Metal Storm logo
USBM

Original post

Posted by Daniel, 21.12.2008 - 11:27
" United States Black Metal"

I'm not sure how many people are for or against, love or hate USBM

I have witnessed many debates about it & tons of people who really dislike it and believe it doesnt belong. Does black metal belong in america?

Please discuss your thoughts on USBM.
10.05.2010 - 05:16
Got Mayhem?
Just got Leviathan's "The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide" to listen to. I've enjoyed WitTR, Lurker of Chalice, Judas Iscariot, and Weakling so by all means I should be enjoying this Wrest band as well.
----
10.05.2010 - 23:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.05.2010 at 05:16

Just got Leviathan's "The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide" to listen to. I've enjoyed WitTR, Lurker of Chalice, Judas Iscariot, and Weakling so by all means I should be enjoying this Wrest band as well.

Their final album, "Massive Conspiracy Against All Life" mixed Leviathan with a nice double shot of his side project, Lurker of Chalice. End result was a great release. Consider this a ringing endorsement of that particular album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.05.2010 - 00:08
Got Mayhem?
Written by BitterCOld on 10.05.2010 at 23:48

Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.05.2010 at 05:16

Their final album, "Massive Conspiracy Against All Life" mixed Leviathan with a nice double shot of his side project, Lurker of Chalice. End result was a great release. Consider this a ringing endorsement of that particular album.

Nice. I'll look into it. I listened to "TtSloS" today and enjoyed it quite a bit. I can't really see why people rag on the US scene, if you take the time to actually look at some of these bands there is some quality BM going on here.
----
11.05.2010 - 00:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Got Mayhem? on 11.05.2010 at 00:08

Nice. I'll look into it. I listened to "TtSloS" today and enjoyed it quite a bit. I can't really see why people rag on the US scene, if you take the time to actually look at some of these bands there is some quality BM going on here.

I know people keep on goign on about The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide but I for one totally prefer the follow up Tentacles Of Whorror and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.
Like you, even though I am European I can't really see why people rag on USBM either. Imo the USBM is actually way more original than most of the current day European black metal scene.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2010 - 00:52
Got Mayhem?
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2010 at 00:19

I know people keep on goign on about The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide but I for one totally prefer the follow up Tentacles Of Whorror and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.
Like you, even though I am European I can't really see why people rag on USBM either. Imo the USBM is actually way more original than most of the current day European black metal scene.

I'm definitely interested in hearing those albums. If they're the same (or better) quality material as the first album then I should enjoy it a lot. This Wrest fellow has a good formula for his bands.

Anyone here listen to Judas Iscariot? I hear their early albums especially are up to par with the albums coming out of the 1990's Scandinavian scene.
----
12.05.2010 - 20:11
The Turbanator
I'm getting Cobalt's Gin and also Eater of Birds. Gonna take a look into them.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.05.2010 - 20:12
TheBigRossowski
Written by Got Mayhem? on 11.05.2010 at 00:52

I'm definitely interested in hearing those albums. If they're the same (or better) quality material as the first album then I should enjoy it a lot. This Wrest fellow has a good formula for his bands.

Anyone here listen to Judas Iscariot? I hear their early albums especially are up to par with the albums coming out of the 1990's Scandinavian scene.

Abso-fucking-lutely, Dude. I sometimes forget that JI is even from the states. I will give kudos to my fellow comrades in the states, they make some wicked black metal. I think, that's what I've been searching for in the past month or two-just USBM. I Shalt Become is pretty dark as well!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
12.05.2010 - 20:18
The Turbanator
Guys. I really recommend Fauna's album 'Rain'. It's a 60 minute track with pure ambient feeling. It takes you someplace else!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.05.2010 - 23:25
Got Mayhem?
Written by TheBigRossowski on 12.05.2010 at 20:12

Written by Got Mayhem? on 11.05.2010 at 00:52

Abso-fucking-lutely, Dude. I sometimes forget that JI is even from the states. I will give kudos to my fellow comrades in the states, they make some wicked black metal. I think, that's what I've been searching for in the past month or two-just USBM. I Shalt Become is pretty dark as well!

I Shalt Become sounds good, I'm going to look into them some more. I know what you mean about getting hooked on USBM. Lately nearly all that's been playing on my ipod has been Weakling, Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, Judas Iscariot...

