Metal Storm logo
Industrial Music

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 08:39
I love industrial music...KMFDM, Ministry, etc...the machine-like production quality, the processed vocals and the frustrated agression that is acted out on every release...industrial rock/metal is great at anarchy and war themes and that's what's so cool about it...the sampling as well...I also think that most industrial dance bands like VNV Nation, Wumpscut and Apoptygma Berserk for combining techno music with industrial influences...
08.03.2007 - 22:10
Danny Thomas
how exciting, an industrial thread. well i happen to be a big industrial fan myself. bands like wumpscut, God Module, suicide commando, amduscia are all really good. i would recomend Viscera by God Module and melodies for the Devil by amduscia.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
10.03.2007 - 04:21
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, besides the well known metal bands Oomph! and Rammstein, I like Deathstars a lot, very dark and evil.

Also industrial rock Gravity Kills, unfprtunately disbanded, and Econoline Crush.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.04.2007 - 22:19
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
GODFLESH!!!
17.04.2007 - 16:36
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
A lot of industrial metal albums tend to have tracks of silence here and there...perhaps this is an homage to John Cage and his 4 11 composition where it was simply 4:11 of silence...? To give the listener some silence on the album in random places in order to think and contemplate on what they heard...?
18.04.2007 - 18:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
Deathstars Dark Glam Industrial Metal is the only Industrial I listen too. I don't really know, what do Industrial Metal fans think about them? I don't know since I'm clearly not one of them.
----
19.04.2007 - 05:05
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Die Sektor is by far one of the greatest Aggro-Industrial bands, go listen to them.
04.05.2007 - 17:29
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Gained a huge love of industrial music in the last year or so since going to Slimelight and other cyber-orientated clubs.

Pretty much started with your basic Synth/Futurepop/EBM of A23, VNV, Icon Of Coil, Mesh etc. which is pretty good stuff if you want something melodic to sing along to. This promptly inspired me to explore a bit further and I came across various Terror EBM (Harsh EBM, Aggrotech, whatever you wanna call it) groups such Amduscia, God Module, Grendel, Derma-Tek, Rotersand etc which gave an interesting depth to regular EBM, much more energetic and ideal for dancing but after a while I found the genre had been a bit saturated by this. I still enjoy it but there's an awful lot of samey groups out there. Derma-Tek are an interesting example of dark EBM which a somewhat more subtle and unique sound whilst Grendel are probably my current fave group of this sub-genre, Prescription Medicide being a rather standout album.

I guess the next step was Gabba/Hardcore/Speedcore and the like. Found this sub-genre to be a rather mixed bag though to be fair I've only really heard mostly Nu-style gabber so I can't compare with older stuff. Particularly enjoy Tieum, Radium and Converter and similar groups. Just have a very satisfying stomp to them without sounding overdone. The group Nasenbluten are an example of well done over-the-top hardcore, combining themselves with DnB and having a sweet aggressive sensibilty. Rather turned off by groups like Noizefucker and Angerfist. I'm sure they have relevance but I find them a bit soulless. As for Happy Hardcore you can't help but love DJ Sharpnel! Hundreds of tarcks worth of stuff spread over about 50 albums, all their music combined with various anime and video game samples. Very cheerful and fast =] Great stuff.

My most recent obsession would have to be Power/Rythmic Noise. I find it to be very hypnotic and mesmerising and most addictive. Standout groups would be the likes of Terrorfakt, Tarmvred, Xotox and C/A/T. The former being an awesome group with a very consistant stompy style wihthout being too aggressive and noisy. The latter, C/A/T, I've just heard of and have blown me away. A highly unusual mix of genres, I just find them very compelling and have some brilliant samples. A good example of very noisy rythmic noise would be the oddly named The Peoples Republic Of Europe who I almost went to see not so long ago. I've heard their later stuff is not rythmic noise anymore though.

There are various other groups I'm never really sure how to categorise, I just refer to them as industial. Such groups would be the very famous :wumpscut:, B-Ton-K, Combichrist (though clearly mixed with EBM), Feindflug, Caustic etc. They all have their own special style but pretty come under an industrial tag. A group called Pow[d]er Pussy have recently impressed me as a group somewhat obsessed with sex, yet have a fantastic, rather undefinable style. You should check out the song 'Cryogenicpussylover' to see what I mean =] one of my fave bands. Also worth noting is the mroe experimental electro/industrial group 'Black Lung'.

