Metal Storm logo
USBM

21.12.2008 - 11:27
Daniel
" United States Black Metal"

I'm not sure how many people are for or against, love or hate USBM

I have witnessed many debates about it & tons of people who really dislike it and believe it doesnt belong. Does black metal belong in america?

Please discuss your thoughts on USBM.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
21.12.2008 - 13:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There's a pretty good USBM scene as far as I'm concerned but like any scene it has its shite bands too. Bands that are testament to the scene and ones that I like and remember are: WITTR, Xasthur (arguably), Leviathan (new album anyway), Lurker of Chalice, Cobalt, Velvet Cacoon, Weakling, Wind of the Black Mountains, Njiqahdda, Wrath of the Weak, old Nachtmystium. Not so good could include: Krallice. God I hate Krallice.

But yeah, the US scene has a nice texture thing going on that seems to deviate quite nicely from the often overdone and trite European scenes. I've not been privy to any serious discussions on the scene so I'd be interested in why people are against it.

Personally I think UKBM has a bit more to offer nowadays but then again I'm more in tune with it than I am USBM. I'm sure there's a load of decent underground USBM bands that I've been listening to and didn't realise they were from the US.
21.12.2008 - 15:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmm USBM Its goods cene, but there problem, USA are to big and ther emany amny BM bands amny good what I even dong know, soem are good but unfortunatly I have no time for all good bands

My fav are Sin Origin and Judas Iscariot, those are much better bands and those I like moe how other bands but I do not say other are bad

From metalstorm I know, actualy all USBM bands I know from MS< expet those 2, so I disvovered here bands like Nachtmystium , Leviathan, Ezurate, Twilight, Krieg, Black Funeral , Xasthur , Wolves In The Throne Room , Lurker Of Chalice , Dragonlord , Kult Ov Azazel/ Azezal, Velvet Cacoon , Ash Pool , Brown Jenkins , Weakling , Krallice , Ludicra

I belive there more good BM bnads in USA like I sad I discovere a lot of USBM from MS because there to many good bands, all what I mentioned are damn good band sbut I havnt hera those bands all CD and listen those rear
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.12.2008 - 18:32
ß
Problem?
USBM scene is decent.. but one of the weakest scenes imo. There are some good bands like Ceremonial Castings,Wolves In The Throne Room,
Xasthur and a few others but there seems to be lack of good bands that stand out for me. The USBM scene is also filled with way too many mediocre DBM bands.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
21.12.2008 - 18:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ß on 21.12.2008 at 18:32

USBM scene is decent.. but one of the weakest scenes imo. There are some good bands like Ceremonial Castings,Wolves In The Throne Room,

Weekest? Man in that case go look at Latinamerica BM scene, there many good band sbut 95% of Latin bands sucks and are so big posers and 100% coppy evil, kvly norske bm scene and pretend more stanaists how ever Ghaal can be
----

apos;'
[image]
21.12.2008 - 22:36
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The US have the best bm scene nowadays to these ears... besides the typical recommendations (Weakling, leviathan, Krieg, Goatwhore, Xasthur etc) there are some extremely worthy acts remaining very obscure, especially Corvus Corax (an absolutely amazing symphonic black metal band), Sangraal, Wrath Of The Weak (although they had gained much stage with their, or well, "his" last album), Night Conquers Day, Pantheon and many others.
21.12.2008 - 23:16
ß
Problem?
Written by Bad English on 21.12.2008 at 18:48

Weekest? Man in that case go look at Latinamerica BM scene, there many good band sbut 95% of Latin bands sucks and are so big posers and 100% coppy evil, kvly norske bm scene and pretend more stanaists how ever Ghaal can be

I know the Latin scene isn't very good. Look how big the states are compared to other countries that produce plenty of good black metal bands wouldn't you at least expect them to put out better bands? And when comparing the USBM to other scenes like the French black metal scene the French black metal scene blows the USBM scene out of the water.
----
21.12.2008 - 23:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ß on 21.12.2008 at 23:16

And when comparing the USBM to other scenes like the French black metal scene the French black metal scene blows the USBM scene out of the water.

which bands? The only two bands that would be capable of that would be Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nort and that's it imo.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2008 - 23:32
ß
Problem?
Some other good ones are Anorexia Nervosa,Anateus,Peste Noire,Spektr and Mütiilation even though horrible overrated. It could also due to the fact I dislike the sound of USBM it may be just me but I tend to find that European bm has a totally different sound when it comes to atmosphere,emotions and what not
----
21.12.2008 - 23:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
SOrry but all those bands you just mentioned I find totally inferior to any of the bands Southern Wind posted. Anorexia Nervosa I find the most overrated french bm band together with Mutiilation, both shouldn't even be allowed within a mile of bands such as Leviathan, Xasthur, Wolves In The Throne Room, Weakling, Krallice, Krieg, Lurker Of Chalice and even Judas Iscariot.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2008 - 23:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted

latinamerican black metal bands doesn't suck, some of my favourite bands of the genre come from countries like Brazil, Colombia, my own and at some lower degree Peru, but it has one problem, and that is the lack of evolution... I mean, South America can still be a stronghold for blackers who think Bathory sold out after their shitty self-titled album, but you won't hear any revolutiuonary black metal band from this part of the world, like you will do from the USA.
21.12.2008 - 23:54
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Kreig is good shit. Wolves in the Throne Room, Xasthur, Leviathan. How is USBM weak?
22.12.2008 - 00:02
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.12.2008 at 23:41