It's weird, when I first started listening to BM all I knew where the Scandinavian bands and they were all I pretty much listened to. Now though I think I listen to more US, French, and other smaller scenes than our northern friends. Not complaining, just something I'd noticed.
----
13.05.2010 - 11:42
TheBigRossowski
And I'm still waiting to get my hands on a fucking Leviathan shirt, but Moribund has been out for awhile. They said there should be new shirts in the next few months though.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
16.05.2010 - 23:07
The Turbanator
Right quick suggestions. I'm about to start listening to Xashtur. Which album should I start with first?
----
01.06.2010 - 23:05
Got Mayhem?
http://www.myspace.com/avichispace
Pretty good USBM right there. The vocals struck me as being Wrest-ish for the quick listen I gave them. Definitely worth looking into if Leviathan tickles your fancy.
----
02.06.2010 - 20:15
Kinzoku
Chaos Moon, good USBM. Highly recommended.
02.06.2010 - 20:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Kinzoku on 02.06.2010 at 20:15

Chaos Moon, good USBM. Highly recommended.

Yes! Languor Into Echoes, Beyond is a fantastic release. I also own the other one, Origin Of Apparition or something, but I still have to check it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.06.2010 - 20:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I keep hearing Chaos Moon mentioned, I should really check them out. Are they the Christian black metal one?
02.06.2010 - 20:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.06.2010 at 20:38

I keep hearing Chaos Moon mentioned, I should really check them out. Are they the Christian black metal one?

You definitely should! Languor Into Echoes, Beyond is absolutely grand! I can't vouch for the other full-length.

I'm not sure if they're christian. I don't think so. This may be a long shot, but maybe you're thinking of Reverorum Ib Malacht?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.06.2010 - 20:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 02.06.2010 at 20:47

You definitely should! Languor Into Echoes, Beyond is absolutely grand! I can't vouch for the other full-length.

I'm not sure if they're christian. I don't think so. This may be a long shot, but maybe you're thinking of Reverorum Ib Malacht?

No it's definitely not them =p I'm sure there's a relatively well known unblack metal band with Chaos or Moon in. Might be Crimson Moon? I dunno. I'll definitely check out that rec though, cheers!
02.06.2010 - 21:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.06.2010 at 20:55

No it's definitely not them =p I'm sure there's a relatively well known unblack metal band with Chaos or Moon in. Might be Crimson Moon? I dunno. I'll definitely check out that rec though, cheers!

I also keep associaitng Chaos Moon with Christian BM somehow, but like you said it could also be Crimson Moon.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2010 - 22:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Chaos moon are USBM? sweet. i was not aware of that, but will add them as another "bullet in the gun" whenever countering someone who has disparaging remarks for anything US.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.06.2010 - 00:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 21:33

Written by Guest on 02.06.2010 at 20:55

I also keep associaitng Chaos Moon with Christian BM somehow, but like you said it could also be Crimson Moon.

I Googled it in a half arsed-fashion and Crimson Moonlight came up as a christian black metal band so it must be that. I guess.
03.06.2010 - 01:16
Got Mayhem?
Crimson Moonlight are indeed a Christian BM band, though they're from Sweden and not the States.
----
03.06.2010 - 03:05
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Honestly there are not a lot of good black metal bands from the united states. Part of it I feel comes from the fact that the US doesn't take a lot of it's music from classical composers so they sorta miss a major basis for black metal writing. Then again a lot of bands form the us (across a few genre's, not just metal) sorta sound like they like to play chords and form bands without really getting good with an instrument.

The Death Metal from the US is damn good, and the doom metal is not bad either, and we have some good thrash metal too. Some of our more "Agro" sounding BM is good but takes hard from the really old school sound. So we got that part down to a decant standard. I just don't think that the way black metal gets it's orchastration is something that's settled in enough over here. The musical/creative dimensionality seems to lack a lot when it comes to writing on that level.

Now I don't know how much it's like this in other areas but where I'm at in the US metal itself really doesn't get any play or exposure. "That metal show" for example really doesn't cover a full metal scene at all. VH1 plays yesteryear's cock rock and slaps the term metal on it along with some hardcore bands to. Either way the perception on metal here went from metal to "it's hard, sounds scary (to a parent) and we can sell this to more people if we call it metal". That's really not a good perception to the art itself. It's more like "slap for sale on it and show it to people with a label".

Like I can name bands that are solid from the US on the BM end... Krieg, Judas Iscariot, Abigail Williams (Honestly I was wowed with these cats), Krallice and Averse Sefira. If I'm forgetting anything (Which is possible, I listen to a lot more than I'm thinking on where it's from) then my bad. If I just haven't heard enough from the US then I can say it's possible. I gravitated to the European scene pretty hard. If I were asked those are the ones that come to mind and sorta stay there as "Well this is it so far... maybe we'll catch on more in that part of music".

I also should up Black Funeral.... like this is the only thing I've ever heard that scared me and they're from the US also.
----
03.06.2010 - 03:39
Got Mayhem?
Written by Ph0eNiX on 03.06.2010 at 03:05

Honestly there are not a lot of good black metal bands from the united states. Part of it I feel comes from the fact that the US doesn't take a lot of it's music from classical composers so they sorta miss a major basis for black metal writing. Then again a lot of bands form the us (across a few genre's, not just metal) sorta sound like they like to play chords and form bands without really getting good with an instrument.

