Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
15.12.2006 - 11:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.12.2006 at 04:19

@K7: wtf is '80's power? as far as I know that is called Speed Metal.

Listen early Stratovarius you will understand and its NOT SPEED, Speed are Risk,, X-Wild, blind Guardian,

80tie spower its something how Rage, Manowar, ask Hellish Star he will explain more but Stratovarius in 80tie sdont sound slike thet, thay even dont soudn slike tarot, but still thay was BETTER how nowdays
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.12.2006 - 20:09
danzig111
Account deleted
I highly doubt that Stratovarius were better seeing as Tolkki cannot compete with Kotipelto......But okay I understand what you mean about "'80's Power" now.

Hey, all this talk about Power Metal, when exactly did Progressive metal start anyways
15.12.2006 - 20:23
joaquin
i dont realy know but dream theater and warmen they are really good
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
05.01.2007 - 06:20
Endoftherainbow
Written by Guest on 15.12.2006 at 20:09

Hey, all this talk about Power Metal, when exactly did Progressive metal start anyways

Progressive Metal started in the late 80's early 90's with bands like Queensyrche, Dream Theater, and Fates Warning.
05.01.2007 - 14:40
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
The best progressive metal band is Tool... this is obvious!
Don't even ask me to explain this! Just LISTEN Tool's albums like Aenima or Lateralus and you will know why...
05.01.2007 - 18:49
Hellish Star
OUTWORLD is the only right anwer here...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
05.01.2007 - 23:23
danzig111
Account deleted
@joaquin: Warmen are more Instrumental Power Metal

@Endoftherainbow: Oh yeah, Queensryche , VH1 seems to obcess over them haha.
05.01.2007 - 23:45
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 15.12.2006 at 11:51

Listen early Stratovarius you will understand and its NOT SPEED, Speed are Risk,, X-Wild, blind Guardian,

80tie spower its something how Rage, Manowar, ask Hellish Star he will explain more but Stratovarius in 80tie sdont sound slike thet, thay even dont soudn slike tarot, but still thay was BETTER how nowdays

Firstly, Blind Guardian were and are not speed, they WERE Thrashy Power Metal, it might help to check this up some time

Secondly, Manowar were only playing Heavy Metal in the 80's, they only begun to play Power Metal in the 90's or began to include Power Metal influences, arguably
06.01.2007 - 00:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 05.01.2007 at 23:45

Firstly, Blind Guardian were and are not speed, they WERE Thrashy Power Metal, it might help to check this up some time

Secondly, Manowar were only playing Heavy Metal in the 80's, they only begun to play Power Metal in the 90's or began to include Power Metal influences, arguably

I had all bG albums and first 2 are speed metal simmilar how X-Wild, Risk and so on... its not thrash thrash sound slil differerent even early metallica are lil to speed
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2007 - 01:16
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.01.2007 at 00:17

Written by Guest on 05.01.2007 at 23:45

I had all bG albums and first 2 are speed metal simmilar how X-Wild, Risk and so on... its not thrash thrash sound slil differerent even early metallica are lil to speed

Then why doesn't it say that anywhere i read about them?
06.01.2007 - 01:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@I had read alot of music magasines and in tv say about it and ist SPEED and I wont try to proove it and I wount deal or do something, because i know its speed and if bo what is speed metal in your opinium
----

apos;'
[image]
06.01.2007 - 01:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
Opeth without doubt, their Extreme Progressive metal is just stunning! Beautiful vocals, beautiful songs. Åkerfeldt is one of the best composers out there
----
06.01.2007 - 02:06
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
I still didn't get that K7, sorry man.

Yet another one.

Opeth are Progressive Death Metal.
09.01.2007 - 20:38
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
The 4 masters of course

Dream Theater
Angra
Opeth
Symphony X

no one can beat them they the most complex bands ever, and you never get bored listening them
----
Stay Metal !!!
28.03.2007 - 23:58
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I think Dream Theater is the best progressive metal band
31.03.2007 - 14:08
l33t_sas
Account deleted
Symphony X
Ayreon
Dream Theater
Nevermore
Amorphis

I know Nevermore and Amorphis aren't the most exemplary bands of the genre but if Angra counts then I don't see why they can't too.
05.04.2007 - 22:48
Robstar
Am not really a progressive metal fan ... due to it gay lyrics sometimes in many songs , But through the years I've notice that ... Dream Theater kicks all these new bands asses.. I will go like this:
First Place: Dream Theater
Second Place: Symphony X
Third place: Warmen
----
Nothing is unreacheable
07.04.2007 - 15:08
Procardia
Account deleted
Opeth is my favorite progmetal band, indeed.
09.04.2007 - 20:12
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 09.01.2007 at 20:38

The 4 masters of course

Dream Theater
Angra
Opeth
Symphony X

no one can beat them they the most complex bands ever, and you never get bored listening them

Too be honest with you, they are not the most complex bands ever.