Another personal fave of mine is Dulce Liquido a side project of the guy behind Hocico. I guess I love his music as it's a perfect blend of powernoise and EBM of the highest quality. Well worth checking out. 'Shock Video' is a sweet album.

Other endeavors have been various Electro bands such as Fischerspooner (everyone must have heard "Emerge" at some point in their lives), Ladytron (who I recently saw support NIN), Mind.In.A.Box etc. Some Darkwave such as Lamia and various chillout and dreampop like Claire Voyant and Conjure One. Had brief encounters of Digital Hardcore, none of which I've liked so far, Breakcore such as Aphex Twin and Hellfish, the latter being most enjoyable and tons of DnB which have been rather forced down my throat after seeing Aphrodite at a club.

Currently exploring early industrial such as Throbbing Gristle (listening to their new album as I speak), Nurse With Wound and COIL. Have to say I'm loving true industrial in its purest form. Highly evocative, creepy and distinct there's something terryfyingly honest about this kind of music, like it's the only music I've ever heard that is without pretention. As well as this I'm trying to break into Neo-Folk, so far only having heard Leakh and Death In June which I'm finding most enjoyable. Also trying get hold of some Martial Industrial. Will be checking out Von Thonstahl soon.

I've found that I don't really enjoy metal and rock combined with industrial. I don't know why but bands like Ministry (for the love of god people, they didn't invent industrial you know) just don't work in my mind. Tried getting on with the new Dodheismgard and found it very dull. I guess the only exception I can think of is Red Harvest who are genuinely awesome.
04.05.2007 - 19:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I'm a pretty fanatic listener of The Young Gods, Swans, Throbbing Gristle and Godflesh, although my knowledge of the Industrial genre is rather limited... just enjoy those random bands, all of them I had been recommended, but I'm not often looking for new Industrial shit.
06.05.2007 - 10:52
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Lately I've been listening to 'The Sin: Decay' a lot. Found them through a review and they're really good. They remind me a little of Rammstein sometimes but yet they're very different.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.05.2007 - 18:46
itachi_kun
Account deleted
Panzer AG, Rammstein, some various others. recommendations wanted, love the genre
08.05.2007 - 10:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.05.2007 at 18:46

Panzer AG, Rammstein, some various others. recommendations wanted, love the genre

I'll recommend the band I mentioned in the post above 'The Sin: Decay' and also Oomph! I don't know that many other industrial bands
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.01.2008 - 19:55
Hamird
Lieutenant
my main genre which i like is Industrial ... so i like these bands:
PAIN, Aborym, Rammstein, Fear Factory, Frontline Assembly, Static-X, NIN. and also Burzum's industrial era.
imo Pain and Fear Factory is the purest industrial bands.
12.01.2008 - 22:56
DreamWeaver
Elite
No one has mentiones Jesu here? Maybe not pure industrial, but a great Doomish-Ambientish Industrial metal band. Recommended to all of you who mentioned Godflesh, since it's the same guy in front of it.
----
31.01.2008 - 19:55
Elodie Artour
Slania
I like the true industrial music.(I mean,artists like-Hocico,Blutengel,Ayria,Zombie Girl,etc.)
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
23.02.2008 - 00:06
NOИ
personally I am a fan of Industrial Black Metal, not simple Industrial Metal, but I like many bands from this genre like Rammstein, Static-X, Fear Factory, some The Kovenant and Deathstars and old Red Harvest (the last album was not so good), and other bands that I cant remember right now.. I haven't heard Ministry yet (shame on me) and I don't know which album is the best to start.

I also love Terror EBM (bands like Suicide Commando, Alien Vampires, Dawn of Ashes, Tactical Sekt and Amduscia) and EBM, Dark Electro, Industrial, Techno etc in general. and finally I like some Gabber and Speedcore (Angerfist, The Destroyer and some other), Uplifting and Psychedelic Trance and other random shit. I love fast and dark electronic music very much!
23.02.2008 - 15:49
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by NOИ on 23.02.2008 at 00:06

I haven't heard Ministry yet (shame on me) and I don't know which album is the best to start.

For a metal fan, Rio Grande Blood, Psalm69 and Last Sucker are good places to start.
Their best albums are Land Of Rape And Honey and The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, though; however, they are more industrial and post-punk, without the emphasis on metal that the other albums have.
Filth Pig is a wildcard - you might like it if you're into sludge like Melvins and Fudge Tunnel, or you might hate it.
23.02.2008 - 17:46
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Dude, I already have a thread about this in the general music forum!
25.02.2008 - 17:45
NOИ
Written by jupitreas on 23.02.2008 at 15:49

I haven't heard Ministry yet (shame on me) and I don't know which album is the best to start.

