Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
19.04.2007 - 04:12
Oracle
Orcinus
My favourite Prog Metal bands are

Opeth
Angra
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Ayreon
19.04.2007 - 20:23
LoUd3
Account deleted
Opeth <3

Maybe not metal, but prog:
Tool
Porcupine Tree
23.04.2007 - 20:44
Milutin
Account deleted
Dream Theater and Opeth definetly! One of the most insane metal bands around.
And Rush too... they aren't metal , but still they are prog rock and they are in the archive. One of the best prog bands ever and a great inspiration to today's metal bands.
24.04.2007 - 11:49
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Progressive metal isn't my favourite genre but I must admit that Dream Theater, Opeth and Symphony X are band I like a lot. For me they're ones of the best in this style.
28.04.2007 - 00:06
Spirit Crusher.
Account deleted
For more oldschool sounding shit, Fates warning and Watchtower and for modern Symphony X is my favorite
01.05.2007 - 22:12
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
Dunno if it fits the "Prog-metal" label but I'm gonna say Pain of Salvation is the best
01.05.2007 - 22:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@ArchitectSupreme: Yeah, PoS fits into the progressive metal vein most definitely
01.05.2007 - 23:03
Keoren
Account deleted
Pain of Salvation followed by Arcturus
23.05.2007 - 11:25
ToCSiN
Account deleted
No need to think twice
Dream Theater
The gods of Progressive
23.05.2007 - 16:45
Lord TJ
I would have to go with Angra, though I havent listened to many prog bands, the ones ive listened to the most I like Angra the best.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
23.05.2007 - 18:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
No doubt, the kings of Progressive Metal are Dream Theater, every album is great and Images and Words are one of my favourite albums. LaBrie is maybe my favourite clean vocalist, Portnoy is an awesome drummer, Myung handles the bass better than most, Petrucci has done some of my favourite guitar solos and they've always had skilled keyboardists.
----
23.05.2007 - 20:09
Milutin
Account deleted
@Revenant, Rush aren't metal, but they are quite good, infact they are excelent.
27.05.2007 - 13:20
Johny.Walker
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 23.05.2007 at 18:23

No doubt, the kings of Progressive Metal are Dream Theater, every album is great and Images and Words are one of my favourite albums. LaBrie is maybe my favourite clean vocalist, Portnoy is an awesome drummer, Myung handles the bass better than most, Petrucci has done some of my favourite guitar solos and they've always had skilled keyboardists.

You put that out of my mouth. Also Rush is excellent band, professional musicians.
27.05.2007 - 14:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Rush are still worth mentioning, maybe not Metal but their Progressive Rock has had so much influence on bands such as Dream Theater and Iron Maiden. And yes, they're one of the best bands out there too!
----
27.05.2007 - 19:54
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Well, Best is such a subjective word, and I'm not sure this topic is even valid. But if I were to slightly alter it and post my favorite band as such, then is most definitely Pain Of Salvation. I fucking love them. One of the only bands that bring to the platter an emotional value for music which few bands can merely dream of, as far as I'm concerned. From their Hereafter demo to their latest offering Scarsick, which I somehow managed to make myself like ( ), I really really dig them. Pain Of Salvation fanboy here
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
31.05.2007 - 12:01
Hamird
Lieutenant
i think the best prog band is DREAM THEATER .. .also this band is one of the most technical metal bands.
but i myself like opeth and progressive works of amorphis more ...
05.06.2007 - 13:39
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Opeth are my favorite, but the musical brilliance of Dream Theater is unmatched. Also Ayreon are amazing to

Others worth noting in this, Queensryche, Symphony X, Edenbridge, Savatage.
09.06.2007 - 01:31
orathac
Account deleted
Dream Theater
Pain Of Salvation
Rush
Pink Floyd
Angra
Control Denied (only one album but its awesome with Chuck Schuldiner on vocals and guitar)
Genesis
Symphony X
11.06.2007 - 05:42
Daniel
My favourite, and in MY opinion, would have to be Opeth.