The Death Metal from the US is damn good, and the doom metal is not bad either, and we have some good thrash metal too. Some of our more "Agro" sounding BM is good but takes hard from the really old school sound. So we got that part down to a decant standard. I just don't think that the way black metal gets it's orchastration is something that's settled in enough over here. The musical/creative dimensionality seems to lack a lot when it comes to writing on that level.

Like I can name bands that are solid from the US on the BM end... Krieg, Judas Iscariot, Abigail Williams (Honestly I was wowed with these cats), Krallice and Averse Sefira. If I'm forgetting anything (Which is possible, I listen to a lot more than I'm thinking on where it's from) then my bad. If I just haven't heard enough from the US then I can say it's possible. I gravitated to the European scene pretty hard. If I were asked those are the ones that come to mind and sorta stay there as "Well this is it so far... maybe we'll catch on more in that part of music".

I also should up Black Funeral.... like this is the only thing I've ever heard that scared me and they're from the US also.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the classical influences. Anyone can listen to a composer from any country and take something away from their music. The US scene seems to get a bad rap for a couple of reasons: 1) We're so spread out. It's hard to get a 'movement' going when there isn't anyone around you to collaborate with for miles (Perhaps this is the beginning of the infamous US One Man Band). 2) We lack Fjords. This is probably the biggest problem, because it gives us a lot less to be grim about. The French lack Fjords, yet their BM scene is working out fine, but that's probably because they have all their surrendering and such to be grim about.

Try out these bands if you haven't already tried them:
Weakling, Agalloch (sure, why not), Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, Wolves in the Throne Room, Absu, and any other bands that have been listed in posts past.
----
03.06.2010 - 03:56
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the classical influences. Anyone can listen to a composer from any country and take something away from their music. The US scene seems to get a bad rap for a couple of reasons: 1) We're so spread out. It's hard to get a 'movement' going when there isn't anyone around you to collaborate with for miles (Perhaps this is the beginning of the infamous US One Man Band). 2) We lack Fjords. This is probably the biggest problem, because it gives us a lot less to be grim about. The French lack Fjords, yet their BM scene is working out fine, but that's probably because they have all their surrendering and such to be grim about.

Try out these bands if you haven't already tried them:
Weakling, Agalloch (sure, why not), Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice, Wolves in the Throne Room, Absu, and any other bands that have been listed in posts past.

Honestly, I never got into Absu (Heard it but it just didn't hit it off with me all that well), and Agalloch really hits me like doom metal does (personally I felt they were misdiagnosed). I'll check the rest out though. Word on the band suggestions, sir!

Hmmm.......... Your Fjords thing makes sense to a certain degree. You're right, we don't actually have those which also gives me an idea. I'm sure if we can get a team of people (Mostly demolitionists and landscapers) I feel we can "easily ensure the American Fjord project" thusly "Dramatically altering the Black Metal scene here".
So how would you explain England?

The composer thing, the country really takes a lot of its musical base from jazz on the overall. Like the flow of how the classical stuff worked I felt really doesn't play a part in enough with arrangement, style and even writing.

Agree'd on the spread out part, I didn't think to put that in as a factor but I also can't say the with all the media we still have in regard to being spread out we're still doing any level of justice for the different kinds of music that are out there. That seems to go to the highest bidder (Who is looking at it from a "This sells, this doesn't sell") more than presenting an art form.

Case in point... The Ozzfest with Dimmu Borgir on the tour... Aside from them getting stiffed w/ a 1/2hour set the crowd I was around was like "WTF" when Dimmu Borgir was on. The "I've never really heard this before, what do I do" kind of "WTF". Now it could be from the whole deal of area and exposure but it does also show that there's not enough that really is showing out the style enough.

(Edit add cuz i just thought of it)
Just in case it's a matter of "Time passed" with that statement....
Anytime I've seen a black metal band they always have some kind of sound problem for the 1st 3 tracks for their set. It's like "they didn't think of it" on the sound boards or with the sound systems.
----
03.06.2010 - 04:25
Got Mayhem?
Quote:
Written by Ph0eNiX on 03.06.2010 at 03:56

Honestly, I never got into Absu (Heard it but it just didn't hit it off with me all that well), and Agalloch really hits me like doom metal does (personally I felt they were misdiagnosed). I'll check the rest out though. Word on the band suggestions, sir!