I think a band like Spheric Universe Experience or Spiral Architect makes more complex music, but what is so special about those bands, most specifically Dream Theater is that they can combine incredibly complex music with making actual music.

Yeah, many technical bands can really play, but after awhile it doesn't sound like music, it sounds like one long scale exercise. Dream Theater can take six measures, but in those six measures there are all these dynamics and contrast which make technical skill sound like music. They can impress every second of the song by making simple things sound complex.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
09.04.2007 - 20:27
Reverie
My favorite Progressive Band is Opeth. It didn't started like a progressive metal, but from the beginning Opeth had a pinch of Progressive...

I loved Damnation and Deliverance, they are supposed to be the opposite, but I find them very complementary...

I must say that Progressive metal is one of the best genres ever... Porcupine Tree es great too, Ayreon too... The years go by, and they get better!
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
10.04.2007 - 03:15
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
1. Pain of Salvation is definally the best prog metal band (and probably the MOST prog bands of all time!) exelent vocals, and no band can even be
compared with their lyric work, Deniel is a true genious. Only problem with PoS is that its pretty hard to find people who understand their much.....

2. Early Angra (with Andre Matos) is also another really good band in the edge of prog and power metal just listen to Stand Away, Deep Blue, Carolina IV (one of the best songs ever) or anything from Freedom Call, Angels Cry, or Reaching Horizons
----
10.04.2007 - 06:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There is no way Tool is the best progressive metal band around...
10.04.2007 - 08:08
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by 4look4rd on 10.04.2007 at 03:15

1. Pain of Salvation is definally the best prog metal band (and probably the MOST prog bands of all time!) exelent vocals, and no band can even be
compared with their lyric work, Deniel is a true genious. Only problem with PoS is that its pretty hard to find people who understand their much.....

2. Early Angra (with Andre Matos) is also another really good band in the edge of prog and power metal just listen to Stand Away, Deep Blue, Carolina IV (one of the best songs ever) or anything from Freedom Call, Angels Cry, or Reaching Horizons

Pain of Salvation is quite the progressive act. I'm tempted to say "King of Loss" is the most progressive metal song ever written, but that wouldn't be far to so many other great progressive metal songs.
----
11.04.2007 - 01:17
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Guest on 10.04.2007 at 03:26

Tool! Hands Down!! Some people don't say they're prog metal, but I when you hear their albums "Aenima" and "Lateralus" you can tell they are. MJK is one of my favorite vocalists and I love the drum work Danny Carey does. Other favorites of mine are Symphony X, DT, and Opeth.

Tool is not even prog, Tool is experimental metal which is the compleate opposite of prog....
----
11.04.2007 - 04:30
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by 4look4rd on 11.04.2007 at 01:17

Tool! Hands Down!! Some people don't say they're prog metal, but I when you hear their albums "Aenima" and "Lateralus" you can tell they are. MJK is one of my favorite vocalists and I love the drum work Danny Carey does. Other favorites of mine are Symphony X, DT, and Opeth.

Tool is not even prog, Tool is experimental metal which is the compleate opposite of prog....

Sorry, I guess they aren't prog metal. I'm going to say Dream Theater. They have some amazing talent.
11.04.2007 - 04:57
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic

Tool is most definately a Progresive Metal band. I hate to use generic phrases like they make complex music, or they have lengthy complete songs, but they do, and those are two of the most common traits in Progressive metal.

Let me ask you this, Progresive Metal is a genre which will combine musicianship, creativity, completedness, and conceptual lyrics in many or every band; is Tool Progressive?

Tool certainly has muscianship, Dany Carey and Justin Chancellor are two of the best drummers and bassits that metal has to offer. Adam Jones is no slouch either, he has excellent control over his guitar and is a very interesting muscianhip chordally and harmonically.

Is Tool creative, if you're goin to be pioneering a sound that no muscian's had previously treaded, I'm sure you'll find Tool to be creative. No matter how many bands you may think are similar, they're after Tool not before them.