SOrry but all those bands you just mentioned I find totally inferior to any of the bands Southern Wind posted. Anorexia Nervosa I find the most overrated french bm band together with Mutiilation, both shouldn't even be allowed within a mile of bands such as Leviathan, Xasthur, Wolves In The Throne Room, Weakling, Krallice, Krieg, Lurker Of Chalice and even Judas Iscariot.

France has the most overrated black metal scene in this world. I know you'l agree with me about that bunch of pathetic, self-parodic sexually frustrated assholes of LLN, but to these ears even bands like Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord are worthless, pretentious as fuck failed experiments, by pseudo-intellectual people that seem to waste more time thinking of "intelligent" lyrics and concepts for their albums than writing good musics. French culture DOES have a problem in every single one of its manifestations by now... literature is written from theory instead of reality, movie and theater makers are just a bunch of stupids who still think art has a social value and so they pretentiously try to make their audience "think" instead of dedicating their fucking lives to make good pieces, painting is simply nonexistent... two of my (potentially) better teachers at university wew fucked-offed after making doctorates in France... now all their methods are based in plain TEHORY, while they clean their asses with REALITY. Sorry if I ofend anyone, but the French is an officialy sick culture. Ah, and this is written by someone whose blood is by more than half French.

sorry for the off-topic.
22.12.2008 - 00:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ß on 21.12.2008 at 23:16

I know the Latin scene isn't very good. Look how big the states are compared to other countries that produce plenty of good black metal bands wouldn't you at least expect them to put out better bands? And when comparing the USBM to other scenes like the French black metal scene the French black metal scene blows the USBM scene out of the water.

Those what I meantioned is much better bands what France ever producded in BM best frech band Mystic Forest and Alcest IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
22.12.2008 - 00:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Southern Wind I don't find Deathspell Omega pretentious at all, Blut Aus Nort of course are also in my opion pretentious as fuck, but I still like their music immensely.

Yes, you are right that the French are bloody pretentious usually especially when it comes to literature and cinema, but also when it comes to haute cuisine btw. They only want to make people think, like you said, and it's usually all based on theory and not on reality. Just look at the crapload of philosophers who are French. Talking about philosophy, sorry to say but those cunts should be shot. No feeling with reality whatsoever,

Okay like you said (agreeing once more) enough off-topicness.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 01:34
Daniel
I always thought Wolves In The Throne Room were canadian.

The USBM scene has been put down by many Scandinavian black metal elitists. With arguements like " How can americans possibly grasp the concept of black metal" . Which i guess can be quite a negative opinion, But when you think of where the roots of black metal actually came from (Norway, Sweden etc) it can leave these other countries ( in this topic the U.S) open for critism. Regardless if the music is good or not.

How do you guys feel?
----
22.12.2008 - 02:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniel on 22.12.2008 at 01:34

The USBM scene has been put down by many Scandinavian black metal elitists. With arguements like " How can americans possibly grasp the concept of black metal" . Which i guess can be quite a negative opinion, But when you think of where the roots of black metal actually came from (Norway, Sweden etc) it can leave these other countries ( in this topic the U.S) open for critism. Regardless if the music is good or not.

How do you guys feel?

Wolves In The Throne Room are from very near to Seattle, so that does sound American to me.

as for the roots of black metal... those are from the UK (Venom), Denmark (Mercyful Fate) and Sweden (Bathory) so toally not Norway. Those bands were the SSECOND wave of black metal actually.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 02:44
Daniel
Touche'... regardless, both first wave & second wave were not american. So you can see where the anti- USBM statement is coming from. ^ ( not that i am anti usbm).
----
22.12.2008 - 02:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniel on 22.12.2008 at 02:44

Touche'... regardless, both first wave & second wave were not american. So you can see where the anti- USBM statement is coming from. ^ ( not that i am anti usbm).

Oh certainly I can see where that is coming from but I find it utterly ridiculous. If we go by that sort of reasoning tangent then Norwegian black metal should be regarded as crap as well since they aren't the true ones either.
I don't mind where my M comes from as long as I like it.

