollywood power metal band?
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2008 - 15:21
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Genre's with "post" in them... post rock, post hardcore and all that crap. You end up getting bands described as "post hardcore melodic death math metal with grunge and prog elements". Stupid.
18.11.2008 - 15:38
Inlé
Written by arwestromen on 09.11.2008 at 17:55

One genre I can't get is viking metal what in the music makes it viking? fuck the lyrics, a genre can't exist just because bands are always SINGING about vikings. It's like a band who allways sings about wars and battles they should be called battle metal...oh wait

My thoughts exactly.

"viking metal" is a lyrical "genre" at best. All "viking metal" bands can be slotted into existing subgenres so the creation of a new one was pointless in this case.

And the whole Battle Metal thing was and is just stupid gimmickry. Turisas are just poppy metal with random folk interludes and silly vocals. End of. Thronar are way better musically but still pretty much light symphonic stuff.
18.11.2008 - 15:59
-Soulreaper-
Written by Inlé on 18.11.2008 at 15:38

Written by arwestromen on 09.11.2008 at 17:55

My thoughts exactly.

"viking metal" is a lyrical "genre" at best. All "viking metal" bands can be slotted into existing subgenres so the creation of a new one was pointless in this case.

And the whole Battle Metal thing was and is just stupid gimmickry. Turisas are just poppy metal with random folk interludes and silly vocals. End of. Thronar are way better musically but still pretty much light symphonic stuff.

Well if you are going to characterize it like that, then what about Pagan Metal? Or any other religion based sub-genre? How can they be categorized as such seeing how only their lyrics have anything really to do with that classification? If you ask me, lyrics have a major part in how they are perceived genre wise. Sure, in a lot of cases the band can sound like death metal or black metal but have a completely different element going for them with the lyrical content. Pretty much what I am trying to say is that lyrics are a major part of the song writing along with everything else that goes into making a song, in my opinion of course.
18.11.2008 - 16:35
Inlé
Pagan metal is pretty much blackened folk metal.

I'm not sure if it was a lyrical genre to begin with, but it's definitely filled in a niche. And most Pagan metal definitely has its own sound. It's not the sturdiest subgenre but it's definitely a lot stronger as a valid genre than viking. "viking metal" is randomly slapped onto anything, even folk bands who don't sing about vikings. And even when a band is called viking metal correctly, 99% of the time they can be shunted into folk or pagan.

As for lyrical themes being an important part of judging the genre, I disagree in most cases. I mean how far could it go? If a power metal band has a load of lovey songs will it be called "relationship metal"? I don't see why some themes are arbitrarily slotted into making lyrical genres, (although with "viking metal" Vikings do seem to have a definite "cool" factor, so maybe that's why.)

But yes I'm unbiased on this thing, I would say that any random creation of a lyrical "genre" is not needed, and silly.

Now when it comes to the following:
"unblack" metal and christian thrash metal, (for example) have rightfully been separated from their more regular counterparts because people with conflicting beliefs who want to listen to the music on a pure musical level may not be "allowed" to listen to it with its standard fare lyrics. I would also say that this segregation is not a proper genre though, it's more a band with those same beliefs filling a niche and catering to a very specific audience, it's more an informative label than a genre.

I would argue strongly that there's no point in arbitrarily creating lyrical genres. For something to have a subgenre IMO you have to be able to listen to it and think "ooh, that's <x> genre." or "that's a mixture of <X> <Y> and <Z> genres" on a pure musical level. And as I said earlier, how far can it go if more lyrical themes become seen as genres?

Metal has a complicated and varied array of musical subgenres as it is. There is no point in complicating it apparently for the sake of it by creating lyrical genres as well. Any genre based on lyrics is unnecessary and I don't take them seriously. All IMO here too, but this is what I think.
18.11.2008 - 17:28
-Soulreaper-
Written by Inlé on 18.11.2008 at 16:35

Pagan metal is pretty much blackened folk metal.

I'm not sure if it was a lyrical genre to begin with, but it's definitely filled in a niche. And most Pagan metal definitely has its own sound. It's not the sturdiest subgenre but it's definitely a lot stronger as a valid genre than viking. "viking metal" is randomly slapped onto anything, even folk bands who don't sing about vikings. And even when a band is called viking metal correctly, 99% of the time they can be shunted into folk or pagan.