Is Tool a band that makes albums and songs with a sense of completedness? I certainly think so, in Tool you're going to find extended songs, and although you may not find the most diverse changes, Tool is always going to be able to change the effect of any part. They build up and drop down to extraordinary extremes, and if you want long variant songs, check out "Third Eye".

Does Tool have conceptual intelligible lyrics? They did do Lateralus off of the Fibonacci Sequence, so I'd definately say intelligble, and that was a theme to an entire album, so I guess they must be conceptual too.

Have I laid out a science for identifying Progressive bands, no of course not. However, I think I've made a farily compelling case that Tool is in fact a Progressive Metal band. They certainly show enough Progressive qualities to me.
----
11.04.2007 - 21:14
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by AtLossForWords on 11.04.2007 at 04:57

Tool is most definately a Progresive Metal band. I hate to use generic phrases like they make complex music, or they have lengthy complete songs, but they do, and those are two of the most common traits in Progressive metal.

Let me ask you this, Progresive Metal is a genre which will combine musicianship, creativity, completedness, and conceptual lyrics in many or every band; is Tool Progressive?

Tool certainly has muscianship, Dany Carey and Justin Chancellor are two of the best drummers and bassits that metal has to offer. Adam Jones is no slouch either, he has excellent control over his guitar and is a very interesting muscianhip chordally and harmonically.

Is Tool creative, if you're goin to be pioneering a sound that no muscian's had previously treaded, I'm sure you'll find Tool to be creative. No matter how many bands you may think are similar, they're after Tool not before them.

Is Tool a band that makes albums and songs with a sense of completedness? I certainly think so, in Tool you're going to find extended songs, and although you may not find the most diverse changes, Tool is always going to be able to change the effect of any part. They build up and drop down to extraordinary extremes, and if you want long variant songs, check out "Third Eye".

Does Tool have conceptual intelligible lyrics? They did do Lateralus off of the Fibonacci Sequence, so I'd definately say intelligble, and that was a theme to an entire album, so I guess they must be conceptual too.

Have I laid out a science for identifying Progressive bands, no of course not. However, I think I've made a farily compelling case that Tool is in fact a Progressive Metal band. They certainly show enough Progressive qualities to me.

Well Progressive Metal itself is like a huge genre with many diferent styles (opeth and pain of salvation for exemple) many bands dont have almost anything alike, HOWEVER they all share one characteristc: Complexity.... Which I have not found it on Tool, they sound like some thing more improvised (Im not saying that its something bad nor anything) I still think that they are Experimental metal or Alternative, but not progressive.........

We should creat a pool "Is Tool Prog Metal?"
----
11.04.2007 - 22:16
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by 4look4rd on 11.04.2007 at 21:14

Written by AtLossForWords on 11.04.2007 at 04:57

Well Progressive Metal itself is like a huge genre with many diferent styles (opeth and pain of salvation for exemple) many bands dont have almost anything alike, HOWEVER they all share one characteristc: Complexity.... Which I have not found it on Tool, they sound like some thing more improvised (Im not saying that its something bad nor anything) I still think that they are Experimental metal or Alternative, but not progressive.........

We should creat a pool "Is Tool Prog Metal?"

If you don't think Tool has complexity to their music, I don't really know what to tell you. Carey and Chancellor are fantastic players, and I don't think anyone should take that away from them.

Personally I don't even think complexity is common in every Progressive band. Would you call Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, and Soft Machine complex bands? Sure, they make great music, but it's the uniqueness of those bands that make them Progressive, not the notes on the staff.
----
16.04.2007 - 20:44
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Dream Theater for me, i really enjoy their music. Prog metal can be boring after some time (im speaking just of some songs), but theyre pretty good to me. Queensryche's good too.

I wander would Control Denied come under Progressive Metal.....
----
19.04.2007 - 01:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Endoftherainbow on 05.01.2007 at 06:20

Written by Guest on 15.12.2006 at 20:09

Progressive Metal started in the late 80's early 90's with bands like Queensyrche, Dream Theater, and Fates Warning.

Actually, Prog Metal started in early 1970. Rush and Led Zeppelin were taking Early Heavy Metal into a new direction. Then there were acts like Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and Wishboon Ash. But it wasn't untill the 1981 when Queensrÿche formed that prog metal really started moving forward. On one side you had Iron Maiden and Queensrÿche who were more metal and on the other side there was Rush and ELP who were more prog. Then in 1984 Fates Warning came out and was really the first band to blend Progressive & Metal. Then the following year a young drummer named Mike Portnoy saw a Fates Warning concert...
----
(space for rent)