Metal Storm logo
USBM

Original post

Posted by Daniel, 21.12.2008 - 11:27
" United States Black Metal"

I'm not sure how many people are for or against, love or hate USBM

I have witnessed many debates about it & tons of people who really dislike it and believe it doesnt belong. Does black metal belong in america?

Please discuss your thoughts on USBM.
07.06.2010 - 22:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.06.2010 at 22:55

Chaos Moon blew my proverbials off. Some of the best music I've heard in a while. Haven't had chance to listen to them much though so looking forward to giving them a thorough seeing to.

Right? I knew you'd love it. I'll make a point of finally checking Origin Of Apparition.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.06.2010 - 23:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 07.06.2010 at 22:58

Written by Guest on 07.06.2010 at 22:55

Chaos Moon blew my proverbials off. Some of the best music I've heard in a while. Haven't had chance to listen to them much though so looking forward to giving them a thorough seeing to.

Right? I knew you'd love it. I'll make a point of finally checking Origin Of Apparition.

I wasn't expecting the almost euphoric keyboard sections, especially along with those crazy awesome vocals. I'll definitely be checking the other albums out, supposedly more of a DSBM band in the early days.
08.06.2010 - 09:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah after listening to Origin Of Apparition last night, it's obvious how they developed as a band. It's an decent album and has all the elements of Languor Into Echoes, but still needs a lot of work. Glad they got that done on LIE,B. Also makes you yearn for a new release, doesn't it?

EDIT: Bought the split with Benighted In Sodom and Frostmoon Eclipse.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.06.2010 - 13:01
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Lucas on 08.06.2010 at 09:02

Yeah after listening to Origin Of Apparition last night, it's obvious how they developed as a band. It's an decent album and has all the elements of Languor Into Echoes, but still needs a lot of work. Glad they got that done on LIE,B. Also makes you yearn for a new release, doesn't it?

EDIT: Bought the split with Benighted In Sodom and Frostmoon Eclipse.

LIE,B does sound like a natural progress of Origin Of Apparition

how does the split sound ?
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
08.06.2010 - 13:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
No idea yet. Only ordered it, still have to receive it.
----

25.06.2010 - 13:56
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Dangerboner on 23.06.2010 at 12:50

I don't think Liturgy (not the brutal death metal band) has been mentioned yet. They have those long, fast melodic guitar parts that Wolves in the Throne Room and Krallice like to use.

Not worth mentioning, as they're also like WItTR and are just some more scene kids wrecking the name of bm.

Liturgy
26.06.2010 - 21:17
Got Mayhem?
^ . Even better when you realize it's really them.

Anyone familiar with Ceremonial Castings? I've heard some positive things about them but never really looked into them.
----
27.06.2010 - 12:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I don't care what they look like as long as they're good. Hell, if my own 86 y/o grandmother would start playing kick ass Black metal I'll buy the records, who gives a shit.
----

27.06.2010 - 13:20
The Turbanator
Written by Lucas on 27.06.2010 at 12:12

I don't care what they look like as long as they're good. Hell, if my own 86 y/o grandmother would start playing kick ass Black metal I'll buy the records, who gives a shit.

AMEN! My sentiments exactly.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
27.06.2010 - 20:37
ß
Problem?
Written by Got Mayhem? on 26.06.2010 at 21:17

^ . Even better when you realize it's really them.

Anyone familiar with Ceremonial Castings? I've heard some positive things about them but never really looked into them.

You should definitely get around to checking them out, can't go wrong with them.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
28.06.2010 - 01:28
Vndergrovnd
I think black metal belongs anywhere that people want to play it. The different styles people come up with are as varied as the grains of sand on a beach. If I formed a BM group, it would be geared toward being as offensive, brutal, psychotic, and altogether beautiful as possible.
28.06.2010 - 05:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Hahaha! And that's precisely the reason why I prefer to know as little as possible about band members XD
30.06.2010 - 06:35
Ur-Drago
Don't know if they've been mentioned yet or not, but...
BM purists should definitely check out Winter of Apokalypse's Solitary Winter Night.