For a metal fan, Rio Grande Blood, Psalm69 and Last Sucker are good places to start.
Their best albums are Land Of Rape And Honey and The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, though; however, they are more industrial and post-punk, without the emphasis on metal that the other albums have.
Filth Pig is a wildcard - you might like it if you're into sludge like Melvins and Fudge Tunnel, or you might hate it.

thank you very much jupitreas! I heard Rio Grande Blood, Last Sucker and Psalm 69 and I like the first two more, especially Rio Grande Blood! I also heard a promo version of Cover Up Compilation, didnt like it though. next industrial metal band for me is Pain and I would like to introduce you Helltrash, a very good and promising industrial metal band from Atlanta, check them here www.myspace.com/helltrash
25.02.2008 - 18:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Somebody can tell me what is exactly the difference bewtween Industrial and EBM?
25.02.2008 - 21:41
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
you can check my article for that http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=63

EBM tends to be more concerned with danceable beats than with the sonic sculpting of original industrial music.
25.02.2008 - 23:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I just picked up the Laibach collection "Anthems" and definitely recommend them to anyone who likes Rammstein.

Quoted from Wiki:
The popular German musical group Rammstein has acknowledged influence by both the aesthetic approach and some Laibach material. When members of Laibach were asked by an interviewer about Rammstein "stealing" from them, they responded that "Laibach does not believe in originality? Therefore, Rammstein could not 'steal' much from us. They simply let themselves get inspired by our work, which is absolutely a legitimate process. We are glad that they made it. In a way, they have proven once again that a good 'copy' can make more money on the market than the 'original.' Anyhow, today we share the territory: Rammstein seem to be a kind of Laibach for adolescents and Laibach are Rammstein for 'grown-ups.'" [3]. Laibach would later provide a re-mix for the Rammstein single "Ohne Dich".

Driving fast through the backwoods, intensity building, just imagine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53J4NHYbyNQ
26.02.2008 - 00:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@jupitreas: thanx

One industrial album I had been really into lately is Coil's "Scatology". It has some awesome songs, but I still prefer the band's noise/drone stuff.
26.02.2008 - 01:31
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Scatology is absolutely brilliant. Some of the sound manipulation they did on that album is still unmatched by modern artists.
02.03.2008 - 01:06
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by jupitreas on 23.02.2008 at 15:49

I agree, but I'm surprised by your opinion about 'The Land Of Rape And Honey'. Do you find it that good ? I think it only hints at what will come later with 'The Mind...' and Psalm 69.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.03.2008 - 03:11
Tracy Terrorist
Account deleted
I've been reading through all the posts in here and no one has happened to mention Combichrist. They are one of my favorite groups to listen to (out of all the metal and non-metal groups I enjoy).
02.03.2008 - 03:24
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Why isn't this thread locked yet?
02.03.2008 - 11:45
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
@Lowelas - this thread is 2 years old, yours isnt. If anything, yours should be closed...

Written by Darkside Momo on 02.03.2008 at 01:06

I agree, but I'm surprised by your opinion about 'The Land Of Rape And Honey'. Do you find it that good ? I think it only hints at what will come later with 'The Mind...' and Psalm 69.

Rape is by far their most innovative album... The Mind was a more metal Killing Joke and Psalm69 etc. are basically one formula repeated over and over again. But Rape - that was innovative and different.
02.03.2008 - 18:08
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by jupitreas on 02.03.2008 at 11:45

@Lowelas - this thread is 2 years old, yours isnt. If anything, yours should be closed...

Written by Darkside Momo on 02.03.2008 at 01:06

Rape is by far their most innovative album... The Mind was a more metal Killing Joke and Psalm69 etc. are basically one formula repeated over and over again. But Rape - that was innovative and different.

Sure, it was the first of its kind... But I find it quite boring at times, as I said for me it only hints at what will come. BTW, I never thought of The Mind as a more metal KJ, but that's quite right !
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.03.2008 - 19:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Industrial metal is a Love-it and Hate-it genre for me.

The bands that are good to me... I just love them... the others..
I just deeply hate them.
Don't know why.

I don't listen to that kind of metal everyday... The bands that I use to like are Rammstein, KMFDM, Ministry and right now I discovered Deathstarts... really good band IMO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.03.2008 - 06:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I was listening to Rammstein, KMFDM and Ministry every day because they were on my iPod