Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 10:18
"In 1994 Gorgoroth released their cult album "Pentagram" and soon became one of the leading acts of the growing scene. "Antichrist", their follow-up release, was even more successful and featured Frost (Satyricon) on drums. The album made a strong impact and consequently led to the bands first live performances in Norway and England (with Cradle of Filth) and finally to their first tour in 1996 with Dissection and Satyricon. With yet another drummer in their ranks, Gorgoroth recorded "Under The Sign Of Hell" and later prepared their first European Headliner-Tour. Nuclear Blast was highly impressed and felt a desire to court the band; by 1998 Gorgoroth had been added to Nuclear Blast's official band roster. The first result of this new marriage was "Destroyer". The band now featured Gaahl on vocals, whose grim and aggressive voice led them to another level. A tour with Cradle of Filth followed, as well as plenty of festival and headlining shows. In 2000 "Incipit Satan" was recorded at Sunlight Studios and showed a new era in the realm of Gorgoroth. The songs, while a bit more refined and far more mature, still maintained their custom unyielding bestiality.

It took another three years, until the follow up to "Incipit Satan" was recorded. After the departure of guitar player Tormentor, Gorgoroth continue on as a four piece, adding another guitar player when it comes time for touring and live shows. "Twilight of the Idols" shows Gorgoroth from several sides and could possibly be the darkest chapter in their career. Finally it is traditional Black Metal of Norwegian origin, performed by the ones who know how it works and who do it the best."

Members:
Infernus (Roger Tiegs) - Vocals, Guitars
Gaahl - Vocals
King Ov Hell - Bass
Dirge Rep - Drums (Live)
Eihwaz (formerly Skagg) - Guitars (Live)

18.12.2008 - 17:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Everytime I heard the name of "Gorgoroth" I thought about Dark Funeral and therefore never chacked them because I don't like the Noisecore thing... Although Marduk do that thing well and that's why that's the only band I like in the kind of Black Metal.

But something maked me feel like I have to give this guys a opportunity. And today I cheked their Myspace... I think is a fan-site but it has songs from the old albums and I was totally blowed away. It was quite amazing. Specially the song "Gorgoroth" with a really good bass and vocals [and the clean ones were perfect] At times it was even melodic.

So... Can someone telll me which albums are good? I liked the sound of the songs that came from the first 3 albums.
Anyone who can recommend me more? How are the other albums?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.12.2008 - 17:42
Sunioj
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.12.2008 at 17:20

So... Can someone telll me which albums are good? I liked the sound of the songs that came from the first 3 albums.

First three albums. The rest is mediocre.
18.12.2008 - 17:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Sunioj on 18.12.2008 at 17:42

That's a shame indeed... But at least I know now that they were fucking great back then

But I heard some mixed opinions about the twilight of the idols so I thin the best thing is to try by myself... Thanks for answering so fast!
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.12.2008 - 12:48
Damnated
Churchburner

Everytime I heard the name of "Gorgoroth" I thought about Dark Funeral and therefore never chacked them because I don't like the Noisecore thing... Although Marduk do that thing well and that's why that's the only band I like in the kind of Black Metal.

lol it's norsecore. and you should definitely give Incipit Satan a spin or two as well. possibly their strongest album tbh.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.12.2008 - 20:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Damnated on 20.12.2008 at 12:48

lol it's norsecore. and you should definitely give Incipit Satan a spin or two as well. possibly their strongest album tbh.

I knew that I spelled the word wrong... But I tried to remember it for some minutes and I gave up and wrote the most similar name! Thanks for thhat and also for the recomendations.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2008 - 01:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.12.2008 at 17:47

Written by Sunioj on 18.12.2008 at 17:42

That's a shame indeed... But at least I know now that they were fucking great back then

But I heard some mixed opinions about the twilight of the idols so I thin the best thing is to try by myself... Thanks for answering so fast!

They aren't really norsecore and most of their albums are good to me. I hated Twilight of the Idols at first, but now it's one of my favorites, especially the first song, Procreating Satan. m/

You can also try reading the previous posts in this thread.