As for lyrical themes being an important part of judging the genre, I disagree in most cases. I mean how far could it go? If a power metal band has a load of lovey songs will it be called "relationship metal"? I don't see why some themes are arbitrarily slotted into making lyrical genres, (although with "viking metal" Vikings do seem to have a definite "cool" factor, so maybe that's why.)

But yes I'm unbiased on this thing, I would say that any random creation of a lyrical "genre" is not needed, and silly.

Now when it comes to the following:
"unblack" metal and christian thrash metal, (for example) have rightfully been separated from their more regular counterparts because people with conflicting beliefs who want to listen to the music on a pure musical level may not be "allowed" to listen to it with its standard fare lyrics. I would also say that this segregation is not a proper genre though, it's more a band with those same beliefs filling a niche and catering to a very specific audience, it's more an informative label than a genre.

I would argue strongly that there's no point in arbitrarily creating lyrical genres. For something to have a subgenre IMO you have to be able to listen to it and think "ooh, that's <x> genre." or "that's a mixture of <X> <Y> and <Z> genres" on a pure musical level. And as I said earlier, how far can it go if more lyrical themes become seen as genres?

Metal has a complicated and varied array of musical subgenres as it is. There is no point in complicating it apparently for the sake of it by creating lyrical genres as well. Any genre based on lyrics is unnecessary and I don't take them seriously. All IMO here too, but this is what I think.

That is a fair judgement on it. And I agree that if there were just as many sub-genres as there were different lyrical composition then the classification of a band would get a lot more ridiculous. But as far as coming out with a new genre of metal, I think that it takes quite a few bands pretty much doing the same thing and having a lot of the same sound to be placed in that genre. Take Death Metal for example, when it was coming up alot of bands were taking the sound of an influential band and tweaking it a little and calling it their own. At least that is how I feel about it. It is very rare to find bands these days that are original and dont sound like a clone from previous bands. A little off topic, but I am at work and very bored.
18.11.2008 - 19:27
Abattoir
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 21.04.2008 at 14:44

Mathcore? lol Funny

Does this realy exist, cause it sounds strange and uninteresting?
18.11.2008 - 22:12
totaliteraliter
Written by Inlé on 18.11.2008 at 16:35
I would argue strongly that there's no point in arbitrarily creating lyrical genres.

They aren't created arbitrarily, they are created when there are enough bands doing something significantly similar that fans find such a distinction useful. Personally I find "viking metal" useful because I like folk metal, but not so much the Scandinavian style.

Written by Abattoir on 18.11.2008 at 19:27

Written by BloodTears on 21.04.2008 at 14:44

Mathcore? lol Funny

Does this realy exist, cause it sounds strange and uninteresting?

http://www.myspace.com/dillingerescapeplan
19.11.2008 - 11:36
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 14:24

Written by Guest on 18.11.2008 at 14:22

seriously

Limb music says that rhapsody is.
19.11.2008 - 11:41
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.11.2008 at 11:36

I guess you are qualified if you hire actors to do voice-work on your album.
19.11.2008 - 11:58
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 19.11.2008 at 11:41

Written by Guest on 19.11.2008 at 11:36

I guess you are qualified if you hire actors to do voice-work on your album.

it was called filmscore metal before that
19.11.2008 - 13:51
arwestromen
How many genres would we have left if we took out the lyric genres?
Heavy Metal:
Black
Death
Doom
Thrash
Power
Progressive
Folk
plus many more like the genres that's a mix of two/three genres and thoose who you put words like extreme, melodic, suicidal, blackened before their genre
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
19.11.2008 - 14:17
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by arwestromen on 19.11.2008 at 13:51

How many genres would we have left if we took out the lyric genres?
Heavy Metal:
Black
Death
Doom
Thrash
Power
Progressive
Folk
plus many more like the genres that's a mix of two/three genres and thoose who you put words like extreme, melodic, suicidal, blackened before their genre

+Alternative
+Avantgarde
+Gothic
+Glam
+Grindcore
+Industrial
+Metalcore
+Nu
+Stoner/Sludge
+Suomi
+Symphonic

...at least on MS.
19.11.2008 - 16:48
W-Lash
Metal Master
I saw a term "duck metal"...anyone can explain?
19.11.2008 - 16:48
W-Lash
Metal Master
19.11.2008 - 16:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by W-Lash on 19.11.2008 at 16:48

That MUST refer to Cradle of Filth cause Dani sounds like Donald Duck
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996