From Oregon of all places.
30.06.2010 - 07:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Lucas on 27.06.2010 at 12:12

NO NO NO NO NO!

we're talking BM here. Image matters more than substance! so does location.

if you are from a frostbitten country, wear corpse paint, and pose for album pics wielding LARP gear, you are awesome.

if you are from somewhere less "romantic" and look vaguely normal, you suck and are destroying the scene.

the music doesn't really matter.

duh.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.06.2010 - 07:02
Got Mayhem?
^ He's got it
----
04.07.2010 - 23:22
SilentScream
Blasphemer
You guys liking the latest Twilight effort?
05.07.2010 - 07:11
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
The image of something will not stay the same forever. Its gonna change. A few of my friends from Texas that were doing a grindcore/death metal band lost their front man due to real life issues, so they changed their name and the current members took over vocals. They look like average kids, wearing band t shirts, but they are now playing Black Metal.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
05.07.2010 - 12:18
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Ash Pool are the first band to come to mind. The 'World turns on it's Hinge' and the 2 demos are my favourites. The first demo is hard to find but you can find the other demo and the first album easily enough.

Incidentally, he looks like a Hipster nerd.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
05.07.2010 - 12:57
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by SilentScream on 04.07.2010 at 23:22

It sounds decent so far, first listen. Im gonna break out the nice headphones and then listen to it again tomorrow.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
24.08.2011 - 03:20
ß
Problem?
Whats the best Cobalt release to start off with?
----
24.08.2011 - 03:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ß on 24.08.2011 at 03:20

Whats the best Cobalt release to start off with?

Eater of Birds for sure. Unless you have a bit of a thing for post-metal in which case Gin might be the better option which is basically Eater of Birds + a few Tool-esque moments thrown in. You can't go wrong with either though.
24.08.2011 - 03:37
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

Eater of Birds for sure. Unless you have a bit of a thing for post-metal in which case Gin might be the better option which is basically Eater of Birds + a few Tool-esque moments thrown in. You can't go wrong with either though.

I will check out both releases promptly. Thanks for the quick response, greatly appreciated.
----
24.08.2011 - 03:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'd lean to Gin over Eater... but i like the post-y stuff.

but as J.O.O.E said, you cannot go wrong with E.I.T.H.E.R.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.08.2011 - 03:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't think I like the tone of your... WORds.
12.09.2011 - 00:03
SelfXPlanetOrE
Skeletonwitch is releasing their next album next month. Hope it will be good.
25.09.2011 - 14:34
Blue
I don't have a formed opinion on USBM bands, I listen to quite a few myself but I beg to differ to say that Canada seems to be better at it somehow. US and Black Metal just don't seem like the best match for me, but on the other hand, American bands kick ass when it comes to sludge.
----
cunt.
25.09.2011 - 20:08
The Turbanator
Written by -tom- on 05.07.2010 at 12:18

Ash Pool are the first band to come to mind. The 'World turns on it's Hinge' and the 2 demos are my favourites. The first demo is hard to find but you can find the other demo and the first album easily enough.

Incidentally, he looks like a Hipster nerd.

+1 for this. Ash Pool is amazing. One of their song in Youtube is wrongly uploaded. I'll upload the correct one in a minute.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
25.09.2011 - 20:09
The Turbanator
Written by SilentScream on 04.07.2010 at 23:22

Love the new album. Very well done.
----
25.09.2011 - 20:41
The Turbanator
Ash Pool - Dragged Down The Cobblestone

----
25.09.2011 - 20:55
ANGEL REAPER
Ok.Does the BM belongs to US?
I believe not...Why ? Well for 3 main reasons:
1.US is known for its religiosity and morals when it comes to anything anti-religious ,and such atmosphere is quite hostile for making a bm band
2.Capitalism.any band that survives the bible humping christian groups will eventually,due to the lack of founds,start to lean toward more mainstream sound making a shitload of money and a utter unoriginal and generic crap...
3.US is best known for its death metal scene ,and as we know it the vast majority of DM people despise BM,which may lead to labeling any good BM band as crap,therefore flushing it back to underground scene and bible hampers.

I believe that european soil is a birthplace and best place for BM,but I can also admit that there are few good and very original BM bands that come from US.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"