Edit: I just now realized that Pest will be the vocalist in Infernus' Gorgoroth. Sweet!
21.12.2008 - 11:45
Daniel
I really like Gorogoroth, Antichrist being my favourite album. I'm ususally picky when it comes to these kind of black metal bands, although I can enjoy their new-er material as well.

Not that it matters, but as a matter of interest. There is a rumor that Gaahl is a homosexual. True?
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
21.12.2008 - 16:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 21.12.2008 at 01:15

They aren't really norsecore

Yeah... I don't know why, but I always thought they were norsecore... When I heard the name of Gorgoroth I thought about Dark Funeral and that's why I didn't checked them out.

Strange indeed.. since they are not the same thing :p
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2008 - 21:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniel on 21.12.2008 at 11:45

Not that it matters, but as a matter of interest. There is a rumor that Gaahl is a homosexual. True?

That's not a rumour. Gaahl came out of the closet publicly a couple of months back.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2008 - 22:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Can anyone tell me wtf is norsecore?
21.12.2008 - 23:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 21.12.2008 at 22:30

I quite agree with you. I have seen that term pop up with tr00 nekro kvlt krieg frostbitten black metal kiddies denoting bands such as Marduk (nothing to do with Norway so Norse is wrong here hahaha), Dark Funeral etc. the bm bands that just blast away.
I think the first website to use the term Norsecore are our [sarcasm]brilliantly talented[/sarcasm] friends of www.anus.com
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2008 - 00:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Some people discribe it this way:

A term describing bands like Marduk or Dark Funeral that play "unneccesarily" fast, hence the - core.

That's off course not my sentence... I took it from a another thread. I know that it's not the best way to describe it but whatever.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2008 - 01:38
Daniel
Depends how you look at it. If you can't grasp the music with the blast beats, then i dont think you should be listening to it.

Anything with 'core' generally sucks anyway.
----
22.12.2008 - 02:04
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.12.2008 at 00:43

A term describing bands like Marduk or Dark Funeral that play "unneccesarily" fast, hence the - core.

That's off course not my sentence... I took it from a another thread. I know that it's not the best way to describe it but whatever.

What? unnecessarily? Why? Marduk is an extreme Black Metal band.. What is the problem?
22.12.2008 - 02:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Hamird on 22.12.2008 at 02:04

What? unnecessarily? Why? Marduk is an extreme Black Metal band.. What is the problem?

The explanation is not something I wrote but something I quoted in a thread here in MS [If I remember correctly is from the Marduk thread].

But if you want MY opinion... I think some [I repeat: SOME] bands play fast just for the sake of playing fast and it sounds just way to boring, dull and monotonous... It's good if the albums is around 30 min [like Panzer Division Marduk] but after a while it gets boring because it seems you're hearing the same thing over and over again.

Black metal bands don't need to play fast to be extreme.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2008 - 02:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.12.2008 at 02:12

Written by Hamird on 22.12.2008 at 02:04

The explanation is not something I wrote but something I quoted in a thread here in MS [If I remember correctly is from the Marduk thread].

But if you want MY opinion... I think some [I repeat: SOME] bands play fast just for the sake of playing fast and it sounds just way to boring, dull and monotonous... It's good if the albums is around 30 min [like Panzer Division Marduk] but after a while it gets boring because it seems you're hearing the same thing over and over again.

Black metal bands don't need to play fast to be extreme.

I see what you say.. For me, many Power Metal bands which are just fast and got no talent behind the songs are boring too, and same for Extreme Metal bands.. But about Marduk, I think they perform a unique music. I think their music is a mixture of Thrash and Black Metal.
22.12.2008 - 02:51
Daniel
But they do.

Regardless of your opinion.

No, they do not need to play fast to be extreme, but they do , and it really works & it seems to be the sound alot of them are going for, which is great. It's how early Black Metal was. Take early Bathory & Hellhammer for example.

Outstanding bands these days like Funeral Mist & Triumphator play extremely fast. Which is the sound they are going for.seriously, wouldnt slow black metal be repetitive and boring and sound like your hearing the same thing over and over again also?

