Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
08.07.2007 - 15:04
Johny.Walker
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.06.2007 at 04:24

I have one! Its incredible that no one has mentioned, what is probably the first true progressive metal band! That band I speak of is none other than Fates Warning! They truly innovated the style, hell even Mike Portnoy admits that FW was doing years before them. It amazes me how hardly anyone here, or at least on this page has mentioned them, if anyone has at all...

How could I forget them ? One of my personal favourites !
08.07.2007 - 23:10
OneWithMisery
I'd still have to go with Dream Theater..senn them live, unforgetable experience.
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
11.07.2007 - 06:24
Gilardina
evergrey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the mixture of the voice and the drums and everythong is amazing, they have a peculiar sound that anybody could ever create before, and i think in second place would be symphony/opeth
----
and remember, as much as it seems to be real, is all in your mind...
11.07.2007 - 13:00
dark awakening
I think that if you think about progressive it must be connected to Dream Theater; then comes Opeth and Disillusion. Few people know this last band; but it's damn great!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
14.07.2007 - 11:32
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by dark awakening on 11.07.2007 at 13:00

I think that if you think about progressive it must be connected to Dream Theater; then comes Opeth and Disillusion. Few people know this last band; but it's damn great!

In my opinion, if one thinks of progressive metal, the real band that should come to mind is Fates Warning, who were doing it long before DT ever did. I highly recommend them to you if you are interested!
15.09.2007 - 17:08
Mystic Ice
Account deleted
Ayreon and Star One, which are pretty much the same. Arjen is so incredibly talented and th vocalists always blow me away. Never was a fan of Dream Theater.
19.09.2007 - 20:21
Lord TJ
I would have to go with Angra, I love the technicality of the guitars and Edu has amazing vocal power.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
21.09.2007 - 23:11
Robstar
Dude my opinion is Dream Theater , there's no band like this one!!!!!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
22.09.2007 - 02:31
HOLOCAUST
Account deleted
Dream fucking Theatre.
23.09.2007 - 05:28
Metal Freak
Opeth followed by Pain of Salvation followed by Ice Age (totally underrated band).
----
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
--Steven Weinberg
26.09.2007 - 03:57
Ellie
Account deleted
Definitely Ayreon in my opinion.
27.09.2007 - 19:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think that Fates Warning should be taken into account.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.10.2007 - 15:29
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Dream Theater!!! their 10 albums are legend especially the first ones and metropolis II
----
Stay Metal !!!
21.10.2007 - 03:54
Apollyon
Account deleted
Spastic Ink are simply the most amazing prog band ever, anything related to the Jarzombek brothers, Rons solo albums and his new project Blotted Science with Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and Charlie Zeleny (Behold...the Arctopus) is amazing, eh but seriously, Spastic Ink are the most technical band ever

www.myspace.com/inkspastic

21.10.2007 - 10:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 27.09.2007 at 19:44

Totaly agree thay are somehow forgotten and first album 'Night in Brocklen' remasered verse ha siron maiden cover song, its awsoem song i get it and I love it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.10.2007 - 11:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Bad English on 21.10.2007 at 10:01

Totaly agree thay are somehow forgotten and first album 'Night in Brocklen' remasered verse ha siron maiden cover song, its awsoem song i get it and I love it

I dont know, they are one of those bands that rarely is noticed. The truth is that they have brilliant albums and its not just one or two. And they've been doing it for a long time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.10.2007 - 11:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 21.10.2007 at 11:26

Written by Bad English on 21.10.2007 at 10:01

I dont know, they are one of those bands that rarely is noticed. The truth is that they have brilliant albums and its not just one or two. And they've been doing it for a long time.

Maybe 90ties are lil diferent more to to prog but 80ties are awsome seems DT and Sympho X shood lol bit lear of them but lyreics are awsfull, its not like doom poetry but ehhh
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2007 - 04:13
PowerMetal
Account deleted
I love Symphony X! I've gotten to see them live an they were fantastic. There style is amazing, I love Romeo's music and Allen's voice!
24.10.2007 - 16:33
joaquin
well i say dream theater
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
25.10.2007 - 10:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.09.2007 at 17:08

Ayreon and Star One, which are pretty much the same. Arjen is so incredibly talented and th vocalists always blow me away. Never was a fan of Dream Theater.

Never cant understand Ayreon, never, and lyrics, song tytles are so wierd
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2007 - 17:58
Sonsofsabbath
I would say Dream Theater, based on longevity, but I am sure there are many good prog bands I have not heard. I just recently started listening to dream theater, although I have had a change of season for abourt 5 years, I liked the medaly of varios classic rock on that cd.

I now have images and words, and understand why it is raved about. for 1989 it is amazing. In fact my present opinion is that the band has not progressed significantly, and that Images and Words stands as their crowning achievemnet , yet to be matched or surpassed. What do you think?
13.11.2007 - 03:47
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Its so hard to decide, Dream Theater is amazing..... But I like Pain of Salvation better (because they have supperior lyrics, and vocals) However, I recently started listening to MindFlow which is perhaps one of the best prog bands I've ever heard.... But there is also Andromeda.... And Threshold ><

If I can include prog power, my decision would be much harder xD
----
15.11.2007 - 00:38
bucky01403
Account deleted

Agreed, very underrated band among metal fans.

Queensryche for me. When I think of prog I don't think of technical ability so much as progression musically. I prefer bands that experiment and incorporate new styles into their music like Queensryche did. But you could make the arguement that Queensryche really isn't that complex musically, and I agree, there not. The only reason I think they get the tag "progressive" is because they were the first metal band to incorporate odd time sigs and inverted chords. So in reality I guess I'm gonna go with Symphony X, amazing musicianship and technical prowess. Without as much wankery as bands tend incorporate these days. Plus the classical element in their music is a definate plus.

15.11.2007 - 07:36
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by joaquin on 24.10.2007 at 16:33

well i say dream theater

Also an easy choice for me

Although full credit to Opeth, Queensryche, and Communic, these are other prog bands that i listen too on a daily basis.
17.11.2007 - 23:47
Smurfophagist
Definitely, Dream Theater. It is a band that has it all. My second choice would be Opeth. But Dream Theater is one of the best bands I ever listened to.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
18.11.2007 - 00:55
In Chaos
I think my favorite prog metal band would be Communic, awesome band.
10.12.2007 - 20:03
RockeRoy
Between the buried and me
Opeth
Dream theater

Between the buried and me's new album "Colors" is Maybe the best album ever in my opinion
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 16:28
FOOCK Nam
What about Winds, from Norway, Vanishing Point of Australia...
11.12.2007 - 17:02
NaittsirK
French band Adagio kicks ass!
Their melodies have a clear connection with Classical music....True progressive metal!
----
Between two worlds I am quested not to be...
11.12.2007 - 17:06
NaittsirK
Written by FOOCK Nam on 11.12.2007 at 16:28

What about Winds, from Norway, Vanishing Point of Australia...

Yeah Winds rule....but they would suck if it wasnt for HellHammer...
And when you hear Winds than you shall be illuminated and you'll realize that HellHammer is the best drummer everrrrr!!!
----
Between two worlds I am quested not to be...