Btwm why did you think Wiolves In The Throne Room were from Canada? Oh yeah tere is a mp3 audio interivew with them done by by me somewhere on this site as well...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 03:09
Daniel
Totally man. I agree with you 100% . Although I do think Norway of course added a shitload to the sound and popularity of it (possibly for reasons other then the music, as we are all aware).

I mean there is a significant difference between for example.. early Bathory & Immortal. But i guess with all metal it is just evolution. As i guess i can say there is a significant difference between Immortal & Abyssmal Sorrow (Suicidal Deppressive Black Metal). But i guess the arguement of true & kvlt all comes from the scene part of the music.

& I have no idea why i thought they were canadian. Its strange, just something i have always had etched in my brain up until now.
----
22.12.2008 - 03:14
Daniel
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2008 at 02:14

How do you guys feel?

Wolves In The Throne Room are from very near to Seattle, so that does sound American to me.

as for the roots of black metal... those are from the UK (Venom), Denmark (Mercyful Fate) and Sweden (Bathory) so toally not Norway. Those bands were the SSECOND wave of black metal actually.

P.S Just got a Mercyful Fate patch for my battle jacket.. it rules! .

But with that, I guess Venom may have created the term black metal with of course the album, But did these other bands go under the stream or call themselves black metal? If you get where im coming from.

Those bands definately created the sound & without them the whole norwegian movement wouldnt have existed.. although the norwegian movement from the beggining called themselves Black Metal. ( Mayhem, Burzum, Immortal, Gorgoroth etc)
----
22.12.2008 - 13:32
Sunioj
I think what makes the US scene special is the rather unorthodox sounding bands it churns out. My favorite being Xasthur, Leviathan, Krallice, Nightbringer, Krohm, etc. I can't get into stuff like Judas Iscariot or Wolves in the Throne Room though.
22.12.2008 - 18:07
Khaldi
Amm.. i try to write my favorite bands from U.S.A.

one of my favorite bands Xasthur
Judas Iscariot
Xenophobia
Krohm
Pantheon
Lorde Of All Desires
Crimson Moon
Black Funeral
Absu
Sanctus
Krieg
Velvet Cacoon
Acheron
Abazagorath
Veil
Thokk

and finely i want present you Armenian band from U.S.A. Vishapakahr http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=97934 , yes my nik is the .... ))
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
22.12.2008 - 19:51
TheBigRossowski
To be honest, I'm quite astounded that some of my other German 'Comrades' (we're not Russians, but we can still be comrades! ) aren't too familiar with the USBM scene. I mean, even the BIGGER names i.e. Xasthur and Leviathan.

I think its out of spite and they just don't bother checking some of these bands out. I also saw something funny on MA out of Tennessee. Frostbitten Sabbath... its named something else now...Crimson...whatever. But the guy looks so funny. It's hard to imagine that kind of stuff from TENNESSEE!!!

For Dark Funeral fans, check out Christhate... it's right in the same alley. Its all about hating Jesus with them, lol.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
23.12.2008 - 02:03
Daniel
Hahahah.

And damn! I never knew Crimson Moon were american either.
----
23.12.2008 - 02:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2008 at 02:14

How do you guys feel?

i was reading an interview with the drummer, Aaron, in Terrorizer where the mag cites the band as from Olympia, British Columbia... even Terrorizer thinks they are Canadian!!

as for bashing the US scene, simple, it's cool to bash on America. it's the in thing to do. don't think for yourself, just join the herd and do the slag!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.12.2008 - 05:36
Punisher
Account deleted
I. C. E. (Imperial Crystalline Entombment) is a great USBM band.
23.12.2008 - 13:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 23.12.2008 at 02:47

i was reading an interview with the drummer, Aaron, in Terrorizer where the mag cites the band as from Olympia, British Columbia... even Terrorizer thinks they are Canadian!!

they got the town name right, but the state wrong Yes WitTR are from Olympia, but this one being in Washington..
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2008 - 21:50
TheBigRossowski
Quote:
Quote:

...as for bashing the US scene, simple, it's cool to bash on America. it's the in thing to do. don't think for yourself, just join the herd and do the slag!

Okay! Fuck you guys then! Oh... shit, I'm an American... fuck! Wait, I'll reevaluate this situation later, lol.

Anyone heard of Vetus Obscurum (pre-Krohm material from Numinas)? Pretty cool shit if anyone is interested.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
10.01.2009 - 09:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Blood Red Moon on 10.01.2009 at 07:18

I forgot to mention Inquisition in my post, whom I find to be one of the best USBM bands, originally Colombian but now American, so it counts.

Typhus is okay.

No, it doesn't counts... there are many examples of bands that doesnn't stop to belong to some country just because the members move... Inquisition is a band formed (and continued) by Colombian members, they had made most of their career in Colombia and if they moved for any reason they don't stop being a Colombian band, just like Criminal aren't German bwcause their members moved there and Abyssic Hate are an Australian band even if its only member lives in Poland.