It's just a matter of taste and opinion.
----
22.12.2008 - 02:52
Daniel
@ Mr.Docter
----
22.12.2008 - 15:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Daniel on 22.12.2008 at 02:51

wouldnt slow black metal be repetitive and boring and sound like your hearing the same thing over and over again also?

Ok... I know I got owned with this comment
But the difference is that you can listen carefully to how the riffs change... If it's insanely fast it's hard to tell for the person who's not into this kind of black [for me it's normal now ]

But yeah.. matter of opinions.

And Hamird... Marduk totally kick ass, but now we have to get back on topic!
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2008 - 15:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
On the fast. vs. slow discussion, it can of course work both ways. It's all about the strength of the riffs.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.12.2008 - 23:31
Damnated
Churchburner
^ or the atmosphere. really fast black metal usually lacks in atmosphere imo.

eh, but anyways. gorgoroth is not norsecore. norescore is black metal with a grindcore philosophy and over the top satanic lyrics and imagery. so let's move on.

i'm really curious about Infernus' gorgoroth tbh. perhaps his hatred toward ghaal and king will result in a great album. i certainly hope so.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
22.12.2008 - 23:40
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Damnated on 22.12.2008 at 23:31

^ or the atmosphere. really fast black metal usually lacks in atmosphere imo.

eh, but anyways. gorgoroth is not norsecore. norescore is black metal with a grindcore philosophy and over the top satanic lyrics and imagery. so let's move on.

i'm really curious about Infernus' gorgoroth tbh. perhaps his hatred toward ghaal and king will result in a great album. i certainly hope so.

I bet its going to be good. Especially because Pest is coming back as the vocalist. While Ghaal is singing about how in love with his new boyfriend he is Infernus will be spitting lyrics of hatred and malice towards his old bandmates... or he wont and he will just ignore them completely. That would be even more Kvlt, Grim, and whatever the hell else you'd say for it
----
Coldgrits
23.12.2008 - 00:07
Sick Girl
"Carving A Giant" was a pretty insanely awesome video. But I've heard many rumors about this band. So, did they use to kill animals on stage and such? And call me ignorant for NOT knowing this, but were some of the band members the ones who were involved in the church burnings in Norway back sometime in the 90's? I was a little kid then so don't condemn me lol.
25.12.2008 - 09:19
Zombie, M.D.
While the plethora of nowadays (or old, for that matter) black metal seems kind of goofy, Gorgoroth always struck me as being very serious. I think theyre a bunch of ass clowns personally, but youve got to admire their conviction. I have a feeling that they dont like knock knock jokes.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
25.12.2008 - 12:04
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I dont really like Gorgoroth that much. no matter how many times i try to listen to them and give them a real chance, i cant help but chuckle a bit at the vocals. the first song from Pentagram sounds like a really black metal, really twisted version of "its a small world after all".
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.12.2008 - 13:15
Hellkommando
I thoroughly enjoy Gorgoroth's stuff, my favorite album is Incipit Satan. I do agree that their early albums are their best stuff.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
27.12.2008 - 02:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 25.12.2008 at 09:19

While the plethora of nowadays (or old, for that matter) black metal seems kind of goofy, Gorgoroth always struck me as being very serious. I think theyre a bunch of ass clowns personally, but youve got to admire their conviction. I have a feeling that they dont like knock knock jokes.

Yeah for some reason, the only black metal bands that actually give me a real evil vibe are Gorgoroth, Mayhem, and Ondskapt. I can't even listen to Ondskapt because they make me feel horrible lol.
27.12.2008 - 05:46
DyingInSin
Ghaal confessed he is gay..In many countried this has caused quite a hustle
27.12.2008 - 06:02
Hellkommando
It might have caused a "hustle" but his sexuality doesn't effect the quality of his music.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
03.01.2009 - 21:40
Got Mayhem?
Being a BM musician with his kind of reputation for being a general badass (whether you like his music or not) you have to admit he has some real guts for comming out of the closet.
This isn't going to effect his music at all and I'm looking forward to whatever he comes out with next.

Whether or not it's going to be with a band called Gorgoroth or not is yet to be seen, as the two bands are supposed to be going to court this month to begin settling the disput.
----