Hmmm.......... Your Fjords thing makes sense to a certain degree. You're right, we don't actually have those which also gives me an idea. I'm sure if we can get a team of people (Mostly demolitionists and landscapers) I feel we can "easily ensure the American Fjord project" thusly "Dramatically altering the Black Metal scene here".
So how would you explain England?

The composer thing, the country really takes a lot of its musical base from jazz on the overall. Like the flow of how the classical stuff worked I felt really doesn't play a part in enough with arrangement, style and even writing.

Agree'd on the spread out part, I didn't think to put that in as a factor but I also can't say the with all the media we still have in regard to being spread out we're still doing any level of justice for the different kinds of music that are out there. That seems to go to the highest bidder (Who is looking at it from a "This sells, this doesn't sell") more than presenting an art form.

Case in point... The Ozzfest with Dimmu Borgir on the tour... Aside from them getting stiffed w/ a 1/2hour set the crowd I was around was like "WTF" when Dimmu Borgir was on. The "I've never really heard this before, what do I do" kind of "WTF". Now it could be from the whole deal of area and exposure but it does also show that there's not enough that really is showing out the style enough.

(Edit add cuz i just thought of it)
Just in case it's a matter of "Time passed" with that statement....
Anytime I've seen a black metal band they always have some kind of sound problem for the 1st 3 tracks for their set. It's like "they didn't think of it" on the sound boards or with the sound systems.

England's weather report is 50% fog and 50% rain. I don't think it would take very long for everyone to get quite grim in that environment. We should just convert the Rockies into a Fjord, it would give tons of Americans jobs, which we badly need, and would also serve to instill a sense of national pride in the American spirit of ingenuity.

People always love to say that Jazz is the only original American form of music, which I say 'poo' too and try to explain to them the American Thrash and Death metal scene but they never really seem to understand...their loss I suppose. But you're right in saying that a lot of our music takes influence from Jazz and also the blues, without which metal just wouldn't be metal.

America's media is a machine that doesn't just pick the ripest fruit from the Tree of Music, it tears the whole damn tree up and packages it into neat little containers. It's amazing that even a band like Dimmu can have a hard time getting attention here. I have talked to many people in my school who don't even know of Iron Maiden. Not just that they haven't heard the music, they've never heard of the band! Metal (and I mean metal, not ____core or whatever else is "In" right now) is just meant to be underground in the States. It sucks bro.
----
03.06.2010 - 04:50
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Quote:
Quote:

England's weather report is 50% fog and 50% rain. I don't think it would take very long for everyone to get quite grim in that environment. We should just convert the Rockies into a Fjord, it would give tons of Americans jobs, which we badly need, and would also serve to instill a sense of national pride in the American spirit of ingenuity.

People always love to say that Jazz is the only original American form of music, which I say 'poo' too and try to explain to them the American Thrash and Death metal scene but they never really seem to understand...their loss I suppose. But you're right in saying that a lot of our music takes influence from Jazz and also the blues, without which metal just wouldn't be metal.

America's media is a machine that doesn't just pick the ripest fruit from the Tree of Music, it tears the whole damn tree up and packages it into neat little containers. It's amazing that even a band like Dimmu can have a hard time getting attention here. I have talked to many people in my school who don't even know of Iron Maiden. Not just that they haven't heard the music, they've never heard of the band! Metal (and I mean metal, not ____core or whatever else is "In" right now) is just meant to be underground in the States. It sucks bro.

Sucks dick like a hooker with jagged teeth who's in withdrawl from heroin.

It's part of the complacent yet "For sale" culture we as a society in general enable, which is disgusting. IT also cheapens everything we put out a lot. It's sad we allow this

The Iron Maiden thing is just shocking..... I'm gonna need a moment alone for that...

Good shit on the chattering too, yo! You rolled out some good shit!
----
03.06.2010 - 04:56
Got Mayhem?
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Ph0eNiX on 03.06.2010 at 04:50

Sucks dick like a hooker with jagged teeth who's in withdrawl from heroin.

It's part of the complacent yet "For sale" culture we as a society in general enable, which is disgusting. IT also cheapens everything we put out a lot. It's sad we allow this

The Iron Maiden thing is just shocking..... I'm gonna need a moment alone for that...

Good shit on the chattering too, yo! You rolled out some good shit!

Haha yea you too. Maybe one day America will get a chance to kick ass and get some notoriety.
----
03.06.2010 - 05:10
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
IT would be nice but all in all America (after it's mask breaks) need to actually allow that.
----
07.06.2010 - 10:21
SerratedSyringe
I think the US has a blend of Blackened Thrash/Death in the vein of Absu, Skeletonwitch, Goatwhore, etc. that works very well.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
07.06.2010 - 22:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Chaos Moon blew my proverbials off. Some of the best music I've heard in a while. Haven't had chance to listen to them much though so looking forward to giving them a thorough seeing to.