I know theyre not metal, but second too that Porcupine tree.

----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
13.06.2007 - 07:19
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
So many amazing Prog Metal bands, but my personal favorite is Opeth.
20.06.2007 - 03:14
Nazeef
YEAH!! Opeth!! first place.
But, I vote for ADAGIO too!!!!!
I see that no one knows about ADAGIO in here, they are Frensh!! a must listen!!!!
Underworld album----->Next Profundis as example---> kick ass!!! STEPHAN FORTE: Ghoul!!!!
ADAGIO-ADAGIO-ADAGIO-ADAGIO-ADAGIO-ADAGIO-ADAGIO!!!!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
25.06.2007 - 19:17
Abattoir
Staff
Opeth the best one ...than angra and so on...
25.06.2007 - 22:58
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Savatage
Evergrey
VandenPlas

- Best Prog bands ever. !
26.06.2007 - 01:40
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
First is Pain of Salvation, which in my opnion is by far the most creative band I've heard (tied with J. Tull)
Then I think I will have to go with Angra (if it counts,) than Dream Theater =D
----
28.06.2007 - 00:52
graywolf87
Account deleted
Dream theater
Control Denied (chuck on lead not on vocals btw)
Spiral Architect
...my favorites 3 up there.
28.06.2007 - 04:15
Daru Jericho
Subterranean Masquerade, anyone?

Probably the most ambitious band I've heard in a long time/ever. They've only got an album and an EP out but they're stunning. They utilize something like 16 different instruments and 4 different vocal styles on their album. Additionally, they combine all sorts of music: jazz, psychedelic rock, some death metal bits and more that I fail at describing. I'd call them prog metal/avant garde really. The concept for the album is handled in a really unique way as well. It's amazing. Not as good as my favourite prog band (Dream Theater as mentioned earlier in this thread) but still stunning and majestic in an obscure way.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.06.2007 - 04:24
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I have one! Its incredible that no one has mentioned, what is probably the first true progressive metal band! That band I speak of is none other than Fates Warning! They truly innovated the style, hell even Mike Portnoy admits that FW was doing years before them. It amazes me how hardly anyone here, or at least on this page has mentioned them, if anyone has at all...Other great bands are Watchtower, Symphony X, Vanden Plas, PoS, Crimson Glory, Savatage, Dreamscape, Knight Area, Royal Hunt, Threshold. I won't even bother mentioning bands like Dream Theater or Opeth as both are great bands but both are also overrated as fuck...
28.06.2007 - 21:07
Charly546
Rush
Queensryche
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Shadow Gallery

My progressive TOP 5, metal or not
Honorable mentions: Dream Theater, Opeth, Genesis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Gentle Giant, Fates Warning

EDIT: I'd mention some more great bands, which are unfortunately rarely mentioned here, like Watchtower (one of the first progressive metal bands and one of the greatest), Mekong Delta, Voivod (Piggy's guitar style is something otherworldly), Dark Angel (with album Time Does Not Heal; great composition, hundreds of riffs (some even say over 200), intelligent lyrics).
These are great bands, which sound hardly like anything DT has done. Highly recommended.
02.07.2007 - 17:12
baldur
i do also like marillion they are doing great progressive rock!!
02.07.2007 - 17:23
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Well my music taste is changing a little bit, I and got more into prog metal (I was more into power and prog/power) but I must stick with my answere Pain of Salvation

However, I've been listening to a lot of Green Carnation lately and I am just amazed specially for their acustic album (cant wait to get the DVD) also I got one of the Ivory Tower CD's and the other one is about to arrive got pretty disapointed with the album "It" because I heard one sample and I thought it was pretty good but then I bought the album and discovered that it has only one good song (the sample one xD) so it was pretty much a waste of money, and now I cant cancel my order for their other album, oh well I most look forward and hope that its good or at last not as crappy as "It."

Anyways, since Im on my prog days can somebody recomend me some good prog metal because Im really getting into the genre but its kinda hard to find decent bands
----